The Martin HD28 is an upgraded version of the world-famous D28 acoustic guitar, with distinctive features for players seeking a unique instrument. First and foremost, you'll hear how the scalloped carve-out pattern on the internal bracing gives the HD28 a sound of its own. Beyond that, you'll appreciate a few subtle aesthetic details that give the HD28 a refined visual appeal.
Starting with Unbeatable Tonewoods
The Martin HD-28 is made with a North American Sitka spruce top. This tonewood imbues the instrument with the complex and rich tonal "snap" that have always made Martins some of the greatest acoustic guitars of all time. The top is matched with East Indian rosewood sides and back. These gorgeous woods are accented with a handsome and distinguished herringbone inlay around the HD-28's entire top, set against a white boltaron binding.
Classic Dreadnought Shape
The select hardwood neck on the HD-28 is carved to a 25.4-inch scale length with a 16-inch radius, and is set with 20 stainless steel frets. There is no cutaway, and fret access is clear up through the 14th fret. The fingerboard is made from solid black ebony and set with shiny "style 28" position inlays on six frets.
Scalloped Bracing Design on the Inside
The HD-28's top is reinforced with Standard "X" style scalloped bracing. Scalloping means that the top is able to vibrate more than a top with a traditional X-brace, giving you more overall volume and bass response. Some would describe the sound of a scalloped bracing as offering an overall wider tonal range, rather than a traditional bracing that offers a tighter, narrower tone.
Subtle Aesthetic Touches on the Outside
Along with the herringbone binding, a black-on-white rosette and a zig-zag back inlay strip complete the distinctive aesthetic profile of this Martin dreadnought. The tortoise pickguard perfectly matches the rosewood sides and gloss-finish spruce top. A set of chrome-enclosed tuning machines with large buttons keeps perfect intonation and string lie.
- Solid Sitka Spruce Top
- Black and White Rosette
- Tortoise Color Pickguard
- Scalloped 5/16-inch X-Bracing
- Solid Rosewood Sides
- 2-piece Rosewood Back
- Zig Zag Back Inlay Strip
- Ebony Fingerboard and Bridge
- White Herringbone Binding
- 1-11/16 Inches Wide at Nut
- 25.4-inch Scale Length
- 20 Frets with Clear Access Through 14th
zZounds is an authorized dealer of
- Model: HD-28
- Body Size: D-14 Fret
- Top: Solid Sitka Spruce
- Style 28
- Top Bracing Pattern: Standard "X" Scalloped
- Top Braces: Solid Sitka Spruce 5/16"
- Back Material: Solid East Indian Rosewood
- Back Purfling: HD Zig-Zag
- Side Material: Solid East Indian Rosewood
- Endpiece: White Boltaron
- Endpiece Inlay: Black/White Boltaron
- Binding: White Boltaron
- Top Inlay Style: Bold Herringbone
- Back Inlay: Black/White Boltaron
- Neck Material: Select Hardwood
- Neck Shape: Low Profile
- Nut Material: Bone
- Headstock: Solid/Diamond/Square Taper
- Headplate: Solid East Indian Rosewood /Raised Gold Foil
- Heelcap: White Boltaron
- Fingerboard Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Scale Length: 25.4"
- Number of Frets Clear: 14
- Number of Frets Total: 20
- Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1-11/16"
- Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2-1/8"
- Finish Back & Sides: Polished Gloss
- Finish Top: Polished Gloss
- Finish Neck: Satin
- Bridge Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Bridge Style: Belly
- Bridge String Spacing: 2-1/8"
- Saddle: 16" Radius/Compensated/Bone
- Tuning Machines: Chrome Enclosed w/ Large Buttons
- Bridge & End Pins: White w/ Black Dots
- Pickguard: Tortoise Color
- Case: 640 Molded
- Dimensions and Weight in Packaging
- Shipping Weight: 22 lbs