When you call, mention priority code 171G-F71R

Rating and Reviews: CAD M179 Condenser Mic

Capture deeper levels of sound detail with the M179's variable polar pattern settings and highly sensitive dual diaphragm design.

Overall

"Compared to the AKG C3000 and AT 3035, not bad. Not bad at all!" submitted March 28, 2005

Musical Background: Studio Foo, guitar player
Music Style: I like a little bit of everything. But not too much! Man some of that stuff is bad!
Sound: I find this mic to have a fairly neutral characteristic. Maybe a tad, but just a tad, on the rich side. Vocals sound full, not brassy or tinny. Presence is very good. Does drums and acoustic guitars well. The low-end roll-off works decent for eliminating pops when getting up-close. It seems to be pretty quiet, even without a special mount, which is available from the company if you need one. I give it a 9 because there are mics out there that do sound better, but not much. Feature: It included some accessories, like a hard case and a ring mount. No dust cover or spider mount. It has nice selectable patterns that work VERY well. The low end rolloff and 20 db pad also work very well. Quality: I give this mic a 10 for quality because, for its price, it just can't be beat. It is well put together, heavy, with a sturdy, stiff screen and tight XLR socket. The finish is tough and durable. I would definitely keep this one in the studio, though it appears it could handle "road" use though, if you were so inclined. But let me say this, when you got one of these in your mit, you want to take care of it. Value: Worth the price. Being a dual diaphram design, its multi-pattern selectability, sound aspect, specifications and overall quality. It rates with mics in, or well above, its price range. Manufacturer Support: Like the review I've seen here, what better support than not needing any? The Wow Factor: I like this mic. It's a little different looking than most, but hey, look at the Blue "Baby Bottle." Now there's a strange looking mic. Overall: This CAD M179 is definitely for keeps. Like other reviewers here have said, it has a permenant place in my recording studio (wherever that may be). I compared this mic to lots of others, mostly in or above its price range. It reminds me of the AKG C3000b and the Audio-Technica AT3035 in its overall sound quality. I think it actually sounds better than the AT 4050 (which costs a lot more, and the CAD has better specs to boot, with the exception of sensitivity and power requirements. The CAD wants around 8 mA, while the others only need 3 to 5). The AKG, the AT 4050 and AT3035 are a bit more sensitive, but the CAD goes far lower in frequency response. The AKG, the 4050, and the 3035, do not have dual diaphrams. All of these, mics however, are very good to excelent overall.

"Ever try to record thunder? Well, how'd it sound?" submitted October 26, 2005

By a customer from blackfoot.net
Overall
Musical Background: Are you experienced?
Music Style: Nature recording
Sound: Whoa. I say WHOA! Feature: Gimme a spider mount with the mic. I will pay extra for it. A bit of a hassle to get one seperately. Quality: High. Value: So, keep looking. Waste your time. This is where the search stops. Manufacturer Support: Right on with my question. The Wow Factor: I can dig this mic's looks. Unusual, to say the least. Overall: I got this mic strictly because it can hear down to 10 cycles. I wanted to record thunder for a particular project, and didn't have a suitable mic for that "way-low" rumble that you hear when thunder is rolling off on down the plain. Cheeze! This mic blows my mind with it's incredible ability to record a tough subject. Accurate. Sensitive. But not "too" sensitive. Know what I mean, Vern? I still don't believe how good this thing records low frequencies. And also, everything else I have asigned it. Get one. You will not be sorry.

"Don't regret not buying this mic!!!!" submitted December 28, 2005

By a customer from direcway.com
Overall
Musical Background: active musician, recording engineer
Music Style: Country, Pop, Rock
Sound: This is the best warm sounding mic for vocals I could not believe the quality Feature: I liked the dialed patterns...select the appropriate pattern for your project. Quality: I plan on buying another one of these mics they rate right up their with our $1200 mics... Value: For the price....Stop looking and grab this mic the only thing you will regret is not buying it!!! I'm buying another one.. Manufacturer Support: sure I won't need it but if I do it has a 2year warranty. The Wow Factor: Like others have said ... would be nice if it came with a spider mount but it DOES fit nicely in one supplied by my other mics.... Overall: BUY iT!!!! Don't take my word for it look at all the other reviews....You really can't go wrong.....

