When you call, mention priority code 157L-GQZ9

Rating and Reviews: Sony MDR-7506 Headphones

Perfect for location recording, the truly comfortable, foldable Sony MDR-7506 headphones are built to last -- and get loud enough to hear everything on set.

"BEST headphones EVER" submitted April 17, 2007

Overall
Musical Background: Active bedroom player, hobbyist, fanatic.
Music Style: punk, emo, classical, drum, rock
Sound: The sound produced by these headphones rival any pair Ive ever worn. It is so crisp and clean and every detail can be distinctly identified. I use them when Im in the studio or playing drums to my MP3. They get loud, reduce the live noise from my kit so I can concentrate on my playing and they dont leave my ears ringing. Feature: It has a soft carrying case which is good to prevent dust buildup but I use the phones everyday. It has a 1/4 inch connector which helps me plug it into my Tascam. Ease of Use: The phones produce the natural sound of your equipment. So without much editing and mastering, what you put in, youll be able to hear with the MDRs. Quality: One thing that worries me is the folding capability. Im somewhat of a baby when it comes to expensive equipment and I tend to baby the headphone ear cushion so I dont fold it much. However, the silk-like padding is uber comfortable and hasnt torn on me yet. Ive owned them for 4 years now. Value: If youre a musician and music is your passion, you need to have a pair just like these. I promise youve never heard anything better. Manufacturer Support: I havent needed to contact Sony on this product. The Wow Factor: The phones look cool but Im not so much into the design as I am the functionality of it. Its everything I need to get the job done and I enjoy listening to music through them. Try playing a computer game through them and hear sounds you never knew were there. Overall: until these break down, I will own no other pair, and when they do, Ill buy another one.

"Now THESE Are Headphones!" submitted March 6, 2011

By a customer from MSN.com
Musical Background: Mastering Engineer, Recording Engineer, MIDI Musician
Music Style: I receive a wide variety of material to record amd/or master
Sound: These cans are very accurate, with a slight pump in the low end. They work well for mixing a live venue, or studio work. And at less than $90 bucks a pop, you'll be able to buy plenty of them for all the musicians if you're planning to have a small band of five or so people use them for monitoring instruments, or vocal tracks. There's a little leakage (more so if someone has a phobia about wearing them on both ears); but nothing that can't be controlled with a few tweaks on the compressor gating adjustments if needed. Feature: They have the standard 1/4" phone jack spin-off over top of the 1/8" mini plug, and collapse down nicely into a tight package for storage. Quality: As an example of the build quality, I can say that I've had at least four pairs of the 7506's for OVER TWENTY YEARS. They have been exposed to many different musicians over the years in the recording studio, and the only things I've replaced are the earpads. In fact, I just replaced the earpads on my oldest pair (22 years old) two days ago, and gave them to my 13 yr old son. He couldn't believe how pristine looking they were, and how incredible they still sound. I told him that was because I always made people sign a form saying if they abused (or broke) any equipment while at the studio, they were responsible to pay for it. Plus, in the last five to six years I always referred to them as the 'vintage studio headsets'. That, in itself, always made people respect them. Only one person ever threw a tantrum while recording (as well as threw the 7506's across the room onto a sofa), no damage. Value: The price of these headphones is exceptional. Overall: If for some reason one of my six sets of 7506's should fail, I would replace it with same. It's a no-brainer.

"Great value for the money in a field sound mixer's headphone!" submitted November 24, 2006

Musical Background: Veteran sound recordist, professional touring sideman
Music Style: All styles on electric bass
Sound: The Sony 7506 Studio headphones have become the standard in film and television field sound recording. I've been a film sound recordist for 20 years and prior to using the 7506 phones, and their predecessor the MDR-V6, I used what everyone else used, the Beyer DT 48. The sound in the 7506 is clean and clear. There is a low end accentuation which you have to get used to. This helps me hear rumble and low end hum better in a noisy environment and I see it as an asset. Just remember not to roll too much bass off because of it. Feature: These are barebones headphones. They come with a screw off adapter to use for either 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch jacks. The cable is tightly coiled and connected to a single side. The driver housing is thin aluminum. The ear cushions are lambskin and very comfortable. The over the head connecting rod is covered by padded vinyl. The phones are of the surround the ear design but do little to isolate your ear from outside noise, the way the DT 48s do. In fact, the 7506 phones conduct outside noise well, especially wind noise. If you are in an outside windy situation, you must cup your hands over the phones to see if your mic is clean from the wind. This is hard to do if you are booming too. I'm getting close to designing some windjammer style muffs to pull over each phone to cut the wind noise. Sony, why don't you do this instead? Ease of Use: Uh, you take them out of the package, plug them in and start listening! Quality: The main reason these have become so popular with film and tv sound mixers is that they sound decent and are CHEAP! Compared to the Beyer DT48s which are around $400.00 now, the Sony 7506 phones work just as well. I can buy four sets for the cost of one DT48. I've never had a failure. I've used them for 20 years and I've got some that are still working from then. They aren't pretty anymore, but they still work. All you have to do is purchase the lambskin replacement earpads and your 7506 phones look nearly new again. Sony's quality and fit and finish are high and the phones are dependable. I just bought a new set not long ago and may buy some more. Value: For what I use these phones for, the critical listening of field recording for film and television production, these are a GREAT deal. Again, I would have pay nearly $400.00 for one set of Beyer DT48 phones and those clamp your head so tightly you get a headache a couple of hours into the shoot. Plus, if you kill or lose one of these sets, you're only out a hundred bucks! The Wow Factor: I can't say that these phones are sexy, but they don't look ugly or stupid like many on the market today. And they have a very low profile so you aren't ripping your ears off everywhere! Overall: As stated earlier, I've used these phones, and the earlier model (MDR-V6) for 20 years and unless something comes out better for the same price or cheaper, I'll keep using them. Best value in a high end pro-level field headphone! Try a set today!
42 of 45 people (93.33%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great piece of studio gear." submitted August 3, 2011

