When you call, mention priority code 15TT-KVM6

Rating and Reviews: M-Audio Sputnik Tube Mic

Bring the lush, classic sound of a rare vintage mic to your studio with M-Audio's Sputnik. Its design is based on that of great vintage tube mics.

"at this price get a 6 pack to take home" submitted June 27, 2011

By a customer from Petulli.com
Musical Background: chief engineer at PMT Studio
Music Style: Rock, "Alternative", "Country", "Jazz",etc,
Sound: solid flat responsive and controllable Feature: the cage and the suspension xtra rubber mounting came in handy after 2 1/2 years of constant use Ease of Use: this mike is so much more flexible than most tube mikes it will bring back the meaning of 'hi fidelity' Quality: nice finish , reliable so far no let down Value: if it were available when i started out Neuman would not have gotten a cent from me Manufacturer Support: m-audio has always been hard but not impossible to get a hold of and always deals swiftly with issues The Wow Factor: looks sharp Overall: bought it 3 years ago now and no regrets

"Simply stunning. Fantastic mic." submitted January 18, 2008

Musical Background: Active Musician/Engineer/Studio Owner
Music Style: Rock, Electronic, Ambient
Sound: All I can say is WOW. This mic sounds amazing. I've never used a C-12 or U-47, so I can't say that it measures up to the classics, but it IS the nicest mic I've ever used. Right out of the box I did a quick acoustic guitar track and vocal to see how it performed and I was blown away. With no EQ or effects, it sounded ready for mastering. The pickup patterns are great. The proximity effect on cardioid and figure 8 was less pronounced than a lot of the other condensers I have which leaves the sound more open and true, but it's still there when you need it for close sounding vocals. Rear rejection on cardioid was perfect, allowing you to record in a less than perfect environment if necessary. Loud volumes don't even phase this mic. It's a workhorse, with finesse. Detailed but forgiving, like your own ears. Feature: 3 pickup patterns, (Cardioid, Figure 8 and Omni) and a LF rolloff. Comes with Shockmount (AND a spare elastic I might add), power supply, 7 pin cable, microphone cover, and a sexy carrying case. I can't believe all that is included at this price. Ease of Use: It's a tube mic, so there's a little more setup required with the power supply, but that pretty much just impresses musicians in the studio. Quality: Solid. Heavy. Shockmount is well made. Value: For the price, I don't think you'll find a better mic. M-Audio makes some audacious claims about this mic, but it really DOES actually deliver. The Wow Factor: The ladies love it. This thing is a sexy head-turning beast, shiny and space age looking. It's my favorite piece of gear to bring out to impress the clients. People love singing into it (especially when they hear how good they sound). Overall: This mic does a lot of heavy lifting for you. It takes less time to find a good placement because it has such a natural open sound. If you have a good recording room, just leave it on omni and put it wherever you want. It'll sound good. M-Audio nailed it on this one.
10 of 11 people (90.91%) found this review helpful. Did you?

M-Audio Sputnik Tube Mic Customer Review submitted June 20, 2007

Musical Background: Studio Owner
Music Style: various
Sound: Incredible sounding mic - smoothest sounding mic I've ever used. Feature: Everything I'll ever need is in the box, including spare shockmount bands. Ease of Use: The manual is a bit wacky, but it's got everything you need to know in there. Quality: Very solidly built. It shows no signs of 'cheap' or 'fragile'. Value: The price is truly unbelievable for what you're getting. I couldn't be happier. Manufacturer Support: Haven't had to use it yet. The Wow Factor: Big, fat, heavy piece of chrome. What's not to like about that? Overall: This is my new "go-to" mic, particularly for vocals and acoustic instruments. I've used it on flute, percussion, and vocals with excellent results.

