When you call, mention priority code 1ZY-Z1ZZ

Rating and Reviews: Yamaha THR10X Hi-Gain Amp

Six flavors of high-gain VCM amp models give you scorching tones and robust effects, as the extended stereo imaging speakers envelop you in 3-D sound.

"Holy Grail Practice/play-along amp " submitted July 28, 2016

By James B in Nashville , TN
Overall
Musical Background: 20+ year stage and studio professional, vocalist and instrumental, lead guitarist
Music Style: metal, classic rock, instrumental, progressive, alternative
Overall: I can't say enough awesome things about these amps that hasn't already been featured and showcased on YouTube, I was simply late to the party but arrived none-the-less. This for me is "it" when it comes to just wanting to play anytime and practically anywhere, but still get AWESOME tones at extremely low volumes. I don't know how they did and don't care because it works and well. I have the THR10x or the high gain offering and I have been able to dial in some of my favorite tones ever on it and have used it to film the majority of my own YouTube videos recently and always receiving compliments on the sound so that there is an endorsement. I t is also further tweakable when connected to a cpu/laptop that has the Yamaha THR editor software installed, (it comes with all the info you need to obtain this immediately), and can also record direct to Cubase or any other recording interface you choose, so it gets even more versatile when connected via USB to a computer. It has on board FX such as chorus, flange, phaser, reverb, delay, tremelo, etc and have limited but fairly wide perimeters on the amp, but way more in depth thru the THR editor. The THR10x's amp model choices for the 8 different tonal jumping off points are based on the OD1 and OD2 channels of an EVH 5150iii type, & an Engl Powerball, a single channel seemingly Mesa-ish (Mark iV/Rectifier-ish), but super saturated, a Flat setting if you want a pedal platform, a Bass setting with obviously accentuated bass response, and a Clean channel section. ALL sound terrific and all are usable to whatever your preferences are. One feature I find very fun and cool is the level control for the guitar's output and the output level for playback from an external device such as a smartphone or tablet etc... It's terrific fun to pull up YouTube or whatever, find some music to play along to and then blend your tone into the mix. You can really dial it in to where it sounds like you are part of the original recording and it inspires longer playing times. I just love this thing to death and since I got it, I have used it way more than my full sized Blackstar HT-Stage 60 combo also pushing an EVH 5150iii 2x12, which for me is my favorite tube rig I have ever used but as we all know tube amps need to be pushed pretty well to bloom and blossom as far as tome is concerned so being able to get what sound like an amp on fire at volumes you can talk over is INSANE and very, very neat! This amp gets my highest possible recommendation and I have told everyone that if you are a guitarist then you must own one of these amps, they are an absolute 10!!!

"Great desktop rocker!" submitted November 29, 2014

By Mark Lukey in Juneau, AK
Overall
Musical Background: Have been playing guitar for 20 years or so. I play in a local Celtic rock band. Also jam at home
Music Style: Rock mainly. Also folk, bluegrass, Celtic, acoustic finger style
Overall: I like this. Like they say, it really works as a "3rd" amp. It's nicely built, has a cool retro look that fits great in my studio space. Nothing feels cheap about it and I was able to use it with no instructions at all. I really like that it has an Aux input so I can play my iPod through it. I like the effects settings, maybe not entirely useful for what I do but it's fun to have the option. The differences between the distortions are really kind of subtle in my opinion. It basically starts at "distorted" and adds a handful of gain for the next level. I thought the 5 levels of distortion would be more distinct. For that reason it would be interesting to try the other THR 10C model but I'm happy with the THR 10 X. The clean channel really sounds nice and I've used it the most so far. No caustic sound here and it breaks up a little even though it's a "clean" channel. I haven't used the tap or tuner feature. Overall I'm very happy and I'm not sending it back. I've used it for two small jam sessions now. My bandmates were impressed. Lots of "big sound" without big ear damaging volume. Not sure if I'm brave enough to use it for a small live venue show but I think it would work fine for a full rock band practice, as long as it's mic'ed for more volume. Great little niche product!

"Best solid state tone period" submitted February 10, 2015

By Dean Bothwell in Glendale, AZ
Musical Background: 7 years of constant practice at home
Music Style: Rock and blues of course
Overall: Yamaha RnD, Please make a 1-12 combo or even a 2-12. Yamahas tones are the best I've heard, I've had Spider, Vox and Marshall practice amps and the quality of tone in this Yamaha is much much better. The 2 little speakers throw out sounds that seem to come from elsewhere in the room like surround. It's small so you won't get deep bass notes as with a larger cab but what you do get is the tones that made history. All channels are great, the affects are tastefully done, the bonus clean channel is glorious with reverb when your not in the mood for face melting juice....it happens;) I love it, my tube amp is Orange my practice amp is Combat green, I'm set.

