When you call, mention priority code 1ZN-7SQ4

Rating and Reviews: Squier '70s Jazz Bass

Squier's recreation of the classic '70s Jazz Bass is packed with the same playability and in-your-face J Bass tone that made the original so sought-after.

"VM 70's J Bass" submitted April 26, 2015

By Edward F in New York, NY
Overall
Musical Background: Playing Bass 37 Years.
Music Style: Jazz, Funk and Fusion
Overall: Excellent instrument. Owned it for about a year. I put Dimarzio Ultra Jazz Bass Pickups in it. This was just a personal preference as the stock pickups are fine. The service from zzounds was also excellent. This is my seventh bass and I use it more than the other six (Pedulla, Tune, Kramer, Fender and Ibanez). I also have the Squier VM Fretless J Bass another fine instrument. People should stop looking at the name on the headstock and judge the instrument on how it performs!!!!!!

"Great Bass, Good sound" submitted December 4, 2014

By Frank R in Houston, TX
Musical Background: 5 years of bass playing 3 1/2 years of stage experience
Music Style: Funk, Metal, Jazz fusion, Reggae
Overall: Let me start off by saying i have not made anything more then some bridge adjustments to my bass, it is in need of truss rod adjustments but even so the intonation is pretty damn close to how it should be. THE TONE! its got the almost Geddy /joes garage zappa tone with its own colors too it, the necks got a fat round mellow tone, the bridge is bright and gives a great jaco sounding result. Very well setup bass nice feel and the neck is a DREAM. i am very much happy with the bass and believe the soft maple body makes a huge impact in terms of the tone this baby has compared to most basses in this price range. The only problem i could point out about this bass is one of the 4 neck bolts on the back of the body is screwed in crooked and the neck is slightly offset from the body in the neck pocket. Nothing majorly wrong, tuners hold there own and i rarely have to make any adjustments, but i will be changing the bridge, and pickups out of this bass. Hope this review helps and that others may enjoy this bass like i have :)

"Awesome bass!" submitted March 6, 2016

By Thomas Hunt in Wood River, IL
Musical Background: 30 years playing bass
Music Style: Rock, metal, blues
Overall: When I say awesome I mean it...not awesome for the money, but awesome. Got it out of the box, tuned it up, lowered a couple strings and it plays like a champ. I got my money's worth and more with this bass. Will probably end up changing the bridge down the road, but would have done that with the American or Standard jazz bass as well. Got the natural finish. Its beautiful...feels great and plays even better!

"Squire Vintage Modified 4 String Bass" submitted September 8, 2014

By a customer from chuckboggs.com in Petersburg, WV
Musical Background: Professionally 35+ years Bass player
Music Style: Classic Rock , Blues , R& B,
Overall: Purchased this Bass about 5 weeks ago. I a seasoned Bassist and heard that the quality of these instruments was way below the price point . Out of the box I did have to set the action to my liking. Finish and overall construction of this instrument was spot on. Hardware was solid and quality material . The frets above the 14th fret need some filing on the edges. Buy one and see for yourself . You will not be disapponted.

"People love this bass!" submitted April 3, 2015

By Edgar R in Issaquah, WA
Overall
Musical Background: 30+ years experience, touring musician.
Music Style: Blues-Punk, Country, Metal
Overall: I get so many compliments on the looks of the this beauty. It's my first Jazz Bass, always played Thunderbirds before this. My back loves this lighter bass, I love that it sounds so thick. Very impressed with this Squier. The Quality reminds me of the old Japanese Squier's of the 80's

"Amazing bass for the price." submitted December 7, 2015

By Blake F in Fayetteville, AR
Overall
Overall: This bass sounds great running through my Hartke Bass Attack preamp. The tone is awesome and it came nearly set up the way I like it. I had to make very few adjustments even to set the intonation. Nothing about this bass can be beat in this price range. Period.