Overall
Sound: Great overall sound. I was also really impressed by how much these 'phones block outside noise. When you've got them on, you can't hear anything except the music coming through them. They have a good, balanced sound...not too bright and not too much bass so as to muddy up the mix. Feature: Uh, they're headphones... I do like the extra length of the cable...great for when playing guitar and having the flexibility to move around a bit. Ease of Use: Anyone who finds these at all difficult to use probably shouldn't operate heavy machinery. Quality: Very solid. Value: I would say that these are probably a bit cheaper than the comparable 'phones on the market...very reasonable. Manufacturer Support: N/A The Wow Factor: Huh? Overall: When searching for new headphones, I had narrowed it down to these and 2 others. I'm glad I chose these.

Sony MDR-7506 Headphones Customer Review submitted March 3, 2007

Overall
Musical Background: active listener, bedroom DJ.
Music Style: Detroit Techno, House, High Tech Soul, Rock, Heavy Metal, and Rap.
Sound: SOunds much better than any other set of headphones I have ever used. That includes some of the cheaper Sennheiser's and anything by Koss, Stanton, and Gemeni. Great bass and clear highs. Never had any distortion come out of these badboys either. Feature: Comes with a bag and a screw on adapter for 1/4" headphone jacks. Keeping it simple is key with me. Ease of Use: Plug it in and go! Quality: The soft ear pads feel great, and they don't shred to pieces when they get a little wet from sweat. I can use them working out and not having to worry ruining them. I am not a big fan of needing to buy new sets of things yearly, especially when they cost over $100. I've had mine for a little over 6 years now, and they barely show any wear. The Wow Factor: Comfortable and loud, enough said! Overall: I am about to buy a new set of these headphones. I figure that the life of these, for as much as I use them, to be right around 5 years. Mine have gone above and beyond the expectations that I had for them when I bought them. As long as Sony continues to make them I will buy them. There is not another model for me. They have worked for me cutting the grass, working out, in the airport and on planes, and going from my bedroom to friends houses for DJing fun. In my opinion it is the only Sony product I have owned that is this great.

"Best headphones and at an affordable price" submitted December 24, 2006

Musical Background: Producer
Music Style: hiphop,rnb,jazz,funk,soul
Sound: I heard things using these headphones that I wasn't able to with my last pair of headphones. The bass response is fairly accurate. The best sound I have found for this price. Quality: The build quality is a lot better than some headphones of this price I have seen. The design of the ear cups allow you to listen to the headphones for hours without heavy strain on the ears. Value: I feel like I've got my moneys worth. These are by far the best headphones. They feel and sound like they should be worth double what they sell for. Overall: Best headphones in the price range. Accurate bass response and durable design.I would seriously recommend picking up these headphones.

"The king of headphones" submitted May 11, 2007

By a customer from telia.com
Music Style: All kinds of music
Sound: The sound quality of these headphones are truly amazing, Sometimes they even gives me goosebumps due to the truly wonderful sound they produce. They work for all kinds of music, they have no limits at all. Low end bass (i mean really low) is massive, the headphones are almost vibrating, Higher frequencies is no problem neither.. The only time they sound bad is when listening to a bad recording Feature: Dont know what to say here, Its a really good pair of headphones :) Ease of Use: Plug it in and turn up the volume Quality: The quality is outstanding. it truly is Value: It's defintively worth more than anything else! Manufacturer Support: Bought them like 5 yrs. ago and i havent had a single problem with em. The Wow Factor: They look good, They sound is great, Quality is awesome.. Cant be better? Overall: I'll keep these headphones until the day i die

