The Martin CS-OM-13 Custom Shop Acoustic Guitar with Case features a top of high-altitude spruce, harvested in winter months to produce a lighter-weight wood with better stiffness, and a tight and even grain. The back and sides are Madagascar rosewood, and the fingerboard is inlaid with pearl scalloped diamonds and red spiny reconstituted stone with a mother of pearl border. Constructed using hide glue, these guitars will only be constructed during the year 2013, and limited to 80 instruments.
Martin's annual Custom Shop editions have exhibited the very best of what a Martin guitar can be. This offering -- the Martin CS-OM-13 Custom Shop Acoustic Guitar with Case -- Martin has acquired some beautiful and rare high altitude Swiss spruce for the top material. This wood is cut in the traditional European violin makers' method of fallen trees in the winter months before a new moon. Swiss spruce is light in color and weight, but stiff and close grained lending itself to incredible responsiveness. Traditionally prized Adirondack spruce is used for the cross braces as a means of providing that 'vintage Martin complexity' to the instrument, while Sitka spruce is chosen as tone bar material to soften the aural edges. Tradition is further challenged with addition of a Madagascar rosewood bridge plate. The entire instrument is handcrafted in the C. F. Martin Custom Shop using hot hide glue. The back and sides are premium Madagascar rosewood bound with rose-colored African bubinga. The solid 12/4 mahogany neck sports a two-way adjustable trussrod, a Bubinga bound ebony fingerboard, a special custom inlay pattern, premium Waverly tuning machines with snakewood knobs, and a Madagascar rosewood headplate (also bound in Bubinga) with a silver old-style logo. Martin believes they have created a truly inspiring and versatile instrument for the serious player.
Most instruments today generally stick with the standard format of single species top and bracing combinations. (Adirondack top, Adirondack braces, Sitka spruce top, Sitka braces, etc.) If a top species other than Adirondack or Sitka spruce is used, it is generally paired with Sitka braces. The thinking behind the CS-OM-13 started with the idea of blending various spruce materials in the bracing in top construction to create a new tonal palette. Much like how winemakers blend various grapes to create great wine, we believe various spruce-top and bracing materials can be used to blend the tonal characteristics of each species into an inspiring and exciting sound.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of
- Model: CS-OM-13
- Construction: Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint - Hide Glue Construction
- Body Size: 000-14 Fret
- Top: High Altitude Swiss Spruce
- Rosette Style: 28
- Top Bracing Pattern: Standard "X" Scalloped
- Top Braces: Solid Adirondack Spruce 5/16" /Golden Era
- Back Material: Solid Madagascar Rosewood
- Back Purfling: Style 18
- Side Material: Solid Madagascar Rosewood
- Endpiece: Quilted Bubinga
- Endpiece Inlay: Black/Maple/Black Fiber
- Binding Quilted: Bubinga
- Top Inlay Style: Multiple Black/Maple Fiber
- Back Inlay: Black/Maple/Black Fiber
- Neck Material: Select Hardwood
- Neck Shape: CS Profile #1
- Nut Material: Bone
- Headstock: Solid/Square Taper
- Headplate: Solid Madagascar Rosewood
- Heelcap: Quilted Bubinga
- Fingerboard Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Scale Length: 25.4"
- # Of Frets Clear: 14
- # Of Frets Total: 20
- Fingerboard Width At Nut: 1-3/4"
- Fingerboard Width At 12th Fret: 2-1/4"
- Fingerboard Position Inlays: Pearl Scalloped Diamonds, Red Spiny Recon Stone w/MOP Border
- Fingerboard Binding: Quilted Bubinga
- Finish Back & Sides: Polished Gloss
- Finish Top: Polished Gloss
- Finish Neck: Satin
- Bridge Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Bridge Style: 1930 Style Belly w/Drop In Saddle
- Bridge String Spacing: 2-1/4"
- Saddle: 16" Radius/Long Bone/Drop-In
- Tuning Machines: Waverly Nickel w/Snakewood Knobs
- Recommended Strings: Martin SP Lifespan Phosphor Bronze Light Gauge (MSP7100)
- Bridge & End Pins: Black w/White Dots
- Pickguard: Delmar Tortoise Color
- Case: Silver Hardshell OM-14F Silver Custom Case
- Dimensions and Weight in Packaging
- Shipping Weight: 24 lbs