When you call, mention priority code 16JX-LXNF

Rating and Reviews: Yamaha DGX230 Keyboard

Perfect for beginners, this Yamaha Portable Grand delivers rich stereo piano sounds -- plus hundreds more sounds and styles, a built-in recorder, and more.

"Astonished!" submitted December 26, 2012

By George K in Lindsay, CA
Overall
Musical Background: long time struggling musician
Music Style: brassy rhythm and blues
Overall: There are twelve amazing demo sequences pre-loaded on this instrument that blew me away. Nine of those demos have transcriptions in pdf format and cover different styles of music from rock to jazz waltz. The demos are really great sources for learning cool chord voicings, fills, transistions, melodies, etc. You can solo or mute the piano parts while you play along with the band.This instrument is amazing for the price and is ideal for anyone wanting to attain a higher level of comping skills and chord voicing knowledge. The tracks that I like are Against All Odds, BogiWogi, CntryPno, EpBallad, GospelRB, JazWaltz, JetSet, MBossa, MSwing, RockPno, Salsa, and TakeOff. I plan to import some other songs that I like that I have in midi format to play along with. I am simply amazed at the functionality for the price I paid. Really happy with this instrument.

"A great deal" submitted March 28, 2011

By k
Music Style: country, blues
Sound: It's hard to believe that a keyboard costing only $200 (which stand, PS, and headphones) could sound this good and have this good of key action. This is the same keyboard as the YPG-235 (the manual has both models on the cover) but at a much better price if you don't mind silver. I don't. Feature: stand, ps, headphones
28 of 30 people (93.33%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"A good deal with good quality." submitted November 15, 2011

By a customer from mac.com
Musical Background: 26 years in Church
Music Style: Christian
Sound: Being a larger keyboard with more speakers it produces a very nice sound. Feature: We needed something with a transpose and this keyboard has that. It's better than our previous Yamaha that when you selected a function you had to go all the way through the whole list to get the previous one--the DGX230 has arrows allowing you easy access. Ease of Use: You don't have to read the whole manual to be able to get started, press a button and an arrow and you can begin! Quality: I shipped it internationally and it held up well. Value: This was a great buy! Manufacturer Support: Don't really know The Wow Factor: Neutral Overall: Hoping this to last longer than my previous Yamaha which lasted 5 years.

"This is the best keyboard at this price." submitted October 26, 2011

By a customer from atcomputing.com
Music Style: Contemporary Christian
Sound: Got this as a warehouse item and the few scuffs on the edges cleaned right off with some wax. Great deal at $180 and the sound is great. Feature: Has alot of good quality sounds with the grand piano being the best. Good recording and playback features. Quality: This is a quality istrument for the price Value: Great Value Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed post sales support but pre sales was prompt

"Highly recommend zZounds.com" submitted October 23, 2013

By William T
Overall
Overall: Best place to purchase a piano keyboard, bought for daughter.....she loves it.

"Yamaha DGX230 keyboard is just what I wanted" submitted April 22, 2012

By Kathryn G in Eufaula, AL
Overall
Musical Background: I played the piano as a child and am now getting back into it now that I am retired.
Music Style: rock, easy listening, ballroom dance music
Overall: I bought a Yamaha DGX230 keyboard a month ago and am very, very happy with it. I had a smaller 61 key keyboard previously and found it limiting. This one is perfect for my needs. I still have not learned all there is to know about it because it seems to be very versatile. It is a beautiful instrument.

