When you call, mention priority code 157N-YG7K

Rating and Reviews: Epiphone Gothic Explorer

Forget the neighbors -- this guitar will wake the dead! Part of Epiphone's Gothic Series, this Explorer boasts a killswitch and a sick Satin Black finish.

"You'd be insane not to buy it." submitted March 13, 2009

Overall
Musical Background: Hobbyist looking for a band to join.
Music Style: Heavy F-ing Metal
Sound: Sound is really nothing more than personal preferance, and for me, it responds great to my Peavy Vypyr. I've also played it on a Peavy 6505 and it still kicked ass. I don't have the "too muddy" problem some folks do. All I can say to them is tweak the amp some more because mine doesn't sound muddy at all. Just good HEAVY crunch. I also play primarily in drop-C tuning, so I guess you can't complain when its that heavy. Feature: This guitar is perfect for me. No Floyd Rose? Fine with me. It just gets in the way (thats why I got rid of my Schecter) and I don't play the kind of music that would benefit from whammy bar shenanagins. No string locks? Thats cool too. Learn to string the guitar correctly and you will never need string locks. No active pickups? Hey, that means no worries of a battery dying mid performance. Ease of Use: To me, the guitar couldn't be any more comfortable. The neck's shape and size is perfect. Same with the frets, they're spaced just right for my hands. The knobs are also smooth as silk and easy to use, though I only use the tone knob (all the way up) and only use the bridge pickup, which is good because the switch is kind of awkwardly placed out of the way for manipulating while playing. Also, I've also played $1400 Gibson Explorers that felt like crap, so I suppose there is a variation from guitar to guitar. Seems like I got a ringer- put together with all the right parts. Quality: For the price, I couldn't be happier. I mean, its a $400 guitar that feels and plays like a million bucks. Mine came set up perfectly out of the box and has held up to being lugged around without a case with no issues so far. Value: If you want an Explorer and don't want to shell out over a grand, this guitar is perfect. Its just as good as any Gibson Explorer (and better in some cases) but for less than half the price. You'd be crazy not to jump on one. Manufacturer Support: I haven't needed it, so couldn't tell you. The Wow Factor: There's nothing more metal than flat black. Its gorgeoes. And the glossy black pickguard accents it so well, as do the knobs, bridge, and tuners. And I like the neck. I've always though dots to be tacky,so I really like the clean look of the fretboard. The XII inlay is also a nice touch. I really wish it had an ebony fretboard, but then it wouldn't be priced at only $400. This guitar with my camo strap is pure sex. Overall: As far as I'm concerned, this guitar will remain in my arsenal until I die. I will never sell or trade it, rather I will buy it new siblings and always consider it my favorite. It will be spoiled. Its my drop-C king, as others will be tuned in drop-D and drop-B accordingly, and I primarily play in drop-C.

"Just change the pickups!" submitted December 29, 2007

Music Style: Metal, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, anything and everything
Sound: This is the ONLY place that this guitar lacks.. The stock pickups aren't too great, they can get pretty muddy under distortion.. I switched them out to a set of Gibson 496R/500T ceramics and this thing absolutely SCREAMS now!! Feature: I only put down a 9 because this guitar doesn't really have any special features, just a bare-boned metal guitar! Ease of Use: Set up perfect outta the box. I couldn't be happier. Quality: The quality of this guitar is excellent, for having been made in korea (mine is anyway, I think the new ones are MIC).. Value: I think this guitar is a GREAT value, especially if you are looking for a metal guitar on a budget. All I reccomend doing is changing out the pickups, and it sounds like a Gibson! Manufacturer Support: Haven't neede to deal with Epiphone.. The Wow Factor: I was GASsing for this guitar for about a year before I bought it, must be one of the sexiest guitars I've ever seen. Overall: Overall, just a wonderful guitar.. Everything about it is great.. It screams "METAL!!", sounds great (after pup upgrade). feels great, you name it!
10 of 11 people (90.91%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great Buy" submitted June 26, 2004

Music Style: Hard Rock/Metal
Sound: Freakin awesome.Seriously,nice heavy tone.Sounds excellent.It's got an excellent clean tone too.Nice crisp sound.And mine is stock,didn't change the pickups. Quality: Haven't had any problems.Paint is still glossy.Tuning heads still tight.Knobs are customized,so I don't know as far as the originals.Overall,it's very well put together. Value: Definatley worth it. Manufacturer Support: Haven't had to deal with them.No need to. The Wow Factor: If you like metal or hard rock,this guitar is for you.It's got that metal crunch,while you can also play something clean and bluesy too. Overall: I'm keeping this for years.It's an excellent guitar.

