When you call, mention priority code 158J-SK1H

Rating and Reviews: Rode NT1-A Condenser Mic

Record killer vocals with this time-tested large-diaphragm condenser mic! Super-low noise and a flattering frequency response make the NT1-A a go-to choice.

"Customer Service Story: Remarkably good service" submitted January 20, 2006

Overall
Manufacturer Support: I placed my NT1 in a hard shell road case a year ago along with two silica packets and stored it in a dry basement. The microphone was in working order when stored. Recently I retrieved the microphone from storage and it would not work. I suspected my preamp; however, a multimeter quickly determined +48v were present at the end of the microphone cable. I removed the circuit board from the microphone body to check for broken wires. The multimeter confirmed voltage was reaching the board. At this point I contacted Rode USA about getting a wiring schematic. I was surprised to discover the microphone would be repaired for free if I returned it. Conclusion: Really nice mic, but astounding customer service. No receipt, no original packaging, no questions. I

"The Best" submitted August 29, 2007

By a customer from dyess.af.mil
Musical Background: Active Musician and Recording Engineer
Music Style: R&B, Rap/Hip hop, Pop Rock, and Rock
Sound: I produce and record alot of local artist and let me say that this mic sounds beautiful and very crisp. I have to do very little when it comes to cleaning up the vocals with this mic. The only problem that I have found with this mic is that if you have a bass type voice it doesn't record that well. That's fixable with the right equipment though. I highly recommend this mic to anybody starting off in recording whether it's home studio products or professional recording! Feature: There's not much to say! It comes with a pretty good pop filter and a sturdy shockmount. Ease of Use: Self Explanatory! Run it through your equipment turn it on and your good to go. Quality: It doesn't get any better for the price. Value: Like I said, for the price it doesn't get any better. Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed support yet. The Wow Factor: Sexy. Overall: I plan to have this mic for a very long time!
65 of 68 people (95.59%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Buy this microphone!" submitted July 3, 2007

By a customer from ivplanet.net
Music Style: Pop / Rock
Sound: outstanding sound. My vocals cut through the mix much better than with my previous mics, without needing to boost the gain. Subtle nuances are picked up also, which were missed with my other mics - picks up room characteristics (ambience) much more (could be a minus, but i think my other mics just sucked). I have also recorded acoustic guitar with this mic, and the results were incredible. Feature: includes a shock mount, and also a pop filter (although that may have been included by the retailer). I have not had any problems with them, although I do not routinely mount and unmount the mic Ease of Use: I sing into one end, and my voice comes out the other (sort of). I have trouble with the singing part, but I won't blame that on the mic. Quality: sturdy, well built, professional looking Value: There are some cheaper large diaphragm condensers in the $100 range, but like most rock-bottom accessories you buy, you will wind up wanting something better very quickly. Not so with this mic; it will last you until you start wanting something in the $5k+ range. Manufacturer Support: Never needed support Overall: Like somebody else said, if it were stolen I would buy another one. I have no plans to buy another mic of this type for vocals or acoustic instrument recording.
59 of 62 people (95.16%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great sound!" submitted July 9, 2007

Overall
Musical Background: 7 years playing guitar.
Sound: Noise free. What a beautiful microphone! I can't help but first comment on how noise-free it is. I understand condensers pick up a lot more sound than other mics (dynamic mics). This microphone is a condenser - it picks up a lot of sound, but it picks up very little noise! I love it. Feature: Shock-Mount and Case. Value: This is as good as it gets for the price when buying a condenser mic. Manufacturer Support: I know nothing of their support services, but I do know this mic appears to be of good working quality and not the type to break in a long while. The Wow Factor: Uhh. It's a very good-looking mic with shapely curves and a delightful coat of shiny wet gold. Overall: For as long as I own this mic, I will be most likely happy with it.

"This mic hears what your ears do" submitted April 5, 2004

Overall
Sound: I don't have a whole lot of experience with large diaphram studio condensers, but the NT-1A is pretty sensitive and captures the sound of the voice and the room very naturally. With headphones on, if you turn on the NT-1A, it suddenly seems as though you have taken the headphones off. That can be a good or bad thing depending on your setup. It can be less than optimum for a small "home studio." You really have to isolate the singer with some dampening material around as well, or you will get lots of reflections from the room, and will pick up the whirrr of your electronic gear. But you will have much more control over the sound simply by changing mic position, proximity and the acoustics of the space (via drapes, baffles, etc) than you will with a smal diaphragm or a lesser mic. Feature: The shock mount is sufficient. Quality: Looks great, seems sturdy. Value: Not having been able to compare this to anything but a multi-thousand dollar Neumann I sang into in a "pro" studio, I don't feel too comfortable rating the "value" objectively. I'd like to hear the cheaper Marshalls and the slightly more expensive Rodes and AKG's, etc., before I said this was empirically a good deal; but I can say that I feel I got my money's worth. The Wow Factor: It's a handsome mic, and Rode has a good reputation. Overall: I can't imagine ever needing anything more "pro" than this one for my home setup. It captures my voice exactly the way I sound, which gives me the perfect starting point to tweak during mixdown. I'm going to have to jury-rig some baffles, though, to minimize the natural reverb of my room and to keep the whine of my recording unit and rack gear (and transformers) from picking up.

