When you call, mention priority code 146G-CXL9

Rating and Reviews: Zoom SB-246 Street Boxx

Sounds Designed For Urban Music Styles. EZ Loop Recording.

"Very good toy" submitted December 6, 2007

By a customer from web.de
Overall
Musical Background: active musician, bass player
Music Style: r&b, funk, hip-tronica (if that exists)
Sound: 500+ sounds and most of them sound good. Of course some of these are useless unless or childish. Overall crisp and clear sound. The fx-processor is very basic though, especially the reverb. Feature: Most of all I like the fact that it's portable. It has the same note repeat function for pattern programming as the akai mpc. Ease of Use: simple, perfect - zoom know how to do it Quality: I used to own a rt-123 which is basically the same design. I don't expect any problems with the 246. Value: Worth the price - but it will never become a classic. Manufacturer Support: I have some other Zoom products in use and Zoom answered most of my emails. The Wow Factor: Nay - usability and sounds are good but it's targeted towards teenagers. A little bit toy-ish. Overall: There is no other tool out there for the price to make a decent beat in no time.

"Get it now" submitted May 26, 2007

Musical Background: Active Musician, and Recording Engineer
Music Style: Salsa, Hip hop, Jazz, and Gospel
Sound: This is the best; the conga, bongos, timbales and drums, sound like the real thing. It has tunning abilities so you can tune the percussion to your sound. And the pads are sensible to the touch, hit it hard and you have a hard sound, hit it soft and it will be soft. Feature: Many hip hop patterns, and you can make your own. Ease of Use: A caveman couldn't do it, It is a little complicated. Take your time and read the manual. I have a week with it and keep descovering stuff every day. Quality: It is plastic. So don't play freesby with it. Value: It worth more than the price you pay for. Manufacturer Support: I have to give it a 5 because I don't know. The Wow Factor: Should be black to give it a 10. Overall: This baby won't go back
13 of 15 people (86.67%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"easy and portable vs. sound quality" submitted July 17, 2007

Overall
Musical Background: musician-hip hop, electronica, guitarist
Music Style: dnb, hiphop, rock, electronica
Sound: i feel the sound should be more than 16 bit but its fine for the drums. some synth/bass sounds are a bit crappy though. Feature: its pretty flexible and very portable. should have a midi out though Ease of Use: pretty easy and if you take time to read the manual (even just skimming) it becomes very easy. i guess i'm just good w/ electronics. Quality: lights up well, small/lightweight, i wish the pads were a bit bigger but then that would've taken away some of the portability. overall its well made. the headphones that came w/ it are not very good or comfortable but they're decent for travel/back up. Value: by itself it should be a bit cheaper because of the sound quality, but w/ the adapter and headphones its worth it. Manufacturer Support: havent had to speak with anyone from zoom yet. i'll just give 'em a 10. The Wow Factor: its made well and looks good/not cheap looking. Overall: at the moment it meets my musical goals for hip hop drums and some synthy sounds. i just wish the sound quality was better but its like having a pad and pen for beatmaking.

Zoom SB-246 Street Boxx Customer Review submitted September 30, 2007

Musical Background: Musician
Music Style: Hip Hop , R&B
Sound: The sounds are tight, i mean they should have stepped it up to 24 bit though. Feature: The features are the best out there. Dirt south drumkits are my favorite. Ease of Use: I made my first song in 3 1/2 minutes. Quality: Just dont drop it! Value: The value is wayyy greater than the price, thats all im saying Manufacturer Support: Dont know so i will just give it a ten

"Powerful tool for a small price" submitted January 29, 2009

By a customer from web.de
Overall
Musical Background: band musician and songwriter
Music Style: almost all genres
Sound: The SB offers an amzing variety of interesting sounds which can of course be layered and beautified with some basic effects. Feature: Everything you need to create cool drum tracks is there. The only thing which I don't like about it: scrolling through patterns, samples etc. is soooo slow. The SB has some built-in memory to store all your work, too. Ease of Use: Very good - having fun is very important when making music. Quality: No problems since I got this, and I carry it around a lot. Value: Yes, I digg this and will surely keep it. Manufacturer Support: Zoom respond to customer emails. The Wow Factor: It does not look sexy or cool but who cares? It is very practical and musical. The hip hop styling looks a bit rediculous. Overall: When writing a new song drums always come first. The SB is a good tool for that. The results are absolutely okay.