"PERFECT!" submitted October 20, 2014

By Vincent Harris in Trenton, MO
Overall
Musical Background: I've been piddling around for about 25 years.
Music Style: Classic rock and Blues
Overall: I shuttle back and forth from a farm in North Missouri, to an apartment in South, Missouri. Up north, with no neighbors, I dial my stack to 10....and vibrate my soul. Down south, however....I don't have that option. For something about the size of a loaf of bread, this mother rocks! Don't worry...if for some odd reason you needed to piss off the neighbors...lol...this baby could still do it. MUCH louder than you might imagine, and the sounds much smoother. A smart buy!

"Great amp for home use" submitted May 18, 2016

By Blake Kuder in Ste. Genevieve, MO
Musical Background: Jam at home
Music Style: Rock, Blues, Brit Pop
Overall: I had the THR10 a few years ago. I liked it a lot but it did not have that punchy feeling while playing. Also the amp would get muddy when cranked up. Yamaha improved the amp with the V2 model. Now I have the THR10X. This amp has more than enough volume to rock the house. The clean channel is great. The brown sound models are killer. The southern model which some reviewers on the internet did not like. Well I love it! Sounds like an old boosted Randall RG amp Dime played. I did not care for the Engl models that much. Then again I am not a modern metal player. If your into hard rock and metal this amp kills... Now I want the THR10c for more classic clean amp models and use a A/B switch for clean and dirty tones.

"I love it!" submitted August 11, 2015

By Wayne W in Colorado Springs, CO
Musical Background: 30 Years
Music Style: I like hard, classic rock, blues, some 60's rock hits and my own ideas.
Overall: Yes I really do love this little amp! I listened to all of the reviews, on Youtube and like what I was hearing. THis is the kind of amp that I have wanted for years. I play at home, to entertain myself. The sounds that this Yamaha gem is so cool; better than that professional sound that will just inspire you to play guitar. All of my guitars are out and no longer in a case. I play 70% more than I ever did before owning this Yamaha! If you haven't hear it or tried it out, do, you have an amazing piece of equipment awaiting you! Love it, Love it, Love it! Oh yeah and you can even store your favorite tones! How cool is that!? Thank you Yamaha and thank you Zzounds, you guys ROCK!

"Want Excellent Sound and Quality? Look here!" submitted May 22, 2013

By Charles Wallace in Pasadena, TX
Musical Background: 25 years playing, Play in a Band and record at home studio
Music Style: Rock, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Thrash Metal. Lead soloist.
Overall: My brother had bought the original unit about 4 months ago and he loved it. We play a lot of similar music, but my tastes have always been a little hotter in the Gain Department. If you like GAIN and you know who you are, meet your new friend. This amp is amazing. I played for over an hour on just the first setting Gain at full and the Volume and tones at 12 O'clock. I set the reverb on the hall setting with the least amount (it sounds lush as do all the effects). As I started checking out the other amp models I kept looking at my invoice in disbelief that I scored this for only 3 bills. The amp is very well made and the sound is incredible. Pretty easy to use, just turn the knobs to your liking and you are set. The memory presets (5) make everything easy to store for those sounds you just fall in love with. Luckily once you get everything preset, that won't matter. There are three clean settings, and they do not disappoint. I have to say, looking through the grille you can see the speakers are about 3 inches around, DO NOT BE DECEIVED, you can play loud, loud enough to permanently damage your ears! This amp responds as a "tube" amp and gain stage should, if you play harder you get more response, also if you play light you can feel and hear the subtleness and clarity, even at the highest gain you can hear excellent articulation. Chords sound nice and creamy or crunchy depending on your taste. I love this amp; I tested this amp with several guitars and pickups. If you like EMG or Blackouts, prepare to spend 300 dollars and fall in love, (break up with your girlfriend now) if you have any PAF or Alnico pickups, think 5150. If you like Strats (single coils) there is love to be had and enjoyed. This is a very quiet rig, even with a 20 foot cable. It comes with some software I will write more when i have tested this to give you my informed humble opinion. I really only have one or two gripes: The amp is green and the lettering does not contrast well as it should, unless you have "house" lights and or a really bright practice area, they are hard to see. I get the idea that this most likely is a home studio amp and not for actual gigs are the reason there is no footswitch, it would be nice to at least switch between two of the five presets. Ok I have warned you or informed you. Enjoy, back to my new love. cjwallaceii
12 of 13 people (92.31%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"I am so blown away!" submitted October 11, 2015

By Wayne W in Colorado Springs, CO
Musical Background: Jam at home for fun
Music Style: Rock, metal, blues, some rhythm.
Overall: Yes I am! This little amp is what I have been looking for, for many years. You can have all t he gain that you want without blowing the doors off of your apartment doors, making the neighbors mad! I play my guitar at 3am in the morning and I can set it on the nastiest setting, or go back to one of three nice clean channels! I am not a player that goes out. I stay home and enjoy my guitars. The THR High Gain Combo is perfect for me. It was definitely built for me and guys like me. I love it. You should try it out. This amp will excite you!! Thanks Yamaha and Zzounds!