Rode NT1-A Condenser Mic Customer Review submitted August 15, 2005

Musical Background: Jazz Performer, Album Producer, Recording Enthusiast
Music Style: Jazz, Electronic, Avant-Garde
Sound: Overall, you can say that this mic has a very natural response; both the dynamic and eq responses are close to flat and no frequency stands out. The self niose level however is terrific! It can't be beaten! The cardiod response and low noise is handy for home recording applications with noisy ambiances. Feature: One pattern, no low-cut filter. But the price makes up for the sound quality. Quality: The architecture of the mic itself with gold spluttered diaphram is exquisite. The qualiy of the shockmount is also great. Value: The manifacture and sound quality exceeds the price. Manufacturer Support: Didn't have to

"GREAT value for the Money with pro results." submitted April 9, 2011

Musical Background: Long Time Hobbyist Turning Pro-Ish
Music Style: Pop, Electronic, Experimental Rock
Sound: Pristine sound. Completely natural. Feature: No features in the mic, and that's great. Comes with shockmount, dustbag & high-quality low-noise cable. Awesome. Ease of Use: 1. Plug. 2. Play/Sing. That hard. Tweaking is optional. Quality: Until now, all perfect. Would say it's sturdy enough, due to it's fragile condenser nature. Value: Famous for being great value for the money. Manufacturer Support: Never dealt with them. Hope they are as reliable and high quality as their product. The Wow Factor: They're good looking. I like them. Gives a pro feel to any wanna-be-pro home studio. You can't be embarassed about having them in any studio. Overall: Overall: 10. Awesome. Great 1st pro mic anyone can get. It might be all you need to get a hit.

"This microphone is made to last, with a very clear sound for a price that won't make you pawn your mom" submitted May 27, 2010

Overall
Musical Background: musician, recording engineer, producer
Music Style: rock, industrial, electronic, hip hop
Sound: Man, the sound you get from these babies is smooth, nothing too fancy, neither too plain. Very clear. I've used them as overheads, on guitar cabs, bass cabs, various acoustic instruments and vocals. They definitely get the job done. Feature: the shock mount is bullet proof... basically Ease of Use: They get you a nice equalized sound so you really only have to re-eq. when you don't position them correctly Quality: I just dropped one (I almost cried) and nothing happened, fell from about 5 ft and still sounds like its brother, nothing got loose or anything, in fact I'm writing a review just because I want the world to know that, they're tough. Always carry them on my mobile studio and they don't even get scratched. Value: Very nice price for what you get Manufacturer Support: I have not have the need to contact rode for support, and I own some 7 of their microphones The Wow Factor: the finish is great, super resistant, the shock mount is great. it looks simple, which i like, and vintage-y Overall: its probably gonna last longer than the 10 years its guaranteed for

"Can't find a better mic for the price." submitted June 20, 2011

By a customer from frontier.com
Musical Background: Home studio enthusiast
Music Style: Blues, folk, rock, pop, jazz
Sound: I have owned and/or used several mics over the years and for my voice, this mic has the most natural sound. I love this mic! It is very quiet and with a tube mic-pre it sounds great for vocals as well as recording acousti guitar. Excellent value. Feature: I got the anniversayr edition which included the shock mount and cable. I can't think of any other feature that would be necessary to make this purchase any better. Maybe if it came with a great group of back-up singers! Ease of Use: Can't get any easier, just had to turn down all of the levels compared to my other mics. Quality: IT seems to be pretty well built. I haven't had any problems with it. I am using it in a studio environment, not live gigs so it should hold up great. Value: For the price I can't find another mic that delivers the quality this one does. I love it. Manufacturer Support: Haven't neede to contact support. The Wow Factor: Looks good. Everyone who has used it in my studio has love it as well. Overall: I think that I will be using this mic for recording for a long time. I would not hesitate to purchase another one. As far as sound is concerned, which is why you buy a mic in the first place, I love the sound quality of this mic. Quiet, natural, great range, etc. couldn't be happier!

"Incredible Vocal Recording Outstanding Price" submitted February 8, 2011

Musical Background: singer/songwriter, recording engineer
Music Style: r&b/soul, hiphop
Sound: I am a singer/songwriter who records in a home studio. I write mainly hip-hop and r&b/soul. I started out with a cheap studio mic and found it to be tinny and strange sounding. So I experimented with several other mics, including an AKG and a couple other mics in the $500-$700 price range. Then one of my fellow artists recommended the NT1a. Not only does it reproduce my voice amazingly, it also is incredible at recording rappers. Crisp, clean regardless of vocal range, reproduces bass voices with ease and cleanly produces even the fastest raps with no unwanted noise. I have a pretty simple set-up, using just an M-box 2 and protools in a foamed closet, and the final product is impressive. For three times the price you can't buy a better vocal recording mic. Feature: This mic is simple, without any excess switches, which suits me just fine. It came with its own shock mount and pop guard, saving me money. Honestly, its simplicity is actually preferable to some other mics which seem to go out of their way to cover the whole side of the mic with switches that seem unnecessary if you have a halfway decent set-up. Ease of Use: I've never had a problem getting the sound quality i desire. It is pretty much plug and play. Quality: I never take it out of the booth, as I have other mics for performances, but it has been very durable and reliable. It doesn't scratch easily and can take a signficant amount of wear. It seems like it will last beyond the 10 year warranty. Value: For the price, you cannot buy a better mic. The sound quality is better than any other mic I have owned, including mics far more expensive. If you don't have one in your home studio, buy one NOW!!! Manufacturer Support: I've never had any problems with mine, but a friend had his replaced by the company, no questions asked. The Wow Factor: beautiful, enticing, and sexy on the mic stand. Clean and uncluttered lines, glowing brushed nickle finish. Simple but impressive. Overall: I actually had one stolen from me. I bought another one. This mic is indispensible to me and I would buy another if something happened to this one. I love this mic. I have other recording mics, but they just sit on the shelf collecting dust. Don't waste your money on a mic three times as expensive. the NT1a will not let you down.

