The sE Electronics Munro Egg 150 Monitoring System is the first in a series of sE Munro 'Active Integrated Monitoring Systems' designed by Andy Munro, James Ishmaev-Young and Siwei Zou. The sE Munro Egg incorporates a fundamental rethink of the loudspeaker engineering process. The traditional wooden box has been replaced by a scientifically proven, curved enclosure that virtually eliminates diffraction and resonant effects that distort and smear the original sound.
The result is a stunning clarity that brings the smallest details into focus and yet delivers the entire mix as a coherent whole. The system is complete, with a free standing control unit that delivers a perfect bi-amplified power match to the egg drive units, source select inputs, active analogue crossovers, LF and HF trim pot equalisation for room and location set-up compensation and a mid-band control to emulate the mid-range response of both Hi-Fi and NS10 type speakers.
Above all, the sE Munro Egg 150 Monitoring System is designed to deliver the highest quality sound with the absolute minimum of coloration. In one word - truth.
The Unflattering Active Studio Monitor
The result is a breath-taking transparency that within seconds of listening reveals a much more defined and open mix, in which the whole balance simply 'feels' more complete. Of course certain aspects of some recordings may be shown up to be distorted or not as the engineer intended, but that is the truth, not obscured by coloration. A monitor that flatters to deceive has no place in a professional recording studio and there is no argument for using poor quality speakers to match inferior playback media.
Well recorded material, translates to any medium, but the opposite is absolutely not true... if your monitors put a fake 'sheen' on everything, how will you ever know what your material sounds like on an honest system...? You may be embarrassed!
There is also a good argument for a fully analogue monitor. The bandwidth and dynamics of a true analogue system will show up the character of the digital system preceding it. It also removes issues with bit rate conversion and other compatibility matters.
By using high quality linear power supplies, the sE Egg system maintains maximum transient power up to double the rated value. Bi-amplification further enhances the power headroom and results in the lowest possible distortion values. By using 35V power rails the Egg is capable of high transient sound levels from a relatively modest amplifier compliment.
The sE Munro Egg 150 is the final product name of the "sE Munro Medium Egg Speaker" announced at Musikmesse and NAMM. The "150" refers to the approximate size of the driver. As more Egg Monitoring Systems are in development, it seemed foolish to term the first sE Munro speaker system as "medium" when it may not be in the fullness of time.
- Unique monocoque shell construction (rigid and resonant neutral)
- Near zero diffraction interference (smooth frequency response)
- No internal standing waves (greatly reduced smearing)
- Perfect bass port integration (superb transient response)
- Free standing control unit and integrated amplification with 3m matched speaker cables
- Dual input switching and level control
- Ultra-fast and low distortion (4*50W) with 100W/Channel headroom indicator
- Precise 'sweet spot' - unique LED locator guide beams
- Integrated base with adjustable vertical alignment (allows for perfect sweet spot in both vertical and horizontal planes)
- Precision trim pots for bass (LF) and High Frequency (HF) calibration
- Critical Mid Frequency equalization for 'Hard', 'Soft' or 'Reference' (0) listening
zZounds is an authorized dealer of
sE Electronics products.