"So many microphones, so few cables. . ." submitted February 12, 2005

By lets keep it a secert, OK?
Musical Background: Studio and recording engine-in-my-ear
Music Style: As much style as possible
Sound: This mic reproduces sounds with very respectable accuracy. I am pleased, very pleased, with its overall sonic performance abilities. Its sensitivity is impressive. It hears tiny detail. A good choice for in house recording. In other words, it sounds great. Feature: Features a nice alluminum cary case and mount. Might should have a spider mount too. Quality: Solid. Well designed. Feels good. Oooh! Value: Why else buy one of these if it was not valuable? I mean, look at the specs. Read some reviews. See the frequency response. This mic is one hell of a deal considering its quality sound, construction, and features. Manufacturer Support: Support? Well, I think the mic stand supports it pretty good. . . just kidding. It has not broken, so no need of support. The Wow Factor: Well now. Look at this mic. Either you like it or you don't I thought it looked kind of weird, you know, but in a good way. CAD had the guts to design a mic that went a little off the beaten path, but not too far off, like certain mic companies we could name. Overall: I really like this mic. I am happy with it. I keep it under my pillow at night and. . . just kidding. I own many microphones, and they all have certain distinct uses. This one is for studio use to record ANYTHING I want! Really. It's that good.

"CAD M179 - A Completely Useful Mic." submitted January 25, 2011

Overall
Musical Background: Full Time Professional Producer, Studio Owner, Musician, Composer, Arranger, Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Engineer.
Music Style: From Symphonic Orchestras and Choirs to Rock, Pop, Gospel, Country.
Sound: Warm and clear sound. The sound quality is outstanding, especially considering the price. So far I've only used the CAD M179 on snare drum in a live setting, but using a tight cardioid helps lower Hi Hat leakage, even with some top end E.Q. It is used in tandem with CAD M37 mics on toms through an expensive Soundcraft Series 5 56 Chan Mixer and the drum sound is getting nothing but "Two Thumbs Up" from musicians and audience members alike. The snare sound is the best yet after trying three other top microphones. I plan on using it in the studio plus want to purchase another five of them for other purposes. I love the sound and the polar pattern flexibility. Feature: It came with a good quality shock mount which is very helpful. Ease of Use: It is very easy to get a great sound with this mic. Since it has a hi-pass filter plus a 20 db pad, and total control over the polar pattern this mic is as flexible as possible. Quality: Very well made. Highly recommended. I wish the threads on the screw-on base that holds the mic to it's mount need to be less coarse. It is very easy to cross thread this thing. Value: Value is really around "12". CAD makes an outstanding product at a fantastic price. Manufacturer Support: I have dealt with CAD many years ago in regards to some other CAD mics that I own and they were fantastic in taking care of my problem. I have had no issues since that time. The Wow Factor: Not much "Sex Appeal". It is just completely practical for which I give it a "12". Overall: I do not want to replace it. I want to purchase more of this particular item.

"Great Mic for a Beginner" submitted May 23, 2006

By samuel[dot]hurley[at]gmail.com
Musical Background: Amature Musician
Music Style: Alternative, Light Rock, Folk
Sound: Very flat, very neutral sound. I've used this mic on an acoustic guitar and vocals so far, and both applications have surpassed my expectations. I appled the highpass filter for the guitar, and I get a great sound with just enough low end. Nice trebles, but more importantly a good balance between highs and lows. Great op-amps, I can turn my level all the way up until I can hear a whisper... and still no hiss! Feature: I was skeptical that the variable pickup pattern would be of much use, but it really works well! In the cardiroid setting, the M179 barely picks up anything behind it (even if i clap my hands or snap my fingers). On the other hand, if it is turned to omni or figure-8 my sound gets a good presence and reverb from the room. Ease of Use: Easy to mount, easy to adjust the pickup, or the pad. Easy to set levels; picks up everything from the slightest whispers to the hardest rock. Easy to get a good position. Quality: This thing is built very well. My only disappointment is with the shockmount (mine came with one included). It helps with light bumps but I still get some noise if someone is walking on the studio floor or if anything even touches the stand. I was expecting a little better isolation. Otherwise, this seems like a solid mic. The carry case is a nice plus too. Value: I'm really glad I got this mic. I was thinking about getting a $100 cheapo model the guy at the local Guitar Center was trying to push on me, since I'm new to 'home studio' recording, but I'm very glad I spent a little extra money, because what I've been getting is very near professional quality from this mic, and at an amazing price! Manufacturer Support: I have not contacted CAD with any concerns at this time. The Wow Factor: Whats not to like about this side-address condenser. It looks beautiful with a shockmount and pop filter, just begging to be sang to. I think this mic has classic styling, yet brings forward great versitility and new techologies that can't be beat at this price. Overall: Obviously there are 'professional' mics that sound better. That are flatter. That are better at their specific application. But for an all-around, versitiale, and affordable mic, the CAD M179 is amazing. Its features are great because they really work well, there is no hiss or noise, it works for very quiet, delicate sounds as well as for high volume applications. This mic is a great way for anyone with a little ambition and $200 to get a professional sounding recording.
10 of 11 people (90.91%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"This Cad is Rad" submitted January 17, 2005

