Gibson Memphis 1963 ES-335
Memphis is a city known for many things: blues, barbecue, Beale Street, and turning out great Gibson guitars. Now, Gibson is using today's technology to recreate one of their iconic models with the Memphis 50th Anniversary 1963 ES-335. Handmade in Memphis, this stunning replica combines digital precision with period-correct components for the near-exact look and feel of the original.
Learn more with this zZounds exclusive video:
A Classic Brought Back to Life
To recreate the 1963 ES-335, Gibson started with a perfect condition original model and digitized its shape for pressings that are practically clones, right down to the slender cutaway horns. The guitar's top is made of a three-ply maple with poplar core and is joined to a maple back, also with poplar core. Inside is a center block made of lightweight maple, adding to the naturally bright and resonant sound.
Electronics True to the Original
Gibson went to great lengths to recreate the sound of its 1963 ES-335, and they started with the pickups. The guitar's two BurstBucker pickups recreate the iconic "Patent Applied For" sound of humbuckers featured on Gibsons in the late '50s. A BurstBucker 1 in the neck position is slightly underwound for a moderate output compared to the BurstBucker 2 in the bridge, which offers hotter output while still maintaining a vintage character. To further ensure tonal accuracy, Gibson recreated the Black Beauty capacitors featured on the original models and even chose a period-correct wiring harness to bring the vintage circuitry together.
The Feel of an Iconic Guitar
The digitization of an original 1963 ES-335 would mean nothing if the replica didn't feel like the real deal. Gibson ensured the quarter-sawn maple neck of the Memphis ES-335 had an accurate 1963 profile. This shape falls somewhere in between a thicker 1959 neck and a thin 1961 neck. The result is a medium-profile neck that fits perfectly at home in the hands of string-bending blues players. The rosewood fretboard also features historically accurate block position markers.
- Replica of 1963 Gibson ES-335
- Three-play maple top with poplar core
- Maple back with poplar core
- Quarter-sewn mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard
- Burstbucker 1 humbucker pickup (neck)
- Burstbucker 2 humbucker pickup (bridge)
- Kluson tulip button tuners
- Vintage circuitry includes CTS potentiometers, recreated "Black Beauty" capacitors, and period-correct wiring harness
- Two volume, two tone knobs, and a Switchcraft three-position pickup selector switch
- Includes Gibson Memphis certificate of authenticity and historically correct black hard case
Dust off some blues licks on a brand new piece of history: the Gibson Memphis 50th Anniversary 1963 ES-335.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Gibson products.
- Top: Plain Maple, three ply with poplar core
- Back: Plain Maple, three ply with poplar core
- Center Block: Light weight maple with window
- Rim: Plain Maple, three ply with poplar core
- Binding: Historic Cream
- Fingerboard: Torrefied/Baked Maple Fingerboard
- Inlay: Accurate reproduction pearloid block inlays
- Headstock: Holly Wood with Mother of Pearl Gibson logo and Crown inlay
- Scale: 24 3/4 inch Scale length with 1 11/16 inch nut width
- Tuners: Double line double band Tone Pro Tulip button
- Bridge: Nickel ABR with Nylon inserts
- Tailpiece: Historically accurate lightweight nickel plated aluminum stop bar attached using original style long studs and anchors
- Pickups: Burstbucker 1 for Rhythm, Burstbucker 2 for Lead
- Controls: CTS 500K audio taper for volume and tone, .022 mfd. Black Beauty caps and Switchcraft 3 position switch
- Knobs: Black reflector knobs with silver inserts
- Finish: VOS, Sixties Burst or Sixties Cherry , Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Other: 5-ply 335 short pickguard, vintage black/white truss rod cover
- Included: Gibson Memphis Certificate of Authenticity and Historically correct Black hard case with vintage low-nap yellow liner
If you have additional warranty questions, please contact the manufacturer at 800-4GIBSON
Gibson Memphis 1963 ES-335Gibson Memphis started from scratch to reproduce one of the most iconic guitars of all time, the ES-335. The Gibson Memphis 50th Anniversary 1963 ES-335 Electric Guitar is a reissue that celebrates 50 years of the beloved '63 model. Gibson Memphis thoroughly studied original 1963 ES-335s to get all the specs, finish, build, materials, feel and tone just right. The end result is nothing short of amazing.
Gibson Memphis started by getting a perfect condition, original '63, digitized the shape and had a press made that could replicate arguably the most important feature of this guitar, the slender horns. These accurate sides are glued to a lightweight maple centerblock with an original style 'window' re-designed just for the 50th Anniversary 1963 ES-335 reissue.
Vintage Accurate HardwareAdding to the accuracy of this model, Gibson Memphis sought out and or had correct hardware created just for this guitar starting with Tone Pro double ring, double line Kluson tuners, nylon nut, pearloid block inlays, an ABR bridge with nylon inserts, coupled with a lightweight stop bar tailpiece held in place with historic style long studs and anchors for to recreate the tone created taking that extra step in recreating vintage tone.
FinishThe finishes were developed to replicate perfectly the look of an original. The Cherry used on this guitar took months of developing and testing to achieve the perfect, hand rubbed Cherry that has hints of Ruby that is reminiscent of the early to late-'60s Gibson ES guitars. Likewise the sunburst is an exacting replication of the amazingly well preserved colors on the 1963 Gibson used to model this guitar. To complete the look and feel the hardware and finish are both Vintage Original Specification and the guitars come in historically correct Black cases with yellow lining.
Features:- Historically color correct binding developed after studying many vintage guitars
- Neck with its amazing comfortable shape with the small round heel and a perfect blend of the full size late '50s and thin tapered 1961
- CTS potentiometers coupled with Black Beauty capacitors and Burst Bucker 1 and 2 pickups
- VOS finish are remarkably accurate to the originals
- Historically accurate black hard case with vintage low-nap yellow liner