"The best" submitted June 20, 2005

Music Style: Rock, Industrial, and Techno
Sound: Superb. I have yet to hear a set of headphones I prefer, and I've heard a LOT of different phones. They're very accurate, and extraordinarily clear, and not flattering in the least. Simultaneously, they don't have the grating tinniness or deflated sterility of many monitors I'm an accuracy junkie, but these headphones also please my bass-addicted, trance-loving sister and my hip-hop/Dave Matthews brother who owns another set for himself. They're great backup for mixing, bass and guitar out of an amp sim, and for general listening. They strain the iPod a bit, but still sound great. Feature: The included 1/4" adapter is great, and the bag is very useful. The phones are sturdy but the earmuffs aren't, so if you're carrying them around in a backpack all the time, the bag will keep them from getting shredded. They fold up nicely into quite a compact package, as well. Quality: I've had two pair (I bequeathed my first pair to the aforementioned brother), and my oldest pair is still going strong after six years, with no loose jacks, crackly cables, or busted headbands. And trust me, they've been used heavily. If you break these, you really need to learn how to control your temper. Value: Best set of phones under $1K, that I've heard at least. Unbeatable. Manufacturer Support: Never had to contact them. I consider that the BEST customer support. The Wow Factor: Looks pretty squat and chunky, and sometimes the cables they run on the outside get in the way of the rotation of the earpieces, but that's quibbling. These headphones rock. There's a reason they turn up everywhere in pro music.

"Sony MDR7506 Studio Headphones" submitted July 2, 2014

By Gary S in Wilmington, NC
Overall
Musical Background: I play the radio, DVD player, etc...
Music Style: All music.
Overall: These headphones were just what I expected, GREAT! I knew that Sony manufactured good headphones and these are no different. Great sound reproduction, not unrealistic bass, just right. AND I got them a great price from zZounds, thanks to price matching and fast free shipping. I recommend these headphones and zZounds.

"Perfect DJ phones, casual listener: pick something else." submitted March 7, 2008

Musical Background: DJ, Hobby producer
Music Style: House, Techno
Sound: Disco smile. High end is too high for my sensitive ears, and the bass is too loud. Other than that, these are incredibly clear. I use them to DJ in noisy clubs and they are great DJ headphones. Also, when using them as a second reference when producing music, they are pretty good. Feature: Headphones with an included bag that I never use. No features, but do you need "features" on headphones? They do fold up nicely and they do include a 1/4 inch adapter. Ease of Use: Headphones, uhh, how hard can they be to use? You plug them in and put them over your ears. Quality: Pretty durable, but the pleather on the ear pieces is deteriorating after about 2 years of use, which is acceptable I guess. Value: Pretty good value. They sound better than 100 bucks. I wish the frequency response was flatter though. They are super comfortable, and I'm pretty picky about the comfort of headphones. Manufacturer Support: Never needed support. The Wow Factor: These are my favorite headphones thus far to DJ with. That's what I bought these for. I would not use them for casual use without putting the signal through an EQ first though. The bass is okay, but again, too much high end. Overall: My next pair of headphones I will buy will definitely have a flatter frequency response. I love the comfort, enclosed earpieces, and that they fold up nice and small. I don't like the high end on these phones. Older people might not mind so much because as you get older, your sensitivity to high end decreases. But, I have taken very good care of my hearing, so I am pretty sensitive to the high end. Perfect for DJing. Not good for casual listening. Okay for a second reference.

"Go-To Cans..." submitted October 12, 2012

By Earl O in Green Bay, WI
Overall
Musical Background: 40 years guitar wannabee (">) , Broadcast Engineer/Ham Radio/Live Front of House
Music Style: Country. Blues,Jazz, Heavy Metal, Christian, I listen to everything...
Overall: Well, when I want to analyze my audio- and I mean nitpik- I go to these MDR-7506's. I am a tv broadcast engineer, amateur radio operator, and front of house engineer for live performances and use these headphones. Little coloration, smooth response, reasonably comfortable and most of all designed and built tuff enough for the road. If you want an ipod headset look elsewhere, as the cord is heavier and for proffessional use. No frills headphones for accurate monitoring.

"Do whatever you have to do to get yourself a pair!" submitted July 31, 2003

By a customer from pcdr.net
Overall
Sound: I love the sound these cans produce. I listen to my own voice all day, so it makes me feel less insignificant and weak when my voice BOOMS into my own ears. Seriously though, I do some music production as well and these are top notch. Feature: The only problem I've had with these is where the wire goes into the ear cup. It keeps coming out and then I've had to open them up and re saulder to keep them tight...I'm anal. Quality: If I were to compare these headphones to a piece of Military equipment, they would be an M1A1 Abrams Tank. Value: They will last you quite a few years...well worth what you pay for them.

Sony MDR-7506 Headphones Customer Review submitted May 9, 2003

Overall
Sound: Excellent Sound - Never owned professional headphones before but I have now purchased 3 of these. I can now again hear the details in music I thought I would never hear again. Ironic the loud music I enjoyed in my youth robbed me of the details in todays music. These headphones are great. Don't expect the pounding bass though - You get a clear reproduction of music produced by your music system. Easy to listen to for hours.

Sony MDR-7506 Headphones Customer Review submitted January 21, 2011

Overall
Quality: I first purchased these headphones back in the year 2000. They JUST broke. Just now. They worked long after the padding wore down. Ridiculous quality. These lasted through years of DJing and studio production. And they always sounded amazing. You'd be insane to spend money on something else. Overall: The best. Period.

