When you call, mention priority code 154F-40SM

Rating and Reviews: Zoom R24 Recorder Control

Get a 24-track recorder, 8-in/2-out audio interface, DAW controller, and sampler/sequencer/drum machine in one portable 3-pound package with the Zoom R24.

"The WOW factor!" submitted December 11, 2011

Overall
Musical Background: 10 years playing music; drums, guitar, vocals. 1 year recording/engineering/producing
Sound: Your "sounds" are easy to capture and manipulate! :) Seriously, this is a great and affordable piece of gear! The pre-amps probably arn't the best, (I don't have any other experience) but so far, my recordings have come out clean and they don't seem to produce any noise. Feature: The R24 is packed with features! Some you might not need, (the sequencer and drum machine in my case) others are amazing for the price! As a standalone recorder it excels and is exteremly portable. Even the built-in mics are suprisingly good and are more than sufficient for recording rehearsals, field recording or use as a song writing scratch pad. As an audio interface, (which is what I primarily use it for) it's AWESOME! 8 simultaneous inputs to record anything from an acoustic singer/guitar player to tracking a full drum kit into your DAW of choice. (I use Reaper and it works flawlessly) It's got two outputs, plus a headphone output with individual level adjustment for basic monitoring and mixing. I also use the control surface function for basic transport and level control while mixing. (STOP, PLAY, FORWARD, REWIND plus transport between markers if you use them.) The solo and mute buttons work well, although you need to choose which function is active with the softkeys under the screen. The faders also adjust your tracks in your DAW as well. Note that you can only use banks 1-8 and 9-16 in conjuction with your DAW tracks. Banks 17-24 don't work for some reason. So, if you have more than 16 tracks in your project, you'll need to click on that track in your DAW and control it's level with the corresponding fader. i.e. track 17 in your project would be fader 1 on the zoom; track 18 would be fader 2 , so on and so fourth. As a control surface, the zoom also works while tracking as well. (REC. ARM, STOP, REC. PLAY, etc.) The R24 also comes with a 1GB SD Card and a 1GB flashdrive filled with pre-recorded drum loops. I've listened to them and they sound good, although I haven't used them, they could be useful. Ease of Use: I give this an 8 because you really do need to read the manual to learn to use the zoom to its full potential. Especially regarding file import/export, etc. Additionally, you'll need to read it to fully comprehend how to navigate and use all of the insert effects the zoom has to offer. Plug and Play is possible, but to achieve the most this unit has to offer, READ THE MANUAL. Quality: Yes, this product is plastic. How else do you think they can pack so many features into such an affordable product? So, if you're looking for a tank-like road-worthy piece of equipment, don't get this. Also, if you don't take care of your gear, DON'T GET THIS. That said, if you do take care of your gear, by all means, there will be no concerns with quality. The pots and faders ok and work like they should, but they will not hold up to negligent care or use. Honestly, if you're spending $500 on something, why wouldn't you take care of it? Value: As stated before, the bang for the buck is definately here. It has too many great features and is incredibly useful for the price. Manufacturer Support: 10- Haven't needed it! :) The Wow Factor: Those who seek, will find. This was exactly what I was looking for, and I knew it when I saw it. Overall: I've had the Zoom R24 for 6 months and it's gotten frequent use. Recording rehersals and tracking my band 2 or more times a month and tied to my desk serving as an interface/control surface/sketchpad the rest of the time. That said, I expect to be exteremely satisfied with this unit for years to come. I only plan on upgrading when the need arises, that is, I need more inputs! If I want better mic pres, I'll just get a standalone unit to use in conjuction with the R24. For the money, there is no better unit to affordably get into home recording. If you're unsure, or don't have the need for 8 simultaneous inputs or 24 simultaneous tracks, go with the R16 or R8. Zoom has made a follower out of me!
43 of 44 people (97.73%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great device for the on-the-go music producer !" submitted September 20, 2011

