When you call, mention priority code 15ZB-JSSD

Rating and Reviews: Epiphone G400 PRO Guitar

Inspired by Gibson SGs of the late '60s, the affordable G-400 PRO boasts a solid mahogany body, rosewood fretboard, and coil-tappable Alnico Pro pickups.

"Can't be beat" submitted January 5, 2013

By John F in Peebles, OH
Overall
Musical Background: I'm what you would call want to be great but don't put in the time but when I play it feels great like an escape.
Music Style: I love Heavy Metal but for some reason play country.
Overall: This guitar is unreal for the money I thought I wont get a great guitar but boy was I wrong If you want an SG PRO look no further. I would put it up against any other SG wanabe makers out there. It is as good as a Gibson I promise you.

"Epiphone G400 PRO in Heritage Cherry" submitted August 12, 2012

By Jake H
Musical Background: Playing since my early teens
Music Style: Country, Rock, Metal, Jazz, Funk, Blues, Classical, Whatever I can "fake" my way through.
Sound: Great versatility- The coil tap option is awesome! I can get the sound I want with just a few quick adjustments- I leave the toggle switch in the middle position, adjust the bridge and neck pickup volumes and tone, determine how many coils I want active on which pickups- and there you have it-- The only other guitar I have that is that versatile is my Gibson Les Paul Signature, even my Fender Strats don't some close. If you just want to have one guitar you know can grab real quick to fill in for a friends band, or play an open mic - this is the one! Feature: Coil tapping! The volume and tone pots have a great range also! I did, as I always do with any guitar I buy, change the strings right away to Fender Pure Nickle strings- and checked the intonation-- Not too bad- the E-A-D's were dead on the G-B-E were a bit sharp and I had to adjust for that-- still not a big deal Ease of Use: Very easy to play! This is the most balanced SG I have ever held- I have a G400 as well and it tends to be a little neck heavy- but NOT this one! The neck is still a lot thicker than the body, but it balances out nicely. Quality: Seems to be made pretty well- Sturdy- I feel the hardware is made of great components. There is always some talk about the hardware, finish,woods, plastics, wiring - etc. of US made guitars being higher quality than Foreign made guitars- I have never had this issue with Epiphones. Value: Very much worth it- My G400 was $100 less than this G400 PRO- the extra $100 I paid for the PRO- WORTH IT!! Manufacturer Support: Had no issues-- Ordered via the internet on a Thursday night- guitar arrived Saturday by 5- They are located in NJ and I am in MD, so that is probably the biggest factor! The Wow Factor: I love the look, feel and playability of this guitar- add the coil tapping- WOW!-- Overall: Great value- Great sound- Great features- Great Components- Great Quality- Good seller!The coil tap option is awesome! I can get the sound I want with just a few quick adjustments- I leave the toggle switch in the middle position, adjust the bridge and neck pickup volumes and tone, determine how many coils I want active on which pickups- and there you have it-- The only other guitar I have that is that versatile is my Gibson Les Paul Signature, even my Fender Strats don't some close. If you just want to have one guitar you know can grab real quick to fill in for a friends band, or play an open mic - this is the one!Coil tapping! The volume and tone pots have a great rang! I did, as I always do with any guitar I buy, change the strings right away to Fender Pure Nickle strings- and checked the intonation-- Not too bad- the E-A-D's were dead on the G-B-E were a bit sharp and I had to adjust for that.This guitar is very easy to play! This is the most balanced SG I have ever held- I have a G400 as well and it tends to be a little neck heavy- but NOT this one! The neck is still a lot thicker than the body, but it balances out nicely.Seems to be made pretty well- Sturdy- I feel the hardware is made of great components. There is always some talk about the hardware, finish,woods, plastics, wiring - etc. of US made guitars being higher quality than Foreign made guitars- I have never had this issue with Epiphones.Great classic styling in a new guitar!
29 of 30 people (96.67%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Newphew can't put it down!" submitted August 29, 2013

By Jan S in Ok. City, OK
Overall
Musical Background: been playing for about 5 years. Not a beginner and improving gradually
Overall: I bought the new G400 Pro for my nephew who is a beginner! Cherry Red and beautiful! It is noticeably lighter weight and better ballanced than previous Epiphone G400s which is very nice. My nephew just plays and plays this guitar with a MIni Fender amp and is just loving it. Ephipone is obviously concerned about quality . For $349.00 you will not find a better guitar! I bought this guitar with the Epiphone SG case which I believe is very good deal at $79.00. Zzounds is a great place to purchace any guitar with an endless selection.

