When you call, mention priority code 160L-MQGV

Rating and Reviews: Yamaha SW118V Club V Sub

Boost your PA's low end with this 18" passive sub. Handing 600 watts RMS and 1200 watts peak power, it outputs clean bass down to a floor-shaking 30 Hz.

"Good sub but more hifi than high volume." submitted December 11, 2011

By a customer from juno.com
Overall
Musical Background: I have played bass, for about 25 years, mostly at home. Have about 4 years experience as pro sound tech.
Music Style: I love blues, like everything else.
Sound: This cabinet has some resonance, but over has a clean sound. Extension to a flat 25hz is obtainable with a some eq, flat to about 35-40hz without eq. Over all response curve is smooth and flat with no major peaks or dips. The efficiency rating is a little low. Power handling is a little low, with the 3" voice coil. The large box also allows the cone to move farther at lower frequencies than the smaller box subs, lowering the power handling further: The tradeoff for the excellent extension. If you get greedy with this one it runs out of cone travel . Feature: I like the tradeoffs in this box to get that last octave, but there is no crossover in the cab, a feature some subs have. Ease of Use: I had to find a good crossover point and play with it more than if there was already one in the box, not a problem for me, but not eveyone has a good way to crossover a sub. Also the box is too big and heavy for me to easily tote alone. With two people it is very easy. Quality: It is good quality, but I wish the box was not carpeted; I prefer vinyl or bedliner coating. Value: If I was looking for the loudest, toughest sub, I would not have bought this one. It is better used in smaller rooms- think of a blues or jazz band who wants to catch the lowest 30hz fundamental on the 5 string bass... at 100db- not 120db. I know some speakers can do both, but not at this price. Manufacturer Support: Haven't blown it out yet... The Wow Factor: This speaker is made in USA and has the low end extension I wanted at a price I could swing. However, I don't think it is the best choice for everyone because it has less efficiency and power capacity than many of the other subs, and the box is bigger and heavier to boot. Overall: If this sub was stolen I would be very sad. I would not get a Peavey or Behringer. I prefer the hifi type sound to super high volume.

"A giant step up in sound or a stepping stone to another level." submitted July 27, 2006

By a customer from wimberley-tx.com
Overall
Sound: Sounds great for our roots rock band. Adding them made the difference in sounding like an "Act" as opposed to a garage band. Feature: No extras included. It does what it does. Ease of Use: Straightforward, simple. Quality: Everything is fine except for the feet. They are crap! They pull, roll off the cabinet with the slightest sliding motion in moving them. The front two can be fixed, improved but the back can't without building something onto the cabinet to re-attach them to. Value: So far, appears to be a great value considering performance and cost against other brands. Manufacturer Support: No issues so far that require support. Just hoping if it came to it. The Wow Factor: A functionally attractive aesthetic. Not an impulse buy sort of thing as if you came across a vintage Les Paul and you could afford it. Overall: After a year, they still do their job well enough that any shortcomings can be overlooked or tolerated. I will probably keep using them until our PA/Sound is somebody elses problem to deal with.

"Thought it was a decent product with a reliable company...I was wrong." submitted December 11, 2004

By a customer from goodtimecharlie.net
Music Style: Classic rock, blues, southern rock
Sound: The sound quality was about average. Feature: No accesories I know of... USeful features were that they were 8 ohm each and daisy chained to 4 ohm for amplifier matching. Quality: Very unhappy with quality. We are a part time classic rock band, had these less than a year, absolutely did not over power or under power them and one of them had major driver failure. Our sound technician (very technically trained) opened them after getting them back from Yamaha service rep, and up found no evidence of "burning" as the Yamaha service rep at warranty center claimed it had. (They refused to honor warranty and replace driver as result of their "diagnosis".) Our sound technician sent a letter and comparison pictures of what a real "burned" driver looked like and a picture of our driver they said was burned, which did not have a scorch mark anywhere, and we recieved no response or compensation from anyone in the chain of service. Value: Not worth it in my opinion. Manufacturer Support: ...as mentioned in "Quality" section, they refused to honor warranty and replace driver as result of their "diagnosis". Our sound technician sent comparison pictures of a what a real "burned" driver looked like and a picture of our driver they said was burned, which did not have a scorch mark anywhere, and we recieved no response or compensation from anyone in the chain of service. The Wow Factor: Was suppose to be a practical addition to our setup... Overall: Very disappointed...replaced drivers in the cabs with another brand, on our own, at additional expense.
22 of 23 people (95.65%) found this review helpful. Did you?

Yamaha SW118V Club V Sub Customer Review submitted May 12, 2004

Sound: I've got two of these and the sound is great but they don't handle that much watts if you ask me,well basically they didn't last that long because i didn't even have them for more than a year and i had to recplace my subs with a pair of pevey's which have serious bass but other than that they are pretty good speakers

"Yamaha reputation tarnished by these 4 dissapointing subs." submitted May 4, 2005

By a customer from riffhouse.com
Musical Background: Sound Engineer
Music Style: Rock, Hard Rock, Metal
Sound: More accurate and efficient than my Madison 21" subs at low volume, but these don't handle high volumes well at all. I ran 4 of these off a Behringer EP2500, delivering up to 600 watts per sub (per spec). At around 40% power the subs started breaking up. No amount of sound board and EQ tweaking could make these things happy at concert volume (heavy metal) so I didn't use them. Country or gospel shows would probably have better luck. Feature: Speaker comes in a box with a small guide outlining the frequency response. No accessories promiced, provided, or expected. Quality: Cabinets are solidy constructed and heavy. Better speakers would probably turn these into some really nice subs. I wonder if the Peavey Black Widows will fit... Value: I got 4 of these as refurbs for $320 each with free shipping and regret the purchase. Good price if they had lived up to expectation, but they didn't. Very glad I didn't pay full price! Manufacturer Support: N/A The Wow Factor: Wanted it before I got them, now I wouldn't have another one. Overall: I'll probably run these at smaller shows with a Behringer EP1500 and a for sale sign until they're gone. A pair would fill a small room where I wouldn't be using lots of power anyway, so I'll probably get my $300 per speaker back sooner or later.

