When you call, mention priority code 1601-2DQP

Rating and Reviews: Yamaha MG124CX Mixer

This portable Yamaha mixer comes complete with built-in effects and is compact enough to be taken anywhere.

"Yamaha MG124CX Stereo Mixer with Effects" submitted February 23, 2012

By Ray Staar in Calexico, CA
Overall
Musical Background: 45 year keyboardist, composer. Producer of sound bites for the internet, radio & TV commercials, pop songwriter.
Music Style: Rock, pop, country.
Overall: The MG 124CX is billed as a portable, i.e., a gigging mixer. I don't think I'd feel comfortable using it that way. I'm not saying it doesn't have the specs to deliver the goods, because it does. Out of the box, it's clean, consistent and full featured, with phantom power, compression on 4 of 6 faders, very serviceable EQ, aux send and receive, a monitor mix and a palette of useful, if somewhat cheesy effects. It's the chassis that gives me pause. It's plastic, and not the heavy, durable sort used to fashion action toys, but a lightweight, almost brittle variety that I'd be reluctant to road test in any serious way. The shake, rattle and roll of workaday action would, I fear, take a rapid and unforgiving toll.However, as the heart of a small recording studio, safely ensconced in a spare bedroom, den or dedicated production space, the MG 124CX has few peers, especially considering the very reasonable, zZsounds price tag (under $300). I use it almost daily in my one man production studio and have found it a very satisfactory stand in for the 16x4x2 monster that used to do the job. One thing: get a sturdy nylon cover and keep the MG scrupulously covered when not in use. The deck, being plastic, is a dust magnet and, once fouled, the MG's precise little pots and faders, would be prohibitive to repair or replace..
18 of 19 people (94.74%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Yamaha is pricey but totally worth it" submitted March 6, 2012

By Edward N in SENEY, MI
Overall
Musical Background: Been a DJ and KJ for about 15 years.
Music Style: I enjoy mostly Rock but i enjoy some of the newer Pop and some techno as well.
Overall: I've had this board for a few weeks and I really like it. It only weighs 7 LBS so I'm a little concerned about how delicate it will be, but take care of it and it will be just fine. The sound quality is impressive, I do karaoke and this board really lets you know who has a good voice and who doesn't. A bit of a learning curve from upgrading from my Behringer PMP4000 but I'm getting used to it all. The effects are very clean sounding and not digitized sounding like some boards. The first 4 channels have a compressor knob, I really see no true benefit from this but it's there. This has a VERY clean sound. Certainly would recommend it to someone who does smaller gigs where you don't need a whole bunch of channels.
10 of 11 people (90.91%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great Yamaha Quality, Great sound!" submitted November 4, 2012

By KK Curtis in Knoxvegas, TN
Overall
Musical Background: 32 yrs....Professional, touring, gigging, and session player, and vocalist
Music Style: Country, Christian, Rock, Blues, Fusion, Jazz etc...
Sound: Sound: Very clean, nice warm pre's, compression very usable, EQ sufficient, EFX....lacks slightly on the presence, but overall nice for a built in unit. Faders are smooth, and assignment options are great. Works with any style. Easy to mix on the fly. Buy an outboard EQ, or add a BBE sonic maximizer to help draw out the usable freqs. Dont over EQ though, a simple 15band stereo EQ will be more than enough. Feature: All features work very well, and are very user friendly. The only weakness I see, is the onboard EFX. Great assortment of presets, but verb for vocals can be a bit "hollow or tinny" and lacks a bit of clean "presence". A little tweeking and it is good live. Ease of Use: Very easy....run most channels flat, set gain, throw faders and let er' rip! I highly recommend this mixer for use with Yamaha'a MSR400 active speakers. A great combination. Quality: Made very well, as with most Yamaha products, great components, cosmetic and most of all performance! Value: Though there are other comparable items on the market (Mackie ProFx line, A&H ZED line etc..) this mixer is well equipped to compete. Although I will say, the Mackie ProFX line has cleaner EFX for vocals, and an onboard 7 band stereo EQ, this mixer is better built, has a warmer overall sound, and gives great flexibility. This is a GREAT value! Manufacturer Support: Not needed at this time The Wow Factor: Very high for this level of equipment. Because of the overall ease of use, patch options, and sound quality, I would choose this product over any other in this price point....even if I have to add an outboard EQ! Overall: Bought to use primarily as a mixer for smaller venues where full micing is not needed. This is a great value for the money, and has nice features to enhance your sound quality. Best of all, it is a Yamaha product!

