When you call, mention priority code 12C0-PVCX

Rating and Reviews: Yamaha MSR400 PA Speaker

Perfect for the road or studio, this powered PA cabinet from Yamaha delivers powerful bass and clear midrange all in a clean, simple design.

""Everyday Real-World Review"" submitted March 15, 2011

By a customer from isa-avl.com
Musical Background: Semi-Pro Sound Man, Home recording
Music Style: Gospel, Country, Classic Rock
Sound: I run sound for a male gospel singing group with piano. I wanted a powered speaker for mains capable of small to medium size venues. I listened to JBL, Mackie, Peavey, and several others with similar power ratings, some with higher power ratings. I bought the MSR400. The sound is very clean and true especially for vocals. Excellent balance between lows and highs, and the power is more than adequate for even some larger rooms. I run these using Blue Encore 300 mic's and a Soundcraft FX16ii board. If your focus is on vocals with clean sound, (not needing to blow ears off), you should give these speakers serious consideration. Feature: The reason I give them a 9, (like most powered speakers), is that you get this short electrical cord that will barely reach the floor if you pole mount these which you will do 99% of the time. Speaker manufacturers need to provide at least an 8 foot cord to make connections to extension cords where necessary more practical as well as cosmetically better looking. The units have a low and high EQ but I run this at neutral setting and control EQ from the board which most people will do. Ease of Use: Plug and play. What more can you say about powered speaker ease of use. Quality: Although made in China,(like virtually everything else in music), they appear to be constructed very well. Molded cabinets eliminate potential vibrations, sturdy, metal grill, easy to transport. Like any speaker I would recommend getting a cover to protect from dust and other elements. Time will tell how it holds up over-all. Value: Given what is available in the market especially with higher power wattage these are a bit pricy in comparison. Most of the MSR series are a bit over-priced given the competition. Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed them yet so we'll hope for the best if I do need them. The Wow Factor: Excellent cosmetic appeal and it doesn't frighten the audience who sit "up front" worrying that they might need ear plugs. Overall: Given the sound, and the purpose, for which I purchased these they are an excellent choice. Probably will never need anything more unless we start playing arenas!

"Amazing Quality & Sound" submitted December 3, 2005

By a customer from mac.com
Musical Background: 30 years as Musician and DJ
Music Style: ALl Styles
Sound: I bought these over the JBL & Mackie Speakers and I am glad I did. Absolutely amazing for their size.Im using them as DJ Speakers and have many years in the business!Keep up the good work.Incredible sound ! Great bass response ! Im going to buy the powered sub to add to these for very large venues! Feature: Clean , Simple, powerful, very very well made! Quality: Top of the line construction.Very Very solid. Value: Well worth the money. Manufacturer Support: Havent needed it The Wow Factor: The design of these is very easy on the eyes Overall: Befor you buy another brand try these first they are great

"Great sound, great yamaha quality!" submitted November 4, 2012

By KK Curtis in Knoxvegas, TN
Overall
Musical Background: Professional, touring, gigging.
Music Style: Country, Rock, Christian, Blues, Fusion
Sound: Said enough...... Feature: Need I say more..... Ease of Use: Set gain at desired level, set HF - LF to desired level, plug and play. Works well with any non powered mixer, as long as it utilizes XLR main outs. Using the 1/4" ts/trs does have slight harmonic buzz, though very low. Quality: What can I say, it's a Yamaha product! Value: Best value in a mid-level active enclosure....hands down! Manufacturer Support: No need at this point. The Wow Factor: I am "wowed" by the over quality and performance of this product. Could I make good music without it? Yes, but....I'll take these over the competitor(s) anyday! Overall: I have used most every active speaker out there....Mackie, JBL, EV, Cerwin Vega, EAW, RCF, FBT, QSC as well as others. The yamaha product rates equivalent to higher priced items, and performs as well or better in similar enironments. SPL's are great, freq response very consistent with different genres of music. Very powerful, and yet seems to be "under rated" on the power side. Construction is typical yamaha, and can't be beat. Spend more for something similar, and you will be dissapointed!

"This speaker rocks!" submitted May 10, 2010

Musical Background: Singer
Music Style: Jazz , soft rock
Sound: Crystal clear sound. I use 2 of them conected to a yamaha mixer and the sound is so true. I'm using AKG mics. The bass is very very powerfull for a 12'' It achieves all frequencies. I seriously recomend this speaker to everyone. Ease of Use: A little heavy, but the sound it generates it's heavy to so there's no prob... Quality: It has a great aspect and it is very durable. Value: very worth the price. YAmaha rules. Manufacturer Support: Never needed any support from Yamaha. The product has no issues. The Wow Factor: Very great aspect. Suitable for any type of ambiet (jazz rock metal...) Overall: many years

"This is a MUST buy if you are in the market for Powered Speakers" submitted April 10, 2007

