When you call, mention priority code 175V-TPJT

Rating and Reviews: Tech 21 Power Engine PW60

Pair this extension cab with your favorite preamp. It features a special-design speaker, 3-band active EQ, level control, and balanced XLR input and output.

Overall

"If you own a processor this is the amp you are looking for." submitted December 15, 2011

Music Style: metal
Sound: The sound is awesome. I unplugged my podhd500 from my fullstack and plugged it into the pw60 and made a minor eq adjustment on the pw60 and cranked it up and it sounded better than my stack just as loud and clearer sounding,more responsive etc. Not and full sounding but better tone. I'm confident if I had four of the pw60's it would sound better. The pw60's eq is what makes the difference. For studio use you could adjust the pw60's speaker to have more punch,twang,or lag for metal. I'm a metal guy so I was really impressed. Feature: The pw60 is light weight. Its like picking up a case of beer. The eq is awesome. Pretty bare bones unit. I think the ability to connect to other pw60's is its biggest asset. Ill defenatly be ordering more. If your looking for a amp for your podhd500 or any other processor the pw60 is it. Save your bank and your back. Its worth it for the sound and flexability.the only feature missing is a ohm selecter switch and the ability to plug it in to a 4x12 cab. But like I said buy 4 and your covered. Zzounds makes that very easy for anyone. Ease of Use: I'm only giving it a 9 because the plugs and controls are on the back. Its a pain at home but with a podhd500 that has a master volume its not to inconvienant and it does make it look better. Quality: What can I say looked great and made in the u.s.a. and I noticed it doesn't get real hot. All in all it should last. For the price I could buy 6 for the price of a 6505+ and matching cab. And have more versitility and sound just as good. Value: Great value $330 to sound better and only carry 33lbs Manufacturer Support: I've got there number if I ever need it. 1 year Warrenty should be good. I work my equiptment pretty hard. I had a solid state amp from another brand I won't mention and it blew in 3 days. The Wow Factor: Great retro boutique looking amp. Overall: Overall I think I finally found my signature amp. I'm gonna be following tech21 for a long time. I look for products that will give me the best sound with the most flexability. I don't have to have a Axe fx and a 2 atomic 2x12's for $4000 or a 6505+ and cab for $2000 that is a one trick pony unless I buy multiple pedals or processing gear. The pw60 and a podhd500 for $830 with give me the volume I need. Its light weight. Great tone. And the ability to add more speakers when my budget allows and when I come upon larger venues. Not to mention any pedal I buy in the future will work perfect with it. I don't know how many times I've bought a guitar or pedal just to be disappointed it sounds bad with my amp.

"No worries, lookin' to gig with it!" submitted April 5, 2005

Overall
Music Style: Blues, Rock, etc...
Sound: You must have some type of preamp/modeling device to run into this thing to get a good sound. It sounds very good with my POD. I doubt I'll ever need more than one. PLENTY of volume. I might get another if I want to go stereo, but I'll just run the line out to the board for now. Would like to have something like a "presence" knob to make the sound more crisp without messing with the low/mid/high knobs. But if you work at it you can get a very good tone. At first I was disappointed, but I found that cranking the level on the amp sends plenty of power to the speaker to get a good tone. Then, I just adjust the output level on the POD to the appropriate volume and it sounds great to me. Feature: Simple. It looks good, and has a Celestion Seventy 80 speaker. 1/4 in and XLR in. Level, High, Mid, Low, Ground Lift for XLR Out. That's it. Quality: Seems to be solid enough. Its light, which is a plus. Value: There isn't much to this thing, which is really the point of owning it. I guess you could get the parts and bolt something like this together, but might not be any cheaper or look as good. Manufacturer Support: No need yet. The Wow Factor: This thing looks cool. Clean, portable, Celestion speaker, cool vibe, great sound, light, very useful XLR out, not too noisy. All in all, its a great way to get some live use from your modeling pre. Overall: Can't complain. In fact I'm very happy with it.