"If your looking for a user friendly uncomplicated desk with a good effects for singing try this." submitted April 29, 2010

Overall
Musical Background: singing, mixing for artists and bands
Music Style: rock drum and bass
Sound: Sound quality isn't just down to the mixer it's also down to the quality of the speakers.Im using 725 rcf series 7 at 750watts a side.To get the sound you want you just need to tweak the desk to achive the sound you are looking for.I used the two 1/4 jack imputs using top and bottom end on the mix tweaked top and bottom to 1,oclock and bingo I got sound I wanted.I have tried soundcraft with it's renouned lexicon effects and mackie desk with effects.I do singing and also karaoke nights,so the vocals are important especially on the reverb and delay.Mackie in my view was poor,Soundcraft close but tended to have to overmix the vocals somewhat for every singer.What grabbed my attention to this desk was the clarity of the vocal and i'm fussy.I was in a club to see a turn and liked what I heard from the effects.So I had to have a nose at the desk and it's effects.The big difference with this desk is the easy compression,turn to desired level,but try not to over do it as the sound will become unatural.This easy compressor is uncomplicated and really does tighten up the vocal with clarity.If you run karaoke shows like I do, you will know when you get a weak singer they are a nightmare to mix as your fighting with the feedback when you increase the vocal on a weak singer.Not anymore just tweak the compressor easy to bring the vocal in. Feature: Most useful compressor,indifidual on off button for each slide Ease of Use: Very easy to get a good sound and I had not read the book.Learning curve yes never use a desk without a easy to use compressor lol.Manual does not explain what the white parameter knob is for. Quality: Looks good in my book,only problem and is a big downfall for me you can't rackmount it.I have had to make a board for it to sit on,on my slant flight case.I do keep a back up my trusty studiomaster club 2000 dsp.But that is beacause.The desk is new time will tell as I do take it out on the road. Value: Good value for money if your looking for a half decent desk with good effects.This is the one. Manufacturer Support: first time yamaha user The Wow Factor: Looks good to me,practical for my needs Overall: I will wear it out,but always on the lookout for good effects mixing desks.Least like unable to rackmount.

"Yamaha MG124CX Stereo Mixer with Effects" submitted December 9, 2013

By Jim Alba in Stockton, GA
Musical Background: 30 yrs of live music and now Karaoke DJ
Music Style: All styles
Overall: The mixer is very light and portable. It has an articulate and clear sound. The built-in one-knob compressor is awesome. Vocal effects are very useable. Overall, an OUTSTANDING PRODUCT from Yamaha!