"Free at last!" submitted July 5, 2013

By john benson in st. joseph, MO
Overall
Musical Background: 45years,guitar,B3,Hofner/Framus Basses-Retired pro...Otis Redding,Johnny Taylor,Delbert McClinton
Music Style: Blues,R,B,RR,
Overall: After a virtual lifetime of Fender products,finally a product in my arsenal,that sets the the clock back with style,and kick rectum tone.No more sending Leo Fenders' offspring to college.If you're sick of bolt on neck nostalgia,because you think you're gonna be the next Jeff Beck,Hendrix,or Robin Trower,FORGET IT!Get a hold of some serious slab.With the new coil tap pots,you can still get that "thin"Fender spank,but have a glued in neck,stays in tune,straight necked tone king.Together with my Prophesy GX,this is double trouble.The SG has about as close out of the box tone,as Jeff Becks non tune o matic oxblood LP,he used on "Blow by Blow"The secret is in tweeking the tone pots,,,almost vocal harmonics,especially thru a 50watt plexi,or Vibro.Tip:Early amps AC30s,Fenders,etc.,didn't have midrange knobs(controls)if you want authentic 60s-70s tone ,cut your mids out completely.Also,for sixtys tone the treble response was almost always at"10",bass at about "6",then roll back the treble just enough to cut the squeal.Jeff Beck rolled his Super Beatles bass down to "3"!Try the SG.

"Very very nice!" submitted January 22, 2014

By Jason Robinson in Fairfield, IL
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing guitar for 21 years. Semi professional.
Music Style: All kinds
Overall: The guitar is worth every penny and then some. Well built sounds great, plays great. There is nothing more I could have hoped for with this guitar. Zzounds has earned my future business... Just a spectacular job, great instrument! Thank you!

"You will not belive it !" submitted October 23, 2013

By luke g in austin, TX
Overall
Musical Background: playing off and on since i was 12, i jam at home and tech my kids
Music Style: country,rock, metal
Sound: lots of sustain Feature: coil taps Ease of Use: user freindly Quality: i found no flaws Value: super value priced Manufacturer Support: no problems so far The Wow Factor: the heritage cherry is out of this world Overall: no flaws looks and plays great!

"ZZounds selling used guitars now????" submitted March 13, 2014

By J.Douglas A in Janesville, WI
Musical Background: Guitars 25 years
Music Style: I play Many Different Styles of Music
Overall: Received guitar..opened package..first thing I noticed is how dirty it was. 2cd thing I noticed is one of the adjustment screws for the bridge pickup was stripped and one side of it was sitting in the cavity. 3rd, minor scratches all over the guitar. 4th, neck was faded to a near white in different spots across the length of the neck. I took some pics and called support. I was told that I would have to return the guitar, and once they received it they would ship a new one out, so that would put delay things another 2 weeks appx. I feel like I bought a used guitar with problems at full price. I boxed it up and was going to send it back. I ended saying screw it because I had waited quite awhile wanting this guitar before ordering, and figured I would at least see how it plays/sounds before returning it to see if I would even want another. Once I cleaned it up, guitar looks nice. I really don't care for the neck.It is HUGE!!!! I really like the U shaped neck on my Fender 70's strat, but this feels like a baseball bat. It really contradicts what a SG is all about...sleekness, this neck is really chunky and to me dosen't balance well with the guitar. Pickups werent horrible, but not great either. I will be replacing them with an Gibson Angus Sig and a Classic 57. Tuners are ok,..some seem to evenly adjust the string,..some seem very loose,will see what happens when I change the strings. Overall for $350,..pretty decent guitar, I would have been very happy with had it not come in the condition it did.

"SG Pro" submitted March 6, 2013

By Jeffrey K in Hampstead, NC
Musical Background: I am a Hobby Player and have played 45 years
Music Style: I like Blues, Rock and Jazz
Overall: Had to set it up out of the box but it was a easy setup. I especially like the coil split feature, really adds to the possibilities when shaping a tone or sound. I never owned a SG before this one so I couldn't compare it to another, but I can say I don't think this one will disappoint me enough to continue searching. Its everything I wanted with the lighter weight along with that distinctive SG sound. It is a bit neck heavy but I have already adjusted to it, I may later on add a Bigsby which I am sure will level out the weight distribution. The quality of the instrument seems solid , the hardware appears to be of a good grade, the finish is excellant. I have had no issues so I don't know if I should rate the Manufacturer support.

"Fantastic Axe" submitted October 18, 2012

By Jeff F in Columbus, OH
Overall
Musical Background: Have played for the drums forever. Just pickup the guitar this year.
Music Style: Play mostly 70's rock. i.e. Skynryd, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Clapton, Eagles and Allman Brothers to name a few. You know the good stu
Overall: Wow. This thing is beautiful. I bought the Cherry red version. (but then is there any other color for an SG?) Setup was perfect. Neck is very comfortable and the Wilkinson tuners are definatley much lighter than the Grover's. Has the exact tone I was looking for.Compliments the others in my arsenal:2012 Epiphone Les Paul Standard with BCS vintage wiring with Bourne pots and a pair of Gibson 57 Classics2011 Washburn WINDLX with Seymour Duncans2011 Washburn WD10SCE Acoustic

When you call, mention priority code 15ZB-JSSD. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976