"You want this microphone!!!" submitted April 29, 2007

Overall
Musical Background: Composer and recording (home studio)
Music Style: Hiphop
Sound: sounds like the luna but with a touch of tube... i'm sold all the way Feature: everything i could expect from a mic (rolloff, patterns and pad) Ease of Use: works straigt out of the box Quality: looks really solid, sounds very solid and the body shines a lot Value: For the money, it beats my old Rode NTK all the way. I sold my rodes and i only use this one now. Manufacturer Support: I HAD PROBLEMS WITH BX8a's and I have exchanged them 3 times with m-audio directly. Very very nice support there. The Wow Factor: So desirable!! Overall: By far the best mic I've own to date. I previously had M-Audio Luna, Rode NT1000, Rode NTK, AT4040, AT4033/CL. The 4033 was my best solid state one :)

"M-Audio has done it once again, Thank you." submitted March 12, 2008

Overall
Musical Background: Recording Engineer, Active Musician, Producer and Artist.
Music Style: Soul, R&B, Hip Hop and Reggae
Sound: The sound out of this microphone is so smooth and so soft and with the open back design, it really does gives the most clearest transparent sound possible. Feature: M-Audio have done their very best in fine tuning the diaphragm and controls and switches on this monster. The 200ft power cable is very efficient with absolutely no power loss or loss in signal strength. Come with its own power supply which is also another neat thing about this mic. Everything you can ever want is in its dedicated flight case. Ease of Use: Just simply hook it up to a quality interface or mixer board and you're ready to be off (beware the warning of using phantom power, for it has its own power up method). M-Audio have supplied a 200ft power cable which helped me a great deal in the proper placement of this microphone. But just to be safe, read the manual before you try to set this one up, it isn't difficult however, there is valuable information in the manual in order for lift off. Quality: Excellent, from the chrome off of its backing plate to the sound off of it's diaphragm. This will be the closest to mics like Telefuken, Neumanns, Brauner, Lauten Audio, etc, for its price. Get rid of those $300 microphones, you have nothing until you have this to complete your studio. Not even RODE's best mics can top this baby. Value: I'm a 17 year old pursuing artist and I have tried many different microphones in the past to record. And everyone of them have had their pros and cons, but this work of art is simply stunning. This mic is worth more than $800 with all it's features and benefits. Manufacturer Support: None needed whatsoever, manual is right there, just read and set the date for lift off and you are sure to be the first one amongst your friends to go above and beyond (hence the name Sputnik). The Wow Factor: If you have about a grand to spare, get this right here. Overall: I give this beast an overall 10. Nothing like it. This was the smartest upgrade from my noisy CAD Trion 6000.

"Exceeds all expectations!" submitted April 16, 2011

Dylan from zZounds
ZZOUNDS CREW REVIEW
Sound: This mic sounds fantastic. The vacuum tube design gives it a very smooth vintage voicing that really shines on vocal tracks (male or female). The switchable polar patterns allow for a lot of experimentation with the overall sound and feel of the mic so its easy to find "that sound" your looking for. That being said the mic sounds great on everything I use it for. My personal favorites being vocals and acoustic guitar. Feature: Its awesome of M-audio to include such a well constructed case. This is such a nice mic its good to have a safe place to store it and all of its other accessories. The shockmount has held up over time and they threw in the extra bands in case I ever need them. Power supply and 7 pin cable are also included. Ease of Use: Pretty straight forward but the manual is clear about setup if your not familiar with using mics that require their own dedicated power supply. All switches are clearly labeled and accessible. Quality: The mic feels like its built to last. Very solid construction. Value: Amazing! Nothing in this price range even comes close to this type of quality tone. Manufacturer Support: I received mine with a loose connection in the 7 pin cable (these things happen). M-audio sent me out a replacement cable immediately no questions asked. Excellent support. The Wow Factor: OOH!!!!SHINY!!!!!!! Mic just looks cool. No arguments there. They even did their best to make the power supply cool by putting a neat picture of a tube on it. Overall: You will not be disappointed with this mic. I love it and so does everyone who gets a chance to hear/use it.

When you call, mention priority code 15TT-KVM6. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976