"Middle of the road on the Highway to Hell." submitted February 18, 2009

Musical Background: Novice Active Musician, bar cover and originals
Music Style: Rock the house baby!
Sound: Sound quality is ok, as long as you are just using it as a mixer and not adding any built in effects or anything. Mid to high end frequencies can be processed a little tinnier than desired, but for the money I was spending, I knew what to expect. I am not dissapointed with what I got, but nor did it blow me away. It simply is what it is for the money. Feature: The built in effects are pretty terrible, you really need to crank the reverb to even know it's on. If you want effects, by a smaller/inexpensive mixer and a seperate effect unit. Each channel also has Compression. Again, if you really want true compression, go another route. So essentially I use outboard gear and just use this as a mixer, and it's fine for that. My only other complaint is that I have a slant rack road case and you cannot use this mixer in any type of rack case, no extension pieces or anything so I had to use a plank of wood and velcro the mixer to it. Channel 11/12 which has the RCA ins is a nice touch for playback from an outside audio source. Haven't used the ophantom power but I think it's there. Ease of Use: Well, have you ever used a mixer before? If you have some knowledge you'll be fine. The manual will not help you learn to route signal though. It's intuitive enough. Quality: Seems pretty well built. I haven't thrown it across the room in a rock and roll rage though yet or lugged it from club to club, so... Value: Hmmmm...again, purely used as a mixer to route signal, fine, no problems. But given the built-in effects are shoddy I'd say it's not the best bang for your buck out there, but I didn't feel ripped off either. Manufacturer Support: Support...I think we can all use a little support in these uncertain times, don't you? haven't had to... The Wow Factor: If it were a member of the opposite sex, I wouldn't need a 12 pack to sleep with it, but a little buzz wouldn't hurt. Overall: Overall, it does the job. I just stress if you want more than a pure mixer (like effects and so on) look further. But it has enough XLR ins for most rock/pop band applications. I've had at least a handful of other mixers be it powered or not, effects or no, and this is not the best but not the worst. For my situation, i wanted to spend more on speakers and the actual power amp, knowing in time I would upgrade this piece. I'm satisfied with it but not running to mountain tops to shout Yamaha Mixers for everybody!
22 of 27 people (81.48%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Affordable with a decent sound" submitted February 3, 2008

Music Style: Folk Rock
Overall: It's an inexpensive little mixer that is suitable for a singer/songwriter or a small band. A lot of features for the price.
18 of 22 people (81.82%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Yamaha MG124CX Stereo Mixer with Effects" submitted September 24, 2012

By David Davol in Ashburn, VA
Overall
Musical Background: playing music for 45+ years, full time professional since 1979
Music Style: Folk rock like CSN, Eagles, JT, modern country like Toby Keith, Brad Paisley, Blake Shelton, alt./pop like John Mayer, Dave Matt
Overall: Got a great deal on a B-stock mixer that had been previously opened. Received all product info and mixer arrived in pristine new condition. Immediately started using the Yamaha in my stage show ( I am an acoustic soloist, guitar and voice with sequencing) The sound is excellent, it's easy to use, and I'm happy with my purchase. Had been advised by my electronic repair guy that he sees Yamaha mixers the least for repair, hence this purchase...

"MG124CX - I'm using it and I'm lovin' it." submitted April 20, 2011

By a customer from mac.com
Overall
Musical Background: Active club and private event musician/band leader.
Music Style: 40"s through the 80's
Sound: I'm very pleased with this Yamaha MG124CX Mixer. It replaced my Mackie Onyx 1220 which I'll probably keep as a spare. I like the built in effects for live use. The Compressors on the first four channels help punch up the vocals and kick drum. I have the compressor set at around 9 o'clock for the vocals and around 11:30 for the kick drum mic. The AE5400 condenser mic and EV N/D 767 mic's sound great with very little need for any EQ. My main speakers are a pair of Mackie SRM450's and this mixer seems to work very well with them. The MG124CX mixer is so much lighter than the Onyx and there is more plastic than metal so I'm going to treat it with kid gloves. It seems to me that Yamaha has a lot of experience making front of house mixers and have incorporated some of that knowledge into this easy to understand, streamlined design. Thanks to Zzounds.com for making me an offer that I couldn't refuse. Feature: Power supply included. Built in effects, compressors on first four channels Ease of Use: Easy to sound really good. Value: I think that this mixer is worth more than the asking price.

"had to return" submitted April 17, 2013

By Cecil M in bay city, TX
Musical Background: play bass & acoustic guitar, vocals for 30 years
Music Style: Christian, country
Overall: Nice and portable, exactly what I wanted except channel 1 sounded like bacon frying in the background. Returned

"I like it very much.I have Two.But the instruccions should be more specific." submitted October 28, 2012

By Oscar Ojeda in Yonkers, NY
Overall
Musical Background: I am a Singer. I copy from Mini Disc to CD using this mixer.
Music Style: Spanish Romantic music.Bolero.
Overall: I recomend to use Monitor Out,top right. Keep Stereo out -----0------ also 7/8 ----0----Adjust de out put level turning the gain control. It took me some time to learn to use all the controls,but now it is easy.Effect RTN,I like #3

When you call, mention priority code 1601-2DQP. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976