"Great mic, great value, awesome performance." submitted July 27, 2011

Musical Background: Voice Over actor, broadcaster
Sound: Rich, Clear and quiet. An amazing mic that gives a lot of value for the money. I'll buy the Broadcaster version, next. Feature: shock mount and popscreen are an added bonus. Ease of Use: close, far, soft, loud... it handles them all. As a voice-over actor, this is a versatile as it gets. Quality: solid Value: This one should go to 11. Manufacturer Support: n/a

"Look no further than the NT-1 for the serious home studio." submitted February 24, 2004

By a customer from unm.edu
Music Style: Experimental Psychedelia
Sound: Very warm microphone, with a nice, flat response. I use it for vocals and acoustic guitar. Much truer than Behrenger B-1 or B-2. I am using the NT-1A with a Mac that runs Logic Audio. I love it. Feature: Mic comes with very nice shock mount, and bag. Quality: This mic is very well made. It is a high quality piece of professional recording equiptment. It turns the home studio into a semi-pro studio. Value: The mic is a great value. Other mics that come close to it, like AKG or M-Audio are at least double the price. If you can afford it, this is a great bargain. Manufacturer Support: I haven't needed to deal with Rode, and don't think I will. The mic is fine right out of the box. The Wow Factor: This is great looking mic, and works great. Like I said above, this takes the home studio one step closer to being a pro-studio. After all, this is a pro mic. Overall: I'll be using this mic for years to come. I will probably by another one soon.

"How do they do it for the money" submitted October 27, 2005

Overall
Musical Background: Vocalist in two bands, have own recording studio, bassist
Music Style: blues, metal and general acustic rock
Sound: Bought this mic to use with overhead cymbals, had a play, and decided that would be a waste. Directly compaired it with my usual u87, and found it actually quieter in use. Prefered the tone for vocals, and now use it as my main vocal mic for rock vocals. It also sounds superb with acustic strings. To compete this well against a mic costing over 10 times the amount is quite remarkable at the price Feature: There are no features, which is why i rated it highly. Don't like mics with lots of added switches as my pre amp does all that. For reproduction of a given sound find it easier to have all the adjustments made from one place, if it has switches, someone will just play with them. Didn't really need a trim control, as the mic handles high noise levels very well. Quality: Only been using it for two months, quality seems fine, shock mount is a bit of a pain as the elastic kept slipping off, but easily rectified with a pair of pliers. Value: competes well for vocals against far more expensive mics. I'm going to buy two more to replace my current overhead cymbal mics. I'd happily pay three times what i paid for it having heard the sound quality Manufacturer Support: marked it high as i haven't had to use customer service. Have an original nt1 as well, and that has served me well for a few years without problems, so hopefully this will be the same The Wow Factor: Pretty standard looking, wouldn't bother me if it was the ugliest mic on the planet, its the sound that matters. It is however, a lot easier on the eye than most of my more expensive models. Overall: Fot the tasks i'm using, i'm more than happy. It won't replace my u87 for all vocals, but for heavier vocals and string instruments i will be using it for quite a time yet. The low self noise is one factor that will guarantee this.

"Excellent mic and excellent value" submitted October 11, 2011

By a customer from att.net
Musical Background: Hobbyist with dreams
Music Style: Midwestern reggae
Sound: Everything people say about this mic is true: it's quiet, it's versatile, and it has great sound. I wouldn't say it's "uncolored" - there's a definite presence lift at the high mid-range - but it's a good sound that offers clarity and some sparkle if you roll some of the lower frequencies back a little. Or maybe you want that phat low end this mic has in abundance. The mic is HOT and easy to overdrive, so work with your preamp to find the sweet spot for your equipment. For less than $250 this is an exceptional mic. Don't buy it because it's cheap - buy it because it's a good choice to have in your studio. Feature: Comes with a nice bottom-threaded shock mount with the "Anniversary Package" - definitely a step or two up from the clamp mount it used to feature. The integrated pop filter is a nice touch, but easily removed if you are miking an instrument. There's also a nice quality XLR cable included. The instructional DVD is instructional if you have no experience with mic technique, and the woman singing on it has a great voice that's just pleasant to listen to. The down side here is there is no kind of case - not even the cloth bag you see in the DVD (or maybe my box just didn't have it). Ease of Use: Plug it in, adjust your equipment, and make noise. There are no pads or low-cut filters, and the pattern is fixed cardioid. Quality: The mic itself is very well constructed using good materials. It has very little ring if you give it a tap. And self noise is low. The thumb screws on the shock mount are plastic, so you want to be gentle with them. Value: Extremely good value. For $230.00 it's a steal. Manufacturer Support: I'll go by reputation here. I've read a lot of good comments about Rode support. And you can't ask for more than a ten year warranty! The Wow Factor: It's a nice looking mic - bronze colored with a nice but not flashy basket. Overall: I'll keep this one - I have other mics but this has versatility and is a good jack-of-all-trades piece of equipment that I want available in my studio. If I lost it or some other tragedy befalls it I'd definitely buy another - or perhaps one of Rode's higher-end models like the NT2-A. I give it an 8 because you can't really compare it to other mics in the price range (it's a 10 there), but you can get better for twice as much money. But only a bit better.

"I love this mic! What else can I say?" submitted December 9, 2010

Overall
Sound: I record spoken word and previously used a very tedious digital recording suite. I don't remember who advised me to buy this product, but my skepticism was misplaced. I bought it with the Tascam 144 Mk2, and I don't regret it a bit. The sound quality is really fantastic, and the simplicity of use is great. I am male with a deep baritone voice and this mic suits my work very well. It gives nice rich crisp sounds. I even tested it in a regular room, i.e. not kitted out with anything vaguely resembling an acoustic studio. It sounded great... once I turned off the A/C! Very quite mic with absolutely minimal hissing or ambient noise. The mic is disconcertingly light, but I used a scissor arm, so that works great for me. I know some people think weight equals quality, but in this case the opposite is true. Feature: The reason for the 8 and not a 10 is that the mic comes with its own shock mount and built-on pop filter. The pop filter is fixed onto the mount and so has limited maneuverability. I appreciate the thinking behind it, and it is definitely better than a goose-neck pop filter, but great flexibility on position would've been perfect. Ease of Use: Ok, so I guess we're spoilt with plug'n'play these days. And in fairness my issues are really related to the TAscam 144, but without that I wouldn't have been able to use this mic directly on my mac. It took me about 45 mins and watching a few YouTube videos to really tweak it all so I was finally hearing the mic through both left and right. But 45 mins isn't really that much. Like I say, we're spoilt... Quality: The product seems to be well built, and I have no reason not to love the quality. Value: Great price!

