When you call, mention priority code 1566-MF62

Rating and Reviews: Fender Deluxe Jaguar Bass

Jaguar + bass = a fresh Fender with old-school mojo. Dig the thin C-shaped neck, rosewood fretboard with 20 vintage-style frets, and vintage Jazz pickups.

Overall

"A worthy 21st Century addition to the Tradition of Great Fender Basses: A HOMERUN for Fender Japan!" submitted July 10, 2011

Musical Background: Active Musician / 20+ years
Music Style: Jazz/Funk/R&B/Rock/Blues
Sound: Sounds essentially like a jazz bass, but due to the series/parallel option, and active electronics, can go far beyond jazz bass tonally. Pickup spacing is wide, a la '70's jazz bass... It sounds "Fender-y"... The bass seems to have no problem going from Motown thump to smooth fingerstyle jazz (bridge p/u solo'ed, passive tone rolled back slightly, and a touch of active bass boost) with no loss of bottom-end, to classic '70's jazz bass slap (both pickups on, passive tone up, active electronics off) to modern gospel slap (active electronics on), to more modern rocking tones (p/u's in parallel, active ON)... Background hum may be an issue in a recording, but live shouldnt be a problem. If too much hum, modifications such as copper shielding and/or pickup change can be done. Feature: Again, this is a jazz bass - well made, with '70's pickup spacing (allowing for more top end on the slap tone, like the Marcus Miller bass). The series/parallel option as well as the passive/active option allow much greater tone options than a typical J- or P-bass would. Some may lament the absence of individual volume knobs for each pickup, but I think this "lack" of flexibility is more than made up for by presence of the active electronics and series/parallel switch. Ease of Use: The switches may be intimidating at first, but just by playing around with the instrument and exploring its creative possibilities, any fear of complicated electronics layout will be overcome. This is a four-string Fender bass guitar with great flexibility. The neck is feels like a nice, comfortable, thin jazz bass neck. Truss rod adjustments are made at the headstock (like a '70's Fender), allowing the player to make adjustments in neck relief without having to remove the neck. Quality: Fender Japan is a close second in quality to US made products. In fact, I prefer this bass in terms of construction, aesthetics, and tone to the basses coming out of Fender USA and Mexico. It is a great value - a lot of bass for the money. It is well-constructed, no paint or technical issues that I can find. Frets were level, tuners were smooth, neck fit nicely in the body... Value: At this price point, we have a Fender bass that is well constructed, looks cool, and sounds fantastic. Resell value of this bass should be high given that it is Japanese-crafted and is unique. Manufacturer Support: Have not dealt with Fender regarding this instrument. The Wow Factor: This is totally Fender - looks like a re-issue of a late-60's Fender bass. The colour, the chrome, the matching headstock (hot red red only), and the pearlioid block inlays over dark rosewood make this bass visually appealing. A close look at the vintage-tinted maple neck shows prominent wood grain pattern running parallel to the longitudinal axis of the neck... delectable! Overall: At this price-point, this bass is a homerun! $750 USD for a Japanese made Fender that is well-constructed, visually appealing, sounds great, tonally flexible, and unique. This bass is not a Japanese re-issue of some American Fender from the '60's - it is a bass conceived of in the 21st century in top quality by Fender Japan with a generous nod to Fender's storied past.