Musical Background: Home Recorder
Music Style: Indie Exoperimental Acoustic
Sound: Gives excellent rich sound quality. I use it for recording just about anything and everything in my home studio and it does the job well. Feature: Great features for price including adjustable polar patterns, 20 dB pad switch, and an 80 Hz high-pass filter. Quality: Built like a tank, very sturdy, all moving parts feel smooth and work well. Value: Excellent condensor mic for the price. I have the KSM27 which is 100$ more and use this one for more applications and enjoy the rich low end on this more so than the ksm. Manufacturer Support: Haven't had any problems so I'd say that's the best support there is. The Wow Factor: Personally I wouldn't give it a ten because it isn't the sharpest looking thing but I dont want to bring down the rating by looks. Overall: Overall I have been very pleased with what I've paid for.

"Try it, you'll like it!" submitted March 1, 2005

By a customer from vital.com
Musical Background: Music recording specialist and occassional musician
Music Style: Fusion Jazz, heavy on the fuse
Sound: Very neutral coloring. Very clean response. Can handle high SPL. Drums, no problem. I normally use at least three mics for recording drums. With the CAD, believe it or not, I get amazing results with just one mic turned sideways and placed overhead. I can't even believe it! Feature: Be nice if it came with a gigantor turantula mount. But it seems well isolated by its own internal shock mount. Helps too if it is standing on a solid concrete floor. Quality: Rating a microphone for quality is difficult, unless it is a pile of junk. Most mid to high- end mics are quality, and this one is no exception. Sturdy. Heavy. Stylin'. I am happy with it. If I could sing (which I can't) I would sound good to this mic. Value: Being as how I also own AKG and Sennheiser mics (all of which cost more than this one) and have occassion to use certain Neumann mics, I have a fair knowledge of microphone personalities and capabilities. The CAD 179 is a sure bet for anyone wanting a very respectable sounding microphone and doesn't want to spend thousands to get one. This mic rates high with me on several points: Sound. Sensitivity. Optional patterns. High and lo end cuttoffs. Looks. Price. Value (compared to at least one of my other spendy microphones), I dare say this one is equal to or better than my AKG costing three times more. The main difference is in the phantom power range, while the CAD can go way down in the frequency response. Manufacturer Support: CAD was prompt and efficient with my phone call to ask a few questions about accessories. The Wow Factor: I find the "fonky" looks less intimidating than some mics. More than a few of my clients think so too. It has a soothing appearence and therefore, the talent is more comfortable with it in their face. Overall: I must admit, I find myself using this mic more than most of the others I own. I can't say exactly why that is, maybe there is just something special about it that I can't put my finger on. It does sound great, and true to reality. Maybe it's the dual capsules. I'm not sure. Anyway, you won't be dissapointed with this one. Even if it cost three times as much, I would still be happy with it.

"Versatile Value" submitted March 5, 2006

Overall
Musical Background: Do it for a living -live sound, live/studio recording, corporate AV, guitar/bass player
Music Style: Alternative, Punk, Power Pop
Sound: I own a pair and they sound very good for the money. Make sure you are supplying enough phantom power amperege. These mics require almost double the power required by most other mics. Minimum Requirements are 24, 48 Volt Phantom Power capable of delivering at least 8 mA. Many budget mic pre's don't put out that kind of juice. An external phantom supply might be wise -Rolls and Stewart make nice ones for reasonable money. Feature: 80Hz Hi-passs filter, -20 dB pad, infintely variable pattern control. Ease of Use: I have used this mic on vocals (M&F), acoustic gtr, gtr amp, drum kit/kick drum. Always get something useable. Quality: Well built. Reliable. Comes in nice case. Value: Great Value. I purchased them from another online store for the same price with the shockmount included. Manufacturer Support: Haven't has to contact them. The Wow Factor: For the dough, can't beat the value. Overall: I'm satisfied.