"The Tech 21 Power Engine does exactly what the description says it will, and it does it well." submitted January 23, 2011

Musical Background: Active Musician, guitar builder
Music Style: Blues, Rock, Jazz, Reggae
Sound: The Tech21 Power Engine is excellent, the sound is exactly what I hear in my headphones from my preamp, only amplified. The sound reproduction is perfect. Feature: The Tech 21 is only for powering signal, 1 volume, 1 bass, 1 mid and 1 treble control, set the volume to desired loudness and everything else at 5 (dead center) and what you get from your effects/preamp is what is amplified. Ease of Use: The Tech 21 is easy to use out of the box, plug in your effects or your preamp, and turn on the power, adhust volume and you're on your way. Quality: Every thing is great, construction is high quality and the Tech 21 looks great Value: The Tech 21 is worth the price that I paid, definitely worth the money. Manufacturer Support: I haven't had any negative issues at all. The Wow Factor: This is a great addition to my gear, but I could live without it if I had never had it before, but now I wouldn't want to do without it, it looks great and sounds great. Overall: I don't feel that I will need to replace this for a while, it is a well made product and I will be using it for a long time.

"Excellent powered cab for guitarists." submitted September 18, 2011

Music Style: Jazz/Latin/Fusion
Sound: Excellent powered cab - very clean, warm and un-colored, as it should be. Whatever you put in, you get out. I am using it with different pres from Millennia, Line6, Mesa Boogie, Zoom and others, all with great results: just an amplified signal of the preamp plugged in, no change in tone. Powerful enough to play Jazz/Fusion gigs in small to mid sized clubs with drums and percussions. No problems. Feature: ALl the IN/OUT options one needs for daily gigs: XLR and 1/4 in. inputs and XLR out which parallel the input signal by-passing the on-board EQ. You can use this to add another Power Engine cab, or any other powered cab as well as feeding a house mixer. Ease of Use: Super easy: the on-board EQ allows to tailor response to room. Quality: Very well made, solid and nice looking too. Overall: Does exactly what I needed: add power to my existing rig, as required. Will keep it and buy a 2nd one too.

"Excellent, well thought out product" submitted September 2, 2011

Music Style: Jazz/Fusion/Latin
Sound: Clean and powerful enough for stage with a normal drummer - no breakups. Nice EQ to taylor response to taste/room, etc... Amplified my preamp withou adding coloration or other artifacts. Perfect for using pre-amps, pedals or digital modelers, such the PODs. Feature: Excellent IN/OUTs options - allows for XLR and 1/4 inputs and for a XLR output which takes its signal directly from your input, bypassing the on-board volume and eq circuits, which is the way it should be. They obviously talked to gigging musicians and added all the right features and none of the useless ones. The ground lifts can be useful as well. Ease of Use: Simple as can be - plug in and play - use the XLR out to go to the house mixer or to another Power Engine cab. Quality: Well mad and nice looking - Value: I feel the cover should have come with the product, at this price. Instead, I had to spend another 35 bucks to get one. Manufacturer Support: Never used it but, their website has all the docs and contact info should it be needed.