"Classic headphones." submitted March 6, 2009

Musical Background: music fanatic
Music Style: rock,hard rock,grunge,metal,blues
Sound: I think that the Sony 7506 are excellent.The sound quality is superb. The way these sound with the sound on the middle setting(or should I say the way the studio engineers use it) it sounds really accurate and great for use in the studio. For home use however when I'm just hanging out im my room I use extra bass and treble boost and this makes them sound a lot better. The bass and treble still sound really even when I use them this way and the vocals still sound great and not drowned out. I've owned a pair of V600s before and I think that the 7506 model not only sound better they are also in my opinion more comfortable. They aren't too loose or too tight and I can use them for hours before I need to take them off and listen to my speakers. People say they should listen to opera and DVD commentaries and things like that when they use these. Yes I think these headphones do a great job for accurately listening to the human voice (try listening to some of your favorite vocalists when wearing these and you'll find yourself getting singing along). I also think the bass sound is great some peoples say they prefer the V600s because they feel like they're getting a deeper bass sound but I think the bass sound on the 7506 is not only more accurate it sounds better. The treble is also really good nice and clear. The online price of these on this sight cannot be beat. They may cost more than the V6 or the V600 but for the amount of time I use this professional model is worth it. Feature: This product included an electronics catalouge and a stereo adapter. Some people say the cord is long enough as it is but I prefer using an extra cord(not included) because I sit pretty far away from the stereo when I listen to my music, play video games, and listen to movies and television while watching them and I don't want to feel a pull. Also a bit of advice if the ear pads wear away to the point where they're falling apart don't throw the headphones away you can buy extra ear pads for not very much money. The pads that originally came with the phones aren't all that durable but the phones should and can last you a long,long time. Ease of Use: If you've got a great stereo you can get deeper bass and clearer treble with these and the vocals sound great. I can add extra bass and treble boost to make these sound better and they give out great volume without being painful to the ears. When I bought these from Amazon.com and received them for Memorial Day weekend in 2008 I immediately plugged them into my stereo listened to some rock music and was blown away by how good these sound.When you get used to these you will want to keep them for a long, long time. Quality: This product when kept in good conditon will last you a lot of years. The ear pads these have aren't all that durable but you can order more online. These phones have a thick cord and come with a bag to carry them in and keep them nice. Value: These cost only 100$ and for the sound quality and comfort these give they seem like would cost more if you tried to buy them anywhere else except online. Manufacturer Support: I paid for quicker service and received it. I did not havet wait very long at all for these to come because they shipped them from the UPS. The Wow Factor: These are cool looking headphones. I like the way these look especially with the words STUDIO MONITOR on the headband. These don't look as pretty or sleak as some other models but that doesn't matter because I didn't buy them for the way they look I bought them for the way they sound and feel. Overall: These are my favorite headphones and If I foolishly had them stolen from some one or lost them I would buy another pair of these in a heartbeat.

"You need these. No other words are necessary." submitted September 7, 2006

Overall
Sound: Okay, so I've never heard a pair of headphones costing more than $30, given... but I swear to you, everything you hear about these amazing headphones is true. I'm listening to them as I type this, and I didn't even know I could get these kind of lows and highs with headphones! (The hi-hats are priceless!) These will make you want to upgrade the rest of your gear just so you can fully exploit these things... Feature: There's not many accessories you CAN include with headphones. It has a nice gold-plated 1/4" adapter. What more do you need? Ease of Use: They're headphones. You plug them in, they work. Quality: I haven't had them for more than... yeah, about a half hour. But they seem VERY well-built. I have no doubt they'll last several, several years. Value: I'd pay $200 for these. Manufacturer Support: It's Sony. While I haven't had to contact them, I'm sure they're just fine. The Wow Factor: They're big, but again, they're durable. The coiled cord is nice, ummm... I don't really know what else to say here. Overall: Just buy them. Do it now or you'll regret it forever. Yeah, that's right. Even if you buy them TOMORROW you'll regret that you didn't have them a day earlier. They're also very, very comfortable. I wear glasses and I have kinda big ears - most cupped headphones hurt either my ears because the pads don't fit all the way around, or they hurt the side of my head because they press to hard on my glasses. These don't do either. I would pay $100 just to use them as ear muffs!

"Great product ,,, I think I'll have the cord replaced though." submitted October 4, 2004

Music Style: Easy rock to Hard rock
Sound: The sound quality I think is great. I mainly use them as mix down monitors for my digital recordings. I also use them for listening to soft ware synth's which sound sounds great through the whole spectrum . Feature: Features : I can say one thing for sure, And that is why in the world would any company use a coiled cord on head phone's ? I thought I would manage to along with this coiled cord but I find it getting tangled easily with other cord's and it's always pulling on your head, Quite bothersome. My only complaint. Quality: They seem to made as well as one would expect for this price range. For someone who need portability these phones fold up to a nice compact size. Value: I would have gave this a 10 if it wasn't for the coiled cord. Manufacturer Support: I haven't needed any support and suspect I will any time soon. The Wow Factor: Yeah there very sexy lol, Well I think there comfortable and also light weight so there easy to keep them on your head for longer periods at a time. Overall: These should work fine for along time.