"THIS GUITAR IS WORTH THE BUY." submitted August 2, 2006

Music Style: Metal/Hardcore
Sound: In my opinion i believe that the Epiphone Goth Explorer is a pretty decent guitar for guitarist who are looking at playing two different styles of music. Such as either a Metal/Hardcore feel or a Blues feel because of this guitars ability to pickup and produce suck a great sound when the guitarist is performing shredding solos or just getting in the mood and jamming with a Blues/Jazz band. This guitar sound pretty good on its own but is great when used in cooperation with other instruments a.k.a a band. The only way for this guitar to be fully appreciated is for it to be put to the test and used in a band that is playing what this guitar was made to play. Otherwise you are merely wasting your money in my personal opinion. I have never used this guitar for recording so I can't help any of you on that category but from how it performs when not being used to record i'd say that i must be pretty good for recording. When i used this guitar, it was on a Fender amp which wasnt the greatest but never the less the guitar still perform to my excpectations. In my opinion I'd say that for this guitar to get its true sound heard that it should be played on either a Crate or Marshall meaning that you need to spend a little bit more money then you thought but if you are buying a guitar like this odds are you are not afraid of spending a little money to get what you want. Feature: I wouldn't say that the Goth Explorer has the greatest accessories but it does have some pretty good ones like for instance, it has the all black chrome gear like the groover tuning keys and the roman numerals on the 12th fret to add a certain feel to it which is kinda cool to have. I'd say that you would still need a switch pedal and either a Marshall or Crate amp to make it really perform, but that just in general. For a certain type of music you may need for gear then just a switch pedal and amp. Ease of Use: With any guitar you need have some skill to get a good sound out of a guitar and the Epiphone Goth Explorer is no exception. Although, in general, I'd say it is pretty easy to do. Quality: Qualtiy wise I'd say it is pretty good. Like it does have good tuners and stuff like that but I'd say it still needs to get some active pickups in it for it really be amazing. Value: Id say the price is pretty good. Manufacturer Support: I've never dealt with the company so I cant coment on that. The Wow Factor: Depending on what kind of music you are playing this guitar can be good. Like if you are playing Metal/Hardcore it is good because of its all black finish but other than that I'd say it really wouldnt be that great. Overall: I'd say I'd always keep this guitar but I cant say how long it would be before I got bored of it.

"if you're a metal player, what are you waiting for?????" submitted August 8, 2011

Overall
Music Style: metal, classic rock, and blues
Sound: nice set-up out of the box.stock pups sound good but this guitar needs and is getting some EMG's. not that the stock pups are bad by any means. good all around sound from clear and clean to down and dirty they do it all good. i always have (and most likely always will) liked that EMG edge. Feature: the kill switch built into the tone knob is fun to play with. the only accessory that came with mine is a black and white epi sticker lol. Quality: it seems to be really well built i don't see having any problems anytime soon. Manufacturer Support: the best customer service are the ones you never have to call. Overall: overall a great guitar for the money. other than new pups and strap locks, i wouldn't change anything about this explorer. the shipping was a slight disappointment. although technically it did get to me on time it took 2 days longer than it should have. but hey it was free so no crying here.

"this guitar said"Without me it's just aweso" submitted December 16, 2007

By a customer from setel.com
Musical Background: lead guitarest
Music Style: death"slayer"metal
Sound: this has a nice crunchy toon. and on distortion i have a boss mega distortion and it sounded like anthrax sound. Feature: People gripe about pickups THEY'RE FINE Ease of Use: its really easy to get graet sound from this product, just turn the knob to 12 and start shredding. Quality: im about half gothic as it is and when im on stage wearing as many black things as posible it suites me.you could drop this thing a thousand times it still plays ok Value: this product is a hell of a lot better than the other explorers Manufacturer Support: nope The Wow Factor: I wanted it the first day I ever saw it Overall: its a death metal made guitar.the guitar gods are still watching over this one