"Great machine for starters!!!" submitted April 21, 2009

Musical Background: recording engineer
Music Style: hip hop
Sound: Sound is very good, drum kits are great, i will be using this machine with my software. Has a powerful sound you would expect from a hip hop beat machine. It has other cool sounds and effect that you can use as well. Feature: Good features, has some cool reverb's and sound effects. Ease of Use: Real easy to use, read the starter book if you need to, it's pretty simple, i started making beats in a few minutes. Quality: Not real heavy, seems to be well built enough. Value: I think for the money you can't beat this machine if you are just starting out, i got DJ headphones which sounded good and the power plug in extra with the beat machine for $199. Manufacturer Support: Never needed support. The Wow Factor: Pretty basic, nothing to fancy. Overall: I think if you need a great hip hop beat machine and are on a budget, get this you can't go wrong for $199. If you want a high tech pro machine go with Roland's MV-8800 if you have the cash.

"A WHOLE LOTTA BANG FOR YOUR BUCK WITH THIS JOINT" submitted February 10, 2006

Musical Background: PRODUCER AND ARTIST
Music Style: RAP AND R'N'B
Sound: The sound is better than average. Feature: For the price and for what I expected it can do a lot more than I thought. I've only had it for 3 days and I think I've barely scratched the surface Quality: You can play frizbee with it but who cares. You should take care of all or your electronics. Value: For what it can do you get a lot of bang for your buck Manufacturer Support: Haven dealt with them The Wow Factor: I like blinking lights. Overall: FOR THE PRICE A 10, obviously better products out there but not competing with this price

"affordable, usable and good sounding unit" submitted April 30, 2008

By a customer from gmxd.e
Overall
Music Style: hip hop and funk
Sound: Most samples sound good, the effects don't - not a big deal though. The output comes pretty clear with good dynamics. Feature: many interesting Samples, effects processor, battery operation, stereo input, groove play, very programmable. Ease of Use: Scrolling through the samples in kit edit mode is slow. Besides that it's a pleasure to use. Quality: Made in China and very well designed. Value: It's cheap and you can do very interesting things with it. The Wow Factor: I got it and I like it a lot. Overall: Very useful little thing. Once you have sorted out the crappy samples and arranged the good ones in user drum kits have a decent drum machine. For me this is a keeper.

"The Streetboxx is Hip-Hop" submitted May 13, 2007

Overall
Sound: Great and usable hip-hop sounds .. love the drum kits .. great sounds Ease of Use: Real easy to figure out .. the manual does a good job explaining and even without it the product is simple to understand Quality: Light-weight .. hasn't broken on me yet .. i havent abused it so im sure about durability but so far so good Value: The Streetboxx is definitely worth its price .. for the little amount it costs it offers a lot of usability Overall: The Streetboxx is a great tool to my producing arsenal .. it gives me great hip-hop sounds and is very usable .. i love this machine and will use it until it breaks

"Killer Drums" submitted April 11, 2006

Musical Background: Recording Engineer/ Musician
Music Style: death metal
Sound: goood sound, like a real drummer. Feature: has plenty to mess around with, you wont get bored. Ease of Use: so easy, once you how to, you can write songs in no time. Quality: yea its a pretty good quality. small and compact. Value: hell yea its cheap. you need to get this while it lasts. Manufacturer Support: no idea. The Wow Factor: yes i do. Overall: like i said before, you wont get bored with this one.