"BEST TOM MIC ON THE MARKET, great on everything else too" submitted April 10, 2011

Musical Background: Active Musician, Recording/Live Engineer
Music Style: Jazz, R&B, Rock, Gospel
Sound: Awesome, awesome, awesome on toms in hypercardioid. I tried it on the kick, I can't claim it's the best on the market (it may be, just don't know), but I can say that I get more low end than with my Shure Beta52. I have 3 of the M179's, and I'll be getting 3 more soon (kick, overheads). Anyway, seems to be very full-sounding and clear on any source, but hands down THE BEST TOM MIC ON THE MARKET. PERIOD. Feature: Selectable polar pattern is great! Use hypercardiod for drums or amps. Maybe cardioid, figure eight, or omni for drum overheads, choirs, or room mics...maybe hyper for vocals... Also, there's a pad for super-loud sources, and high pass if u want to reject some of the low end. Value: BEST TOM MIC ON THE MARKET, better than the industry standard, which costs over twice the amount. The Wow Factor: Very sexy lol

"Cad M179" submitted April 27, 2014

By arthur rodriguez in dallas, TX
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing music for over 30 yrs and have a studio in my home.
Music Style: Rock, jazz, blues, country and much more.
Overall: After reading numerous reviews on the Cad M179 I decided to purchase a few to use as drum overheads. They sound awsome! I also use them for recording guitars in stereo and the sound is so rich and clean. I own about 20 mics and the M179 is definitely my go to mic for just about everything. I will be purchasing a few more very soon.

"Question: Would you want more than one of these mics? Answer: Yes." submitted April 16, 2005

By a customer from mindspring.com
Overall
Musical Background: Small recording studio owner, drummer, guitarist, keyboardist, vocalist, composer. Enough?
Music Style: All styles except rap and country. Sorry, I don't have such required talent.
Sound: I'm impressed alright. Feature: I'm impressed here. Quality: Way impressive. Value: Outa-sight impressive value here. Manufacturer Support: Totally impressive. The Wow Factor: Give me another two or three of these. Overall: OK. So enough of the short descriptives. What do you want from a mic? Sensitivity? Accuracy? Quality? Sound particulars? That's the question. This mic has all of the above when compared to even way more expensive ones. All one can do is hear others' oppinions and go blindly forth. Or maybe actually demo mics. But most of us don't have such an opportunity. Lots of "big deal/big time studio operators" just naturally want to spend thousands for a microphone. Not necessary these days. Even if you got huge bucks, you can still buy a high-quality mic for a couple hundred, if you don't mind the "social embaressment" of having something less expensive. This mic suits my needs perfectly. I am proud to display it (along with my other spendy mics) in my small studio environment. It has very, very good averall sound and quality. It's kind of hard to describe( with any accuracy) how a mic sounds. Like speakers. Or wine. Let's not kid around here, it's a trial and re-trial situation. All said, this is a truly well worth the money microphone. I intend to buy three more. I am completely satisfied, and my expectations have been realized with this microphone.

"If you need one great mic that's affordable - get this one" submitted July 16, 2005

Musical Background: Former recording engineer and active bass guitarist
Music Style: Modern Jazz, electronic techno, ambient, world, alternative etc
Feature: Vast array of polar patterns to choose from, bass roll-off that works, and a -20dB pad for high SPL work. I'll forgive the fact a spider support is not included. Get one. Quality: Heavy. Feels solid. Built like a British Challenger tank. Except it's a bit smaller. And less lethal. You're not a target for 'friendly fire' either. Value: Worth it? I'm going to get another one... Paid about

"Don't expect too much" submitted September 2, 2012

By Stephen B
Musical Background: Guitar, vox, piano
Music Style: Pop, rock, punk, classical
Overall: Its not a perfect mic. Even when using a nice pop filter it was rather sibilant on vocals, and the knobs and build feels cheap yet heavy. If you just want a microphone for acoustic guitar this may work out for you. It's very quiet. But I was around a foot away from the mic with a pop filter about mid way and it was sizzling and cracking on s's and p's. Also, the shock mount it comes with will not fit on a regular mic stand. It's for desktop mic stands only.

When you call, mention priority code 171G-F71R. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976