"Rode NT1-A Studio Condenser Microphone" submitted May 2, 2012

By Harvey Ray in Sioux Lookout, ON
Overall
Musical Background: I have been singing and playing guitar for 50 years. I do play professionallyand I jam at home
Music Style: country
Overall: This is the greatest mic I have ever used. The sound is unbelievable and its also great at different angles which is fun to play with. It is awesome for studio recording. Put it this way I can't say anything but GOOG or GREAT for this product. Thanks Zzound.

Rode NT1-A Condenser Mic Customer Review submitted April 5, 2005

By a customer from lefferts.us
Overall
Musical Background: Expert in electronic and digital Audio ststems Performer/ Composer/Professor
Music Style: Personally, "experimental" professionally- whatever the client wants
Sound: I purchased 5 of thease and could not be happer. Superb Quality, Excellent sound quality, nothing comes near it at three times the price. Ultra quiet with a with a very wide dynamic range. Feature: Shock mount-great, Construction immaculate, Quality: I use them on the road only in controlled environments for 5.1 recording. Great for many diverse applications in the studio however. Manufacturer Support: Never had to call them The Wow Factor: Love it, Very practical addition Overall: I will never part with thease 5. They are impeccably matched in frequency response. Naturally I will continue to add other michrophones to my collection.

"best in class" submitted April 26, 2011

Musical Background: producer, music lover
Music Style: Hip Hop, RnB, electronic, others
Sound: a big jump from my MXL 990, very clear and vivid sound that stands out in the mix and has a warm sound as well, buy it now best mic in this price range, believe the hype! Feature: would be nice if they added bass roll off Ease of Use: easy to use Quality: well built in Australia. Value: great value I got the mic package with the Pop screen and mic shock mount, dvd

"THE BEST MIC OUT THERE. READ THE PROFESSIONAL REVIEWS,NO OFFENSE BUT SOME OF THE REVIEWERS HERE ARE PROBABLY RODE'S COMPETITORS" submitted February 26, 2005

By a customer from NETSCAPE.NET
Musical Background: MUSICIAN,RECORDING ENGINEER
Music Style: VARIOUS
Sound: YOU WON'T FIND A BETTER MIC AT 10 TIMES THE PRICE. IT'S ULTRA LOW NOISE ,FANTASTIC ON VOCALS,GREAT ON ACOUSTIC INSTRUMENTS, EVEN LEAD GUITAR AND BASS CABS. I DON'T SEE HOW ANYONE CAN GIVE THIS MIC ANYTHING LESS THAN A 10 IN ALL CATEGORY RATINGS !! ONE SHMO SAID THE BEHRINGER MIC IS BETTER- GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!! Feature: THIS MIC IS VERY STRAIGHTFORWARD. NO BASS ROLL OFF OR ATTENUATOR AND WORKS ABSOLUTELY GREAT WITHOUT THOSE FEATURES.. DYNAMIC RANGE AND OUTPUT IS SUPERB. Quality: QUALITY IS A 10 ALL THE WAY. I OWN A U87A AND A TLM103.. I GOTTA SAY IT'S BETTER THAN BOTH ON VOCALS. Manufacturer Support: NEVER NEEDED SUPPORT FROM RODE.

"Really cool!" submitted October 19, 2010

Music Style: Rock, Pop, Musical
Sound: I do like its clear sound, in fact it's my fav mic Feature: What I like about it is that its surface isn't stuffed with controls at all, it's just the body. The things you may require can also be done by a good preamplifier Ease of Use: It's usable right out of the box, after connectiong it to the phantom power supply/mixer. Quality: By wheighing it you might think that it's kinda lightweight and therefore bad manufactured. But feeling it shows it isn't. Value: No better mic for the price. The Wow Factor: It looks modern and... just nice^^ Overall: this is like the kewlest microphone I can afford

"Perfect!" submitted November 20, 2013

By Charles B in Woodbine, NJ
Overall
Overall: This mic mainly picks up what you say into it. and thats really good for recording, because it doesn't catch too much background noise at all. I like it a lot .

"The Real from a owner of it for about a year" submitted February 9, 2007

Overall
Sound: My review is for the people that do hip hop/rap. I've had this mic for a while, and the sound is dope, i had a cheap 70$ preamp and this mic still pulled off some superb vocals especially when i first got it, it's maybe a couple notches down from big time studio vocals, but with the price it's understood. to hear this mic's quality www.myspace.com/jsnizzy Feature: A case and a shockmount. Nothin special, after months of using it the shockmount had a tendancy to unscrew itself and fall apart, would recommend buying a medal more sturdy shockmount Ease of Use: It's a bit painful squeezing this thing into it's shockmount. You have to be very careful with this thing. Trust me when i say this, the better you take care of it, the more superb your quality will be with this thing. Quality: Quality was good, this was my first condensor and i didn't hear anyone locally with better vocal quality than what i was kicken out, i got this quote so many times "Your vocals are so clear, did you do this at a studio?" the preamp and e-mu audio sound card was a major boost, mostly the e-mu audio sound card. Value: A solid 8, if your starting out into the music world this would be the first stop to go. Definately. Manufacturer Support: Didn't need any support. Overall: Great mic got me through 5 mixtapes, of good vocals. Don't let it fall though, if this thing falls from 2-3 feet at least 2-3 times the quality turns bad, like any condensor it doesn't take much to screw up the sound. www.myspace.com/jsnizzy

"Excellent Mic! Regardless of Price" submitted February 17, 2011

By a customer from excite.com
Musical Background: Active Musician, & Part Time Recording Engineer
Music Style: Country/Southern&Classic Rock
Sound: Excellent sound and very quiet. No complaints. Feature: Came with pop filter, Mic cable and suspension mount. My only complaint is that it does NOT come with a case! Just a LARGE box that holds the mount, mic, and pop filter. Even low priced Behringer & MXL mics come with a hard case. I haven't been able to find one yet that fits properly. Guess I'll keep it in the big box it came in until I find a suitable hard case for it. This was the only dissappointment. Ease of Use: It's easy to get a good sound out of it. Clean and quiet. Quality: I'll give it a 10 for now and see how it holds up in the future. Has a 10 year warrantee. No problems yet. Only had it for a few weeks. Value: Excellent value. Great mic for great price. Manufacturer Support: Haven't had to deal with them yet. Overall: It's a good buy even without the hard case.

