When it comes to your studio recordings, you want honesty. In fact, considering how important your art is, you should demand it! That's why Behringer designed the new B1031A Reference Monitors to speak nothing but the TRUTH. Oh, they still sound great hooked up to your stereo or your video surround system, but they were really built with the studio in mind -- where every note you play or sing is "under the microscope."
Built on a Legacy
Behringer's monitors have been so wildly successful that they've sold thousands upon thousands of them to some of the most critical ears on the planet -- ears that demand the neutral sound of a true reference monitor. Ask any recording engineer and they will tell you that listening to a recording on just a single set of monitors doesn't always paint an accurate picture of the mix. Since people listen to music at home, in their cars, on mp3 players, etc., it is critical your final mix be heard on as many sizes and types of speakers as possible. That's the reason they've created these smaller B1031A monitors, plus they make ideal rear channel speakers for surround sound applications.
Years of R'n'D
For the past three years their Research and Development team has been on a mission to create the "perfect" studio monitor. Behringer's acoustic engineers tried a variety of transducers and enclosure designs, along with existing and emerging technologies. When all the dust settled, they chose to deploy an ultra-high resolution 1" dome tweeter and a long-throw 8" Kevlar-coned woofer in the B1031A.
Glad you asked. Kevlar has an incredible strength-to-weight ratio -- that's one reason it's used in bulletproof vests. Kevlar gives their LF transducer the strength to handle the extremely high energy levels required for distortion-free, chest-pounding bass. And since they have such low mass, Kevlar speaker cones also respond much more quickly than those made of paper, important for not only maintaining bass content integrity, but critical for midrange accuracy and definition. Behringer's Kevlar transducers reproduce even the subtlest nuance of the low-frequency realm without muddying the midrange.
Power to the People
It takes quite a bit more than just a "bulletproof" woofer and a high-tech tweeter stuck inside a fancy box to make a studio monitor of this class. It also takes power -- and lots of it! But even more importantly, that power has to be matched to the individual high- and low-frequency transducers. While some of their competitors are content to stick whatever speakers they have on the shelf into haphazardly designed boxes and then strap on a one-size fits-all amplifier package, they build every single component from the ground up.
Behringer packs 150-Watts of bi-amped technology (including a time- and phase-corrected active crossover) into every B1031A, ensuring that you have the enormous power reserves you'll need to drive them really hard.
Designed to Work in Your Environment
The ideal environment for listening is a linear sounding room neither too reflective (too much reverb and echos) nor too absorptive (muffled and unnatural sound). But since all rooms are not the same acoustically, all TRUTH monitors come equipped to function in a wide variety of situations. Switches are provided to adapt the monitor's lowand high-frequency characteristics for optimal performance specific to your listening environment.
Placement is also critical. Ideally, all loudspeakers should be placed away from walls to ensure proper bass response. But fear not, B1031A monitors feature Room Compensation switches so you can place them against walls, or even in corners. Walls tend to enhance low frequency content, and corners exaggerate bass even more, but your TRUTH monitor can be custom-tailored to provide honest bass response for your situation, with the simple flick of a switch or two.
Non-fatiguing, Wide "Sweet Spot"
While some of their competitors' studio monitors have a highly focused "sweet spot" (the optimal listening position for a pair of loudspeakers), their wave-guide is designed to create a much more generous, broader listening zone. That means you won't wear a hole in the carpet in that one spot where everything sounds great. You are free to move around inside the stereo image to find the ideal spot in the mix for subtle instrument or effects placement opportunities.
You also won't suffer the ravages of "monitor-fatigue-syndrome," an ailment that comes from listening to harsh highmids and treble content for hours on end -- a pretty important consideration for those all-night mixdown sessions that can really test your nerves.
What's Up with the RCA Connectors?
Yes, it is a bit unconventional to put RCA sockets on a studio monitor -- but why not? Now you can connect B1031A loudspeakers to your computer, mp3 player or television receiver for amazing sonic performance. For a truly versatile setup, use one of their USB audio interfaces (the UCA222, for example) to connect to/ from your computer. This convenient setup allows you to monitor your recording projects, and mix and master them, directly from your computer. Hearing is Believing
Behringer could bore you to tears with all the technical jargon (if you really like that stuff, there's a special treat at the end), but hearing the TRUTH will make you a believer. From the "bulletproof" bass of its Kevlar woofer to the silky top-end of its HF dome tweeter, they think you'll agree that nothing in this class outperforms the B1031A. Compare them to the competition and own Behringer!
- Ultra-linear studio monitor with true active design
- Precision Class A/B amplifiers with active protection circuits: 100 W for LF / 50 W for HF
- Ultra-high resolution 1" silk dome tweeter for ultimate sound reproduction
- Long-throw 8" woofer with deformation-resistant Kevlar cone for ultimate bass response
- Ultimate dispersion characteristics and extremely large "sweet spot" owing to advanced wave guide technology
- High-precision crossover network with 4th order Linkwitz-Riley filters
- Adjustable to a wide range of acoustic conditions
- Separately controlled limiter for low and high frequency overload protection
- Magnetic shielding allows placement near computer monitors
- "Planet Earth" power supply for maximum flexibility (100 - 240 V~), noise-free audio, superior transient response plus low power consumption for energy saving
- Servo-balanced inputs with XLR, 1/4" and unbalanced RCA connectors
- High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life
- Conceived and designed by BEHRINGER Germany
zZounds is an authorized dealer of
- Audio Inputs:
- XLR connector: balanced input
- 1/4" TRS: balanced input
- RCA: unbalanced input
- Input impedance: 10 kOhms
- Input Trim: -6 dB to +6 dB
- Max. input level: +20 dB
- High-frequency driver: Ultra-high resolution 1" dome tweeter
- Low-frequency driver: 8" woofer
- Amplifier Output Power:
- Low-frequency range:
- RMS at 0.1 % THD: 70 W at 4 Ohms
- Peak power: 100 W at 4 Ohms
- High-Frequency Range:
- RMS at 0.1 % THD: 33 W at 4 Ohms
- Peak power: 50 W at 4 Ohms
- Type: Active
- Crossover frequency: 2.5 kHz
- System Specification: B1031A
- Frequency Response: -3 dB 35 Hz to 20 kHz
- Sound pressure level: max. 113 dB SPL at 1 m (pair)
- Frequency Band Allocation:
- Low frequency:0 dB at 60 kHz, -2 dB at 60 kHz, -4 dB at 60 kHz, -6 dB at 60 kHz
- Room compensation: 0 dB at 300 kHz, -2 dB at 300 kHz, -4 dB at 300 kHz, -6 dB at 300 kHz
- High Frequency: +2 dB at 8 kHz, 0 dB at 8 kHz, -2 dB at 8 kHz, -4 dB at 8 kHz
- Power Supply:
- Fuse: 100 ? 240 V~, 50/60 Hz T 2 A H 250 V
- Power consumption: 200 W
- Mains connection: Standard IEC connector
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 15.5" x 10.3" x 13.58", (393 x 261 x 345 mm)
- Weight: 11.3 kg
- Dimensions and Weight in Packaging
- Shipping Weight: 65 lbs