"I will buy them again without hesitation" submitted August 2, 2007

Musical Background: DJ
Music Style: House music
Sound: Very good sound, more midrange than basy, but i'm not complaining. If you are a DJ this is my best choice, I had mine for way over 10 years and they still sound and function like new! Feature: I like the way it folds, my only complaint is that you have to be careful with the small cable going from the head suport to the earpice (speaker). Quality: Had mine over 10 years, I'm a DJ and this headphones had some serious abuse. Besides the plastic covering the earpads being gone, they are still working like new. Value: worth every peny The Wow Factor: like the look

Sony MDR-7506 Headphones Customer Review submitted April 6, 2004

Music Style: anything
Sound: you put these on and your world gose away, you hear everything! Feature: The twist on adapter stuned me when i saw it, i thought it was so uniqe Quality: Built sony tough. My friend who is a sound enginer has had two pair for ten year's and they still work like a charm. He went on the road with them and even after that tourcher they still work. Value: fill your head with sound and money that you saved Manufacturer Support: never had a problem with sony The Wow Factor: there hot, i realy like the added professional sticker on the side, it lets everyone know, you meen bussiness

"Very good, too boomy." submitted January 4, 2008

Overall
Musical Background: Active Musician.
Music Style: all
Sound: The low-end is too boomy, not very accurate it seems. I've had this headset for 4 years now, the sound is excellent compared to *many* headsets that are more expensive. Though there are limits with is, like the bass. Feature: Not relevant. Ease of Use: Easy as any headset. Quality: I broke mine, but it's still usable. One of the pads fell off the main structure. It is quite durable though, but be carefull when transporting it ;) Manufacturer Support: Not used. The Wow Factor: It's clearly a reference. Overall: Definately the best headset I've used, though I'm now looking for something even more perfect !

"Comfortable, accurate, affordable and built to last." submitted December 24, 2011

Overall
Musical Background: Guitar/piano for 25+ years; I am a recording artist and I perform in a band
Music Style: Melodic Rock, AOR, West Coast
Sound: For 10 years, I rocked a set of Sony MDR 7505 headphones in my home studio to get the job done on stereo mixes and I started noticing some attenuation in the right-side driver that caused a couple of issues (the left side was louder and had superior treble response). So after I years of planning to buy the 7506 and I did. It was like a night-to-day difference to have a brand new set of headphones masterfully engineered by the people at Sony that design these for studio use. All of a sudden, I had 100% of all the high-frequency response I was missing out in all of my headphones, including the dying 7505 pair I now use just for the purposes of hearing what a guest vocalist is doing on the board. It had bass response like that I can hear when I'm running through my near-fear reference monitors, and just had so much more depth to the dynamics than what I had been hearing. I do not recommend using these, however, for casual everyday listening. The low-frequency response is meant to be flat in the 80-800 Hz range and not scooped the way "pro-sumer" headphones are designed to "un-flatten" a mix for bass-craving music consumers. Techno fans notwithstanding, unless you're a DJ or you mix music professionally, you won't like these cans as much as you might like a pair of "beats." Otherwise, if you are, this pair should be your primary tool for the trade. Feature: Unlike the 7505s, the 7506 does not pivot and lie-flat inside of its protective, leather bag which is only a minor hit. Another minor hit, although a bit more important, is that there's very little protection offered by the wire that comes out of the padded ear cups that loops through the head piece. It come right out, is clamped onto the sides with a tiny piece of plastic and is otherwise, fully exposed. In short? Be very gentle with these. It's not fragile but if you have kids, or you are on location doing a gig as a DJ, definitely make sure to keep an eye out to ensure they don't get damaged in some way. Ease of Use: It's plug-and-play just like the 7505s. You screw on the 1/4" TRS adapter, insert into your headphone jack on the mixer or turntable and you're good to go. Quality: I fully expect this 7506 to last me another 10 years the way my 7505 did, but I am also very careful. That said, I think that the surface of the ear padding will flake off after 8 or 9 years just because that's what the 7505 did. Perhaps it won't because they might be making them better now. These cans feel more "buff" and like they can tolerate being pressed up against the oils that naturally occur on ones face that can damage things like this. Value: You'll pay more for other headphones that sound just as good as these if not more biased (either color in the low or high frequencies). I have a pair of professional Sennheiser that are not as objective in helping me mix as these, so I strongly recommend these. Manufacturer Support: I have never had to call Sony for any reason to deal with any of the pro gear I've purchased from them in the last 20 years. That said, I have to believe that if you do, you're going to get taken care of really well. The Wow Factor: They're not as round as the 7505s so I do not like the way it looks As much but it's more about what they sound like to me, and when you put them on, they feel good and sound terrific. That's pretty much all that counts. Overall: I don't expect to replace this product intentionally ever. If it were stolen for some stupid reason, I would be very angry and then I would buy this one. If it were discontinued, I would want to buy the one Sony is making that is as similar to this one as possible.

