When you call, mention priority code 16HV-CBTY

Rating and Reviews: Shure SM58 Mic

Get the legendary live sound of the Shure SM58 microphone. Famous for its warmth, clarity and durability, the SM58 is a favorite for musicians worldwide.

Overall

"Not too good on recording, but EXCELLENT for performers" submitted April 10, 2005

Musical Background: Active Musician, Hobbyist Recording Engineer
Music Style: All kinds
Sound: OK, this isn't necessarily designed for recording, but the SM58 is an industry standard when it comes to performance applications. No mic I know of out there beats the SM58 in overall performance and reliability in performance applications. Feature: None. But none needed. Quality: Build quality and qual control on Shure products are one of the best. Made in the good ole USA. Shure isn't BSing you when it says that this mic is consistently the top choice of performers around the world. Value: Worth the money. Manufacturer Support: I have dealt with their CS and it is prompt and informative. The Wow Factor: Sex appeal of a mic? It's conventional looking.
63 of 64 people (98.44%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"best stage microphone ever." submitted January 5, 2006

Overall
Musical Background: 3 Year guitar player, aspring producer, singer, bassist, keyboardist...
Music Style: Rock. most of it.
Sound: I love Shure. They give you tons of instructions on how to use it different ways. to mic an instrument, take off the windscreen. to have a bassy sound, work close. This microphone will let you discover everything about producing and live performance, with a beginner's price. I hardly have a studio to do it justice, but I've used it before and all the problems i encounter are the fault of my interface. Feature: "unbreakable???" mic clip, whatever that means, and some weird velcro strap. VERY nice carrying case, and even the box makes me salivate. Quality: how the HELL can shure sell this thing at such a low price? they should make bulletproof vests out of SM58 cases. It's beautiful too. Value: like the guy below says, worth its weight in gold. Manufacturer Support: awesome warranty, and comes with a beginner's manual on how to use it. The Wow Factor: theres nothing sexier than simplicity. this is black and silver. that's it. nice and heavy. Solid. And the ring that says Shure Sm58 is in exactly the right place. Overall: try and find a better factory-made stage microphone. i dare you. no one can improve on this. There is an on/off version, a wireless version, and an instrument version(SM57), but i like mine the way it is. I'll never have to wire this.
13 of 14 people (92.86%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Good all around bang for your buck? Shure!" submitted March 31, 2006

Musical Background: Audio Engineer
Music Style: Contemporary Christian
Sound: It is the perfect microphone for someone doing a speech, or a lecture. The way the sound is tailored for this microphone suits it purpose. Feature: What can you say. An oldie but a goodie...in design. Ease of Use: Again, if you know your microphones, you will know how to maximize the use of this microphone. Good lecture and speech microphone. Also a great backup vocalist microphone. However, I would not recommend it as a lead vocalist. The beta version will give you more gain before feedback! Quality: The huge bulb shaped mesh grill, I wish would be more tainted to more of a design like its Beta 87 design. That is just a personal wish is all. However, what can you say. This design has been around for years. Value: By far. A good sound system starts with a good board, and also a good microphone. No matter how smooth sounding your speakers sound, a good microphone degrades the quality of the overall sound. For its price, it is a very good stepping stone in starting or better yet, an upgrade from those cheap microphones for your audio system The Wow Factor: Still like the beta 87 design is all. Just because of the mesh grill Overall: sounds good for what it is worth. You want more even higher quality products, then upgrade to a beta 58. If you really want a great smoother sounding microphone, then go one step further with the beta 87 a or c
49 of 54 people (90.74%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"The SM58, Legend for a reason" submitted November 2, 2011

