When you call, mention priority code 12DM-CNYF

Rating and Reviews: Yamaha DD55 Drum Pad

Touch-sensitive drum pads. Intros/endings.

Overall

"A well designed, practical, sensitive, easy to use drum machine which will last for years. Ideal for al ages and playing abilit" submitted February 27, 2011

Musical Background: Active Praise and Worship Musician
Music Style: Many and varied, but chiefly Gospel
Sound: The sound/s are awesome, put it thro a powered monitor with a 15" full range speaker and a horn tweeter and stand back! Just listening thro a pa system with your eyes closed convinces you are listening to a miked acoustic kit. The feel of the pads are great and very sensitive to touch. The only improvement I can think of, would be to make it even more velocity sensitive. The volume levels are about right, and they can be changed seperately if needed (according to the manual) Feature: Mine came with the drum pedals, the drum pedal I inserted into a custom made base, so mine doesnt go anywhere when I am playing. The hi-hat one I swapped for a Medeli hi-hat pedal, so they match. Ease of Use: Its easy to use,set up is quick and simple. I just change the bass drum, crash cymbal and snare sounds to suit me. I like the layout, obviously designed by a drummer (unlike the DD-65). It simplicity itself and doesnt cause confuson when you start to play, its ideal for a beginner, as you get decent sounds straight away and its quiet when turn the volume down or use headphones. Quality: Its very reliable and very robust, as I use a music stand to mount it on. I sometimes do street work with my group, so I wrapped some foam lagging pipe around the outside casing, to prevent any knocks or damage if it got dropped. th Value: Its excellent value for what it does, and highly recommended as a portable drum machine to used for a gigging drummer in small venues, as a recording kit in studios (no lengthy sound checks needed) and as a teaching module. It teaches u to be sensitive and as I play in a praise and worship group in my local church its ideal. Manufacturer Support: No dealings with company as I have no cause to contact them. The Wow Factor: The color is just right and very pleasing to look at, its design is excellent, I prefer it to the DD-65. I use it as my main instrument and I also have a full size electro kit. Its a brillant designed piece of electronics. I wouldnt use anyhing else! Overall: I rate this product very highly, it is not a toy (as I tell all the kids who come flocking around it at the meetings) its a serious piece of kit. Its so good, when I had the opportunity to buy another one at a knockdown price, I didnt hesitate!
18 of 19 people (94.74%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Has its place." submitted July 11, 2007

Music Style: rock and pop
Sound: It sounds decent. I play through a bass amp. It has nice variety with tons of unusual sounds like whistles and woodblocks. Obviously inferior to a well-miked acoustic kit, but I fool tons of people with it. I think the crash symbols are the weakest sound. Feature: I am giving this a slightly low rating because although it comes with foot pedals (the key to allowing you to play it with the same skills an acoustic kit requires) they are really, really poor. You can use all sorts of third party pedals in place of the ones it comes with. I bought a Roland KD-8 kick trigger and a quality acoustic kick pedal and the difference was absolutely massive. Has a very solid feel on the right foot now. I am looking for a replacement for the hi hat pedal now. Ease of Use: It really is easy to use. I record with it and it just goes directly into the sound card with very little noise. Just turn it on and start hitting stuff. Quality: Mine has held up really well over time. Value: I'd say it's a decent value, but as the technology on electronic drum kits improve this will lose value over time. Considering that this has been around for quite a few years already, back in the day it was impressively before its time. Overall: I am a guitarist and I use this in place of software or a drum machine to get drum sounds on my home recordings. It's brilliant in that you can build up a ton of actual drumming skills while playing it, and it's incredibly easy to record with compared to an acoustic kit. It can also be extremely quiet (can play with headphones) which is a really nice feature. It helps that I am not a drumming looking for massive expressiveness... I am a guitarist looking for basic, solid drum rhythms on standard rock tunes.
26 of 28 people (92.86%) found this review helpful. Did you?

Yamaha DD55 Drum Pad Customer Review submitted March 16, 2004

By a customer from nyu.edu
Music Style: Rock / Jazz / Pop
Sound: the sounds pretty awsome, kickass realism. though, it is hard to get the exact sound combinations you'd want // compared to a set of real acoustic drums Feature: I haven't tried them all, but it seems to have quite alot of features. Complicated to learn them all but i guess that's a good thing. Would be better if you can store more sets of custom kits Quality: As with most other owners say, it looks a bit flimsy, but after whacking it for a bit it proves it's durability. Pad's are made pretty well, though it still feels a bit awkward. The size is also many times bigger than what I expected. Chunky. Value: Would be better if the price included the stand as well, since having the drumset without a stand is pain in the ass to use. Slightly overpriced in my opinion Manufacturer Support: no need for support yet The Wow Factor: Could do with some others within the price range, but it's still pretty good for it's value

"Yamaha's best offer for starters has a new name: DD55" submitted May 1, 2006

Music Style: Metal
Sound: I have owned this drumset for about six months and it is indcredible. It sounds like a real set and you can modify it so you can put reverb and loud volume and you can make your custom kits and change like over 200 sounds. Feature: It included sticks, pedals and the power source but it didn't come with headphones Ease of Use: It is easy to play and you can modify the features, sounds and even kits very easily, you can have the best sound easily Quality: I've only had it for 6 months but i play very hard metal and i can assure ut lasts very long Value: I think it is the best electronic set you can buy for this price and the relation price-value is great Manufacturer Support: never used it The Wow Factor: I got it as a present but when i saw it on the internet i thought it was awesome Overall: It is the best set you can buy for this price!!