"METAL UP YOUR ASS!!!!!!" submitted August 20, 2004

Music Style: METAL
Sound: The sound is f***ing perfect for metal but it aint the best for a nice clean tone. still its bowel rumblingly good when distorted. Feature: the knobs can be a little hard to work with but apart from that its fine. Quality: My kneck humbucker can be a bit of a b*****d at times and cut out and i do worry about the strap pin but i couuld use this no problem gigging i trust it with my life (if not my life then the 350 quid i invested into it) oh and its best to redo the action cause it sucked ass. Value: hell yeah. its the best guitar you can get for the price Manufacturer Support: i havnt had to take it to get anything done so it gets a 5 The Wow Factor: if you are a metallica fan and a hetfeild wannabe like me then this guitar is perfect and you can get a reeeeal good "puppets" tone with it. Overall: the guitar is perfect with only a few probs so this guitar is like god (i mean cmon he wasnt perfect either)

"Perfection for under $500? yes!" submitted February 2, 2007

Musical Background: Recording Artist
Music Style: Metal, blues, rock, oh yea and METAL!
Sound: When i first got the guitar i hadent been playing long enough to be able to tell, but now after 5 years or so of owner ship i can say that i got lucky as hell. far surpasses my jacksons. this is the only guitar i use to record as long as i dont intend on using a floyd. Perfectly evil dark tone matches the look of the guitar. sounds like the tone satan would get it he played guitar. but its not just heavy. the 2 tone knobs let this guitar become a very versitile instrument. Feature: nice responsive pickups, the guitar is very light especialy compaired to other gibson/epiphone explorers. id say its about as light as my king v. Ease of Use: SMoooooth graphite coated neck with low action make this instrument a speed demon with plenty of sustaine coming from the body. perfectly balanced. although every guitar will require getting used too (this one being no exception). once you know how to pet this cat it will roar like a lion. Quality: the one issue i have with the quality is the pickup switch very rarely cuts out when going from the neck to the bridge giving it a really thin sound and practically eating all my distortion. somtimes i like it though cause then i can turn up the gain all the way on my mt2 and ill sound just like daimond head.:P Value: i cherrish this guitar. worth alot more then the $400 i payed for it when it just came out. it stands up to gibson explorers in every feature and beats them in a few (feel, weight and sustain) ill never let this thing go for any price. im getting buried with it. (the casket might need to be shaped funny though) Manufacturer Support: the only time i had to deal with these guys was i lost the warrenty card . they send me a new one. easy to talk to. not jerks at all. The Wow Factor: this is my work horse. it never fails me. sure my RR3 might have lower action and a floyd. my valley arts custom may have duncan humbuckers, and there are like 10000 orther guitars that have features this one dosent. but this thing always comes through for me. its at least 4 years old, completly stock, and it still sends a chill down my spine every time i pick it up. especially if ive negletcted to play it for a period of time. theres never any kind of sound i can think of that i cant get out of it with just twisting the knobs. there has never been a time when i have gigged that i didnt have it ready to pick me up off the ground if one of my other guitars just crapped out on me. Overall: it is as close to perfection as you can get without going custom shop. the guitar was obviously made to have metal music played on it. just look at it, black on black with black. but it sounds right at home with any style of music. so if you need what i just described (and i dont see why anyone wouldent) but this baby. ive had it in my lap this whole time ive been writing this, just to try and be as precise about it as possible.

"This guitar is amazing u should give it a chance it would shock u how good it is!" submitted January 31, 2010

By a customer from live.no
Musical Background: Active metall artist
Music Style: Metall
Sound: The sound is exellent and the quality is perfect. It's the best respond i ever have heard.This product is a high quality . This is the Real HEAVY METALL guitar!!!!. The sound is like a eagle (Beautiful). The sound in recording is amazing!!. If u got a Roland 15x with the Epiphone explorer goth is this word the right one : ROCK 'N ROLL!! Feature: 1. Strings 2. Guitar 3. Play and enjoy! Ease of Use: It must be tuned 1 time in a month!!! Quality: It's like tutch a bird (Best in the world). If something break ( you should be good if u destroyd this guitar) u just send it on reperation. Nothing is ''worst'' with this guitar! Value: The price is beautiful!!! Explorer goth €piphone = 400$ Gibson explorer = 2000$ Manufacturer Support: Epiphone is a real compani!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Wow Factor: WTF have the guitar with sex about?! Overall: 3 years or if u gonna collect the Flying V,SG,Les paul and Ax-50 so ...