By a customer from live.com
Musical Background: Producer/ recording engineer
Music Style: Industrial/electronic/darkwave/EBM
Sound: The sound quality is excellent. No fans or other sounds for the recording to pick up like on older hard disc recorders. Good clean sound IF you don't use the gain knobs. The mic pre-amps get a little noisy at high volumes (not unexpected but much worse in comparison to Roland or Korg models). Feature: ZOOM has included all kinds of features on this one, many of which are more fun than useful. Let's start with what I actually bought it for - file transfer to my PC. The SD cards are a great way to go (I bought a 16GB one), they are a much better option than a hard disc recorder because they keep getting bigger, cheaper and there isn't any annoying file formats to get around. Just pop it out of the Zoom and into my PC (running win 7) and there are my wav files, waiting to be tossed into any of my multi-track editors. Also you can import files directly from USB flash drives with ease. I do really like the sample sequencer on this, I didn't think I'd even use it but it is really convenient and useful for arranging. You can treat every track in you song like a long sample loop and with the quantization it makes it easy to write or re-mix songs all by it self. The effects are functional, but not very useful. If you want great effects on a device like this buy a Roland...but you won't be able to transfer your files back and for as effortlessly (if at all). The drum machine is laughable but also remarkably easy to program. Ease of Use: I have owned many devices like this and have several workstation keyboards, drum machines, and samplers, I can tell you that you will not find a portable multi-track recorder that is easier to use. The manual is simple and barely needs glancing at. I am particularly impressed with the pattern sequencer. If you are familiar with pattern/grid style sequencers you will find a slightly easier and more fluid editing than Yamaha or Korg, and far easier than Roland ridiculously awkward systems. Note: I have not owned a Fostex Wave editing is also super simple, you can see the wav forms and zoom in with ease and even cut them into even bars. Quality: It's plastic and it's light as a feather...think cheap laptop or netbook. I carry it in a computer bag and it does fine, but if I dropped it, it would probably be done for. that is totally expected for the price range if you want light and portable for under 2 grand. I will say for those that are curious that knobs all seems pretty solid. Devices like this often have wobbly or flimsy knobs that get shorts in them over time through moving them around or packing and unpacking. The design of this does much to prevent this by having guard-rail style mics on the sides. Value: Totally worth the price. No doubt. Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed it. Overall: I bought this to record my vocals anywhere (other than my apartment), to record all may gear at once, and to transfer the files to anything easily. It does all these things extremely well and more. Pros: Light, portable,easy to use, perfect for my every need, Saves everything automatically Cons: Software is pretty slow, sequencer can get overloaded when using effects and go off time (weird bug), not as many undo functions
25 of 26 people (96.15%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"I like it!" submitted August 16, 2012

By Tommy T in Stillwater, OK
Overall
Musical Background: drums 40 years, play church now, home studio. Roland TD10 drums.
Music Style: Christian pop originals
Overall: My previous digital recording experience was on various Korg stand alone units. I liked Korg because they put descriptions in layman's terms (I definitely am not a computer guy) and they were easy to use. I never really maxed out on the Korg but I could see where the limitations were If I wanted to do any serious recording and be able to easily transfer my work to an actual studio. This being said I spent about a year wondering how exactly to jump in to actual computer recording and still have the hands on feeling. I saw the Zoom R24, read about it and thought "hey, I'll give it a shot". Well long story short I love it. I am slowly learning and keeping my user manual close at hand. The more I learn the more I envision what I can do with this machine. I am saving to get a good computer to load the included Cubase on. Without going into details I can say I am very happy with my purchase. I haven't had it long enough to give much of an opinion on features I haven't explored yet but from what I can see it will be lots of fun (I love the work) and already I am already doing some cool recording. I can't rate manufacturer support but from what I see on other reviews, I'm not concerned. Plus I know ZZounds has always treated me well.

"R24 great for the working small combo or single performer" submitted December 21, 2010

Overall
Music Style: jazz, blues, light rock
Feature: I bough this unit because it had the extra inputs and the drum machine (which I haven't had a chance to work with yet) Ease of Use: I've only had to check the manual once so far. The rest is intuitive Quality: The unit is well designed, but lightweight and some may prefer the feel of an older Yamaha unit. Value: I have had portable recording units since the mid 1980s when I bought my first Tascam PortaStudio which recorded 4 tracks onto a cassette tape. Since then I have owned Korgs, Aiwas and Yamaha units. In 2005 I paid over $900 for a portable Yamaha unit with a CD player. While this doesn't have the internal CD player, this unit has more inputs, and I love the USB connectivity as well as the fact it records onto SD chips. I have several 8gb chips, and the transfer to my laptop recording system is the easiest thing. If I need to print a CD, I'll do it off my laptop Manufacturer Support: I haven't had to contact the company for support...hope I don't need to. Overall: From the day I received the R24, I've been using it nonstop. I use it to record our rehearsals, to record shows, for song writing (as a DAW controller/interface for Reaper) The unit is intuitive: I have only had to check the manual once. Individual tracks are saved in .wav format and easy to upload or import. The unit is very light, easy to carry. I recommend the padded case highly, because the very thing which makes the R24 light means it's not built for rough handling. Not an issue for me, as I don't expect to be tossing it around. I recommend this unit highly.
40 of 42 people (95.24%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Good Bang for the Buck" submitted September 6, 2013

