When you call, mention priority code 174R-P60Z

Rating and Reviews: Warm Audio WA12 Mic Pre

Based on the API 312 preamp, this pre gives you 71 dB of thick, rich, colorful, vintage-style gain, with a variable-impedance switch for two tonal options.

"Get this preamp!" submitted June 1, 2013

By Jason A in Tucson, AZ
Musical Background: Audio Engineer
Music Style: Rock, funk, electronic
Overall: This thing sounds much, much more expensive than it is. The highs are ultra smooth with a rich punchy midrange and an overall "warm" but still detailed sound. Can't say enough good things about what this unit will do for your recordings. Blows away tube and solid state preamps costing twice as much and more. I had an issue with mine after much heavy use and the owner of the company (Bryce Young) dealt with me directly and shipped out a replacement unit promptly. You seriously cannot go wrong with the wa12!

"Great Buy!" submitted November 4, 2014

By C W in Springdale, AR
Overall
Musical Background: Producer/engineer/musician that has been involved in the music scene in various capacities for over 15 years.
Music Style: Specializes in pop, rap, rock, jazz, and fusion genres.
Sound: I would characterize the sound of this preamp as warm and clear. Not necessarily clean/transparent. Adds color and character. Simply use the tone button in or out to your liking. I like to engage the tone button, then the pad button, and then push the gain knob pretty hot. Feature: To me the most useful features are the simultaneous dual outputs and the tone button. Ease of Use: Super easy to get a great sound from with this preamp. Like I said before, it lacks features but that's part of the beauty. It's so simple and there's nothing to overthink when you're trying to track. Has all the standard connections you would expect from a preamp that allows you to integrate with your existing recording setup. Quality: From what I can tell, unit is very well made and doesn't feel cheap. Heavy metal casing and great attention to detail. Knobs and buttons don't feel like they're going to break on you after a few uses. Value: This preamp is definitely worth it's selling price. Manufacturer Support: Had the pleasure of talking with the owner. Gave great advise on picking out this piece and seems very down to earth. Quick response times. Very easy to reach. The Wow Factor: Simplicity with great sound is the wow factor for me. Overall: Love this preamp. I pair with a Neumann TLM103 a lot of the time and I haven't been able to make sources sound bad. I almost always use the tone function. I have a set of Focurite ISA828 pre's and they're are my pristine clean pre's. I use this a ton on vocals, guitar, and kick/snare. I'm taking stars off of features, simply because it doesn't have a lot of the things you're other preamp/channel strip type pre's have. Doesn't have metering (LED or VU), compression, EQ, bass rolloff, nor does it have a trim for the gain. However, at this price point these are not really strong complaints. Just some things for people to consider. One feature I DO LOVE, is the ability to run both outputs at the same time. This allows me to run one raw signal to my DAW and the other output signal through a piece of outboard gear such as a compressor or verb/delay fx that I need to print when ever I'm on the road recording an artist/band. Overall this is a great investment at this price point. Pretty hard to beat considering it's made with the American made Cinemag transformers. Great sound when pushed a little with certain instruments/sources. One important detail, the gain know is stepped into increments. Small thing to worry about, but I know someone will want to know about it.

""Nice Mic Pre"" submitted December 18, 2013

By Ron J in Farmington, MN
Overall
Musical Background: 40 plus years...
Music Style: Rock, Blues
Overall: I am using the WA12 for recording vocals with a Rode K2. I also use it with a Bluebird for various vocals and at the lower (Bridge) position when recording acoustic guitar with an Avantone CK1 Pencil Mic on the 12th fret. I really like the warm character of this preamp. It puts some flavorful punch in the vocals and warms up the sound of my Alvarez Yairi in recorded (Studio One Producer) tracks. I also have a Pre-73 DLX, which is a nice mic pre but it's not quite as warm sounding (no pun intended) as the WA12. The WA12 is also very quiet, a must-have for the budget conscious, quality driven home recording studio enthusiast who needs Pro sounding vocal and instrument recordings. It sounds far more expensive than it's price point and is worth every penny. I am buying another one right after the Holidays.

"Search is over" submitted September 12, 2012

By Russ M in Canton, NC
Musical Background: Voice overs for 29 years
Music Style: Voice Overs
Overall: I do voice overs and have used many preamps including Avalon, UA, Focusrite and others. The Warm Audio WA12 is clean, has plenty of gain and it is unbelievable that it could be sold at this price. Better grab one before they come to their senses!

"Amazing product!" submitted April 9, 2014

By Fizzy Mitz in Fresno, CA
Overall
Musical Background: I've been producing music for a while. I play the keyboard, and bass guitar. I write and record my own songs
Music Style: Hip hop/RnB infused with electronica, rock, chillout
Overall: For the price this preamp is practically a steal! This item fits perfectly both for a professional studio or a home recording studio because it's so budget conscious. It uses Cinemag transformers witch will make any mic or guitar sound great, but it also has a character of it's own. It picks the low end very good and has a little punch in the mids, and the "tone" button is phenomenal. If you're in the market for a new preamp, you can't go wrong with the Wa12.

"incredible company support" submitted July 7, 2014

By Robert Lord in Errol, NH
Overall
Musical Background: I have been playing for 55 years and performing. I am a singer-songwriter. I play acoustic guitar and perform mainly in Canada.
Music Style: Maritime folk music along with country and old rock
Overall: I bought this pre from zzounds and have used it for a month. I was in the middle of recording when the power supply cooked on me this weekend. I contacted the Warm company and Bryce Young emailed me today to let me know that he was sending me another unit. My cuts are due next week so this will be a godsend as I have to leave for Newfoundland to play a couple folk festivals. I will be picking up another pre this fall and it will definitely be a Warm. They make my Mojave mikes come alive and my Shure SM81 sings. I not only value sound but customer service and Warm has my business.

"Worth every penny!" submitted August 27, 2012

By Howard P in Lesteville, SD
Musical Background: voice
Music Style: voice acting
Overall: I’m not review writer guy, so for me to do so means one thing. This product is great! I am so glade I got this product. I did do a lot of back and forth between GA 73. As a voice over producer I was looking for a certain sound WARM! this unit delivers.

When you call, mention priority code 174R-P60Z. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976