"Great headphones, but not made for rough environment" submitted August 9, 2006

Overall
Musical Background: B.A. in Multichannel recording, on-location sound recordist, cameraman
Music Style: ROCK
Quality: After some use in the field, if you sweat on the job, the earphone cover will deteriorate and break down causing little flakes of black stuff to stick to your ears. Kind of gross and definitely annoying. Just thought you'd all like to know if you plan to use these in a rough working environment. Overall: Life of the product as-is is fairly short if you use them in the filed where you may break a sweat.

"Detailed but shrill." submitted May 27, 2007

Overall
Musical Background: hobbyist electronic musician, hobbyist videographer
Music Style: "classical", ambient techno, space, Ligeti, Steve Earle
Sound: I am on my second pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 PROs (on my first pair the wiring came loose after 20 years of use). I always thought they were the best I had ever heard, and were described by HiFi Magazine as approaching $1,000 electrostatic phones. They are open-air phones which gave music, especially classical music, great detail and clarity. Then I bought these Sonys because they were supposed to be good for monitoring sound for video on a shoot. I was surprised that they were much clearer and more detailed than my Beyerdynamics. However, I suspect that because they are pro phones, they were not really made for beauty. I believe pro phones are called "flat response", which means in my language -- boring. The dynamism of my Beyerdynamics is missing. And the detail comes with a fault. It's as if the music is made of sharp knives and broken glass. It's fine if you like that sort of sound or if you must find detail in the many sounds that you are mixing. Another reader below said the highs were overdone, and I think that's the reason the sound is so brittle. My Beyerdynamics have a smoother, more robust bass. A contributer below said that the Sonys have good bass. I don't think so, myself, and if they do have good bass response, why did Sony make the higher-priced MDR 7509s? The brochure for those phones indicate larger drivers and much better bass than the cheaper MDR 7506s. But the MDR 7509s are going for about $206. Feature: The headpiece is soft, but that comfort doesn't last long with extended listening. My first Beyerdynamics had a soft piece of suede which touched the head and was under the bar across the head. I believe AKG phones prefer this kind of build, too. Unfortunately my new pair of Beyerdynamics have a headpiece like the Sony's, so, like the Sony's, I don't find them comfortable. The Beyerdynamics are open-ear phones, which give the sound an additional airyness. The Sony's cover the ear to keep out extraneous noise when shooting video outdoors. Enclosed phones are supposed to improve bass, but my open-ear Beyerdynamics have better bass. Ease of Use: n/a Quality: The earpads are not as large or comfortable as my Beyerdynamics. I think Sony's MDR 7509s have larger earcups. Also, the wire going from the headpiece to the earcup is very tiny and I suspect that it will come detached sooner rather than later, especially because these phones were made for the field and fold up. This will increase wear and tear, or stretch on the tiny wires. Value: My Beyerdynamics were $180. These Sonys were $100. The difference in sound quality is a matter of taste. See my comments above concerning the price of the better Sonys. I apologize for my continued comparison with the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO, but those are the only ones I am familiar with. Manufacturer Support: n/a The Wow Factor: My Beyerdynamics look better, but aesthetics (and sound) are a matter of taste. I dislike zzounds' term "sex appeal", especially in reference to machines. Overall: I am thinking about the Sony MDR 7509 with their better bass and the Sennheisers that cost about $200. Both have been recommended by the pros for monitoring. The Sennheisers do not collapse for easy travel like the Sonys. I'm not sure if the larger Sony MDR 7509s collapse.

"Aspiring musician thinks these are a really nice set of cans..."

By a customer from leeroy.ca
Music Style: Progressive House
Sound: I find these headphones sound incredible, although I must confess, I have yet to listen to another pair of high end headphones. That being said, as an aspiring musician I have always prided myself on having phenomenal ears. I have pumped everything from Classical to Hard House through these headphones and they have yet to disappoint. I always get a kick out of my friends faces when they hear music through them for the first time. They're exceptionally clear, especially within the upper frequencies, although they lack a bit on the bottom end. Perhaps I should expect less considering the size of the woofer, but I have extremely high expectations for a product that cost me $125.00 when I purchased them. Feature: Regarding accessories, I would like to see a case with a little padding to store them in for when I travel, but they do come with a gold plated 1/8" to 1/4" converter, which is nice when I need to plug them into my laptop. Quality: Cosmetically speaking they are quite simply a gorgeous pair of headphones. The ear cups are soft, and they don't hug your head too hard. I think Sony really thought about that one. After four hours of hard core listening, you'll apprciate these features even more. Manufacturer Support: I've been using these headphones for over a year now, and I have had no problems at all, so I can't really comment on the Support.