By David S in Austin, TX
Musical Background: Play out weekly
Music Style: Christian Praise & Worship
Overall: Review of Zoom R24 I actually reviewed the Zoom R24 before, and my comments were not so nice. However, I have had some more time to play and experiment with the device, so I’m adding this review so as to add/update/change a few things from last time. First of all, I now have 2 of these units. I bought a 2nd one so that I can gang them together to get 16 channels. I’ll say that I did test out how well the 2 units would sync-up. Note that the documentation says that due to limitations on USB, they units could be out of sync by as much as 2 milliseconds. My own testing showed that they could be out of sync by 16 milliseconds, if I recall correctly. This was most-noticeable if I took a microphone, split its output and sent a signal to each unit. Then, if I played a real percussive sound, like a drum hit, I could really notice the difference. However, I found that when I switched the units – I made the other unit the Master – the sync was better. I don’t have the numbers, but it is better. Also, I found that I can organize which instruments I put on which unit. So if there were an instrument with multiple outputs (like a keyboard or drum), I just make sure to put all of those outputs on 1 unit. By doing this, I cannot discern any latency problem in the final mix. In my last review I complained that the inputs to the units do not have enough of a “pad” so as to handle the “insert” jack “sends” of my Mackie board. This is still the case; the Mackie will overload the inputs, even with the trim control of the R24 on minimum position. I reasoned that I’d have to buy passive “pad” devices for each channel, and that the lowest possible price I could find anywhere was $40 each. Now multiply that by 16, and see why I was complaining. The solution I came up with is this: I bought two Behringer 8-channel active direct box units. I plug my Mackie’s insert-send jacks into the input of the Behringer direct boxes, and take the output of the direct boxes and plug them into the Zoom R24’s. Then, I press the “30 db attenuation” button on each channel of the Behringer. I also adjust each channel of the Zoom to a certain location (about 10:00) which I have fore-determined at home which works correctly. The end result is that I can now make perfect recordings on the R24 with no distortion. Now, I should also mention that I am using these units exclusively for LIVE work. That is the ONLY reason I use them. Their sound quality is *not* as good as my Presonus device, but they are self-contained and don’t require a PC. This is very important to me. They also appear to be crash-proof. As I’m playing outdoors, off a gas power generator, this also is important. Then I take the WAV files from the R24 and import them into Cubase and edit them from there. I do not use the R24’s for editing of the tracks. I don’t use the built-in effects. Besides, I’m creating the sound tracks for videos, and that requires 48K. The R24’s effects only work at 44K. (Don’t ask me why.) I also bought new speakers for my PC workstation. That, itself, made a significant difference in my perception of the sound quality of the R24 wav files. They still are not as good as a Presonus interface (definitely a difference) but they blow the doors off anything you could get from a video camera’s built-in “microphone”. Ha. The sound is “respectable”, IMO. Another thing about the R24: I am using Cubase (came with it), which I upgraded. I finally figured out how to use the R24 so as to act like a “control surface” for Cubase. In fact, I managed to make my 2 units to control 16 channels of Cubase! Now that is *nice*. It did take some fooling around to do it, and it’s not well documented. It was frustrating to figure out. And the documentation that is there does *not* tell you how to make 2 units to control 2 banks of 8 channels each in Cubase, but I guessed and played with it and got it working. So, this is another VERY USEFUL feature of the R24!! So that’s the updated review. Hope it helps you. :)