"Big, Bulky, Lightweight - Has Great Sound Though" submitted December 28, 2011

Overall
Musical Background: Since 5th grade. Acoustic guitar, keyboard, bass, flute. Haven't played a gig since my mid 20s, but I do want to create music.
Music Style: Pretty much anything, mostly top 40.
Sound: I don't know how to use keyboards. I grew up playing piano, but I never learned how to write. So when I say I love the sound of this product, I am saying the volume is good all by itself and it's a full, bold sound to me. I'm still trying to learn how to use all the bells and whistles, so I can't comment about whether all the drums sound realistic or whether the instruments are perfect. From the pre-recorded styles, everything sounds great to me. I didn't buy it to perform with though. Feature: The pre-recorded components were the most useful for me. Even though I haven't learned how to use the keyboard yet, I was able to follow the instructions and record one of my own compositions using a pre-recorded into, middle and ending. All I had to do was play the correct chords. NOTE: If you bought this expecting to use software that automatically creates sheet music, they don't tell you that you have to buy the Yamaha Audiogram 3 USB recording interface to do so. The file transfer directly from the USB port on the keyboard is worthless - the raw files are proprietary and useless until you buy the Audiogram 3 to translate them. While I wanted the sheet music option, my true purpose in buying the keyboard was to be able to record music for videos and my mother who sings at church and needs performance tracks (music without singers). This is easily done by hooking a Y-Cable with a 1/4" plug into the headphone jack and stereo RCA jacks on the other end. (Save your final performance to a channel in the keyboard first so all you have to do is hit "play" and the record button.) I have an Audiophile 2496 sound card that does a great job of recording the music with GoldWave. It's a little bass heavy, but all I have to do is use the equalizer in Goldwave and I can save it to a MP3 file, then burn it to CD so people can sing to it. Physically, it's a big keyboard even though it's not a full piano keyboard, but not heavy. The music holder is nice and sturdy. The digital panel is easy to read and I found all the buttons easy to read and use. There's so much more this board can do, but I just don't have the time to figure it out. I just read the instructions as I need to do something new. Ease of Use: If you've never delved into doing your own recording, this might be a little much for a beginner. Like I said, I haven't had time to sit down and learn how to use everything. Consequently, I find it frustrating to use for anything more than just playing. I wish I could take an intensive course on how to use it so I could create all the parts for all the different instruments. I couldn't really find anything on the net that gave good information on how to use it. The fact that I bought it specifically for the USB connection and then found out several months after buying it that I needed a part that was another $100 to do so is disappointing. If you are just starting out and don't know the intricacies of recording multiple parts yet, go with something simpler. If you're a musician who already knows all these things, you'll probably get a lot of use out of the keyboard. The back of the keyboard is sparse. There are NO midi ports. Only a USB port (again, useless without the Yamaha USB interface), a sustain pedal jack, a headphone jack and the power jack. I find the power cord a little short for my tastes. Quality: I bought a "returned" box, so while I got it for a really good price it had already been in and out of the box. When I opened it, you could barely tell it had any wear on it. It has a very sturdy construction for so light a box. The only problem I could see is if you had a mic picking up the sound (as opposed to running it through the USB port) the keys are kinda noisy. They seem full-sized, but are plastic and light (compared to wooden piano keys I'm used to). Something about the design of the keyboard keeps my fingers in the right place as opposed to getting lost on the keyboard as I often get when playing a full sized piano (I don't play regularly). I don't know how well it would do as a nightly gig keyboard. It seems kinda lightweight for being tossed around every night. It does take up a lot of space - my entire kitchen table for example. Value: The price I paid for it? It was a GREAT value. I don't know how to gauge whether all the electronic features are worth the typical selling price for a box that was new and had never been opened. It sounds good, I can record music from it, it's physically lightweight and well laid out. Manufacturer Support: I haven't had any reason to call Yamaha, so I know nothing about their customer service. The Wow Factor: I don't know enough about keyboards to make that judgement call. Would I buy a "returned" box for a niece or nephew just learning how to play the piano? Yes, definitely. Once they learn how to use it they have vast creative options. It's huge and lightweight, but I think a perfect learning tool. Overall: I would buy a keyboard with midi ports instead if I had to do it again.

"Recommend" submitted June 21, 2012

By Rachelle B in Baltimore, MD
Musical Background: Amateur
Overall: I recently purchased this Yamaha DGX230 76 Key Portable Keyboard, factory restored, and am very pleased. I placed the order on a Tuesday, and it arrived Thursday! Though it was factory restored, I have had no issues with it, and am pleased that I got the keyboard, headphones, music stand, power cord, and keyboard stand for a much reduced price. The only thing that disappointed me was that the keyboard stand did not come with instructions for putting together. Thankfully, I'm fairly handy, and I was able to do without. It's possible that if I searched online, I may have found it. I did not attempt to contact Customer Service, but I assume that if I had, they probably would have been able to help me out. In all, I do recommend this product for amateur musicians - and for the price offered by zZounds, (especially factory restored!) you should be satisfied.