"Dangerously Simple" submitted May 24, 2011

Musical Background: hobbyist/engineer
Music Style: rock/metal
Sound: A 12-inch Celestion Seventy 80 and a quality solid state power amp. That's it. Whatever you put in you get out. Celestion makes better speakers, but you are only putting 60 watts across this one with a pre-amp of unknown quality and coloration. All in all, the 70/80 is a good all-around match for the Power Engine at a decent price. Feature: Understand, if you running ANY kind of modded pre-amp tones -- analog or digital -- the tonal qualities of your power section get in the way, not to mention amps with additional pre-amps. The Power Engine omits what you don't need -- IF you know what you are doing with your signal from the pups to the preamp. Once you get to the Power Engine, the direct out allows you to run to powered monitors, PAs, recording gear etc. VERY flexible. Think of it this way: What you are NOT spending on a Power Engine should go to a quality sound guy/PA rental. Ease of Use: So simple it is almost confusing. High-Mid-Low controls are VERY sensitive and should probably stay around 12-o-clock. Master Level gradually loads the speaker until about 12-o-clock, which probably is the minimum volume level for full-range tones. If you diming the level, order another Power Engine and daisy chain them, you are playing at very LOUD stage volumes, too loud for sweet spot of this power section. ALL of your distortion/drive should be coming from your effects/pre-amp to max out this little gizmo. Having said that, 3-o-clock is PLENTY loud for power trios in small venues with a quality PA. Quality: I may have gotten one of the last fully made in USA units. Don't know about that, just what I heard. In any event, seems bullet proof and has a great rep. Value: Again, IF you want just a power section to voice your tones -- particularly in a lightweight, giggable, rugged solid state package -- this is pretty much your only choice. Can it serve up 100% Fender, Marshall, and Mesa tones? No. But depending on the quality of your pre-amps, it can get very, very close -- for all of them. Manufacturer Support: Don't know first hand, but Tech 21 has a great rep for customer support too. (Which is why I was willing to pull the trigger on a warehouse resealed unit for $300.) The Wow Factor: Either you get the value and simple beauty of what Tech 21 is doing here or you don't. Basically this box, a couple pedals, and not even a sound guy who knows how to mic a cab (or a venue that HAS a mic) and you are still good to go. Overall: If this doesn't give at least 10 yrs good service for practice and small gigs, I'll be shocked.
11 of 12 people (91.67%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Tech 21 Power Engine Rocks" submitted August 13, 2012

By a customer from aol.com in Grand Island, FL
Musical Background: Professional muscian with over 35 yrs experience
Music Style: Mostly classic rock, blues and some country
Overall: I purchased the Tech 21 Power Engine after reading many reviews and listening to sound samples using the POD HD500 . The quality of the sound is outstanding for a solidstate amp. I am running the HD500 with the Tech 21 PE. The amp is plenty loud enough for most any situation. Plus you can send the xlr out to the board. It does'nt have the warmth of a tube amp. But it truly sounds great for $300.00 and play as pay from ZZounds. You can't go wrong

"Best amp to use with amp/FX modelers" submitted December 22, 2011

Musical Background: Experienced pro-retired/weekend warrior
Music Style: all things rock
Sound: I had just stepped into the world of digital modeling (tube snob). I got this to amplify my new Digitech RP1000 multi FX pedal which I had been running to PA and monitors because it sounded terrible thru my tube amps. This system is the last piece of the puzzle in my new search for tone. My new pedal always sounded great at home in the bedroom at low volume thru a tube amp's clean channel or headphones, but when I tried to play at gig volume thru an amp, it sounded terrible and I had to just use the PA which was ok but not ideal. The Power Engine 60 has changed that. All my hard won pre sets now sound phemomenal and sound exactly like what I create in my headphones. It is loud enough to play with a drummer. If you need more power you can link as many of these as you want together with XLR cables. I use 2 and run them in stereo to both sides of the stage. Feature: There aren't that many-THERE IS NO PREAMP SECTION-This is just clean power going to a 12" Celstion speaker, with 1/4 and XLR ins and XLR out, 3 band eq and volume, 60 watt power amp. I just leave th eq's at 12 o'clock because they are kind of a pain to access on the back panel. I set the volume where I need it and use a BOSS 9-band EQ at the end of the line for any final EQ tweaks. Send the XLR out to your board and you will get the same signal going to the speaker. No miking required! Ease of Use: Pretty cut and dry here - plug in - find the right volume and rock out! Like I said earlier, eq and volume are located on the back. Hard to get to and see to adjust on a dark stage, so an 8 on ease of use. I send the XLR out signal to the PA when gigging which eliminates having to mic it. One less thing to set up. Quality: I've only had it a few days but it has a Celestion speaker and seems to be very sturdy and well constructed. Lighter than my tube combos by about 20 lbs. I also have a Tech 21 Sansamp pedal that I've had for 14 years and it still works great. Value: This is the only product I know of it's kind, essentially a clean and transparent powered monitor for amplifying guitar amp modeling devices and other preamp signials without added colorartion. Since there is nothing else like it, I guess it's the best value if you are looking for something to power your modeling unit or preamp. Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed it from Tech 21. I will say ZZ Sounds customer service is top notch. I think they really care about working class musicians by enabling us to buy gear on a 4 payment plan. It certainly made it easier for me. This was my 2nd purchase from them and I will be coming back to them. I live in NC and i get my stuff in 3 days with free shipping. The Wow Factor: Nice looking cab with a cool retro vibe. Other musicians come up and ask about it at gigs because it sounds fantastic and it's different than the typical half stacks you see. I could still make music without it. I basically got it in hopes that it would make the $400 Digitech FX processor I bought sound good and I am very glad I did. This is the absolute best solution for amplifying a modeling pedal. I'd repalce it if it was stolen. Overall: I expect this to be the last guitar amp I'll ever need.