Musical Background: Hobbyist Composer/Producer
Music Style: Techno & Christian pop
Sound: Does this microphone need another user review? It's just plain perfect for recording vocals, as far as I'm concerned. It's not good for acoustic guitar though, just as a warning. But hey, that's not what it's for. Feature: I bought the mic with an on/off switch, which is really nice. It doesn't have any other options like some other mics, but that doesn't really matter. Ease of Use: Plug it in to your preamp, turn up the gain (not too much), and you're good to go. Quality: I was surprised by how small it was, but quickly realized how ergonomic it is. It's also surprisingly heavy; or, I should say, substantial. It feels really good to hold. Another surprise was how easy it was to get to some of the electronics by unscrewing it in the middle. Just as long as you don't unscrew it and then accidentally take a pair of scissors to the wires you'll be fine :) . The top of the mic is very sturdy as well. It's just awesome :D Value: Uber-affordable and super-quality. You could spend less and get a crappy microphone. Or, you could buy this professional mic and get a cable and stand. Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed support. I'm confident in Shure, though. The Wow Factor: Haha, the infamous Zzounds sex appeal question. The SM58 is the perfect size, shape, and weight, and the clarity of the sound is excellent. It also looks excellent. I'm definitely inviting my musician friends over to play around with it... especially the ladies ;) Overall: I would buy another if I needed it. This is the most professional piece of equipment I have, including my digital piano, Korg rack,... laptop... If you're like me and you're practically broke but want a mic that you won't regret, get this microphone. Heck, if you're as broke as me you won't even mind that it's not the best for acoustic guitars. You can actually get a pretty good (read: if you're a novice it will sound great =] ) sound out of it even for things it wasn't designed for. Anyway, take the leap and buy this mic.

"The industry standard live mic." submitted July 28, 2005

Overall
Sound: This mic is the through and through industry standard for live performance. No mic I know of combines quality and on-stage reliability like the SM58. As far, as recording goes, for a less-than$100 mic, it works damn well. In this price range, I would recommend a SM57 over this one for recording purposes. Feature: As a performance mic, it could do with an on-button standard. Quality: Quality control - excellent. Very consistent performance amongst the various Sm58's I have used. Rugged rugged rugged. Value: $90 is pocket change in the sound world and this mic is one helluva deal. Manufacturer Support: Shure cs has always been prompt and informative in my experience. The Wow Factor: ummm Overall: Need a live mic? Look no further.

"Metal mic." submitted January 5, 2011

By a customer from netscape.net
Music Style: technical metal
Sound: I am in a metal band and use this mic for live shows and practice. Works great, gives vocals a nice rounded tone, unlike other mics that just sound flat Feature: Comes with what you would expect, the on\off switch is pretty handy. Ease of Use: Plug it in and sing away. Quality: Its been beaten and keeps coming back for more Value: For the money you won't find a better mic out there. Great tones and durability. Buy it. Manufacturer Support: Not sure haven't dealt with them yet. The Wow Factor: Sexy I guess? Overall: Buy it now!

Shure SM58 Mic Customer Review submitted December 17, 2008

Musical Background: Musician, Music teacher, songwriter, music engineer
Sound: It's a good stage mic. Now for the studio... I know people prefer the condensers... me not. In the studio you cannot find bad mics unless if they are very cheap. It's all personal expectations and preferences. For me It works fine for recording vocals but not instruments. I don't use the condensers anymore but only this only for a special type of songs. Sorry but if you guys want an excellent recording production better get different mics and use which one works better for each specific song. One mic cannot solve the problem. Feature: No It doesn't have anything but it's a mic... Ease of Use: Nothing hard Quality: I would say that shure sm58 is the toughest mic... It never brakes... Value: I think it's ok Manufacturer Support: No Idea... The Wow Factor: Well I think I like it but.... Overall: Good mic for stage and recordings. It's all based on your personal expectations and what kind of sound you wanna give.

Shure SM58 Mic Customer Review submitted July 10, 2011

By a customer from earthlink.net
Overall
Music Style: Classic rock.
Sound: This is the only mic as far as I'm concerned. Great lows that other mics don't have. They mostly have great highs. Manufacturer Support: I have one but bought this one with my order for a band member so he could get the free shipping. Overall: these mics never break. I knocked over my mic stand and the mic hit the cement and only got a small dent. Keeps on working and holds up to rigorous beatings.

"Only the greates live mic there is, durable, quality at a great price." submitted December 29, 2005

Overall
Sound: As far as live sound this mics has been a favorite of mine for over 30 years. The most durable road mic you'll find bar none. Feature: Excellent Quality: Will out last anything in mics today. Value: You won't find this sound for this price in any other brand. Manufacturer Support: I have several different Shure mics of different brands. Some are for studio use and others are for live use on the road. Each time I look and hear mics I always seem to come back to the tried and true Shure. The Wow Factor: The SM58 may not have the greatest look when you see all the purty mics out there but why would you select a pretty mic over quaity of sound, da? Overall: I would not search for another products because this one does it for me. i'm sold on the SM58. As a matter of fact I in here now to buy another.