"One Rippin' Kitten!" submitted February 15, 2009

Musical Background: Sessionist and Live player
Music Style: Funk, Country, Rock
Sound: The versatility of this bass is awesome. It's overall tone hovers around a Deluxe (active) Jazz bass, but you can get some pretty convincing P-Bass thump out of it as well. I have two different bands, a country act and a hard rock band. I use this bass for both as I can get a nice hit-you-in-the-chest thump for some simple country licks, or a ballzy grind with some nice mides for my rock act. Feature: As I'm sure you've noticed, this bass has enough knobs and switches to fly a plane with. These features give you the option of truely carving out your sound. If you use an Ampeg or other boutique style head, often you are shorted the option of a lot of knobs to use to dial in that perfect sound. This bass lets you carry every aspect of your tone right under your pickguard. Ease of Use: Sure, the air-traffic-control interface takes a little while to get used to, but it really is a lot simpler to use than it looks. After owning the bass for about 3 days, I was sweeping knobs and switches on stage with pure confidence. I still find cool new combinations of switches every once in a while that give me all-new inspiration. Quality: The Japanese sect of Fender is by far the best bang for your buck. I've played them all, from Squiers to AmStands, and the best price point in all of Fender is their Japs. Just a little under the quality of an American, but waay under the price. To me, quality vs. price, it's a no-brainer. Value: If you're not sure which Fender bass you want, simply because you've tried and love them all, then that should be this bass's biggest selling point. I literally lined up a Fender Jazz, P-Bass, and Marcus Miller's sig model and was able to recreate all those basses using this one. It really is like 3+ basses in one, for less than one of them! This bass will save you from having to buy the other two basses, so by my logic, it's worth 3 times what I payed for it! That's value! Manufacturer Support: Not concerning this bass, but I've delt with Fender before. Pretty nice chaps, although you can be on hold for a while. Once you get a hold of them, they are very easy to deal with and very pleasant and knowledgable. The Wow Factor: The bass is super sexy. I've played it live regularly since I've bought it, and other bassists with Music Mans, Specters, Warwicks and the like all come up to me and ask me about it. It's just the right amount of chrome and class with a modern spin. The looks are what first attracted me to this bass, and if I ever decide to stop playing it, it'll simply become a wall ornament so I can continue to marvel at it. Overall: This bass instantly became my main axe, and will continue to be for years to come. I did quite a bit of research on the product and played numerous ones before I brought one home. If it was stolen, I would get another one as soon as I got out of prison for ambushing the jerk that stole it.
31 of 32 people (96.88%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Stellar Bass!" submitted January 23, 2013

By Matty Bryson in Baltimore, MD
Overall
Musical Background: 20 years +, rock, funk, punk - you name it. Gigging musician. Love music.
Music Style: The Thiefs play rock and roll with any influence we like. Funk, punk, Alt, you name it. Genres are for sissies!
Overall: Owned it for a bit now; played a few gigs with my band The Thiefs, and done some recording with said band. It's a Jazz bass for all practical purpose, but with those awesome Jag controls. And the body style is quite comfy, and looks awesome. I got the Candy Apple, and it's gorgeous. High Points: The serial/parallel switch is now a must have feature on any bass I consider - totally changes the sound; makes a Jazz config sound like a P, but with that single coil articulation. Very cool. The Active/Passive is great for being in a one guitar band - with a little practice, you can hit the switch on the fly, and really add bottom when the guitarist goes to solo; very useful. The only downside(and it's VERY minor) is the lack of dual volume controls. This would make it completely tone sculpt-able, IMO. But, it's not that big a deal, the tones available with the on/off switches is awesome. This bass recorded excellent as well; I cut our entire EP using many different settings to get the sounds needed for 4 different style tunes. (Rock, Punk, Funk, Blues) Quality is off the charts. Of course I've played the million dollar American Fender's at the music hut(and their awesome too), and although I may be biased, I really feel that Fender Japan put their best into the craftsmanship with this one. Well done, and arigatou gozaimasu! Top Tones: Both pups on, passive, full tone. Both series & (roar!)parallel, given the tune. Great rock and funk tone. Neck pup, Active on, EQ to song & taste. Bold, articulate, and defined. Hard rock/metal tastiness. Very P-ish, with minimal hum for a straight single coil. Bridge pup, Active on, full bass & treble. Total spectrum, and good articulation, and again, very little hum for a single. Good for making the right hand fingers sound 'pickish' if plucked back by the bridge. As usual(seriously, no apple polishing), zZounds was terrific in their customer service. The Pay Plans really help a working musician, and in email, phone, and chat, they go the distance to get you set. Thanks guys! To sum up, wish it had separate volumes, but completely stoked anyway. Love this bass; it's my main ride now(I own/have played many basses), and would replace it in a heartbeat if lost or stolen. Thanks Fender Japan & zZounds for helping to make it happen. RAWK!