"fun toy" submitted November 30, 2009

Overall
Musical Background: all of the above
Music Style: music
Sound: The actual sounds are good, but the effects don't really do it for me, they kind of mush everything up and dull it all. I'd rather use externals. Hey if it's all you have, go with what its got I guess, but I'd go with an outboard reverb instead if you have the opportunity. Feature: I like the 'groove play' thing. You can waste time for hours with it. Ease of Use: Dude, it's built for rappers, not engineers. Hell yeah its easy to use. Quality: Nah. It's kinda flimsy seeming. I just keep mine on the desk I don't try taking it to gigs or spilling drinks or smoking around it, and it's been alright so far. But I would be nervous about it rattling around in the back of a van with all the speakers and stuff. Value: Really what you are buying here is a toy. A cool toy, don't get me wrong, but a toy nonetheless. I also have the MRT-3 and I actually use that more often for my drum parts. This thing is fun for the jam pads, and has some interesting sounds and a couple of built-in beats that kinda rock, but mostly it's a sound bank to me. Manufacturer Support: I haven't needed it for this, but I like zoom and I have dealt with them for guitar stuff before and they are very polite, punctual, and helpful The Wow Factor: man... they spell things all funny on it to make it look 'ghetto'. Funny funny japanese view of american hiphop culture. I just think it makes it cute. Overall: It's a good box of sounds. I have fun goofing around with the presets but don't use them in the studio. I could see where a rapper without much need for complexity would love using them as backup beats. The jam function makes it cool compared to other drum machines, and it does have a lot of wierd sounds to mess with when you program your own stuff. Don't expect it to sound like 'live' drums like the other zoom one does. This makes beats, not drum tracks.

"GREAT FIRST BUY FOR ASPIRING RAP PRODUCERS" submitted February 24, 2008

Musical Background: Producer, Recording Engineer, Mix Engineer
Music Style: Rap, HipHop, R&B
Sound: A lot of the drum sounds are usable, exspecially the 808/909 recreations. There are ways in which you can "layer" some of the drums to get a very good kick. I gave the sounds a 9 because they could have been better. Feature: I give a 5 because this drum machine is definately not feature rich. I never use the effects because they are very cheap sounding, but i record everything dry anyways. The sequencer is great very tight sounding until you record it, the BPM is always off a little. In my DAW its 75.0 and when i record the BPM of what comes from the Streetboxx is like 75.3256984, and i still cant figure out how to sync it, or if you can. (I lost my manual) Ease of Use: It is by far one of the easiest pieces of equipment i have ever had. When i first bought it, i made a beat within 5 minutes. Its definately perfect for someone who is not sure that production is for them. If you cant make a decent groove on this, than just stop before you invest a bunch of money in a waste of time. Quality: i gave it a 9 because of the effects, but its durability really suprised me. I have had mine for almost 5 years now, by this time i expected it to barely turn on. but the only thing wrong is the pad where i usually assign a hihat, is worn out. It doesnt catch sometimes, not a big deal though as i mainly just sample the drums to my MPC 1000. Value: for 180 dollars its worth just the drum samples. Manufacturer Support: Never had to use them. The Wow Factor: Who cares about looks though? Overall: Overall, I think this is definately a great first buy for the aspiring hip hop/rap producer. This will tell you wether you should invest some more money or just stop. If you have already had a "begginer" piece then save you money and buy an MPC.

"Smokin production tool!!!" submitted August 17, 2006

Musical Background: active musician, producer
Music Style: Metal, Rap
Sound: The samples are without a doubt slamming would give them a 10! Quality of sound I had to give a 9 being the year 2006 I think zoom should have stepped up the sample rate to 24bit..... Feature: Would have been nice if zoom included an adapter, No big deal though.... Ease of Use: Okay if you read the manual through the steps you will have NO problems, The pads are great very touch sensitive, Screen is big enough to read from a couple feet away..... Quality: Pretty nice & small sleek design.. I would'nt want to drop it on ANY hard surface would probably shatter.. If you plan on transporting it around would recommend a carrying case If you plan on keeping it stationary you should have no problems...... Value: Music one can produce out of this little box is very impressive, Day's of samples including keyboard synth & FX!!! When you hear it you would easily drop 350 for it but for 179 COME ON!!!!! Manufacturer Support: Haven't had to use any, So they get a 10 for now..... The Wow Factor: it's cool & sleek Overall: years before I plan on buying any other machine, will probably be this machines big brother!!!