"The Keyboard that could" submitted August 13, 2012

By Eddie T in Rocky Mount, NC
Musical Background: Keyboard, Guitar
Music Style: All styles, with classical and pop/rock my favorites.
Overall: This is a funky kind of keyboard for a price that can bring on the funk in a moment’s notice. Yes, I LOVE this baby! Yamaha hit the mark with style, function and sound in this DGX-230/YPG-235. And Zzounds gives it the affordable touch in monthly payments so you have no excuse to not get that gear you’ve been wanting.I usually play keyboards only through standalone vsts, like Pianissimo, Truepianos, Galaxy Grand (Kontakt) and the like. So my initial judgment upon playing with it for a few minutes wasn’t favorable; I didn’t much marvel at the Grand “sound”, as other did in their review here and Amazon or YouTube. My wife suggested that I was spoiled because of the sounds of the standalones, so I took a day off from playing any standalones. I just fiddled with the DGX-230 for a whole day, immersing myself in the sound of the Grand sound. It then became apparent that I had misjudged the varmint—I actually came to enjoy the sound of this baby. What a keyboard!I put her through her paces by utilizing some of the many features and she passed with flying colors. There really is no need to expound upon the features, as words don’t really do justice to what this baby can do. But, suffice it say, she can do so much and more! If you are on the fence about purchasing this, I might suggest you drop your concerns and listen to a player (I play guitar as well –are you listening, Zzounds?): you won’t be disappointed. Of course it can’t really be put on par with $2000 keyboards, but commensurate with price and the Yamaha name, you’ve got a keen investment for enjoying a relatively sweet-sounding keyboard that will give back your investment many times over. And don’t forget: you can send it back if it dissatisfies you. Just don’t be unreasonable in your expectations. Remember: you are paying less than 3 bills. But you’ll get a great keyboard you’ll play with no complaints. Just keep it real.

"Yamaha Keyboard" submitted January 9, 2014

By Charles D in Henderson, NV
Musical Background: Play professionally for 30 years
Music Style: Jazz, pop, adult contemporary
Overall: Delivery was prompt and keyboard has been great! Thanks for a good job.

Yamaha DGX230 Keyboard Customer Review submitted July 6, 2011

By a customer from otonline.net
Musical Background: active hobbyist
Music Style: rock, easy listening
Sound: The sound is great. Feature: Happy a music rest is supplied. Ease of Use: Getting used to the control knob and all the functions you can use does take some time. Read the manual Quality: No roblems here Value: Well worth the price.Really glad I got it. Worth the aggravation from the wife for buying a new toy. Manufacturer Support: Haven't used after my purchase. Overall: A very long time. I should be hapy with this key board until it stops playing. Don't want to lose it, but would replace it.

"The Yamaha that could..." submitted August 9, 2012

By Eddie T in Rocky Mount, NC
Overall
Musical Background: Keyboards, guitar.
Music Style: Rock, pop, soul, jazz, classical
Overall: I paid $260 for the keyboard, stand, power supply and headphones (I already have a pedal) here at Zzouds. Wondering if I overpaid for some upper-level "toy", I held my breath turning it on. Immediately I went into a 12-bar boogie-- I was surprised! Nice sounding keyboard. Next, I put the sheet music to "So Far Away" by Carole King on the stand; I was floored! From DM9 to DM6 it was like heaven. This keyboard, for the money spent, is the best bargain in a musical instrument I've ever owned. I own several guitars and another keyboard ( 10 year old Casio LK-73).I then hit the "Music Database" button, played a key on the left side first, then stopped the auto-accomp by hitting the white Start/Stop button. It will say, "Jude Hey" in the window; ignore that. Now play a chord (or the key corresponding to the chord you want to play) in the left hand and play some notes-of-that-chord in your right hand-- beautiful! I played "Auld Lang Syne" and it sounds so warm and lovely, that it will make an old-timer feel it right down to his/her feet. It made me nearly tear up...sorry.I really don't care much about all the features this keyboard has to offer. It's nice to have, yes, but I don't need them. Good selling point should I ever want to spend some big bucks (fat chance) on a professional model. If you're on the fence about this purchase, I don't mess around: get it and you will enjoy it. Promise!

When you call, mention priority code 16JX-LXNF. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976