"I've had it on stage and I'm champing at the bit to get it back on stage this weekend. I haven't played either of the others thi" submitted February 8, 2011

By a customer from shaw.ca
Musical Background: weekend warriar
Music Style: country, rock, R & B, Blues
Sound: it starts as a passive jazz bass. It then goes on to be an active jazz bass, passive Precision bass and on past sounding like an Ibanez, Warwick or what ever you want it to sound li8ke. Feature: The Canadian market gets a Fender gig bag with it. I upgraded it to a deluxe tweed gig bag. It seems to suit the classy style of the bass. Ease of Use: it is easy to learn, if you have an IQ over 75. 2 onn/off switches & a series/parralel switch. Also an active/passive swithc, with treble & bass on the active circuit and the standard volume & tone knobs. It ain't that complex, but it will give what ever sound you want, whenever you want it. Quality: The fit & finish are OK. The action was standard factory. I immediately had Barry Ewart Guitars shield the cavities with copper foil and dress & crown the frets and roll the fingerboard edges like an american standard. It is now an absolutely amazing bass. The price point of this bass gives you room to do the final touches. You are already getting a lot for the buck. Value: In Canada, american standard jazz & 'P' basses run around #1200 > $1300.s At the price point of the Jaguar bass, it is good value. if you expect the Jaguar bass to be what an american standard is, then expect to pay between $1800 > $2000. All those switches & controls do cost money to engineer & install. Manufacturer Support: If you have a hum problem when it's new, that's warranty. If the frets stick out the sides of the fretboard, that warranty. Fender's after sales service is disappointing, but the warranty service through the store, (Long & McQuade Canada) is terrific. The Wow Factor: I out on a 'P' bass bridge cover. It's a 3 colour sunburst and it looks REALLY CLASSY. Overall: My #1 bass is a 1999 American Deluxe Jazz & my #2 bass is a 2003 American Series Precision... The Jaguar bass is now my #1, the 'P' is now #3 'Nuff said.

"A really well built, and really fun bass." submitted January 27, 2013

By JoeW W in Pittsburgh, PA
Musical Background: Once and future pro. 40 years
Music Style: Jazz, blues, carribean.
Overall: When I first saw this, I realized I just had to have one. It plays pretty well out of the box and fit and finish are superb. But I'm fussy about my setup, so I went at it. There was room for improvement in the nut height. It was a cut a bit higher than my American J Deluxe, so I filed it down a bit. ( I also filed the MJD down, but much less). I was falling in love. But, I can't leave well enough alone, so I dove into the electronics. I replaced the pickups with DiMarzio 123s. These are split coils, with each coil having it's own set of leads, like a humbecker. From here, I repurposed the the slide switches to select series/parallel on each pickup, keeping the master series/parallel. The lower controls are now a stacked volume/tone and blend. The thing is a tone monster now. I can dial up at least 8 pickup setting before I even touch the pre, which I replaced with an Aguilar OBP-2. Out of the box, it ws a very nice bass. With a little setup, it got sweet. With the revamped electronics, it's flat out insane.

"Fender's Newest Innovation" submitted December 19, 2012

By Bassy T
Musical Background: working musician for 30+ years
Music Style: rock, jazz, blues, country, gospel, r&b....etc
Overall: This bass delivers the goods. You can get anywhere from real thin passive to aggressive active sounds out of this instrument. You really can't go wrong with this bass. This is the first bass I've ever played that sounds just as good in passive or active mode. And you don't have re-set passive tone when switching to active (and vice versa). Once you get used to the controls, you can fly on this baby. I've owned vintage (and modern) jazz basses, and this one is way more flexible. This bass sorta feels like a 60's jazz, too.

Fender Deluxe Jaguar Bass Customer Review submitted October 24, 2006

Overall
Sound: both active and passive give the player a plethera of options for sound, from a sexy, low dub to a punchy punk Feature: great features on the guitar. tons of switches to take you to your hearts content (didn't get a 10 'cause there wasn't a case with it) Ease of Use: probably the easiest bass to get all the sounds you want. period. Quality: great, solid construction. Value: couldn't find anything else in the same price range. The Wow Factor: love at first sight... Overall: just so completely enthralled with this instrument. cant say anything else.

"The Jag!" submitted June 14, 2013

By Ron S in Fort Worth, TX
Overall
Musical Background: 6 years of playing. Fender Jazz bass, Sunn Coliseum 300, Ampeg 610.
Music Style: Grunge, hardcore, shoegaze, doom
Overall: I just received my Jag yesterday and I've gotta say, I'm in love! This jag is really versatile and depending on what you play you can get the right tone from playing with the knobs and switches on the jag. My only problem with it when i first played it, was probably the strings and how it made a really loud and annoying buzzing noise against my fretboard, but all of that can get fixed and replaced with a new setup! I'm very happy with this bass, and once i'm done with the modifications i'll be doing to it, i know i will be even more happier :)