"Get one." submitted January 12, 2004

Overall
Sound: This mic can be used to capture great vocals but setup is very critical because it has a smaller sweet spot range than more expensive mics. I have also had some troubles with explosive from a few performers, especially 'K's'. Feature: No frills, just hook it up. Be nice to have some response curves in the next iteration. Quality: Three year old and still ticking. Value: No one can beat this value. C3000 is probably closet in quality but is a third more $$. The Wow Factor: Wouldn't mind having another - or better a matched pair just for fun. Overall: I bought this mic to hold me over until I got a 414, I still don't have a 414... given the choice of course I'd take a number of more expensive mics, but the value on the nt1 is just too nice to ever pass up. If you are half-way skilled this mic can be lovely.

"Incredible" submitted April 3, 2005

Musical Background: Recording engineer
Music Style: Jazz/funk/rock
Sound: Bought one after using a stereo pair of NT2's. It's an amazing mic, great dynamics and very flat response, by far my favourite ever piece of kit. Like all condensers affected by humidity considerably. Put some decent headphones on and max out the preamp and you can easily hear your neighbours (you get the idea). Feature: Shockmount is good, they should ship it with some silica gel though. Quality: They know what they're doing down there in Oz. I also have 4 NT-3's which I've used live and put them through hell, they go on forever. As long as you dont get them wet. Value: Worth five times what it's priced at. Behringer? Dude you're a retard. What, are you plugging it into your iPod or something? And the movie is 51st State. I can't BELEIVE your review. Manufacturer Support: Bought it 3 years ago for 120 quid. Never had to deal with them. My mate has. They're good. The Wow Factor: No need for an explanation here. Overall: Amazing piece of kit.

"my review for this" submitted November 17, 2008

Musical Background: guitar player, engineer
Music Style: rock, drum and bass, techno, rap, alternative
Sound: I'm preparing my first debut album and i got this mic because of the user with the www.myspace.com/jsnizzy website link. I'm more of a rocker see but theres no denying the good damn quality i heard and i am more of a listener than a reader when it comes to products. The mic is good, good price, and kicks some good stuff out just like i expected, its heavy though but does the job damn good. Feature: basket mount thats all Ease of Use: easy Quality: awesome quality would only ask for more if i paid more Value: 9! Manufacturer Support: only support i needed was to know what plugs go into it The Wow Factor: nothing pretty to me. when me and my band record we dont consider the studio a beauty parlor Overall: until we make more money we will keep this

"This Mic is a Steal at this price!!! Buy 4 of them..." submitted December 24, 2005

By a customer from taconic.net
Musical Background: Active musician and recording engineer
Music Style: Country, Folk & Rock
Sound: Great sounding mic for the money. Very clean and very quiet. Feature: Came with the shock mount and protective case. This mic is perfect as is. I don't give a crap about things like roll-off switches on a mic. That's what a good console and EQ is for. Give me a mic that sounds great without the gadgets! This is the one. Quality: What more could anyone want? The NT1-A was rated better than a Neuman as far as low self noise goes. It's rated as one of the quietest mics in the world. Value: I've had higher end mics such as AKG that don't sound nearly as good. Manufacturer Support: I remain neutral. Haven't had to deal with them... The Wow Factor: It's plain Jane but what else does one need in a mic. Plug it in and just use the damn thing. It reproduces the source material perfectly before EQ and/or effects!! Overall: No plans on getting rid of it - EVER!! Like all the mics in my locker I'm keeping every one of them. You can never have enough!!

"Good vocal, and instrument mic." submitted May 5, 2004

Overall
Music Style: Experimental Art Rock, Jazz, Hip Hop, Trip Hop, RnB.
Sound: It has a good warm tone, not harsh or brittle. It's ultra-sensitive, which can be good or bad. I can hear things outside, when my vocal booth door is open and I have on headphones. It is very flat, and less colored than a lot of mics I've tried that cost twice as much, and it has transparent self noise. I can tell it's on half the time, unless I see the VU meters move. Feature: The aren't really any features, it's a condeser mic, with cardiod pattern reception. It doesn't have any pad or roll-off, which I'm used to with my other mics, so, I give it an eight (8). You get a nice little anti moistening pouch, to dry off the mic after use, and an ok shockmount. The shockmout is ok, but the threading (elastic ties, I don't mean the screw) comes off the grips sometimes. The latter is easily reattached though. Quality: The body is of quality nickel, and is hard to scratch. The grill seems a bit fragile though, but this is common in condensers to allow for vocal pickup. I would always use a pop filter, with this mic, as in most condensers. Value: Definitely worth the price, maybe even much more. Manufacturer Support: I've never had to contact Rode. The Wow Factor: I own it. If it was stolen, I'd likely give some other Rode mic a test drive, thinking that "if this is this good, the other must be even better". If I can't find a suitable/better replacement from Rode, I'd get the NT-A, again. Overall: This is a great mic, especially for it's price, and competes with mics I own, that costs twice as much. This definitely get's one my top shelf, with the Neumann, etc, as opposed to the closet in the sound room, with the mediocre mics of mine. Ofcourse it's not comparable to a Neumann, or the like, but it certainly holds it's own.

