Keith McMillen Instruments SoftStepEverything you ever knew about foot controllers is about to change. The Keith McMillen Instruments SoftStep is a leap forward in the portability and functionality of footpedal controllers. Whether used with an effects rack, MIDI keyboard or popular music software, this innovative device frees musicians from heavy footswitch pedals while expanding their control. The SoftStep application works with the SoftStep hardware controller to manipulate sensor data for finely tailored control. These modified control sources are mappable to any MIDI or OSC destination, giving the player unlimited potential for creative expression.
SoftStep Software SuiteSoftStep comes factory programmed with several scenes to get you using it right out of the box, but in the event that you want to customize your setup, we have a suite of software to assist in programming your own SoftStep scenes.
SoftStep Easy Editor
The SoftStep Easy Editor is a simple tool for programming basic MIDI controls. Select the sources, the CC number, and send it down to the SoftStep. It's that easy.
SoftStep Music Editor
If you want more finely detailed control of your SoftStep, the SoftStep Music Editor is the application for you. With this program you can create and save preset "scenes" and key mappings, adjust key sensitivity and response, monitor the information from the unit in real time, or download your setlist of presets to the SoftStep for use without a computer.
SoftStep Sensor View
Sensor View gives you realtime visual feedback of all the control sources for each of the keys in a simple, minimalist interface. Know what MIDI data you're sending out at a glance.
SoftStep Max/MSP Development Kit
Extremely efficient and fully documented, the SoftStep Max Development Kit comes with 2 Max 5 externals and a Max 5 patch that shows shows how to put them to use. All raw data from the SoftStep is "cooked" to give simple control values for pressure, X, Y, Rotation, data latching, various triggers, LEDs, the alphanumeric display and more, served right into your Max or Max for Live patches.
Using KeyWorx software in conjunction with SoftStep puts computer control at your feet. Select programs, bring browser windows forward, scroll through folders and open documents, control the cursor, enter text, send out keystrokes and mouse clicks, zoom in and out, control volume, output complex key commands, and more; all from simple foot movements.
Pressure, Direction, Expression10 pressure and directionally sensitive keys are mappable to any MIDI or OSC destination plus a diamond shaped navigation pad, giving the player unlimited potential for creative expression.
A four character LED display, 10 dual-color key LEDs, and a blue EL under-glow give the user performance feedback with a striking visual appeal.
Constructed from elastomeric & graphite composites with a carbon fiber backing. It's beer proof!
KMI MIDI ExpanderThe KMI MIDI Expander enables you to use the SoftStep to control your MIDI world. The MIDI expander provides a MIDI In and a MIDI Out that shows up on your computer as SoftStep MIDI Port 2. Program your SoftStep with our easy-to-use control mapping software, plug in your MIDI rig, and you're ready to send and receive data to external MIDI hardware.
* Needed to use the SoftStep without your computer in standalone mode.
Applications- Pressure: Each key is pressure sensitive for expressive control
- Direction: Translate up/down and left/right foot movements into control values.
- Portable: Weighs just 1.3 pounds, stands <1" at its tallest, and is USB powered
- Deep: Up to 6 Note, CC, Pitch Bend, Program, MMC, or OSC messages per key
- Rugged: Elastomeric skin and a carbon fiber backing... "it's beer-proof!"
- Flashy: 4-character LED display, 10 dual-color key LEDs, and EL underglow
- Stage Control: Live, Traktor, Guitar Rig, AmplitTube, MainStage, Loopers and more
- Studio Control: MMC and HUI control for ProTools, Logic and more
- Hardware Control: Avid Eleven Rack, Line6 POD, keyboards, and FX units
- Beyond Sound: Control lighting and video effects, robotics, pyrotechnics...
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Keith McMillen Instruments products.
- Dimensions: 17.5 x 4.2 x 1 in.
- Weigh: 1.3 lbs
Minimum System Requirements:
- For Mac OS: An Intel Core 2 Duo 2.3GHz or greater Mac OS 10.5 or later that has 50 MB free hard disk space.
- For Windows: Windows XP, or Windows 7.1 GB of RAM with 50 MB free hard disk space.