"The R24 SUPER RECORDER" submitted April 11, 2012

By Phillip B in Shawnee, OK
Overall
Musical Background: I've been a musician 35 years and play many instruments Guitar, Piano, Bass, Drums, steel
Music Style: I love my county and a little pop.
Sound: I record acoustic guitar every week and the sound is awesome clear and the sound that I wanted t o hear was right, my tip for recording acoustic guitar would be use two mics and place one about 9' from tth esound hole an done about 7" from the strings on the neck sound willbe awesome and clear and strong. Feature: the drums pads I've always used my kit but thats just me. Ease of Use: The R24 is easy to use and set up took me all of 10 minutes lol, It is great with your home recording pc and easy to set up there also, I fell there was no learning curve just a rush to get set up and start recording . Quality: It looks great its built well and I think if you took care of it could be using it 10 years from now. Value: Ohhhhhhhhhh Yes I think its a great price for what it is and how much help it gives musicians. Manufacturer Support: I never have had to call support so I wouldn't know! The Wow Factor: all of its fuctions are well worth the price and its weel worth a musican or a studio engineers time. Overall: I have had my R24 for three months now and I can'tr say enough great things about it and its performance, I uset o use just my computer but the R24 changed that, I can transfer data and mix downs burn CD's a world of things i use to hav eto do only on my pc now I can take it in the field and do awesome things.when I get back to my home studio, you can;t find another system like th R24.

"zoom r24 dissappointment" submitted September 8, 2010

Musical Background: 30 years guitar music writing recording
Music Style: rock jazz electronica jam base
Sound: ok...so im new to this type of menu- search- patch -file -search back and forth, select (save parimeter(..etc type of recording,but still i seem to figure it out..and what i figured is the r24 is not what i was hoping in a multitrack unit...im more into knob turning than file swapping to get things like reverb effects etc.let me explain...first its too cheap of a plastic shell on the outside to make me believe it can travel..second the manual is made as a flow chart more than it is a manual that can explain its features and how to apply them in a recording scenerio..as far as the effects..some ok but most i find of novelty qaulity..too much menu bouncing to do simple tasks..also i like to have variable tempo...not just a few pre select from a button..most of all i worked too hard at the options to see how i could just simply play some selected drum sounds and still record ideas from those inpired drum sounds, i think all of us have created a song that a drummer has kicked off...good points i do like ..no hard drive to crash..but honestly i tried to love this thing but it didnt love me back Feature: came with 1gb sd card Ease of Use: sounds of effects were not studio but ok Quality: very fragile plastic be careful Value: its new you pay for that till the ssgm price is exausted..but zzounds gave the best price on its price match Manufacturer Support: zzounds has exepted the return..they have always been great to deal with Overall: i have send this unit back to its creater and looking for something a bit more expensive but suitable for my needs

"Great Product. Great Customer Service." submitted February 6, 2012

By Phil T in Wilmington, DE
Overall
Musical Background: Play out occassionally, home recording, play drums and bass
Music Style: Passsion is Jazz/Fusion, but will play anything. Currently palying in classic rock and blues band.
Overall: Purchase a "B" stock of this model for the 8 simultaneous inputs to mic my drums. When I turned on the phantom power the was a high pitched buzz. Contacted customer service and they promptly issued a return authorization and emailed me a UPS shipping label. They stated they would ship another unit as soon as my return label was scanned and shipping information received by UPS. Received the replacement in 2 days and it operates fine. This is the biggest bang for any dollar I've ever spent on music or recording equipment. The 8 simultaneous inputs, phantom power on 6 channels, and software were worth the price alone. Very happy with the replacement at the price I got and the customer service was fantastic. I am sold on Zzounds And Zoom.

"NOT for the novice or perfectionist. Nice scratch pad for patient musician " submitted January 16, 2012

By Rob S in Oahu, HI
Musical Background: 35 years. Strings, drums, brass
Music Style: All except Hi-Hop, Disco, and Balinese
Overall: There are cheaper / easier machines to use. Purchase this if you need portability and interface. The onboard drums reverb and chorus and pre-amps should be the LAST reason you are buying this. Stay away also if hate reading manuals, and if you hate checking to see you have all the right buttons on and off for the most basic recording routines (i.e., effects on, bouncing). For example, a wrong setting in say a previous menu 3 deep left on/off will spell catastrophe for that one magic/perfect take. Also, after you record say 6 instruments individually, when you play it all back, the first few instrument tracks you recorded is not quite in-sync with the most recent recorded tracks. So if you suppose to record your rhythm tracks first, imagine how it will sound in the end when your lead guitar or solo is not in sync with the percussionist or bassist, Yuk! I do like the Neumann U87 microphone, and a myriad of amp/cabinet combo simulators for recording acoustic or electric guitar /bass is handy especially if one can't afford and arsenal of recording equipment. Customer support is there and they come back with all the right fixes/answers too if you are willing to wait for an e-mail response 48-96 hours later.

When you call, mention priority code 154F-40SM. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976