"so-so" submitted January 19, 2007

Overall
Sound: Somewhat of a dissapointment. i have them matched with Yamaha's P5000 amps. they sound great at lower volumes but at comcert level they get muddy. Feature: they came with nothing but i didn't expect them to come with anything. a mounted set of wheels would have been nice. Ease of Use: they hookup well with the yamaha matching amps and club v pa speakers. Quality: the cabs seem to be strong but one of the subs was dead out of the box and it took some work to get a replacement Value: if your planning to use them for a small to medium room they will do fine but if you want some real punch at concert level, spend the money and get some mackies. Overall: the price wasn't bad and they work pretty well if you don't push them but for a little more you can get subs with higher output and more punch.

"Do not waste your money if you need serious bass" submitted November 27, 2012

By Earl H in haines city, FL
Musical Background: 25 years professional dj
Music Style: rock, hip hop, r@b, blues, country,reggaeton
Sound: Cabinets can not handle a lot of power. Sound descent at lower volume. Considerchaning drivers out with peavy lowriders 18" Feature: easy hook up for full range usage. Ease of Use: I tried everthing possible to get a quality sound at higher volume and it would not work,i.e. tweeking EQ and adjusting Crossover. Quality: need drivers capable of handling more power. Value: NO! Spend the extra money and buy a pair of jbl srx118 or jbl srx228 Manufacturer Support: never used the support staff. The Wow Factor: There was no Wow factor. When you purchase a yamaha product you exspect a quality product. Yamaha need to upgrade the driver in this cabinet, because as itstands it is giving the Yamaha company a bad name. VERY DISAPOINTED! Overall: If you are looking for cabinets that put out serious bass do not purchase these cabinets or you will be very disappointed. Pay the extra money and buy jbl srx228'sIf you still decide to purchase them consider upgrading to peavy lowrider 18" drivers.

"Yamaha Product failure" submitted January 31, 2011

Musical Background: active musician/engineer
Sound: Purchased 4 of these for an outdoor festival, sounded aweful. Ran a Yahama 7000 to each side (2 per side) and they were clipping and distorting at all volumes. Really, not even CLOSE to a decent sound, and I spent 1-2 hours trying to EQ all of the problems out of them, and they never came into their own. To make them sound better, we changed the speakers out to Peavey Black Widows, now they kick. (bolt pattern is EXACTLY the same. Feature: Cheap garbage components, I changed out all of the 1/4 inch jacks within a month, the speakon adapters are ok, and the handles are recessed back making it very uncomfortable to carry them. The feet ripped off within 2 hours of me owning them. Ease of Use: Plug and play. After you get finished replacing all the stuff that got burnt up previously. Quality: Well built cabs is the reason I replaced the drivers only. Value: Do not buy these. Save 100 bucks more and get the JBL or the Peavey. Period Manufacturer Support: The first 3 drivers quit working at that first gig. They told me that I blew them, but there were no burnt areas or scorch marks, and to make matters worse, the speakers are not repairable, eminence does not sell the replacement cones. You have to upgrrade the speaker, which we did to Peavey Black Widows. The Wow Factor: Again, Garbage Overall: Buy it if you want to sound as bad as you possibly can, and spend more than you have to to replace the poorly manufactured drivers. Sorry Yamaha, this product failed.

"Don't buy 'em" submitted November 15, 2010

Musical Background: Promoter/Sound Guy for Dance Hall
Music Style: Zydeco
Sound: sounds bad at higher volume..at lower volumes, it's barely passable, but anything approaching Unity it breaks up big time.. Feature: It just can't handle the wattage it's progammed for..I had two of these going at 750 Watts apiece and they were breaking up big time.. Ease of Use: Easy at low levels.. Quality: was told the bracket on the back on the cab was bad but Yamaha wouldn't fix it.. Value: Not worth it. Manufacturer Support: have dealt w/Yamaha before, with the 15's I use for tops..have had no problems in 10 years so I figured the subs would be as good or at least as close..Very wrong on my part..was told I needed to spend lots of extra money to have them fixed, but I won't..I'll buy another brand.. Overall: I'll use it for low end gigs, but for hard-rocking, shows that need the extra boom, no way I'll use these.

"Los Traviezoz de Anthony NM" submitted September 2, 2013

By Jose Nunez in Anthony, NM
Musical Background: over 30 yrs musician
Music Style: Spanish top 40,s
Overall: I always thought Yamaha made good products so I bought a pair of this subs I noticed the cabs need internal bracing, when you turn up the volume the cabs start to rattle on the side panels I didn't want to mess around with tech. support I just added internal bracing for the price you can buy 2 seismic audio they are not top of the line but they sound much better and the cab is tuned much better

When you call, mention priority code 160L-MQGV. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976