"Inaccurate, but spectacular for boom-boom fans." submitted July 29, 2003

By a customer from border.net
Overall
Music Style: jazz, trip-bop, film music
Sound: Great mids and highs for a set of cans at this price. But, bass is artificially boomy. Personally gave me a headache. I worked with it for one day, mixed down a couple of songs recorded in my home studio. My mixes ended up weak in the bass because I kept turning the bass controls on the mixer down. I returned the headphones Feature: Nice packaging. Comfortable. Quality: reasonable enough. They have a reputation for being workhorse headphones in a studio. They look solidly made. Value: if you like the boom-booms, the price is great. Manufacturer Support: no experience The Wow Factor: Were it not for the artificially boomy bass, they would be a "must have" in my studio. If you want accurate sound, look elsewhere. If you want artificially pumped and uncontrolled low frequencies, this is your headphone!! Overall: I sent it back and got the more neutral AKG 240M. I'm about 80% satisfied with these and decided to keep them for recording tracks. But for mixdown, I'm still looking for a reasonably accurate and comfortable set of cans: either AKG K271 or K501; Sennheiser HD 250, or Audio Technica ATH-M40fs. I obviously need more time to compare.

"You a PRO in TV/FILM/MUSIC/RADIO??? The absolute ONLY pair to buy. PERIOD." submitted January 18, 2010

Musical Background: RADIO PERSONALITY
Music Style: TOP 40
Sound: You a PRO in TV/FILM/MUSIC/RADIO??? The absolute ONLY pair to buy. PERIOD.

"Atypical for Sony" submitted August 27, 2012

By K R
Overall
Musical Background: 45 years....35 in the audio business.
Music Style: all
Overall: Very bright..strident. Flimsy structure. Good detail on mids and upper-mids. High end over modulates...no deep bass at all.

"Sony MDR-7506 Foldable Headphones" submitted October 21, 2013

By Mark Swaby in LAUDERDALE LAKES, FL
Musical Background: 33 YEARS
Music Style: REGGAE
Overall: I HAVE BEEN USING THESE HEADPHONE FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS. THE BEST HEADPHONE EVER, NOTHING COMPARES

"Sony MDR-7506 Foldable Headphones" submitted October 21, 2013

By Mark Swaby in LAUDERDALE LAKES, FL
Musical Background: 33 YEARS
Music Style: REGGAE

"Sony Monitor Headphones ... Now With Bass Super Special Big Ass Boost!!" submitted January 19, 2008

Musical Background: I am a professional in the radio industry
Music Style: Alternative / Rock / CHR
Sound: Well, as far as some of the reviews from other users...I do not think that you know the difference between studio monitors and consumer headphones. Just because they are expensive does not mean that they are going to be everthing you are looking for. Volume control is a "consumer level" feature. Studio Monitors are just that...Monitors. They are meant for pros, not MP3 players. That said, what happened to flat response? The bass end of these is way out of line with the rest of the response. I will be looking for a new brand for my pro stuff after these have lived a short life. Feature: The fake leather bag is 'a must' Ease of Use: Easier to adjust then their oler models. Quality: Solder connections must have been done by a drunk monkey. Value: More accurite brands are less by $10 at least. Manufacturer Support: Not Applicable The Wow Factor: This is a "PRO" product. It could come with a pink wire and I would still not care. Overall: Ranting aside, Sony seems to have blended a consumer product with a pro product. From a Sales and Marketing standpoint, good for them. From a consumer standpoint, don't pollute pro audio with consumer features like "Bass Boost". It defeats the purpose of spending $200 on a good pair of monitor headphones.

"The BEST headphones I've used--EVER!" submitted October 7, 2005

By a customer from knology.net
Musical Background: active musician--22 years
Music Style: Rock, Jazz, Country,
Sound: These headphones are excellent. They have excellent bass, smooth, full mids, and shimmering highs, and are as neutral as any speakers--headphone or open air--I have ever heard. You'll hear EVERYTHING through these. As good a studiophone as I've ever seen. Value: I've heard phones costing 1000 dollars that can't beat these headphones. Overall: I've used these phones for 20 years--they used to have the model designation MDR V6, and they haven't changed the external design or drivers in that time. I got my first pair of these in highschool in 1986, and I have loved them ever since. I am thrilled to have found the same phones--I still have a pair of V6's that broke and the parts and sound are identical except for the 7506 designation. Buy 'em and you'll be glad you did!

"Great for Hobbyists, Not for Criical Listening" submitted May 27, 2004

Music Style: ?
Sound: Exagerated low end boost, and spike an unnatrual spike in the high frequencies make these headphones useless for mixing or critical listening. For a consumer or a player they should sound much more impressive than a set of flat response AKG 240M's . An engineer should avoid refrencing mixes on these. Quality: Built solid. Value: For the price, I'm not surprised they sell as well as they do. However, I'd say their are better choices for the studio. For a hobbyist listening on a home stereo or computer they should be more than adequete. Manufacturer Support: Don;t expect much from sony..... They don't care, cause they don't have to... The Wow Factor: Eh, I should finnaly buy a pair to impress clients with no interest in subtelty. Overall: Some people will love them, some people will think they are as useless as I do.