"Its a entry level guitar..." submitted July 7, 2009

By a customer from aim.com
Music Style: Rock, Metal
Sound: Has a dirty muddy sound. I don't play anything but heavy metal on this guitar because it ONLY sounds good on distortion. Horrible sustain... I mean HORRIBLE! Feature: For a 400$ guitar you can't expect much more than the basic 22 frets and no whammy bar. Ease of Use: This guitar is unbalanced. When I stand up with it the neck sinks down. Its really hard to play live Quality: Besides the fact that its unbalanced, this guitar is solid. When I bought it, it had no flaws, and after much abuse it still is like new Value: You CANNOT do better for only 400$ Ive played many low level guitars and simply put, they don't make genuinely good guitars for 400$ Manufacturer Support: Havnt dealt with them The Wow Factor: People love the way this guitar looks. I always get compliments. Overall: Honestly this guitar can only play heavy metal, especially with stock pickups. After researching, this guitar basically has no name generic humbuckers. The only thing really good about this guitar is that it has a nice neck(IT DOESNT HAVE AN EBONY FRETBOARD!!!) And it looks cool. Does not play well live, or sound good.

"Pretty kickass guitar" submitted October 3, 2008

Musical Background: Play In 2 bands
Music Style: Metal, Rock, Depression, Punk, Classic
Sound: I loved the soung but it doesnt beat my schecter with invadors...i would use it for metal Feature: I would like a white pickguard on it and a 777 instead of XII Ease of Use: doesnt beat my schecter Quality: I cant tell the wood but it was a pretty badass guitar Value: nah it should be $299.99 Manufacturer Support: Epiphone, Schecter, Gibson, Fender, Johnson, Squier...they are all the same...hard to reach...but good if you do The Wow Factor: Yeah but id say you would look like metallica on stage but eh too dark Overall: Ill get this then a synyster then a zacky vengence custom and be done

"epiphone goth explorer" submitted February 18, 2014

By mike eagle in barto, PA
Overall
Musical Background: been playing for alot of years, play guitar, an drums, played in a classic rock band,now jam at home.
Music Style: Blues, rock,an metal
Overall: Exelent product ,I have a few epi's, an they are great.

"epiphone goth explorer" submitted February 18, 2014

By mike eagle in barto, PA
Music Style: Blues, rock,an metal
Overall: Exelent product ,I have a few epi's, an they are great.

"EXPLORER" submitted October 6, 2008

Musical Background: Bassist
Sound: It sounds perfect to my taste of rock. Feature: It doesn't have any special features, but its awesome. Ease of Use: Its easy to use and its sound is kick-butt. Quality: Its built well, you could smash it and it could still play. Value: Its worth the price, but it should come with an amplifier. Manufacturer Support: I haven't had problems. The Wow Factor: Ive loved it since I first saw it. Overall: I'll use it for years until I'm old.

"It ROCKS HARD!!!!!!" submitted October 5, 2008

Overall
Sound: ive heard it and its awesome!!!!! Feature: it doesn't have special features, a whammy bar would be nice Ease of Use: it is easy to get great sound Quality: it is built very well Value: it should cost 200.00 Manufacturer Support: i havent had problems yet The Wow Factor: ive always wanted an x-plorer Overall: it'll be something ill keep for years then give to my grandchildren, when that happens

"Greatest Guitar Ever!!!!!" submitted October 5, 2008

Musical Background: Guitarist
Music Style: Metal Rock,Classic Rock
Sound: It sounds like metal rock. Feature: It has no features, but a whammy bar would be sweet Ease of Use: It'll be the first guitar i'll buy Quality: It's built well,you could smash it and it'd still be soundin nice. Value: 399.99 is alot, but its well worth it. Manufacturer Support: No problems The Wow Factor: I'd sell my card collection for it. Its so awesome!!!! Overall: Im satisfied with it

When you call, mention priority code 157N-YG7K. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976