"A simply INCREDIBLE value" submitted March 26, 2013

By Dave M in Overseas, AE
Overall
Musical Background: professional musician with home studio
Music Style: Rock, Metal, Electronic
Overall: Don't let the size fool you. Though it's roughly the same size as a loaf of bread, it has an absolutely HUGE tone. The tones on the "Brown" channels are to die for, and the main reason I purchased it. Check Youtube for Satchel's (of Steel Panther) video which demos the brown channels and is an accurate representation of how the amp sounds in person.Though the speakers are tiny, Yamaha has installed some software that makes the sound appear to come from places several feet to each side of the amp. It is loud enough to make my ears ring, but I doubt it would hold its own against a live drummer. Overall, a simply incredible value, and this is coming from a tube snob. If I could give it ten stars for the "WOW Factor", I would do so without hesitation. LOTS of inspiring tones in this little box......

"Amazing Practice amp!" submitted August 22, 2015

By Brad P in Moore, OK
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing 30 years, Previous Band experience but now I just play at home for fun!
Music Style: Rock, Metal, Southern Rock
Overall: This little green box is one the best purchases I've made. The amp itself is amazing. huge variety of tones, and the ability to store presets makes it possible to store and switch through your favorite tones quickly. The other cool feature is it's ability to add an audio device so you can play along with your favorite recording. awesome practice tool and a lot of fun! Highly recommend!

"Stunning practice amp" submitted August 9, 2016

By camm Layne in richmond, VA
Musical Background: professional,gigging musician
Music Style: hard rock,metal
Overall: the really cool thing they dont tell you is the headphone jack is also a line out, plug it straight in the mixer and get ready to be blown away, sounds great in the pc the soundcard in it is 24bit and shes awesome for road trips,vacations backstage,or on the beach this little guy has it,great buy,i recommend this to all metalguys,youll love it.

"Awesome little workhorse" submitted November 6, 2013

By Kyle F in Sierra Vista, AZ
Musical Background: Hobbyist over 6 years playing electrice guitar
Music Style: hard-rock, heavy metal, nu-metal, thrash and blues
Overall: I had my doubts but after receiving the amplifier and seeing it in person I was shocked. It's constructed very well and its fairly light, not to mention the big sound this little workhorse can create. The sound was so full and responsive to pick attack I forgot I was playing an emulated amp. I actually shelved my Blackstar for a few weeks because I was amazed at the variety of sounds the THR10X could create. The software was another bonus for fine tweaking of your tone and engaging the noise gate which works flawlessly when you get in the upper registers of high gain. Whoever designed this unit was a genius I can get almost any sound without having to own a ton of expensive pedals to emulate a certain sound I want to use. Coupled with the recording software this unit is a steal. If you don't take my word for it, check out all the positive reviews on youtube for this unit. Satchel from Steel Panther does a killer review of the unit which is also on youtube check it out.

"Good Amplifier" submitted December 18, 2013

Overall
Overall: Great sound with effects ! Perfect for an apartment where you must use headphones.

"It's an ok little amp but not a monster" submitted October 23, 2015

By Christopher Walker in Roanoke, AL
Musical Background: Guitarist... over 25 years
Music Style: Progrock , hard rock, Metal, Fusion, 80's pop ( Police, Smiths, Duran Duran ect...)
Overall: Ok I get straight to the good stuff...Power I ....is based on an Engl powerball crunch channel ... it's a moderate distortion when cranked and eq'ed correctly you can get a Smashing Pumkins type tone....kind of mushy but thickPower II.... based on Engl powerball overdrive channel. This has low end gooey distortion it's pretty thick.. Big chords...but as with the first channel....not a lot of top end bite.Brown I..... Marshall type tone aka VH it's a tight distortion and pretty flat...it's definitely usable but still no pop in the fingering of it..... I like this one but needs a TS9 in front to really get some articulation .Brown II... in the vein of 5150 tight low bottom end an the most distortion of any amp here in my opinion.. The high end on this is a little sharp but still doesn't have the complete articulation needed in my opinion.When this channel is dial in right in an out of phase sound can be SVR or a King's X type tone.Southern Hi.... Dime bag was the theme behind this....but this is the worst amp model in my opinion very one dimesional and doesn't have the crushing chest pounding low end needed.Clean .....maybe a fender deluxe model...it's useful and the eq really change with very little movement (almost like parametric) but still kinda sterile Bass......dullflat......is meant for plugging in other gear...pedal etc....Effects are very good. All are thick and very analog soundingThe Hall reverb is very 3D and huge sounding.Here's the thing the amp models sound great.....but the feel doesn't have a solo players articulation to it. It doesn't have that snap off your fingers to it. I find myself having to turn the distortion very high to get what I need. Kinda feel guilty doing that...haha....With a overdrive in front it sounds a lot better.....it just needs a little more sizzle cause it kinda sounds flat.

"Yamaha THR10X" submitted October 27, 2013

By Seyedmorteza Emadi in Chapel Hill, NC
Overall
Overall: It is an OK amp. But you can not get a decent "metal" sound from it. Don't buy it if you want a "dry" distortion. The distortion on it has always a "flanger" effect. I tried very hard to get rid of it but it is not possible.

When you call, mention priority code 1ZY-Z1ZZ. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976