Musical Background: Active Muscisian
Music Style: Rock, punk
Sound: The sound of the Yamaha MSH 400 is absolutely amazing. For vocals it cannot be beat. I put this against the JBL Eon G2, mackies, and yorkville and the Yamaha blew them away. Feature: Yamaha makes the best amplifiers period. Numerous in connections and a built in 2 band equalizer help you fine tune the sound. It also has a special crossover where there is absolutely no distortion. Ease of Use: Plug from mike straight into the speaker or go thru a mixer. Quality: Yamaha has been making the best amplifiers for years and in this product it is no exception. Do this, goto your local music store. Get a cd that features vocals and do side by side comparisons on the quality. Thats what I did and the Yamaha blew away the competition. When I play a CD thru the pair it sounds absolutley amazing. The bass is excellent, mid and highs crystal clear. When my friends come over and I pipe a cd thru the speakers they are speechless.......... Value: For the speakers in the 500-800 dollar range these cannot be beat. Manufacturer Support: No problems The Wow Factor: Traditional look Overall: I strongly suggest you give this speaker a serious consideration. I am the type of guy who examines all the specs, and then does side by side comparisons before buying anything. It was not even close, the Yamaha was the choice hands down. Now that I have the pair set up I am completely satisfied.
16 of 17 people (94.12%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Well worth it for the money if you like deeper bass response." submitted July 7, 2006

Musical Background: DJ/producer
Music Style: urban/electronic
Sound: We compared this against the Mackie SRM450 and the Yamaha bass response is better. Mackie has too much mid range. Value: Cheaper price than other powered PA monitors out there.

"Fantastic sound. Worth the money. Don't buy JBL Power15's over these!" submitted October 3, 2005

Music Style: Rock, Drum and Bass
Sound: Great response on a wide range of frequencies. I put it side by side to a JBL Power15 and it kicked the snot out of it in terms of overall sound quality and especially on the low end. A little pricey, but I think it's worth it. Feature: Nothing spectacular, but I'm glad it came with a line-in as well as two mic-ins so you don't really need a PA for basic usage. It has a volume knob of course, and it has basic low/high eq knobs which is nice as well. Also has a clipping LED so you know when it's being overworked. Quality: Solid construction, medium weight, handles on both sides... thumbs up. Value: Again, a little pricey, but I think it's worth it. Manufacturer Support: Yamaha is a quality company. The Wow Factor: I was very impressed with this product in store and it really was spooge-worthy enough to shell out the extra cash for. Overall: I might eventually need more wattage output, although this thing gets LOUD.
11 of 12 people (91.67%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Very pleased! " submitted December 3, 2012

By Tim J in Toledo, OH
Overall
Musical Background: Keyboard player, manager, and vocalist for traveling vocal group. Play professionally.
Music Style: County and Christian music.
Overall: For 12 years I designed and sold church and school sound systems. Thus, I am familiar with many products. Now, I manage a traveling vocal group consisting of 3 vocalists and keyboard player. We use our own studio backing tracks along with live accompaniment during concerts. Most performance are in churches and outdoor venues such as fairs and festivals. I purchased two of these as stage monitors five years ago. I listened to many competing products before purchase. These speakers are excellent. Sound quality is superb. Very warm, smooth, and clear. Love the ability to control level and tone for each speaker depending on vocalist's unique desires. Plenty of power for stage monitors!

"Nice Speaker but stay away!! no support from yamaha if it breaks!!" submitted December 17, 2013

By ade bolaji in east point, GA
Overall
Musical Background: playing percussion for 20yrs, mostly sound engineer now...
Overall: Recently bought a pair of MSR400 spkrs. Sound very good but weigh alot compared to Mackie 450's. My biggest problem isn't related to sound. Just found out from yamaha that they don't offer any replacement diaphrams for the horns. You have to but a whole new $200 horn unit. Don't bother with buying this speaker. One bad pop and your going to have to spend half the cost of purchase to fix it.

Music Style: Blues rock punk
Sound: Sound is detailed & "well projected" good base the sound of a harmonica sounded truly "alive".vocals and guitar were extremely pleasing. Feature: Inputs are excellent Ease of Use: A snap to use with my Yamaha USB 166 mixer Quality: Excellent build pleasing cosmetics Value: Excellent value to my mind & ears Manufacturer Support: N/A The Wow Factor: I have considered taking it to bed...but it's a bit cold to touch:-) Overall: These are excellent speakers and replace my tannoy 15-inch gold. Truly excellent sound you will not be sorry if you buy these!

Music Style: Blues rock punk
Sound: Sound is detailed & "well projected" good base the sound of a harmonica sounded truly "alive".vocals and guitar were extremely pleasing. Feature: Inputs are excellent Ease of Use: A snap to use with my Yamaha USB 166 mixer Quality: Excellent build pleasing cosmetics Value: Excellent value to my mind & ears Manufacturer Support: N/A The Wow Factor: I have considered taking it to bed...but it's a bit cold to touch:-) Overall: These are excellent speakers and replace my tannoy 15inch gold. Truly excellent sound you will not be sorry if you buy these!

Music Style: Blues rock punk

When you call, mention priority code 12C0-PVCX. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976