"Can't Complain!" submitted November 4, 2004

Musical Background: Musician, Recording engineer
Music Style: Rock, alt, emo, some country(not my fav. but I have done it)
Sound: The sound is great! I dont have to touch the eq it has a very flat response ... just the way it should be... the person who gave it negative points was probably using for the wrong purposes or has a crapy preamp or board... for the money it's a great buy... Feature: Not any to speak of... Quality: Havn't had it for too long so I havn't taken it on the road as of yet... but so far it hasn't failed me. Value: For the money the only thing that I can think of that would be as good is the Audio technica AT3035.... but it's most definitly worth it. Manufacturer Support: I havn't had a problem and I'm sure if I idid I'd be able to get a hold of them The Wow Factor: It looks good and sounds damn good for the money... I can't complain either way... Overall: Over all it's been great to me so far when I've needed it... I can't complain!

"Great Overall Mic. No frills great sound." submitted October 9, 2009

By a customer from therhemacompany.com
Musical Background: 10+years Educated Artist, Producer, Engineer
Music Style: Classical, Film Scoring, Vocal, Italian, Opera, R&B/Oldies, Pop, Light Rock, Jazz
Sound: The sound is smooth, netural, flat and responsive, with a touch of warmth. It sounds very good overall; highs are natural and airy- a smidgen thin, lows are neutral, rich and flat. Mids are sharp in your face while being smooth as a baby's butt. Not bad. I was honestly expecting a bit more warmth, but that could be my preamp. I am using a tube presonus pre with a groove tube replacing the factory "china" tube. It has a touch of warmth, but not enough for me. I want to get an Avalon tube pre and see how much it differs with the NT1A. My next choice is a Rode K2 mic with a vintage Siemens Tube and see if I can get the neutral smooth response of the NT1A and add a ton of warmth. VERY QUIET MIC! I can't hear it with normal recording. Sounds incredible on acoustic guitar- my mix sounds like the guitar is "3D" in my headphones. Amazing on instruments! Violin sounds incredible. The stringed instruments I have recorded gave me goosebumps- the nuances of the strings and swells on the violin are amazing. Obviously you can hear fingers resting on strings to the breathing of the player as well. It is amazing how it can ignore noisy backgrounds like freeway bikers and truckers and still pick up instruments this beautifully. I could listen to recordings of a violin on this mic for hours and never fatigue. Solid 8 maybe 9 out of 10. That is comparing to the best out there, Neumann and such so that is an incredible score! I still desire more warmth, but it sounds neutral smooth and flat... I would consider using this for live performances because it's ability to tone out the background noise, the great sound quality, and rugged build. I wouldn't be that worried about it either it's only $200. It's sort of directional too which work for live. my $0.02 Feature: No features really. What you see is what you get. Simple and great starter mic. Ease of Use: Easy to use- shock mount is kind of cheap/flimsy. Quality: Exceptional for price. In every aspect. Rugged. Except for the shock mount. Value: 10 out of 10. Better than you expect it to be. $220 is what I paid, I definetly don't feel like I got ripped off. Manufacturer Support: No experience with Rode Support. The Wow Factor: It's a basic no frills sturdy clean looking mic. The anniversary "gold" version looks better than this silver one. Overall: I am looking to get a Rode K2 with a vintage Siemens tube for lead vocals, but I have and will continue to use this NT1A for instruments, background vocals and such.

"NT1A - does a vioce right" submitted April 20, 2010

By a customer from q.com
Music Style: Alternative and voice over
Sound: Sounds great to me. Warm, yet very true to the performance. M-audio Ultra pres a little weak, but even cranked, I get very little distortion, I do mostly voice over work and I get clean and realistic performances. Feature: I bought the mic with a shock mount and cable. Could probably use a better stand for it. Don't go cheap with the stand like I did. Ease of Use: The thing sounds great. Exclusive to the performer, not a lot of extra noise if you are attentive to levels. Sensitive, responsive and easy to configure to the task. Uncomplicated. Quality: I assume it's made well, but I'm afraid to drop a condenser mike, I treat it with kid gloves. Cosmetically, the gold dot fell off when I took it out of the package. Yet, it's performed flawlessly, so all is forgiven. Value: Hey, I get great sounds from it, but I do primarily voice over work. For a couple hundred bucks, and my fairly gingerly treatment if it, it performs well. Manufacturer Support: No contact with RODE. It works great The Wow Factor: Hey, I've got a high performance mike for about 229 bucks. Quietest mike in the world? Heck it makes me sound good, and that's pretty sexy to me ;) Overall: As long as it works this well, I may not need another mike (total gear slut so you know it isn't true) Some ribbon mics might turn my head, but when I have a voice over gig, I'll reach for the one who brought me ;) NT1A

"One Of The Best For Rap Vocals" submitted March 27, 2006

Musical Background: Recording Engineer/Rapper
Music Style: Hip Hop Rap and R&B
Sound: The sound quality is great. Its one of the best vocal mics i own. Feature: no db pads nothing just st8 up good sound. Ease of Use: plug it up and go. Quality: sounds really crisp...you might need at pre-amp Value: At 200 bucks you aint getting a better vocal mic.. Manufacturer Support: never needed so that means its good.. The Wow Factor: nice sliverish gold finish look good in the booth Overall: i wont be giving up this mic anytime soon...its the best mic i own get for rap vocals...if i was stolen i would buy it again..i wish i would have brought it in 2003...

"Awesome value" submitted June 6, 2005

Overall
Sound: Awesome sound for the money! Feature: you don't get a mic of this quality this cheap.

"Why not own one?" submitted May 15, 2003

Music Style: What ever sounds good
Sound: This is a very good sounding mic. It is as good as you can get for a mic under the 500 -600$ mic. It does not have much mic coloration, which, can be great, or not so good. It is all in what you want. No matter, it is worth the money, which for the sound is not a lot of money. SO I would go for it. Feature: Shock mount is very good. No low cut or -10db pad, can be touchy on sound sorces gaining more than 120db's. Good vocal mic. And nice on most string instraments. Quality: Very tough. Like a brick house. Value: Very good value price. In the price range it is A++. The Wow Factor: For the price there is no reason not to have this one in the mic locker. Overall: It will have it's place in my studio, even with the u87's around. Differnt sound are created by differant mics, so it only matters what level of (FI) you want a track to hold. Good price, so get one.

