Martin 00-42SC John Mayer CustomThe Martin 00-42SC John Mayer Custom Signature acoustic guitar embodies the rich tonality of a 00-style 12-fret design with solid cocobolo sides, back and headplate, and a solid sitka spruce top. Built in collaboration with John Mayer, the 00-42SC features gorgeous 42-style appointments. The "SC" stands for stagecoach, harkening back to an era when guitars were taken on trains, wagons, and horses for bringing people together in song. The interior label is signed by John himself.
The Martin 00-42SC John Mayer Custom Signature Edition, in both looks and sound, is spectacular. Like its older sibling, the 00-42SC John Mayer Custom Signature Edition features the unique, extraordinary Style 45+ blue Paua pearl top inlay, including inlays along the fingerboard extension that extend seamlessly into mitered joins at the rosette, which in turn completes a full 360* arch across the fingerboard below the 18th fret. 10 Blue Paua pearl also is showcased on the "C. F. Martin" block letter headplate inlay and on the Golden Era Style 42 custom snowflake fingerboard inlay.
The solid tonewoods are equally sumptuous. Like the original Stagecoach Edition, the back and sides of the 00-42SC John Mayer Custom Signature Edition are beautiful, dense cocobolo, renowned for its complex bass, generous mid-range, clear trebles, and uncommon power and sustain. The scalloped-braced premium grade Sitka spruce top -- the "best of the best" from Martin's tonewood stockpile -- provides warm, direct tone and quick response. The combination gives this guitar a big, articulate voice ideal for fingerstyle playing and nearly as impressive flatpicked.
The 1-7/8-inch (at the nut) Modified V neck with square slotted headstock and diamond volute is carved from genuine mahogany and accented by a cocobolo headplate. Both the fingerboard and traditional pyramid bridge are black ebony. Other appointments are classic and elegant. Fine black/maple/black wood fiber purfling accent the back, sides, endpiece and heel cap. Grained ivoroid body, neck, and headstock binding define a motif continued in the grained ivoroid endpiece, and heelcap. The back is bisected by colorful Style 45 purfling highlighted with thick black fiber borders. Blue Paua dot inlays accent the bridge pins and end pin, and serve as neck binding position markers. A bone nut, compensated drop-in bone saddle, engraved Waverly brass tuners with ivoroid knobs and a teardrop faux-tortoise Delmar pickguard enhance the vintage-inspired tone and style. Polished gloss lacquer finish protects the guitar and lets its beauty shine.
Each 00-42SC John Mayer Custom Signature Edition bears an internal label that is personally signed by John Mayer. The guitar is delivered in an embroidered Custom Shop 00 12-Fret hardshell case with silver hardware and satin embroidered top overlay.
As for the Martin 00-45SC John Mayer Stagecoach Edition, the very limited edition of 25 guitars sold out almost instantly. Fans of John Mayer and fans of pearl-inlaid 12-fret 00 Martins -- among the company's rarest instruments -- were disappointed. Fortunately, the collaborative work of John Mayer and C. F. Martin & Co. goes back nearly a decade. The two were happy to rejoin forces to create a second "stagecoach guitar" that would be slightly less ornate - yet still premium - more affordable, and able to be produced in numbers sufficient to meet demand.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Martin products.
- MODEL: 00-42SC John Mayer Stagecoach Edition
- CONSTRUCTION: Dovetail Full Gloss
- BODY SIZE: Grand Concert 00 12-fret
- TOP: Sitka Spruce, Premium Grade
- ROSETTE: Blue Paua, Three Ring - Style 45
- Contiguous Three Ring Inlay in Blue Paua on Fingerboard Surface
- Blue Paua Inlay Along Side Edge of Fingerboard Is
- Mitered Directly Into The Rosette Ring (See Photograph)
- TOP BRACES: Sitka Spruce, Scalloped, 1/4" Width
- BACK: Cocobolo (Rosewood) - 2 Piece, Sanded to .095"
- BACK PURFLING: Style 45 Golden Era with D18 Inlay on Each Side
- CAUTION STAMP: None, "C. F. Martin & Co., Nazareth, PA"
- Laser Etched Between 1st and 2nd Back Braces
- BLOCK TO READ:
- (Laser Etched Martin Logo)
- (Custom Shop Lasered Logo)
- Serial Number
- (John Mayer Lasered Signature)
- SIDES: Cocobolo (Rosewood), Sanded to .065"
- RIBBON: Spanish Cedar
- END PIECE: Grained Ivoroid with Style 45 Blue Paua Inlay, Mitered
- BINDING: Grained Ivoroid With Style 42 Blue Paua Inlay
- Black/Maple/Black Wood Fiber Inlay
- SIDE INLAY: Style 42 with .042 Black/Maple/Black Fiber
- BACK INLAY: Style 42 with .042 Black/Maple/Black Fiber
- NECK: Solid Genuine Mahogany
- NECK SHAPE: Modified V Shape With Diamond Volute
- TRUSS ROD: Two Way Adjustable
- HEADSTOCK: Slotted Square Tapered With Square Slots
- HEADPLATE: Solid Cocobolo
- with Style 45 "C. F. Martin" Block Letters in Blue Paua
- HEADSTOCK BINDING: Grained Ivoroid
- HEELCAP: Grained Ivoroid with .042 Black/Maple/Black Fiber
- NUT: Genuine Bone (On The Flat)
- FINGERBOARD: Genuine Black Ebony
- SCALE LENGTH: 24.9"
- # OF FRETS CLEAR: 12
- # OF FRETS TOTAL: 19
- FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT NUT: 1 7/8"
- FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT 12th FRET: 2 5/16"
- SIDE POSITION DOTS: White, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, double at 12th, 15th, 17th
- FINGERBOARD BINDING: Grained Ivoroid, Mitered
- FINGERBOARD INLAYS: Golden Era(R) Style 42 Snowflakes in Blue Paua
- FINISH BODY: Polished Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer, Dark Filler
- FINISH TOP: Polished Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- FINISH NECK: Polished Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer Complete
- Maple Stain with Dark Filler
- BRIDGE: Genuine Ebony Straight Pyramid Bridge
- BRIDGE SPACING: 2 5/16"
- SADDLE: Genuine Bone, Drop In Saddle, Compensated, 16" Radius
- TUNING MACHINES: Waverly Sloane Brass Engraved Side Mount
- with Small Ivoroid Buttons
- STRINGS: MSP-7100 Light Gauge Phosphor Bronze SP Lifespan
- BRIDGE & END PINS: White with Paua Pearl Dots
- PICKGUARD: Delmar(R) Nitrate Tortoise, OM Teardrop, Polished & Beveled
- CASE: Embroidered Custom Shop 00 12-Fret Hardshell Case
- with Silver Hardware and Satin Embroidered Top Overlay
- INTERIOR LABEL(S): Personally Signed By John Mayer
- No Numbering On Label
- NO CHARGE OPTIONS: Lefthanded At No Additional Charge
- CHARGED OPTIONS: Various Sunburst Top Finish Options, Onboard Electronics
Martin offers a limited lifetime warranty on all of their guitars (valid only to the original owner.) Backpackers, Little Martins and Ukuleles are warrantied for one year. Strings are not covered under warranty.
If you have additional warranty questions, please contact the manufacturer at 610-759-2837