Shure SM58 Mic Customer Review submitted January 9, 2005

By a customer from rogers.com
Musical Background: 10 years active, 30 years hobbyist-jammer
Music Style: Rock, Blues
Sound: A workhorse vocal stage mike. Gets an 8 for the studio, get a condenser mike if you want crystal purity. Feature: Just one pattern but when that's what you need it does the trick. Quality: Are you kidding? I bought mine in 1966 (hey, maybe I've got a collectable). Looks all beat up and it still works. Value: Let me see....I think it was about the same price back in '66 as it is now. That would come to about 0.7 cents a day. Pretty good deal, eh?. Manufacturer Support: Can't say, never needed it The Wow Factor: It lasts

Shure SM58 Mic Customer Review submitted January 19, 2009

By a customer from sbcglobal.net
Musical Background: church musician
Music Style: gospel
Sound: it has the best sound you can ever imagine. i've purchased the sm58 on jan. 12...and i'm planning on buy a few more :) Feature: it came with all its accessories and the features is excellent Quality: shure has made a microphone thats very reliable...its the best mic you can ever purchace

"Great sounding, rugged and excellent value for the money." submitted November 20, 2011

Overall
Sound: Sound quality is better than an expensive Yamaha mike I was using. Feature: Great mike for a singer. Shoud have purchased the one with on/off switch. Thats a great feature. Ease of Use: Sounds great with my Idol II karaoke system. No feedback issues. Quality: Semms like a very rugged well built microphone but then again I use it carefully. Stays at home, no road work. Value: Great value for the money. Could spend a lot more money for better mikes but this is more than adequate for my use. Manufacturer Support: I haven't dealt with Shure directly. Ordered on line fromz ZZsounds and received quick delivery. The Wow Factor: Looking to sound as agood as possible without going broke. Overall: Would buy another Shure sm58 without hesitation.

"SM58 Rocks, the world, literally." submitted December 31, 2013

By John Lawton in Craig, CO
Musical Background: off and on since I was 5
Music Style: Rock, Country, No Hip=Hop, Blues, Big Band, Spiritual, Folk.
Overall: The SM58 is the industry workhorse. These are built like tanks. I just love them. And, I love the fact that the boxes came with the stickers inside, unlike another anonymous supplier.

"Shure mic" submitted November 11, 2013

By a customer from zipski.com
Overall
Overall: Excellent mic....excellent service...I highly recommend you guys!!!!!!! You truly work for the musician...miked

"Rase Your Hand If Your SHURE!!!" submitted January 1, 2010

Musical Background: semi-pro
Music Style: Punk/Hardcore, ALL
Sound: for me this is my goto mic for live vocals.the sound is crystal clear and natural. Feature: for a vocal mic its great some peoplelike the switch version but a mute switch on the board works great. Ease of Use: plug and play. no mater your eq settings you will probably get the vocal sound your looking for Quality: these things are tuff mine are close to 10yrs old and sound as good as ever.replaced a few windscreens but that was my fault for crushing them. still they work. Value: $100 and you get what they use at the grammy's!! Manufacturer Support: never had an issue with shure The Wow Factor: best mic value out there if you want the best sound reprodution live. Overall: great value and sound it is refered to as the industry standard.

"SHURE MICS" submitted December 27, 2012

By C PRODUCTIONS in FT.WORTH, TX
Overall
Musical Background: MUSIC;47YEARS,I PLAY:PIANO,ORGAN(STRING),CLARINET,FLUTE.
Music Style: CHRISTIAN:GOSPEL AND CONTEMPORARY,R&B,JAZZ,CLASSICALCOUNTRY.
Overall: I OWN THE SM57,SM58`S,AND THE BETA 58.I ALSO OWN OSP`S,PEAVEY DIAMOND 22`S,RADIO SHACK WIRELESS,AND A FEW OTHERS.ALL OF MY MICS WORK WELL.MY BEST( IN THE ORDER I FEEL APPROPRIATE):BETA 58,NECK AND NECK-PEAVEY DIAMOND 22 ANDSM58,OSP(VERY GOOD),CRATE(GOOD),V-TECH.