"Help's to make blazin' tracks..." submitted October 27, 2004

Musical Background: Music Producer
Music Style: Hip Hop , Rap , and R&B
Sound: great sound good for recording a md-range voice real clear and crisp. sounds even better with a great preamp. Feature: no real other accessories just the shockmount which is pretty nice. Quality: nicely made. Value: great value for a $200.

Rode NT1-A Condenser Mic Customer Review submitted December 9, 2008

By a customer from camcast.net
Musical Background: Producer
Music Style: HipHop,R&B,Jazz,Alternative
Sound: It's a little bright on the high end's but I would much rather that then a muddy sound,but It's easy to eq it.One the the lowest self sound mics you can find. Feature: Not really any features,thats the only difference with this mic then the nt2 Ease of Use: pulg it into a pre amp. and your good to go. Quality: very strong mic,It will last long. Value: very good price. Manufacturer Support: never had to call support. The Wow Factor: the guy at the store even recommended this mic and I planed on getting it anyway! Overall: Intill I can afford a numand u67,Im going to stick with this one.

"THE LEGENDARY MICROPHONE" submitted March 10, 2006

Musical Background: Emcee
Music Style: Rap & Hip-Hop
Sound: I can actually hear my own voice without any distortion, My vocals can actually flow with the music...THE MOST QUEITEST MICROPHONE I'VE HEARD AND USED! *getting rid of the old microphone* Feature: All what it needs for a microphone, it also came with a stand-mount with a pair of extra strings just in case. Ease of Use: It was easy to get it working for my USB interface, I didn't need those microphones with the multiple cardoid patterns...THIS WAS THE PERFECT MICROPHONE WITH JUST ONE CARDOID PATTERN. Quality: Its a sensative mic, all you need some distance & the quality is incredible. Value: I don't know how Rode does it...I think they put too much work into this microphone, but they are probably getting underpayed for this microphone's value, hahahaha! Manufacturer Support: Yes, I did have a little problem at the beginning but It was completely solved. GREAT SERVICE!!! The Wow Factor: Large, Nickel-plated microphone, with a golden dot, that should get all customers wanting this microphone, why not? Overall: My review says it all, this microphone is a gift from God to music. I can't wait till I get a microphone stand with a boom for it!

"For $200, you won't find anything better" submitted October 22, 2006

Musical Background: Hobbyist, Recording Engineer, Vocalist
Music Style: Hip Hop, Soul, R&B, various instrumentation
Sound: This mic has great sound quality for a mic this price, it's very nice for vocals, acoustic guitar and violin, although at times (especially with my voice) the mic can be very bass heavy. It's a fairly warm mic and with the right tweaking during mixdowns you'll be happy with the finished product. The best thing about the sound is the clearness and absense of noise and hiss Feature: comes with a shock mount and leather carrying bag Ease of Use: With the right mixing this mic is great, especialy for those with less bass heavy voices Quality: it's a pretty durable mic, i've taken it on trips and it doesn't scratch Value: For $200, I don't think you'll find a better sounding mic than this, it competes with more expensive mics in terms of sound quality, although it doesn't have as much as a warm response as more expensive mics Overall: This mic is perfect for home project studios and is very versatile when it comes to recording anything (from vocals to instruments). Although not as warm sounding as more expensive mics, it can surely compete for clearness in sound with absolutley no noise. If you're looking for clear and good quality sounding products on a limited budget, this mic definatly will not disappoint!

"Ok Mic for the low price" submitted October 28, 2007

Music Style: Rap, Hip Hop
Sound: I use it for vocals. It is a little better than an SM58 but not too much. I would recommend saving a little more and getting an NTK or something in that price range. Feature: It came with a shockmount and case for the mic. Ease of Use: Very easy to use, just plug into preamp or mixer and go. Quality: Product is made strong, I have had it for a few years and no problems with it. Value: Id say it is worth about what it costs, which is to say, not too much. Manufacturer Support: Havent need support The Wow Factor: It looks nice, but quality is not as good as you would imagine. Overall: Im replacing mine with a Rode NTK or K2

"Great Mic for the price, puts out a ncie warm sound" submitted October 19, 2004

Musical Background: Hip Hop Producer
Music Style: Hip Hop
Sound: Great sound quality, very warm sound, compresses well... running off an alto rack preamp which arent the best but mic still sounds nice Quality: Solid as anything, of course i havent dropped it yet but build quality is great Value: Great Value, sounds as solid as much more expensive mics and if you use it right, it can get beautiful results The Wow Factor: Great Looking, but not very contemporary. Overall: Very happy with it and I've only had a couple of recording sessions with it.