"The PE60 fits the modelling bill." submitted June 3, 2009

Overall
Music Style: rock, blues, modern country, light jazzy funk
Sound: An extremely convenient power amp/speaker configuration...easy to set up, haul around, tear down.... good-looking and light-weight. The PE60 is a great solution for any type of analog or digital preamp application; it takes the input source and just amplifies it without coloration. Anyone who's been battling with their guitar amp's inability to reproduce pleasing sounds from a processor will cherish the PE60. It sits well in a studio setting and mic's up great. It's loud enough to fit in with most rehearsals and gigs. Feature: Features: Volume; 3-band (active) EQ; TRS and XLR inputs; XLR output. For what the PE60 is designed to be, the features are good...you don't really need anything else. The On-board EQ, in particular, is a helpful extra for mathing the output to differing environments ... small room, large room, studio, band practice. Ease of Use: As easy to use as one would expect. ONE GRIPE I have - the controls are tucked around on the back-side and underneath on the bottom of the chassis. TOTALLY A DRAG. The consolation is that you won't need to dial pot's and plug/un-plug that much, so it's not a huge downside. Other than this obvious design flaw, the PE60 is a great piece of gear. For any player who applies digital or analog modelling/emulation in their musical world, the PE60 is an in-expensive and convenient piece of gear that will always be useful. Quality: My PE60 seems to be built well. The cab WILL resonate on occasion, but no more so than many smaller cab's. Some of that is based on what you're feeding into it..... EQ'ing either your external feed, or the PE60, will fix it. The build quality itself is very good. Tech 21 is made in the USA .... in this age of cheap Chinese products being pushed into everyone's life as 'inexpensive alternatives', it's nice to know that there's still some true quality US gear backed by a committed manufacturer that you can actually TALK TO. Value: The PE60 is not a 'hign-end' product, but delivers high-end results. That's the real value to be had with the unit. Manufacturer Support: I've only had e-mail interactions to-date; but they're always responsive, with useful commentary. The Wow Factor: I own it. I can stand to have another one for stereo applications. Overall: See other sections. I'm a big fan of Tech 21, and the PE60 in particular. It fits a nitch, and solves that part of the player's equation regarding how to process a modeller's feed.

"Tech 21 Power Engine... go Stereo!" submitted December 2, 2003

Overall
Music Style: Rock, Christian Contemporary.
Sound: Buy two and go stereo! I love my rig. I use a Digitech RP2000 and go out stereo through a double direct box to two Power Engines. It sounds great! Feature: The XLR in and out is very useful. Manufacturer Support: I have communicated with the staff at Tech 21 and they were very responsive and helpful.

When you call, mention priority code 175V-TPJT. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976