When you call, mention priority code 171M-NLGJ

Rating and Reviews: Yamaha THR10X Hi-Gain Amp

Six flavors of high-gain VCM amp models give you scorching tones and robust effects, as the extended stereo imaging speakers envelop you in 3-D sound.

"Awesome little workhorse" submitted November 6, 2013

By Kyle F in Sierra Vista, AZ
Musical Background: Hobbyist over 6 years playing electrice guitar
Music Style: hard-rock, heavy metal, nu-metal, thrash and blues
Overall: I had my doubts but after receiving the amplifier and seeing it in person I was shocked. It's constructed very well and its fairly light, not to mention the big sound this little workhorse can create. The sound was so full and responsive to pick attack I forgot I was playing an emulated amp. I actually shelved my Blackstar for a few weeks because I was amazed at the variety of sounds the THR10X could create. The software was another bonus for fine tweaking of your tone and engaging the noise gate which works flawlessly when you get in the upper registers of high gain. Whoever designed this unit was a genius I can get almost any sound without having to own a ton of expensive pedals to emulate a certain sound I want to use. Coupled with the recording software this unit is a steal. If you don't take my word for it, check out all the positive reviews on youtube for this unit. Satchel from Steel Panther does a killer review of the unit which is also on youtube check it out.

"Great desktop rocker!" submitted November 29, 2014

By Mark Lukey in Juneau, AK
Overall
Musical Background: Have been playing guitar for 20 years or so. I play in a local Celtic rock band. Also jam at home
Music Style: Rock mainly. Also folk, bluegrass, Celtic, acoustic finger style
Overall: I like this. Like they say, it really works as a "3rd" amp. It's nicely built, has a cool retro look that fits great in my studio space. Nothing feels cheap about it and I was able to use it with no instructions at all. I really like that it has an Aux input so I can play my iPod through it. I like the effects settings, maybe not entirely useful for what I do but it's fun to have the option. The differences between the distortions are really kind of subtle in my opinion. It basically starts at "distorted" and adds a handful of gain for the next level. I thought the 5 levels of distortion would be more distinct. For that reason it would be interesting to try the other THR 10C model but I'm happy with the THR 10 X. The clean channel really sounds nice and I've used it the most so far. No caustic sound here and it breaks up a little even though it's a "clean" channel. I haven't used the tap or tuner feature. Overall I'm very happy and I'm not sending it back. I've used it for two small jam sessions now. My bandmates were impressed. Lots of "big sound" without big ear damaging volume. Not sure if I'm brave enough to use it for a small live venue show but I think it would work fine for a full rock band practice, as long as it's mic'ed for more volume. Great little niche product!

"Want Excellent Sound and Quality? Look here!" submitted May 22, 2013

By Charles Wallace in Pasadena, TX
Musical Background: 25 years playing, Play in a Band and record at home studio
Music Style: Rock, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Thrash Metal. Lead soloist.
Overall: My brother had bought the original unit about 4 months ago and he loved it. We play a lot of similar music, but my tastes have always been a little hotter in the Gain Department. If you like GAIN and you know who you are, meet your new friend. This amp is amazing. I played for over an hour on just the first setting Gain at full and the Volume and tones at 12 O'clock. I set the reverb on the hall setting with the least amount (it sounds lush as do all the effects). As I started checking out the other amp models I kept looking at my invoice in disbelief that I scored this for only 3 bills. The amp is very well made and the sound is incredible. Pretty easy to use, just turn the knobs to your liking and you are set. The memory presets (5) make everything easy to store for those sounds you just fall in love with. Luckily once you get everything preset, that won't matter. There are three clean settings, and they do not disappoint. I have to say, looking through the grille you can see the speakers are about 3 inches around, DO NOT BE DECEIVED, you can play loud, loud enough to permanently damage your ears! This amp responds as a "tube" amp and gain stage should, if you play harder you get more response, also if you play light you can feel and hear the subtleness and clarity, even at the highest gain you can hear excellent articulation. Chords sound nice and creamy or crunchy depending on your taste. I love this amp; I tested this amp with several guitars and pickups. If you like EMG or Blackouts, prepare to spend 300 dollars and fall in love, (break up with your girlfriend now) if you have any PAF or Alnico pickups, think 5150. If you like Strats (single coils) there is love to be had and enjoyed. This is a very quiet rig, even with a 20 foot cable. It comes with some software I will write more when i have tested this to give you my informed humble opinion. I really only have one or two gripes: The amp is green and the lettering does not contrast well as it should, unless you have "house" lights and or a really bright practice area, they are hard to see. I get the idea that this most likely is a home studio amp and not for actual gigs are the reason there is no footswitch, it would be nice to at least switch between two of the five presets. Ok I have warned you or informed you. Enjoy, back to my new love. cjwallaceii

"PERFECT!" submitted October 20, 2014

By Vincent Harris in Trenton, MO
Overall
Musical Background: I've been piddling around for about 25 years.
Music Style: Classic rock and Blues
Overall: I shuttle back and forth from a farm in North Missouri, to an apartment in South, Missouri. Up north, with no neighbors, I dial my stack to 10....and vibrate my soul. Down south, however....I don't have that option. For something about the size of a loaf of bread, this mother rocks! Don't worry...if for some odd reason you needed to piss off the neighbors...lol...this baby could still do it. MUCH louder than you might imagine, and the sounds much smoother. A smart buy!

"A simply INCREDIBLE value" submitted March 26, 2013

By Dave M in Overseas, AE
Overall
Musical Background: professional musician with home studio
Music Style: Rock, Metal, Electronic
Overall: Don't let the size fool you. Though it's roughly the same size as a loaf of bread, it has an absolutely HUGE tone. The tones on the "Brown" channels are to die for, and the main reason I purchased it. Check Youtube for Satchel's (of Steel Panther) video which demos the brown channels and is an accurate representation of how the amp sounds in person.Though the speakers are tiny, Yamaha has installed some software that makes the sound appear to come from places several feet to each side of the amp. It is loud enough to make my ears ring, but I doubt it would hold its own against a live drummer. Overall, a simply incredible value, and this is coming from a tube snob. If I could give it ten stars for the "WOW Factor", I would do so without hesitation. LOTS of inspiring tones in this little box......

"Good Amplifier" submitted December 18, 2013

Overall
Overall: Great sound with effects ! Perfect for an apartment where you must use headphones.

"Yamaha THR10X" submitted October 27, 2013

By Seyedmorteza Emadi in Chapel Hill, NC
Overall
Overall: It is an OK amp. But you can not get a decent "metal" sound from it. Don't buy it if you want a "dry" distortion. The distortion on it has always a "flanger" effect. I tried very hard to get rid of it but it is not possible.

When you call, mention priority code 171M-NLGJ. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976