"Matched Pair of Rode NT1A = VALUE." submitted June 20, 2011

By a customer from yebiisu.co.nz
Musical Background: Active Musician, Music Teacher & Hobby Recording Engineer
Music Style: Jazz, Funk/Soul/R&B, Reggae/Dub, Alternative, Classical
Sound: I have used this mic for male vocals, female vocals, drum overheads, guitar amps and a keyboard amp (because I couldn't DI the amp). I found the mic to be quite bright but at the same time the crispy high end helped to provide detail. The NT1A was fantastic on the keyboard amp giving responding well to the full range of frequencies and different keyboard sounds while providing a clean, clear sound; it was pretty good on the guitar amp (but I generally prefer to use a small diaphragm condenser and/or a dynamic microphone); as overheads, they provided a clear stereo image of the whole drum kit with just the right amount of 'shine' to the cymbals; worked OK on female vocals but needed some EQ; and finally, it was pretty bad for male vocals but after a bit of EQ and compression, the vocalist ended up sounding much better than he does in real life. Of course with vocalists, there is no one mic which works for everybody so what didn't work for the vocalists I recorded might work for others! When I initially tried the mic out, I felt that it was a bit too bright for my tastes and preferred a more neutral sounding mic. However, the mic has grown on me over time and I do think that it sounds fantastic for the price you pay! Feature: I bought the matched pair of Rode NT1A microphones. It comes with manuals, a certificate of proof that they are a matched pair, 2 Rode shockmounts, 2 NT1A large diaphragm condenser microphones and a foam lined hard plastic case to protect the microphones. The shockmount and case are great bits to have as they can be quite expensive to purchase separately. The microphones are fixed cardioid pattern with no other features (such as -10dB pad, a low cut switch, or high cut switch). I feel that the signal from the NT1A is quite hot so a -10dB pad would have been great but not necessary. Ease of Use: I think you'd have to be a bit of an idiot to not figure out how a condenser microphone works but yes, you need phantom power for a condenser microphone to work. Simply turn down the gain (volume) to minimum on your preamp / audio interface, make sure phantom power is 'off', then connect the NT1A to your preamp / audio interface via XLR-XLR cable, and finally, turn phantom power on and slowly turn up the gain to a suitable recording level... easy as pie :) Quality: The quality is great! No problems yet! The little gold medallion Rode put on all their microphones has fallen off one of the mics and I have heard that it is quite a common thing to happen. However, I believe it's nothing a little bit of glue can't fix. The shockmounts are a little bit annoying. Due to the bulky hinge, they can't be adjusted to every angle without scuffing the plastic on the shockmount. If you have an NT1A shockmount, you'll know exactly what I mean. One of the shockmounts has also had one of the clips break off so I imagine I may need to replace the entire shockmount sometime in the future. Value: Great value! If I could get the same deal again, I would. I would have to agree that the Rode NT1A is one of the best value condenser microphones out there. Manufacturer Support: I haven't had to deal with Customer Support for this product. The Wow Factor: Just to clarify, this section is about the aesthetic value of the product which means very little to me. Still, I'll comment. The Rode NT1A is a pretty sexy looking microphone with a conventional large diaphragm condenser microphone look to it (modeled after the Neumann U87). It has a silver mesh capsule protecting the diaphragm, a frosted silver finish to the body, and a little gold medallion (the trademark of Rode) to mark the front of the mic. The simplicity and elegance of the microphone gives guests to your studio the impression that it means business. Overall: The Rode NT1A has proved itself to be one of the best value condenser microphones out there. With a bit of tweaking, it will lend itself well to just about any recording application. It is simple to use. It looks and sounds impressive. The Rode NT1A has convinced me to invest in other Rode microphones. I would definitely buy another set of these if mine were lost or stolen!

"NT1Ahhhhh...." submitted November 14, 2006

By a customer from bigpond.net.au
Musical Background: Composer
Music Style: Orchestral/Soundtrack
Sound: Although it feels like the high mids are slightly accentuated, the capturing a good quality recording with the NT1A is just too easy. Take it out, plug it in, and I've instantly got a good workable sound. Feature: Apart from the shock mount, extra tension bands and the mic itself... there's nothing else.. which is PERFECT! No fuss, no extraenous variables which can change your sound. It is what it is. Ease of Use: Superb. I can whip it out on a moment's notice and it does the job without complaints. It's surprisingly durable as well; has survived a few drops from my clumsy hands :P Very versatile as well... have used it very effectively with various things from vocals, to guitars, to wooden indian flutes :P Quality: Hey... it's not a Neumann, but who cares? With the extremely low noise floor, and the actual cost of the mic; the quality is out-of-this-world. Value: I cannot see any other mic in this price range performing nearly as well. Superb value for its price. Manufacturer Support: I have not needed to deal with the company for technical support, but through my contacts via music retail, I have found Rode to be a very helpful and professional outfit. Kudos! The Wow Factor: It's silver... I suppose that helps. Overall: Whether you are new to the game, or a seasoned pro; you should seriously consider adding this microphone to your arsenal. For the price, you'd be stupid not to. :P

Rode NT1-A Condenser Mic Customer Review submitted September 5, 2008

Sound: Ok...what many people don't know is........it doesnt matter about the sound quality although this mic really has it. But its about your lyrics.....the mic dont get you signed..the lyrics do...but on down the road you might wana sound better and just get new equipment. if you are lookin to sound great. Get This Mic......it has the same ability as the Audio Technica 3035..but the Rode nt1a is alot warmer Ease of Use: plug and play Quality: 100% for home studios Manufacturer Support: be careful and dont drop- this one

"The NT1A is an Excellent Pro-Quality Mic for such an affordable price. If you could only buy one studio mic, This would be it. A" submitted May 28, 2003

Overall
Music Style: Rap, RnB, Urban Instrumental.
Sound: The sound was suprisingly superb for such a low priced mic, very low noise floor and great clarity. This should be a great purchase for any Project or Pro studio owner. The test recordings i got to do at the music shop was amazing they have a booth setup for testing mics. As long as you have a Pop Filter and a good mic pre-amp, your recordings will come out with an outstanding response from such a budget priced Studio Mic. Big ups to RODE for the NT1A. Highly Recommend it Feature: They told me it comes with a Shockmount which means all you have to buy is the mic stand. It's a fragile piece of equiptment so taking it on the road will probably have its consequences. Amazingly this mic captures sounds with great clarity that you would only expect from more expensive models. Quality: Very nice looking mic with a polished look. The sound as previously stated is amazing. the mic seems pretty reliable for Studio purposes but not for road work. The main drawback i saw here is the fact that you can't take it on the road cause its very fragile. Seems pretty well put together so they're shouldn't be any problems with the mechanical parts falling out(Unless you horseplay at the recording booth which i do not recommend). Value: Its definitely a must buy studio mic for ANY serious Recording Engineers and/or Studio Owners. Manufacturer Support: N/A The Wow Factor: Definitely adds that "Pro" Look to any home or project studio. not only does it look sexy it sounds sexy. A Must-Buy! Overall: It definitely exceeded my expectations for the current $199.99 price tag.

Rode NT1-A Condenser Mic Customer Review submitted November 25, 2009

Overall
Sound: its not that great for male voices and sounds really boomy and muddy Ease of Use: very very hard lots of eq and it still sounds bad

When you call, mention priority code 158J-SK1H. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976