Radial Tonebone TriMode Distortion Pedal
In response to the demand received by Tonebone aficionados for greater flexibility on stage, Radial Engineering introduced the Tonebone Classic Tri-Mode, a distortion pedal that features a 'true bypass' clean tone, and two separate distortion modes for rhythm and lead settings.
Get an overview of the Radial Tonebone TriMode Distortion Pedal in this video demo:
Since Radial launched the Tonebone Classic, they have received countless emails from guitarists praising its amazing scope and its ability to produce tones ranging from bluesy grit right up to full-on heavy metal saturation. For players that want to switch between two tones on stage, they have had no choice but to buy two Classics to get the job done. These more demanding players have unanimously asked Radial to produce a 'programmable' solution that would at once give them more flexibility while reducing the space requirements on their pedalboards.
The Classic Tri-Mode is the solution that these players have been asking for. It is akin to having a two-channel guitar amp with separate input drive and output level on each channel and in bypass mode, you also get the third 'clean tone' of the amp. With these controls, the player is able to set up a basic direct clean tone, a thick chunky tone for rhythm, and a searing power tone for soloing and can toggle between them with a single foot switching action. Just like the Tonebone Classic, the Tri-Mode cleans up like a real tube amp when the guitar volume is turned down, resulting in greater dynamics and more of the guitarist's 'personality and style' to shine through.
Like the Tonebone Classic, the Classic Tri-Mode is a 12AX7-equipped tube distortion pedal that combines a proprietary solid-state overdrive circuitry with the warmth and harmonic generation of a vacuum tube to create its distinctive amp-like character. It features two distortion channels, each of which is equipped with variable input drive and output level controls plus 3-position selectable mid-range controls for added body and sustain for soloing. For added flexibility, channel 1 is minutely characterized with a more 'open' sound while channel 2 is more focused in the midrange to accentuate soloing.
Common controls to both channels include a 3-position drive range control for low, medium and high saturation, bass and treble 'passive interactive' equalization, and a high frequency roll-off filter that lets you tame overly bright amplifiers. The overall 'character' of the Classic Tri-Mode can be set for 'dark, normal or bright' to allow the guitarist to further achieve his ideal tone.
To add even greater control, the Tri-Mode is equipped with a 1/4 in. TRS effects insert loop on channel two whereby when channel two is engaged, an effect such as reverb or echo may be automatically activated to enhance the solo. This allows the guitarist to pre-set upcoming effects and with a single foot action. No tap dancing!
Amazingly compact, the Classic Tri-Mode measures a mere 8 in. x 5 in. and is constructed from 14-gauge steel for added durability and supported with a 3-year warranty.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Radial products.
- Circuit type: Hybrid tube / proprietary circuit
- Tube type: Standard 12AX7 vacuum tube
- Input impedance: 1meg Ohm at input jack
- Output impendence: 10K Ohm
- Drive gain 3-way switch: Used in conjunction with the drive gain control. Drive switch selects the gain range of the overdrive circuit.
- Intermediate drive: (Intergain) Variable fine-tune gain for CHANNEL-1 (rhythm) - counter-clockwise for more gain
- Drive-1 & 2 controls: Used in conjunction with the drive gain switch, drive is used to adjust the overall amount of gain to the overdrive circuit.
- Mid Boost 1 & 2 - two 3 pos switches: Used to fatten up the sound for more cut and sustain during solos. Also, will fatten up the sound of single coil pickups.
- FILTER control: Balances the ratio of high frequencies between amplifier and Classic distortion to compensate for overly bright amplifiers.
- 8.12 x 4.25 x 2.12" (207 x 108 x 54mm)
- 2.55lb (1.16kg)
- Weight, Dimensions, and Manufacturer Part Numbers
- with Power Supply
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):
- Scratch and Dent
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):