When you call, mention priority code 1557-37S1

Rating and Reviews: Gibson ES175 Hollowbody

Originally designed in the late '40s, this jazz guitar is one of Gibson's most popular models. It features a pointed cutaway design, '57 humbucker pickups, and a vintage sunburst finish.

"Worth the Wait" submitted June 12, 2012

By Butch Hinton in Hillsborough, NC
Musical Background: Active guitarist of 40 years
Music Style: Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock
Sound: The tone is full and warm for jazz or you can open the bridge pick up for some tasty blues licks. I love this guitar. Feature: It's the basic jazz box. No bells and whistles. Great tone and playability and it is beautiful. Ease of Use: Its simplicity makes it all the more glamourous. The guitar is very playable and you can feel the guitar resonate against your body as you play. The neck is perfect for me personally. The action was good but was a little high for me out of the box. It was quickly adjusted after adding a set of flatwound 12s and lowering the action. The guitar comes equipped with 10s. Quality: The product is well made as expected for a guitar of this price. Mine has no visible flaws and is a work of art. Value: Regardless of the price, I've waited a long time to purchase this guitar. I'm not getting any younger and I wish I had done it sooner. If you can afford one, don't waste anymore time. Just buy it. You won't be disappointed. Manufacturer Support: All of my Gibson guitars (3 Les Pauls, 137 and 335) have never given me any issues. I don't anticipate any problems with the 175. The Wow Factor: Can't put it down. Overall: One of the best guitars I've ever owned. In 1973 I had the option to buy this or a Les Paul Recording and chose the LP as I was playing rock and blues. (Didn't know Steve Howe was using one at the time.) I finally got the opportunity to get the ES 175 and I was not disappointed. It's a great guitar that is playable out of the box. This is a beautiful instrument

"It's a guitar to love" submitted May 12, 2009

By a customer from navy.mil
Music Style: Jazz, rock, songwriter
Sound: The sound is good, but doesn't have that toneful woody pop that you get from an L5 or L4. For the price it's a great instrument because the next higher level is almost 50% more. If you are familiar with Gibson 57's then you know the sound. I play mine through a 1966 Fender Pro Reverb and it sings. Live at high volume it will resonate and feed back, but chances are you are playing Jazz and don't have the need to crank. The tone is predictable and nice, just what you would expect from it. Feature: It's basic; 2 pickups, 2 volume and 2 tone. It's what it has always been, and you don't need anything else. It's a jazz box. ALthough it would be nice if Gibson would offer a Bigsby option so you could gently modulate chords. Ease of Use: Huh? Plug it in and play; it's a guitar. It's very playable. The action sets up very low and fast. Quality: Nearly all Gibsons have some sort of cosmetic blemish. They are usually very tiny and you don't notice them unless you look closely. That's because they aren't made in some automated factory. Real people touch these and every one is unique, has it's own personality and sound, and I wouldn't have it any other way. When you own a Gibson you'll never need to buy another one because they last a lifetime. Value: There's only one way to get a Gibson, and that's to buy a Gibson. Yeah, they are pricey, but there's something about a Gibson that you instantly feel, some sort of magic that makes it what it is. No other affordable guitar feels this way. Over time your pricey Gibson will most likely be worth more than you paid for it. Manufacturer Support: Gibson is one of the few companies that really does stand behind their products. The Lifetime Warranty is real. You can call their help line and they will help. I'm convinced that they love these guitars as much as the people that buy them do. The Wow Factor: The ES175 is a great guiter, and so are the offshoots that Gibson made of the model. It's a guitar that will make you feel good about owning it, every time you open the case. Overall: If you have it set up correctly you should never be dissatisfied with it. If I lost mine today I would be shopping around for another one tomorrow. For the price this guitar is a best value. Sure, you can buy other brands for less but they aren't the same thing and you'll wish you had bought the real thing.

"Great Guitar, Too Expensive" submitted January 12, 2008

Overall
Sound: Very nice guitar. Tone machine. Works well as a hollow body or, better yet, use your glass or metal slide and some overdrive and distortion. Can sound a bit like a dobro if mixed correctly. Feature: Tone controls can really create a host of music. Whether you like a mellow tone for jazz or metal, this guitar can do it. My friend is a shredder and after a few minutes, he was tearing the guitar apart. It was funny watching him try to adjust to the larger fretboard. Ease of Use: It's a guitar, not a computer. The more you practice... Quality: Very well made. Unfortunately, the Epiphone ES-175 Reissue is not that far off the tone mark and is $2600 cheaper. I own both. Quality is about the same. Value: Definitely not worth $3100. Once, again, the Epiphone ES-175 is a really great instrument. Since I did NOT buy the Gibson (got it as a pass down from my brother), I bought the Epiphone and a Fender Thinline (hollow body). The Wow Factor: 4 inches deep hollow body. Very well made. Wood appears to have some blemishes/knots that I would have thought they would have cured. When you see the product, you will see the "sex" appeal and every gig you perform, you are not going to leave this guitar on stage. Drunk people do weird things like stealing guitars to sell and pay their bills. Overall: Once you master the tone and volume, you will have great sessions. On songs where the guitar isn't played throughout, you have to be careful of feedback. The hollow body is truly hollow. Some people stuff the guitar with cloth or materials to deaden feedback. That works, but just placing your fingers over the strings will accomplish same thing.
15 of 21 people (71.43%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Let the guitar sound and feel make you and not you to try to make the guitar sometimes it is for the best sound." submitted June 22, 2011

Music Style: Christian Country
Sound: I play my ES-175 in church, Bought it in 1977, also Fender Amp. Sound works with any type of music solo or band. I have recorded in studio for Christian TV for years in Dallas Texas. Would not us any other guitar. I also have a 50's SJ200 my other best guitar. Feature: Hard shell case, changed to a more country sound strings. With the Fender Amp.you get the quality sound you want and it's easy to play ! Ease of Use: Same as above, great playing guitar. Quality: I have never had a problem, Had to re-fret I play alots. Value: I think it is worth the sales price. Manufacturer Support: Needed set-up from time to time done in Garland Texas. The Wow Factor: I don't know much about the sex appeal, I just like the guitar Overall: I bought the ES-175 in 1977 new still the same in 2012. I like the SJ200 would like to have a newer one I don't take my 50's SJ 200 out that much.

When you call, mention priority code 1557-37S1. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976