"Shure SM58 Microphone" submitted February 4, 2014

By Gary H in Columbus, GA
Overall
Musical Background: I have played drums professionally since 1966. I have been a mobile DJ for 14 years.
Music Style: I have played rock, country, blues, soul, funk, disco, gospel, a little jazz and some original music. I am now a mobile DJ. I pl
Overall: Great quality mic! Everything you would expect from Shure. The only problem I have is with the switch. It is a little bit recessed and is hard to turn on and off in a hurry. I am in the habit of turning off the mic when I am not talking and turning it on right before i speak. It is hard to do with this mic.

"Shire sm58 microphone" submitted September 27, 2012

By George R in Jefferson city, TN
Overall
Musical Background: Playing guitar off and on for many years, so many interrupts over the years feel like a beginner again.
Music Style: Christian
Overall: I was familiarly with the sure product from having worked with them in a church where I operated the sound mixing and video. Liked the warm sound so when it came time to purchase a microphone for my own use it was my top choice. zZounds made the shopping for a complete kit easy and affordable.

"Shure microphone" submitted February 3, 2014

By Frederick Knight sr. in Pittsburgh, PA
Musical Background: Jam at home for a hobby
Music Style: Hip Hop and R&B
Overall: Nice and clear voice pickup. My grand kids love to hear their voices when papa's fiddling around with his music.

"The proof is in the pudding they say and this is the best.PERIOD" submitted September 21, 2009

Musical Background: Professional Vocalist and Recording Artist
Music Style: Elvis,Country and Gospel
Sound: I have owned and used the Shure SM58 for 18 years I have used these mikes in live performing in some wild venues and to comment on using this mike for live recording,I have recorded over 300 vocals over a span of 10 years which the audiences continue to compliment on the great sound and I am still using the original mikes as of this date 09-21-09,now if any mike can do better and produce the same results year after year for the price,I personally don't think it has been created yet.

"for shure.(wow thats original)" submitted December 27, 2006

By a customer from bellsouth,net
Overall
Music Style: metal,rock,hardcore, punk...pretty much anything.
Sound: it is great for live performances, Corey taylor uses one in Slipknot Ease of Use: hook up the wireless..flip on and sing(or scream)! Value: i was surprised at the price..considering slipknots lead singer uses it, i thought it would be like 400 dollars haha Manufacturer Support: its fine. no support yet. The Wow Factor: very sexy. look at the black and the silver. its great, the people love it. Overall: i think ive gone over this pretty much above.

"An AMAZING Gift" submitted November 8, 2011

Music Style: Gospel
Sound: It was a gift for my Pastor and he loves it..The sound is AMAZING!!! Feature: We are just excited about the crisp sound and the convience of cordless

"shure 58 mic" submitted March 10, 2014

By alan lyons in whitman, MA
Overall
Musical Background: guitar jam at home
Music Style: rock country
Overall: It is a workhorse. built strong sounds great I love it...

"SM58" submitted February 17, 2012

By JP E in Griswold, CT
Overall
Musical Background: Playing guitar for over 15 years. Practice at home, play in a jam band, and also play solo acoustic at a local coffee lounge.
Music Style: Classic Rock, Jam Band stuff, Acoustic Rock, Blues.
Overall: I didn't know what microphone to purchase, but after talking with several friends, they instantly told me to get the SM57 or SM58. I went with the SM58 (obviously.) So far, this mic has been working out great for me. I have absolutely no complaints about it. I have a pretty decent vocal range and haven't noticed anything wrong with the clarity, or any distortion. My kids love it too, especially when they sing while I play my guitar.

"Good ol' SM58" submitted July 19, 2012

By Kraig S in Bayboro, NC
Overall
Musical Background: Musician and sound-man for 40 years.
Overall: I've been using SM58s since the early 70s. It's the go-to mike for live sound. Vocalists expect them, they have a consistent sound mike-to-mike, they're sensitivity is just right to minimize feedback, and they're bullet proof - you could use one for a hammer and it would probably still work. There are far better mics for the studio, but the SM58 is king of the stage.

"Shure SM58 Microphone" submitted April 21, 2014

By Harry W in Fairfax, MN
Overall
Musical Background: I have been playing for 50 yeas- I play the Chemitzer concertina professonally
Music Style: Polka-Waltz music (Old Time)
Overall: I have only used this microphone twice, but it works fine and picks up voice very good.

