If you're a Van Halen fan, you already know the Wolfgang as the guitar that Eddie Van Halen endorses and plays on tour. But you may not know the extent of Eddie's involvement with the design and testing of this incredible instrument. Collaborating with Fender to redesign his signature guitar from the ground up, EVH tested a series of Wolfgang prototypes in the most rigorous real-world conditions possible: Van Halen's 2007-2008 world tour. For a full year, Eddie played Wolfgangs night after night, song after song -- adjusting components and swapping out parts until he was satisfied with the sound, feel and looks of the instrument. The result of this trial-and-error process is the EVH Wolfgang USA: the archtop edition of Eddie's main axe, built to his exact specifications.
Looks Worthy of a Guitar Legend
Named after Eddie Van Halen's son (and an eighteenth-century composer you may have heard of), the Wolfgang is an guitar unlike any other. With an instantly recognizable body shape and distinctive headstock, you can tell at a glance that this is a singular instrument. Built of solid basswood, the body has a 1/2" arch top of 5A flame maple or AA quilt maple, depending on the finish you choose, with 5-ply binding and matching headstock. The Stealth Satin Black finish employs a sleek ebony fingerboard, while other colors feature a birdseye maple fingerboard with 22 vintage-style stainless steel frets. Chrome hardware like a square jack plate and Schaller string retainer, along with pearloid dot or block inlays, complete the look of Eddie's signature instrument.
Built to Withstand the Rigors of the Road
This Wolfgang is more than a work of art -- it's made to be played. That's why it comes with a Floyd Rose locking tremolo with EVH D-Tuna dropped-D tuning system pre-installed and ready to rock. Made to withstand the rigors of a Van Halen tour, the Wolfgang's quartersawn maple neck is reinforced with graphite rods for ultimate stability. The compound-radius fretboard, which flattens out toward the upper frets, is designed for ultimate playability. And the Wolfgang USA comes complete with Bourns low-friction volume and tone pots, custom-made Gotoh tuning machines, and two double-potted custom-wound humbucking pickups hard-mounted to the body with a three-way pickup selector switch -- all specified by Eddie himself for the instrument he uses on stage and in the studio.
- 1/2" arch top of AA quilt or 5A flame maple
- Ebony or birdseye maple fingerboard
- 5-ply binding
- Hard-mount EVH Wolfgang Custom USA bridge and neck pickups
- 3-position pickup-switching toggle with black switch tip
- EVH Bourns custom low-friction volume and tone pots
- Floyd Rose locking tremolo with EVH D-Tuna
- Comes tuned in E flat
- Compound radius fretboard goes from
Eddie Van Halen could choose to play any guitar on Earth. So isn't it telling that the guitar he chooses is a Wolfgang? More than a collector's item, the EVH Wolfgang USA is a premium guitar that begs to be played.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of
- Basswood core, 1 1/2 inches (38.1 mm) thick
- Arched 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) thick AA Maple top
Neck: Quartersawn maple
- Fingerboard AA birdseye maple
- Compound radius 12 to 16 inches (304.8 to 406.4 mm)
Frets: 22 Stainless Steel Frets, Vintage size
Scale Length: 25.5 inches (648 mm)
Nut: Floyd Rose #2 locking nut, 1.625 inches (41.2 mm)
Nut Width: 1 5/8 inches (41.28 mm)
Tuning Keys: EVH-branded Gotoh tuning machines, Chrome w/ pearloid buttons
Bridge: EVH-branded Floyd Rose locking tremolo
- Neck: EVH humbucking pickup
- Middle: N/A
- Bridge: EVH humbucking pickup
Pickup Switching: 3-way switch
Controls: 2 Bourns low-friction pots (1x250k, 1x500k)
Case: SKB Case with molded stripes
- Hard mount pickups
- Magna Coatings paint
- 2 Graphite neck reinforcement rods
- Schaller chrome string retainer
- EVH D-Tuna
- Square jack plate
- Dimensions and Weight in Packaging
- Stealth Satin Black
- Shipping Weight: 22 lbs
- Vintage White
- Shipping Weight: 22 lbs
If you have additional warranty questions,
please call the manufacturer at 480-596-7195
From Eddie Van Halen comes a guitar representing over 35 years of cumulative EVH experience and expertise in guitar design, the EVH Wolfgang Electric Guitar. Built to Eddie Van Halen's exact specs and using every single feature of the Wolfgang guitars he himself plays onstage and in the studio, the EVH Wolfgang is a bulletproof and beautiful tonal giant of a guitar that takes whatever you can dish out and then asks for more.
"Everything that I've built, destroyed, stumbled onto, learned and experienced is in this guitar," Eddie Van Halen said. Every aspect and component of the EVH Wolfgang has been examined and upgraded to the highest standards possible--stainless steel frets, double-potted custom-wound pickups, five-piece binding on the matching body and headstock, custom-made signature tuning machines and Floyd Rose bridge, new low-friction pots, and the list keeps going. EVH left no stone unturned.
Road-Tested By the Man
The process undertaken to develop the EVH Wolfgang took over two years of intense trial-and-error research. The formidable task yielded a series of prototypes that endured a full year of brutal in-concert road testing by Eddie on Van Halen's triumphant 2007-2008 world tour. To prove that the Wolfgang was battle-worthy and could survive the road, performance data was collected from every gig for months and months to establish and confirm consistency and durability.
- EVH chrome Gotoh tuners with pearl buttons built exclusively for the Wolfgang
- AA birdseye maple fingerboard (ebony fingerboard on Stealth Black model)
- Quartersawn maple neck reinforced with 2 graphite rods
- Stainless steel vintage size frets that are practically indestructible and super-resistant to wear spots, nicks and dings
- Hard-mounted custom-designed EVH humbucking pickups
- Arched AA maple top with 5-piece binding
- EVH Floyd Rose tremolo unit with EVH D-Tuna designed exclusively for the Wolfgang
- Bourns low-friction pots: Custom-designed EVH volume and tone controls that are available only on the Wolfgang