"Squire Has Made Leaps And Bounds" submitted January 6, 2015

By William E in Durham, NC
Musical Background: 23 years Live performance Tech crew
Music Style: Rock, Metal
Overall: I recall a time when Squire meant low cost, low quality instruments you regretted purchasing. Times have changed and so has Squire. Quality control has really been tightened up. I cannot stress enough how impressed I am with the overall quality of my new Squire Vintage Modified '70s Jazz Bass. The neck is amazing. The pickups sound awesome. The finish is flawless. i cannot find one thing wrong or sub par with this bass at all. I also own a Fender Precision. This Squire Jazz sounds and plays every bit as well. It arrived quickly and the setup was pretty close to perfect...I only had to set the intonation. I really love this bass and you will too. They are really high quality and an amazing value.
10 of 11 people (90.91%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Excellent" submitted May 25, 2014

By Edward F in New York, NY
Musical Background: Playing bass 35 years
Music Style: Funk Fusion Jazz
Overall: Product quality and sound is unbelievable. Never been happier with a purchase. The pay as you play plan is a big plus also.

"This is a Squire? " submitted December 1, 2016

By William L in Detroit, MI
Overall
Musical Background: Touring and recording Professional.
Music Style: Whatever's paying
Overall: This is a Squire? I own several Fender's including a 75' Jazz, first run Geddy, Lee and a custom shop Jazz. I am proud to stand this Bass next to them. For $350, it has everything a seasoned pro would want. If your an entry level player you'll do backflips owning it, and it won't break Mom and Dad's bank. zZounds shipped it fast, and with their payment plan it's a win win. Only changes I'll be making is a Hipshot bridge and extender and a tortise pickguard, but I do that to all my Basses. Cheers!

"Squire 70' Jazz Bass" submitted January 10, 2016

By Steve M in Las Vegas , NV
Musical Background: 30 years, guitar, bass, keyboard
Music Style: Rock, classes rock, blues, country
Overall: The bass was just what I was looking for, I owned a Fender Jazz bass in 1972. This bass is must better quality and looks great.

"Best Bang for your Buck" submitted March 22, 2014

By Randy Singleton in Elizabethton, TN
Overall
Musical Background: I began playing over 30 years ago and currently play with a praise group at our church
Music Style: Contemporary Christian, Southern Gospel, and Hymns mostly.
Overall: I have owned this bass for over a year now play it regularly in a praise and worship group at our church. I bought it used with a new set of strings on it and have not had to do anything to it. The tone and action are both superb making it the best playing bass I have ever owned. I regularly receive compliments on how cool the natural finish looks with the black accents. I recently played a Mexican Fender at our local guitar store with thoughts of upgrading, but it looked and felt just like my Squier painted red with the action set too high. That Fender cost over twice what I paid for my Squier and didn't play near as well. My guitar has the Duncan designed pickups and the ad above mentioned Fender designed pickups with that being the only difference between this one and the one I own.

"Fantastic specimen" submitted June 24, 2016

Overall
Overall: The bass was perfectly set up right out the box. The sounds I can get out of it are delicious. Affordable, easy to play, and a joy to behold! (Seriously, that glossy maple neck, mmmmm!) Please note: kindly disregard the rating for "Manufacturer Support", as I have not needed to contact the manufacturer.

"Excellent Bass for the Price!!" submitted October 21, 2016

By Tiffany Snelgrove in Dundee, FL
Overall
Musical Background: I started playing violin at age 13, then taught myself guitar at age 14 and then started learning to play bass about 8 years ago
Music Style: Classic rock, blues, soul, hard rock, pop, reggae and a little bit more.
Overall: This bass is awesome! It plays perfect right out of the box and has such a versatile sound. The neck is super easy to play and feels good in your hand! I can't put this beauty down. zZounds' 4 month payment plan is the best and I wouldn't have been able to buy my dream bass without them. Thanks guys, you have a loyal customer here!!!

"Very nice bass for the price" submitted March 20, 2014

By Algernon M in CHICAGO, IL
Music Style: Jazz , Blues, Classic Rock, Funk
Overall: Bass plays very well.....construction is quite good for the price range. will be upgrading pickups and maybe an preamp soon.

When you call, mention priority code 1ZN-7SQ4. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976