"SM58 sweet clean vocal mike" submitted October 24, 2012

By Vision Ventures in Indy, IN
Musical Background: Use for live shows and reporter standips
Overall: Nice quality good pickup pattern good vocal mike

"Buy the mic but be careful buying an accompanying XLR cord." submitted December 15, 2010

Musical Background: DJ/Karaoke performer
Music Style: All genres but lean toward oldie rock & roll and country.
Overall: The Mic is great. However, the XLR cable purchased with it has a loose fit to the mic. Periodically, it falls out. Not good!!

"Number 1 for a reason!" submitted April 6, 2011

Musical Background: Hobbyist player & Promoter
Sound: An industry work-horse for live set-up, serves a variety of purposes from horns to vocals. Some may serve better for specific purposes, not many do as good as this does for a multitude of purposes! Especially for the price Feature: I am glad I got the newer version w/ on-off switch The Wow Factor: Shure mic's fit and feel great - Overall: I will be buying more as budget and need arise's

"Great" submitted May 19, 2014

By Joseph Grimm in Shady Spring , WV
Musical Background: Sing in a Southern Gosple Group
Music Style: Christian
Overall: Meets and exceeds expectations

"The mic to buy if you're not sure which mic to buy." submitted July 28, 2007

Musical Background: Run sound for my daughter
Music Style: Country
Sound: smooth-blends well in the mix. Feature: It does everything it's supposed to do very well. Ease of Use: Plug and play Quality: Perfect build quality. Rugged, simplistic beauty. Value: This is really the "one mic to have" and is not expensive compared to other pro mics. Martina Mcbride used a wired SM58 on the 2006 CMA awards show. She is a four time country female vocalist of the year so I figure if it's good enough for her, it's a fine mic. Manufacturer Support: Never needed support. Don't expect to need it. The Wow Factor: This mic feels good in your hand and is a classic design. Overall: I recently bought a Beta 58 thinking it would be a better mic, but found it's sound to be too "hot". The Beta is a good mic for vocalists who have a hard time standing out in the mix, but it seems too harsh for me....I'm still using the SM58.

"Very nice little mic for the price." submitted August 9, 2005

By a customer from shaw.ca
Musical Background: active
Music Style: folk,country,blues
Sound: this little mic is nothing fancy but great sound,tough as nails and over all a decent mic. Im a pro musician and Ive had a lot of mics worse than this little gem Feature: I didn't get the one thats switched..my mistake

"Industry standard...still maybe a bit overrated and overpriced" submitted February 15, 2012

By Jonnie S in Vallejo, CA
Overall
Musical Background: 20 yrs, Bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, vocals. Played church, parties, home recording.
Music Style: Christian, rock, jazz, country, blues, latin
Overall: It's a Shure sm58 so I expect it to be a solid workhorse mic but only time will tell ... the sound has a lot to do with the mixer it's plugged into and how you set it. It does give me more clarity than my EV mic which sounds "darker". A bit pricey compared to other similar mics. Purchased as bundle with stand and cable. Stand is ok but plastic parts broke as soon as I put it together. Cable is a piece of Karaoke cable crap from China.

"Okay for the money..." submitted January 29, 2007

Musical Background: Active Musician/Recording Engineer
Music Style: Everything
Sound: Sound quality is a bit bland, doesn't pick up subtlety and timbre very well, (mind you that is compared to slightly more expensive mics, e.g. Audix OM5). Overall: Wouldn't settle for this if I could afford to spend a couple of hundred bucks more...

