Boss JB-2 Angry Driver Dual Overdrive
To celebrate the 40th anniversary of BOSS compact pedals, BOSS and JHS Pedals have come together in a historic creative collaboration between the two industry leaders. Housed in the classic BOSS compact design, the JB-2 Angry Driver pairs the tones of the iconic BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver with JHS Pedals' popular Angry Charlie. Working closely together, the two pedal innovators have developed an all-new combined circuit with refined sound and performance perfectly tuned for dual-mode drive operation.
The JB-2 Angry Driver features three dual-concentric knobs that provide independent drive, tone, and level control for each overdrive type. Via a six-position mode selector, you can use each overdrive independently, or combine them together in series and parallel configurations. With the ability to blend the Blues Driver's famously expressive low-to-mid gain tones with the Angry Charlie's aggressive rock voice in any combination, the JB-2 Angry Driver delivers unmatched range and versatility from a single overdrive pedal.
The Boss president and JHS founder talk about how the JB-2 came to be:
Two Industry Leaders Unite for the 40th Anniversary of BOSS Compact Pedals
The idea to develop the JB-2 pedal was born of the friendship between BOSS President Yoshi Ikegami and JHS Pedals founder Josh Scott, and their shared passion for innovative pedal design. The Blues Driver has long been a favorite pedal for Josh, and he credits it for leading him into designing his own pedals and starting his own company. "I got into pedals because, as a player, I used two Blues Drivers together for years and years. One day, one of them broke. I opened it up and realized it was just a simple soldering fix. It really sparked my curiosity and that just took over my life, and JHS pedals came into existence out of repairing that pedal."
Yoshi and Josh regularly visit with each other at the yearly NAMM shows, and they had discussed the idea of a collaboration a number of times. With BOSS celebrating the 40th anniversary of the introduction of the compact pedal design throughout 2017, Yoshi felt the time was right to develop a new pedal together. "In the 40 years of BOSS compact pedal history, this is a first," Yoshi said. "I think it's a wonderful thing that two companies have collaborated based on a great mutual respect for each other."
"We're very excited to collaborate with BOSS, one of our heroes, with the JB-2," Josh relates. "I've said for years and years that BOSS pedals are my favorite pedals. For JHS to jump into the story of what BOSS has done for 40 years is a real honor, and really beyond anything I would have ever imagined."
Partners in Tone
After discussing a number of ideas, BOSS and JHS Pedals ultimately felt that combining the Blues Driver and Angry Charlie would be the ideal match.
"When this plan came up, we used the ES-8 switching system to try numerous combinations of our pedals with the JHS Angry Charlie," Yoshi relates. "I thought a combination allowing each pedal to complement the other would be interesting to try. The sound of the Angry Charlie is exactly what BOSS didn't have."
- All-new overdrive pedal with massive tonal range, jointly developed by BOSS and JHS Pedals
- Combines the voices of the BD-2 Blues Driver from BOSS and Angry Charlie from JHS Pedals
- Three dual-concentric knobs provide independent drive, tone, and level control for each overdrive type
- Mode selector for choosing individual overdrive types, two series connections for stacking, or parallel connection for unique new sounds
- Also includes a mode for toggling between BOSS and JHS overdrives with the built-in pedal switch
- Remote switch jack for controlling pedal modes and bypass from an optional footswitch or effects switching system
- Multi-color LED indicator shows BOSS mode (blue), JHS mode (red), and both together (purple)
- BOSS five-year warranty
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Boss products.
- Nominal Input Level: -20 dBu
- Input Impedance: 1 M ohm
- Nominal Output Level: -20 dBu
- Output Impedance: 1 k ohm
- Recommended Load Impedance: 10 k ohms or greater
- Pedal switch
- MODE knob, DRIVE knob, TONE knob, LEVEL knob
- CHECK indicator (Serves also as battery check indicator)
- INPUT jack, OUTPUT jack, REMOTE jack, AC adaptor jack (DC 9 V)
- Power Supply:
- Alkaline battery (9 V, 6LR61) or Carbon-zinc battery (9 V, 6F22)
- AC adaptor (sold separately)
- Current Draw: 50 mA
- Expected battery life under continuous use (These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.):
- Alkaline: Approx. 9.5 hours
- Carbon: Approx. 2.5 hours
- Dimensions: 73 (W) x 129 (D) x 59 (H) mm / 2-7/8 (W) x 5-1/8 (D) x 2-3/8 (H) inches
- Weight (including battery): 440 g / 1 lb
- Owner's Manual, Leaflet ("USING THE UNIT SAFELY," "IMPORTANT NOTE," and "Information")
- Alkaline battery (9 V, 6LR61)
- Option (sold separately):
- AC adaptor (PSA series)
- Foot switch: FS-5L, FS-6, FS-7
* 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms
- Weight, Dimensions, and Manufacturer Part Numbers
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):