Focusrite has, over the past decade, built a reputation as the market leader for high quality recording equipment, with is mic-pre technology as the cornerstone of that enviable reputation. The original mic pre, as featured in the early Focusrite Forte console, used rotary switched gain controls and high quality audio transformers. This mic pre is still used by many of the industries greatest producers and is the sound of countless hit records. Today, Focusrite design equipment for a far greater audience, from professionals to amateur enthusiasts, all with varying budgets.
Focusrite's unparalleled preamp legacy forms the foundation of this interface, with eight award-winning Focusrite preamps. These are combined with the very best in FireWire interfacing technology to deliver seamless integration, excellent routing flexibility and future-proof, rock-solid driver stability.
With Saffire PRO 40, sonic integrity reigns supreme. The eight Focusrite preamps ensure low noise and distortion, whilst quality digital conversion and JetPLL(tm) jitter elimination technology ensure pristine audio quality as your audio flows between the analogue and digital domains.
As with the Red and ISA ranges, the mic pre technology found in the Platinum and Saffire ranges is designed to the highest possible standards. They uphold the same wide bandwidth philosophy featured in the original forte console, back in 1989. All Focusrite mic-pres feature custom components which have undergone an intense testing and qualification process. With the facts and figures in, Focusrite designs then have to pass the essential listening stage. Any design can measure well on the test bench, but only a great design can be qualified in the studio. The FET-based design in the Saffire range is no exception, and ensures the same low noise and distortion performance as earlier transformer-based designs. It delivers clarity without colouration and exhibits the signature transparency for which Focusrite have become famous.
Alongside the eight Focusrite preamps are a host of i/o options; 10 analogue outputs, ADAT i/o, stereo SPDIF i/o and 2 virtual 'loopback' inputs for routing digital audio between software applications. Every channel features phantom power, with the first two channels also featuring -9dB pads for additional headroom. Front panel 5-LED metering for each analogue input offers accurate viewing of levels.
Saffire PRO 40 Control, the zero-latency 18 x 16 DSP Mixer/Router software provided with Saffire PRO 40, sets a standard at this price point for audio interface control. It features unparalleled output routing and monitoring, as well as intuitive one-click solutions, a clear and concise mixing layout and large on-screen metering for inputs, outputs and submixes.
Two independent headphone buses are provided, each with their own level controls available on the front panel. A dedicated stereo monitor mix output features pads for improved sound quality when connected to active monitor speakers. An 'anti-thump' circuit protects your monitor speakers from spikes when booting up or shutting down. Front panel controls include a main monitor dial with dim and mute switches, all of which fully integrate with customizable software to cover every possible monitoring need, providing a set of controls for any set-up from basic stereo to full 7.1 surround.
Focusrite's established Xcite+ bundle is also included. The bundle includes Ableton Live Lite, Novation's Bass Station soft synth and over 1 gig of royalty-free samples. Ableton Live Lite 7 forms the foundation of this collection, providing the ideal platform to create, produce and perform. Novation's classic bass synth, 'Bass Station' enables you to create bass and 303-styled patches. Alongside these comes 'Mike the Drummer'; a collection of 572 inspiring and original live drum loops ranging from 79 to 191 bpm, with loop lengths ranging from 1 beat to 4 bars, as well as extended freestyle solo sections. Individual drum hits and REX files are also available.
These drum loops are however, just the beginning. An entire gigabyte of royalty-free samples, exclusively compiled by LoopMasters, provide a selection of loops and samples large enough to satisfy the appetite of even the most demanding artist.