"Shure better than anything else on the market." submitted June 10, 2006

Musical Background: Active
Music Style: Rock, Metal, Alternative
Sound: The sound is truly amazing, it's virtually perfect, every single aspect. I use it in the studio for everything vocal. Live, it's the best mic out there, as for the studio, it's second to none. Feature: There is a version with an on/off switch, which could help out in the studio or live performances. I believe it comes with a clip as well. Ease of Use: Come on, it's a microphone. Plug it in and sing. Quality: "Built like a tank." Or better. I bought 3 for the studio back in the late '60s. Every one of them has outlasted the equalizers and boards I've plugged them into. They sound today the same they did 30+ years ago. Value: There's no better mic out there for this price (aside from the '57) or any other price for that matter. It just doesn't get any better than this. Manufacturer Support: We've never needed support, none at all. And like stated previously, there's no better support than support you won't need. The Wow Factor: Oh yeah, it's sexy. Black and silver, perfect for live performances, or just to sit and stare in the studio. Put it in your hand, it's heavy, rugged, and damned good looking. When an ulgy man stands next to the the '58, he's still ugly, but the mic is all the more sexxy. Overall: It's lasted more than thirty years and it's gonna last at least another 30. Everything about the mic, the sound, the quality, even the sex appeal, is all worth the small amount of money. You can't go wrong with Shure and the '57/'58.

"has some feedback issues,very durible,warm sound,dosent cut through the mix like i would like." submitted June 29, 2005

Overall
Sound: not very loud,has some feedback,but sounds warm.it dosent cut through the mix like i would like it to. Quality: it is made like a tank.you can trust it to be there when you need it. Value: its alright,but there are better out there for just a little more $$. Manufacturer Support: havent needed any. Overall: overall it is tuff but i dont like the feedback to gain ratio.but it has warmth.dosent cut through the mix enough.

"SM58 - The Thrill is Gone" submitted March 21, 2008

Overall
Sound: I own a new SM 58 since about two years now. Sorry to say that when using this mic you wonder why the SM58 has become such a popular microphone. To answer this question you should understand that there is a big difference between the newer and the older Shure SM58. While an old 58 really is a nice sounding mic on vocals, the new SM58 is a muddy sounding mic. It is unclear why shure has changed the manufacturing process of the SM58, but its is a fact that a newer version of this mic is not what it once used to be. While I can recommend the old SM58 Iwould strongly advice to not to buy the muddy sounding newer SM58 Feature: Well, its a mic, there is one with, and one without a switch Ease of Use: as any dynamic microphone Quality: Yes, it is good quality, but this is of no importance due to the fact that the newer SM58 is a muddy, a not good sounding mic, at least not for vocals Value: To say it outright, the new SM58 is a horrible sounding mic compared to the older version. For the price there is a big choice of other mics that sound better, much better in fact Manufacturer Support: Do not know The Wow Factor: I have got one which I bought about 2 years ago and I am not using it due to the here mentioned facts Overall: There are better mics for the same price. If you find an old SM58 - OK, but stay clear of a new one.

"Awesome mic, nice mic stand and not so good chord." submitted September 12, 2011

Overall
Musical Background: former active musician and now music pastor
Music Style: a bit of everything
Feature: The mic stands that came with the mics works just fine but the chords are pretty much junk. Of course I expected that and they are just cheap chords. One shorted out right out of the box and a second is falling apart after just a few uses. Manufacturer Support: All of the Shure products I've ever owned were excellent. I have a Shure wireless unit I've been using with my bass since the mid 90's and it still works awesome! I've never had to use the warranty on any Shure product. Overall: Eventually we will go totally wireless at our church but for now, We are 100% satisfied.

"Shure SM58" submitted September 11, 2008

Overall
Sound: Good for bands or performing not for the studio but only if you have a really good preamp. Better than any other microphone of its kind. Feature: The Sm58 is very durable other mics like this one will crumble in comparison. This mic has a very hard outer shell. Ease of Use: For instruments this baby rocks. very easy to use. Quality: Made well like a rock. Value: Its worth what u pay. Manufacturer Support: Never dealt with this company for support The Wow Factor: Has a nice look to it. This one is a keeper in my storage collection. Overall: I Would not sell I'll rather sell my computer first.

"Shure SM58 Mike" submitted March 11, 2014

By Johnny G in Grand Haven, MI
Overall
Musical Background: 47 years, 12 String Acoustic guitars, professionally and jam at home
Music Style: Folk to Folk Rock
Overall: It is what it is. Pretty much standard and what everyone uses on a budget. Not my first choice.