"Knocking at Perfection's Door" submitted November 16, 2007

By a customer from polarismusiqworks.com
Musical Background: Recording Engineer/Producer/Band Director
Music Style: Everything
Sound: Simply the best sounding pair of headphones I've ever owned. i can work with them at very easy levels for hours without ear fatigue and get significant level of quality and detailed mix work done. Feature: The cans are basic no special features like voulme control, etc. They are very comfortable and snug. Some times the get stuck when folding so you think you might be attempting to unfold them improperly, but your not. These headphones have a little hinge "clicks" when you unfold them. Ease of Use: Plug them in and go. Has the standard, gold plated, 1/8" to 1/4" stereo adapter for pro audio stereo eqpuipment. Quality: The quality of the product is not premium. My first pair lost their top end after 2 months of usage and my second pair's ear pads outer casing, deteriorated drastically after only 4 months. The fastes I've ever seen anyy cans ear casing go. The pads themselves are of very good quality and are soft but firm. Can really create an "air tight" vacumed seal. Great for mixing and recording. The rest of the manufacturing is pretty solid and can take some a little extra but like all gear, take care of it the headphones wil last a very logtime. Value: Regardles of the little things or even the big ones, I still consider these headphones worth the money. Manufacturer Support: I was actually too busy at the the to even deal with SONY with my first damaged pair but had a friend who had loved mine so much, purchased them and had the same thing happen with the top end crossovers and were fully replaced with no hassle or cost. Though my direct service was deferred, no fault of SONY's, I can only consider their response to him as top quality customer service. The Wow Factor: They look pretty impressive when the come out. They LOOK like they work is a good way to decribe them. A rather simple to the point style and black color make them less gordy than sleek, compared to other headphones their size. Overall: These are the best headphones I've owned and I've owned quite a few. They are not perfect but comes pretty darn close.

"Sony 7506 are the best reference headphones for the price!!" submitted July 30, 2004

Music Style: alternative
Sound: Ok Folks, here's the deal. Sony 7506 are THE industry standard for reference headphones. "Reference" refers to the fact the 7506 series are flat responce. This means the headphones recreate the music as closely to the original song as possible. Not too much bass, or too much treble. This is critical if you are a musician and are recording in a studio, singing, listening, etc. Do some research, do some reading and you will find that the pro's in the big studios use the 7506 series. I have had these headphones for 3 years. Recently, after years of manhandling in my studio, dropping, tantrems, cord pulling and the what not, my original 7506 retired. In a mindless panic, I went out and bought a temporary pair of Sony headphones. It took me all of about 6 seconds to flip that crap off my head. BIG BIG difference. I ordered a new pair on ZZSOUNDS.com and had them next day fedex to me. In the morning my new 7506s were at the door. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! what a relief. Do yourself a favor, dont buy crap, buy the Sony 7506. Just a little footnote here, Im taking the time to write up a long, time consuming review here so I can give credit to SONY for giving us the 7506's for such an awesome price and to ZZSOUNDS because these guys had a new pair to me in 24 hours! I buy all my gear from ZZsounds, they have won me over. Feature: The 7506 have a nice comfy ear cushion that seals nicely around the ears, blocking out external sounds. I can wear these 12 hours a day and never notice them. The chord is just the right length. Includes the little adaptor for 1/4 jack. Quality: Jesus, I really gave my original pair the Ape with the Samsonite suitcase treatment. I dropped them no less than 100 times. I'm not talking about a Niles drop either, Im talking about when the chord gets wrapped around your foot or chair arm and you jump out of your seat and the coil force of the cord sends them flying at 10 feet per second..BLAAMMMM!!!!!!!! I also stepped on them, Ive pulled the cord out of the socket in a fit of mental rage, you name it. They lasted 3 long years, way past what I thought they would. Oh yeah, and they also survived several retarded moments when I had all the gains set to MAX by accident, you know, the times when the volume is so loud the headphones sound like 200 watt speakers and you go oh "f**K" and dive for the volume to turn it down. Didnt kill em. Value: I cant believe these reference headphones are only a 100.00. Ive become so dependent upon them, I would have paid 3 times. Manufacturer Support: There is a warranty, though I never used it. The Wow Factor: The 7506 are all black and pretty cool looking. Not too big, they seem to fit just right on the head. The swivel arm has a 2 axis movement, so they fit very comfortably. Overall: Honestly, Ive never tried other brands, which I'm sure are good. AKG Ive heard makes a good headphone. There are headphones that are more expensive to be sure. It would be interesting to put up the 7506 against a 500.00 dollar pair. But here is the bottom line for ME. I did alot of research into what the professional engineers in the well know recording studios use, and the 7506 is quite popular. And for a reason. Do your own research of course, but if you go with the 7506 you are going to be doing pretty well, thats a promise.

When you call, mention priority code 157L-GQZ9. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976