Saffire PRO 40 also includes the Focusrite plugin suite, produced by the same team that who developed Novation's nio FX rack and Saffire PRO 40 Control. They provide the perfect upgrade from your standard sequencer effects with Focusrite Compression, Reverb, Gating and EQ VST/AU plug-ins, for use in the mix. Each plug-in has a host of presets that provide a reasonable starting point, delivering suitable solutions for the chosen sound source. Having selected a preset, you can then go on to finely tune these settings. The compressor and gate have been modeled on the Focusrite's hardware devices, using the measurement of custom optos to achieve the signature Focusrite sound. (All Focusrite optos are tuned by ear, just like in the old days of analog design, ensuring a faithful recreation of those classic vintage 1960s optical compressors.) With the same signature as the original Focusrite EQ curves. Focusrite's R&D team used state-of-the-art numerical transform techniques to create an authentic response across the entire audible frequency spectrum for this software EQ. The Reverb is based on classic algorithmic studio reverb designs.
- 8 high-quality, award-winning Focusrite preamps
- 24-bit/96 kHz FireWire interface with high-end A-D / D-A conversion and JetPLL jitter elimination technology
- Total I/O count of 20 inputs and 20 outputs, including a unique loop-back facility for routing audio between software applications via Saffire PRO 40 Control
- The Focusrite Plug-in Suite: Compression, Reverb, Gating and EQ VST/AU plug-ins
- Two separate headphone buses with independent level controls on the front panel
- Saffire PRO 40 Control provides an 18 x 16 zero-latency DSP mixer/router
- Unmatched routing flexibility: route any input signal or DAW output, or a mix of both, to any of the 20 outputs
- Bundled software: Xcite+ Pack DVD-ROM filled with royalty-free loops and samples, Ableton Live Lite 7, and the Focusrite Plugin Suite
All of Focusrite's FireWire interfaces are fully compatible with Thunderbolt using a simple FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter. Focusrite fully supports the use of Thunderbolt with their FireWire interfaces.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1 dB
- THD+N: 0.001% (measured at 1kHz with a 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Noise: EIN > 125dB (128dB analogue to digital) (measured at 60dB of gain with 150 Ohm termination (20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1dB
- THD+N: < 0.001% (measured with 0dBFS input and 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Noise: -90dBu (22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1dB
- THD+N: 0.004% (measured with 0dBu input and 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Noise: -87dBu (20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Dynamic Range = 110dB (A-weighted)
- Clock jitter = 250 picoseconds
- THD+N AMPL = -109dBFS 'A' weighted
Front and Rear Connectivity
Analogue Channel Inputs (Inputs 1-8):
- 2 Mic/Line/Inst Combo XLR (Inputs 1 and 2)
- 6 Mic/Line Combo XLR (Inputs 3-8)
- Automatic switching of Mic / Line (e.g. inserting a jack switches from Mic to either Line or Instrument)
Digital Channel Inputs (Inputs 9-18) 44.1-96kHz:
- Stereo S/PDIF input on RCA
- 8 ADAT inputs on Optical Connector, reduces to 4 inputs at 88.2/96kHz
- Optical input can be switched to S/PDIF 3/4 in software preferences (ADATs disabled)
Digital Channel Outputs (Outputs 11-20) 44.1-96kHz:
- Stereo S/PDIF output on RCA
- 8 ADAT outputs on Optical Connector, reduces to 4 outputs at 88.2/96kHz
- Optical output can be switched to S/PDIF 3/4 in software preferences (ADATs disabled)
- 2 6-pin FireWire sockets
- 2 Standard 5-pin DIN MIDI connectors: In and Out
- IEC mains power input connector
Weight: 3 kg / 6.6 lbs
Dimensions (WxHxD): 350mm / 13.8 in. x 45mm / 1.8 in. x 235mm /9.3 in.System RequirementsWindows
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP SP2 (32 bit and 64 bit) and Windows Vista (32 bit and 64 bit)
CPU/Clock: 900MHz AMD or Pentium. (1.5 GHz or higher recommended)
Memory (RAM): 512 MB (more recommended)Apple Mac
Operating System: OSX (10.4 and 10.5)
CPU/Clock: PowerPC G4/Dual 1 GHZ or faster or any Intel-based Mac
Memory (RAM): 512 MB (more recommended)
- Dimensions and Weight in Packaging
- Base Item
- Shipping Weight: 12 lbs