Shure SM58 Mic Customer Review submitted August 4, 2005

Sound: God help us, there is some disinformation on this site is unbelievable!!! Let's start at the beginning I will try to take them one at a time. The Shure SM58 is an industry standard today for live vocals and speech, it has been for about forty years! It's not really a studio mic but you will find it on a number of major studio recordings nevertheless. The Shure Beta58 is supercardioid, has a little more output than a regular SM58, and is a little brighter. Whether or not one is better than the other is personal preference and is of course affected by the particular person using it. The SM58 is a cardioid microphone not an omni. The SM57 has the same cardioid pattern as the SM58. Both mics are basically the same microphone except for the ball-end windscreen of the SM58 which offers more pop protection but also a more rolled off high end. Both mics have a rise in the 6K area which is 95% of the time not a problem but actually a help in getting sound to cut through. The main reason the 58 is more commonly used for vocals than the 57 is not the pattern because thier patterns are the same. the actual reason is the additional pop filter of the 58. The SM57/58 is not the greatest studio mic if you are looking to capture every last detail in someones voice but they are both very solid performers for live or studio work. When someone tells you the SM57/58 is a crappy sounding mic keep in mind that the SM57 has been used as the mic on the podium of the president of the United States for nearly as long as it has been around. Last time you heard a speech by the president did it sound boomy, thin, or somehow crappy? I don't think so... God help us, the disinformation on this site is unbelievable!!! Let's start at the beginning I will try to take them one at a time. The Shure SM58 is an industry standard today for live vocals and speech, it has been for about forty years! It's not really a studio mic but you will find it on a number of major studio recordings nevertheless. The Shure Beta58 is supercardioid, has a little more output than a regular SM58, and is a little brighter. Whether or not one is better than the other is personal preference and is of course affected by the particular person using it. The SM58 is a cardioid microphone not an omni. The SM57 has the same cardioid pattern as the SM58. Both mics are basically the same microphone except for the ball-end windscreen of the SM58 which offers more pop protection but also a more rolled off high end. Both mics have a rise in the 6K area which is 95% of the time not a problem but actually a help in getting sound to cut through. The main reason the 58 is more commonly used for vocals than the 57 is not the pattern because thier patterns are the same. the actual reason is the additional pop filter of the 58. The SM57/58 is not the greatest studio mic if you are looking to capture every last detail in someones voice but they are both very solid performers for live or studio work. When someone tells you the SM57/58 is a crappy sounding mic keep in mind that the SM57 has been used as the mic on the podium of the president of the United States for nearly as long as it has been around. Last time you heard a speech by the president did it sound boomy, thin, or somehow crappy? I don't think so...

"shure sm 58" submitted September 2, 2012

By terry stone in erwin, NC
Overall
Musical Background: been playing in bands since 1973. off and on.
Music Style: you name it.......... I've played it.....except rap.
Overall: Nothing to say, It just don't get any better

"shure sm 58" submitted September 2, 2012

By terry stone in erwin, NC
Overall
Musical Background: been playing in bands since 1973. off and on.
Music Style: you name it.......... I've played it.....except rap.
Overall: Nothing to say, It just don't get any better

Shure SM58 Mic Customer Review submitted January 19, 2006

Overall
Sound: Have used other mics and hands down this is the best mic I could find for the price. Sounds great and I can really tell the difference if I use a omnidirectional mic, the 58 is teriffic....

"still the best for the price" submitted April 12, 2008

By a customer from telusplanet.net
Musical Background: active musician for over 35 years
Sound: I cant believe the people who say it sounds like crap. Our lead singer was talked into an electrovoice by a salesman in a music store and told it is much better than the shure beta and the sm58. I have been using an electrovoice condenster style for years and got tired of the batteries going dead so i just got a new sm58. Funny thing happened during the first sound check, the lead vocalists electrovoice sounded like crap but the sm58 sounded just beautiful. I had to end up letting him use the shure and got stuck using the electrovoice. Dont believe all the crap about every mike will blow away an sm58, your typical salesman's line. Tell me why they are comparing evering thing to an sm58 and not the others? Because everyone knows the reputation of this mike. Take one out and do a side by side comparison with anything in its price range and i bet you will be amazed as i was. Feature: none Ease of Use: It sounds so good it doesnt need aot of fooling around with during a sound check, even sounds good flat. So easy to get a good sound from. Quality: Have played with people using shures for the last 35 years and I've never seen a problem. Tough mike Value: compare it yourself to any mike at this price Manufacturer Support: never needed it The Wow Factor: i got it Overall: There is a reason this mike is still the industry standard, you dont get a good reputation from sounding crappy.

When you call, mention priority code 16HV-CBTY. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976