"Outrageous Jag Bass!!!" submitted May 24, 2007

By a customer from earthlink.net
Musical Background: Active musician, recording engineer
Music Style: all but country and opera
Sound: Two Jazz Bass pickups in series - huge and deep !! Plus all the usual and unusual Jazz Bass sounds from Jaco to Jones. Feature: Series-parallel switching and active preamp as well !!! Incredible!! Wish more colors were available! Ease of Use: More switches, but just as easy to use as a standard Jazz Bass. Quality: right up there with the usual Fender high quality. Value: Can't believe they can sell this bass for this low of a price. Manufacturer Support: Needed a manual - they got back to me the same day. The Wow Factor: This Jag has outrageous sex appeal !! chrome and switches....... Overall: Wish it were available in more colors.

"Fender Jaguar Bass Owners comments" submitted July 14, 2008

By a customer from townisp.com
Musical Background: playing guitar and bass since 1965, active musician
Sound: I have been using a red Jag Bass for about a year, and the tonal variation is superior to anything else I have tried. It thumps way more than other fender basses that I own, which are all MIJ 60's reissues. I had the bass setup professionally when I got it, and added a chrome bridge cover (more chrome??). The only issue I experienced was the individual string volumes were not equal, the E string was so much more prominent than the other strings. Use .045-.100 strings and lowered the factory-set string heights and it plays like a dream. Highly Recommend this bass.

"Ehh..." submitted November 27, 2008

Overall
Sound: There is a buzz from poor grounding. I considered having it fixed but instead returned it within the period of time I had to try it at home. Feature: I gave it a 10 on features because of all the switches and doo-dads. Download the switching diagram if the bass does not ship with a copy of the page that tells you what each switch and knob does. Ease of Use: The buzz made it hard to get a sound that worked for me. Quality: It was o.k. but I expected more from a $750 bass. Value: Better bang for the buck can be had with the new line of Squire basses. I like the Custom Vibe Jazz bass that Squire just released. Manufacturer Support: I don't know, since I didn't go back to Fender regarding the buzz issue. Online forums I looked at reported similar buzz issues, so rather than trying to deal with it I sent it back before the trial period had run. The only other bass I've had to return was the Epiphone version of the Blackbird bass. The Wow Factor: It is a cool looking bass. I got the Hot Rod Red one. Looked good, but, again, sound is the more important attribute, and I was disappointed.

"An Excellent Experience!" submitted November 19, 2012

By Mike T in Knoxville, TN
Overall
Musical Background: Play professionally for over 45 years. Mainly bass, lead vocals also blues harps
Music Style: Rockabilly, blues, funk, classic rock, big band, oldies, doo-wop, etc...
Overall: Delivered as promised - very quickly! zZounds is a first-class operation. The Fender Jaguar Bass is everything described. I've been playing for 45 years, and this is the best looking and most versatile bass I've ever owned (and I've owned them all!) Their "Play-As-You-Pay" program is a winner! I will absolutely buy from zZounds again!

"Mine is a lemon." submitted September 12, 2009

Musical Background: getting active
Music Style: surf rock
Sound: Brand new the preamp switch or battery contacts are defective. It snap, crackle, pops like Rice Cripies. Feature: Might be a 10 if they worked! Ease of Use: I guess I've gotta lemon. Quality: Great fit and finish looks great .... if it would only play. Value: If you are fortunate enough to get one that is non defective. Manufacturer Support: n/a The Wow Factor: its a looker, a real hottie, but sound is important too.

"Fender Deluxe Jaguar Electric Bass (Candy-Apple Red)" submitted October 18, 2012

By John P in Austin, TX
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing music all of my adult life, over thirty years. I play bass guitar mostly, semi-professionally.
Music Style: Rock, blues, country.
Overall: I've been a bass player for 30+ years and have always used Fender Jazz and Precision basses. I wanted a Jaguar bass because, first of all, it's a Fender, and I liked the way it looked! It is a well-made instrument and lives up to the high standards of Fender quality. It produces all of the great Fender Jazz and Precision sounds and many more. The only adjustment I have had to make in my playing is due to the slightly different spacing and positioning of the pickups. It's a minor adjustment and is not a big deal. The Jaguar bass gets some really great rock and roll tones.It's everything the product description and reviews say it is. It looks cool, plays well and sounds great.

When you call, mention priority code 1566-MF62. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976