When you call, mention priority code 12BB-V2SV

Rating and Reviews: Gibson 2014 SG Stnd Min-E

Own a USA-made Gibson SG for less! Gibson sets the Standard higher than ever with coil-tappable '57 Classic pickups and innovative Min-ETune tuning system.

"Great Gibson SG Standard with some COOL perks..." submitted March 17, 2014

By Eric M in Greenbrier, AR
Overall
Musical Background: 25+ years, Professional Musician, Gibson SG Standard, American Fender Deluxe, Charvel CX-325, Epi ES-339, Dean Custom Zone
Music Style: Hard Rock, Grunge, Metal, New Wave
Overall: *Wow Factor: For my Gibson SG Standard I chose the Walnut finish and the grain is just spectacular. I seriously suggest someone to look through the different Serial Numbers on the Zzounds website to find one that catches your eye. The 120th inlay at the 12th fret adds some class and IMO looks best with the Trapezoid inlays. The Min-Etune is something that is great if you play in alternate tunings, Although, I have found myself liking it more and more. (I will talk more on this in Features). It's an SG so the Wow Factor is already high. (5 stars) *Value: I really like having the option to pay as you play. I bought it at $1499 and then the next day it went up to $1635. So, I was lucky to get it in that price range which I found to be the best on the web. I mean it's an SG Standard and a tried and true instrument of hard rock, 'nuff said. (5 Stars) *Ease of Use: This is a short scaled instrument and does take some getting used to if you have never played one for any period of time. I had to adjust my picking hand placement, but other than that I could not be more pleased. The rosewood fretboard and fret over binding makes this beast play like butter. The action and setup out of the box was great. I did make minor adjustments on the saddle, but I tend to do this on ALL of my guitars. I would also suggest you change the strings immediately when you get it just so you can use some lem-oil or mineral oil to treat the fretboard as it is quite dry from the factory. I use Cleartone (10-48) strings anyway and they are some of the best strings I have played. Good choice for Gibson to use these. (4.5 stars) *Sound: The '57 Classic Humbuckers sound incredible! They have a warm tone and are definitely high output. I tested this against some hand wound high output D'Bartolini pickups in a Valley Arts Custom Shop guitar, and the SG blew it away. The '57 Classics are dirty when you want it, but you can still hear every note. They clean up nicely as well and are VERY clear and punchy. The coil taps are great in the Rhythm position, but have a distinct buzz when tapped in the treble position. This is not a huge deal to me, but Gibson could have done a little better in making them noiseless. BTW, the sustain on this axe is never ending!! You can literally play the guitar without ever picking a note. Great for swells. (4 stars) *Manufacturer Support: I have not had to deal with Gibson on this guitar, but have always been pleased with their support. (5 stars) *Quality: The craftsmanship on this guitar is impeccable down to every detail. It is what you have come to expect from Gibson USA. The finish is glossy, the mahogany has beautiful grains. This guitar is evenly balanced and the quality of the components are without equal for this price range. I will have to say that I was rather disappointed with the case. It just feels rather cheap. The lid on the inside compartment feels like it could be ripped off every time I open it. The plush interior really isn't plush and it feels like cardboard is what the guitar rests on. But that has nothing to do with the guitar, everyone who has played it has commented on how easily it plays and how good it sounds. (5 stars) *Features: This is the most versatile and unique SG in a very long time. The '57 Classics are awesome and are a must have. The neck has the '60's tapered style and is great for all styles and helpful for people with smaller hands. Alright, let's talk about the Min-Etune. I honestly can live without it, BUT I find it more and more helpful to quickly detune to a half step or into an open G. This is also has been the talk of the band because I'm finished tuning before anyone else. It has grown on me so much, that I have purchased one for my American Strat. Don't let the naysayers talk you out of purchasing a Gibson because of this feature. It is truly innovating and has turned out to be a great addition to an A+ guitar. But please Gibson, take 'E-Tune' off the truss rod cover and and put SG back on it. I know you are proud of this very innovative and helpful device, but it does not define this guitar!! (5 stars) *Overall: This is an American made Gibson SG Standard. Overall, it is an excellent guitar and an excellent choice to purchase. Think about it; Tony Iommi, Angus Young, Eric Clapton, Derek Trucks, Ron Wood, Kim Thayil, George Harrison, the list goes on and on of great players who have played live or recorded with SG Standards. You cannot go wrong with this instrument and Zzounds makes it happen without killing your wallet. (5 stars)

"2014 SG Standard sooooo nice!!!" submitted January 6, 2014

By Chris P in Wampum, PA
Musical Background: 25 + years, jam with friends and record at home
Music Style: Blues, rock, metal
Overall: Picked up one these in fire burst for a christmas gift from the wifey. I love the 57 classics and the light weight of the guitar. It resonates like a dream. At first i thought that i could take or leave the minetune but now that ive played around with it I really enjoy it. The quick tune ups and alternate tunings at the touch of a button. Love it! The new graph tech nut is long over due on the Gibbys. The 120 year inlay on the 12th is eye candy but it does add a touch of class. All in all this will be a great guitar for years to come!

"Gibson 2014 SG Standard Min-ETune" submitted January 15, 2014

By John Thurston in Franklinville, NJ
Overall
Musical Background: Playing Guitar for 40 years. Home Studio.
Music Style: Rock and Blues
Overall: Great Guitar! "Manhattan Midnight" color was really nice. Played with ease but the Min-ETune was crap. Played slightly sharp and did not want to deal with that. Can't believe Gibson is forcing this Robot tuner on us. We don't have a choice. So I returned the Guitar and hope they put the SG out once again without the Min-ETune and I would buy one.

When you call, mention priority code 12BB-V2SV. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976