"The SreetBoxx is pure Hip Hop!!!" submitted March 18, 2007

Musical Background: Producer and Emcee owner of Battle Filled Sounds
Music Style: Hip Hop
Sound: When I pulled out the box and started the demo me and my friend were impressed with the potential of the little box. Feature: I like the features. This little drum machine packs in the features and gives you more bang for your buck. Ease of Use: I was making my own beats and kits in a matter of minutes. Quality: I've had it almost a year and no wear and tear. The StreetBoxx is small but high quality. Value: I've co-produced a song for a group in New York they liked the beat I created so much just from what they hear over the internet. Manufacturer Support: I never had to call and I've had it for atleast 10 months. The Wow Factor: First Class product. I love the way it looks and works. Overall: This will be a part of my studio no matter what equipment I get in the future.

"Interesting box but no MIDI out?" submitted September 8, 2012

By R C in portland, OR
Overall
Musical Background: playing electronic music for 20 years, mostly for fun at home.
Music Style: techno, hip hop, house
Overall: This is a unique beat box. Great sound library, good samples, and not a bad user interface, kits have three banks of sounds. The primary limitation is lack of MIDI out. Hence, anything you record on the SB, stays on the SB - there's no recording into a midi sequencer or recording your beats onto another machine. Huge limitation imo, because whenever I program patterns onto my drum machines, I want to be able to use those patterns on different machines when I get back to the studio. Also means you can't the SB as a MIDI master to trigger synth timing. If you can pick one up used for very cheap, it's fun to have around.

"Big Flaw in this one." submitted October 12, 2007

Overall
Sound: These sounds are dope. Specially when you re-amp em. Feature: One Serious Flaw-No Control over the metronome when you're tracking real-time rhythms. Just 4/4 with click clank tone. There are other metronome sounds you can adjust when running the metronome out of record mode. they just don't apply when you wanna lay it down-which makes me want to throw this thing into the ocean. I mean, who only writes beats in four four? Ease of Use: Good programmin aside from that. Quality: scratches pretty easy Value: I mean it's good value if you just want to get stoned and hear some drums. It's not worth a nickel to a beatwriter. Manufacturer Support: Kind of tough, and cold. The Wow Factor: it was like a sweet ho at the show. But kind of nasty the next mo. Overall: Not much use really.

"yeah son! streeboxx son!" submitted February 10, 2008

Overall
Sound: its pretty good. i make beats with this thing. its my first beta machine. im 15. Feature: the most useful feature for me is the repeat step button. i like to make fast beats. Ease of Use: its so easy. my 11 year old cousin makes beats with this. Quality: its pretty good. ive had it for months, and not a scratch on it. Value: its pretty cheap. Manufacturer Support: i never needed it. The Wow Factor: its not that good looking. Overall: its cool.

"Mean beat machine" submitted February 26, 2006

Music Style: Percussion
Sound: Truly amazing sounds at this price, especially the kicks, snares & hats! Feature: The Ac-adaptor is sold separately. Ease of Use: I got my first song ready after just 1 hour. Quality: It's small but looks and feels solid. Value: It's cheap and beats anything at this price! Manufacturer Support: Don't know actually. The Wow Factor: A must have for beat creators on the road! Overall: This is a super-value beat machine. For those who like bangin' buttons instead of programming or creative people on the the road, it's a must.

"STAY AWAY" submitted February 17, 2009

Musical Background: Active Music Producer/Engineer
Music Style: Rap, Rock, Metal, Alternative, Hip Hop, RnB
Sound: cheap sounds Feature: lacks extensive ports Ease of Use: there are no good sounds in this product at all Quality: it is a very un attractive peice of equipment it looks like a babys toy. it even feels like a babys toy Value: its not worth anything at all, it is a pointless peice of equipment. Manufacturer Support: did not care to contact them, i sold it to someone for dirt cheap The Wow Factor: its a major turn off for my work flow in the studio Overall: if it was stolen i would reward the person just for taking it from me, its a awful peice of hardware that should of never been created

When you call, mention priority code 146G-CXL9. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976