Yamaha DD55 Drum Pad Customer Review submitted September 9, 2003

Music Style: Hip-Hop, R&B, Pop, Rock, Jazz, Cont. Gospel
Sound: Yamaha knows drums the sounds are great beacause there's a variety of sounds that the user can choose from. Feature: It would be nice to include a deal with the travel case that's been created for it. overall the accesotries were fine Quality: this is a well built product with professional quality Value: yes I believe it's worth it's selling price Manufacturer Support: Dealing with Yamaha has never been a problem great service and product knowledge. The Wow Factor: When I first saw it a 2nd hand music store i just had to have it cause the price was reasonable. Since I produce quite a lot of elctronic, pop, R&B and hip hop music. I really was considering utilizing it as a midi drum controller. Overall: I'm sure the DD-55 will give me years of enjoyment. I love the sound quality of the machine overall. Portability is a great feature as well. Lastly for the price this product offers quite a real drum feel for the price. Utiliizing the pads as a midi trigger for software drums and synths is probably one of my main uses. however I've enjoyed and utilized the on board sound banks in my productions as well. just for a "live" unsequenced feel. If there was one thing I would hope for in the future from this product it would be to have control of some fine tuning details of the pads in example maybe a velocity sensative ride cymbal that allows you to hit it at certain velocity and here just the rim of the ride and maybe hit it just a little harder to get the bell sound.

"Cool novelty for a non-percussionist." submitted March 4, 2008

Overall
Musical Background: Recording Musician (Keyboard Player/Singer)
Music Style: Christian music/Jazz/R&B
Sound: I am a keyboard player, not a percussionist, and I use this for latin percussion effects, and the sounds are very adequate for what I need. Of course, the pads aren't as responsive or dynamic as a true conga set, but I find it much better and a lot more fun than my workstation. Feature: What sold me on this was that I could use my hands instead of the sticks. I was considering buying a Roland HandSonic, but the Yamaha DD55 did everything I needed at a fraction of the price. A shared ouput/headphone jack kind of sucks, but this doesn't matter to me. I get great sound running this through my regular system and playing through my studio monitors. This unit runs on batteries, but it can also run through a 12V adapter (not included). Ease of Use: Very easy to use. My only real complaint is where they put the dial that controls which drum kit to use. I have a tendency to move that dial when I play using my hands. Nothing earth shattering, but it does get annoying. Quality: Ok, I guess. The foot pedals look cheesy, but they work. Value: I bought this barely used from someone for $100. Saved me from spending over $500 on a Roland Handsonic. The Wow Factor: Other than the annoying problem I have with the drum kit dial, I like it. I wouldn't even mind gigging with it as a novelty.

"A great tool for Hobby-Drummers (and beyond?)" submitted January 19, 2007

Overall
Sound: It's a great tool for the studio or for jammin' - so portable. I'm currently looking for a good powered monitor to use when jamming. Any suggestions? Something that can handle the highs and lows without distorting? Feature: Cross-faded drum samples with level of impact. Ease of use with outside systems - via 1/4" jack; MIDI jacks. My only complaint might be that there is only one 'custom' kit available, and setting these features is sometimes a little obscure - keep the manual close by. Ease of Use: Very similar in concept to Yamaha's other 'professional' level Digital drums like the DTX series. Of course, due to the small pads, and constrained size of the unit, it does not have the dynamic 'physicality' of moving around a full-size kit. And the small pads mean that stick-accuracy must be right on to get a good 'hit'/trigger. Some sounds seem more critical than others. Since I reset the sensitivity up, this is better. Quality: This little unit is indestructible. I had it at a summer camp to teach some of the kids the basics. It took loads of hard knocks and downright abuse from some very enthusiastic kids - and never missed a beat. One idea if anyone does something similar. The ladies at the camp put plastic baggies over the pedals to keep the sand out. That probably helped! ;-) Manufacturer Support: No support needed is the BEST support. The Wow Factor: Now that I bought a snare drum stand for it and a proper drummer's throne - it looks very nice. I'll play it anywhere with anyone (assuming I have a good speaker/monitor output for the setting.) I personally find a 'real' snare drum stand looks much nicer and is probably more solid than the one sold by Yamaha specifically for the DD55.

"A great electronic drum set" submitted November 3, 2003

By a customer from dabaswual.net
Overall
Overall: The cheapest, real, acoustic set you can get is $200. But you get working foot petals with this DD-55, = 7+2= 9 "pads" There are lots of pro-sound sounds. And some sounds that you can't really use. Fat bass drum, and loads of snares sums DD-55 up. I hook this up to Gigasampler sampler and it works fine...then I have 808 & distorted 909 kits that I make myself.

Yamaha DD55 Drum Pad Customer Review submitted September 19, 2006

By a customer from earthlink.net
Music Style: Rock, Jazz, Blues
Sound: Cymbal sound is great but pads don't respond like cymbals. Feature: The possible pad assignments are unbelievable and easy to do. I'm not sure the pads are in the best configuration. I would like the crash cymbal further to the right. The reach is a little cumbersome. Ease of Use: Very easy to start using. All the features can be adjusted and used as desired. Value: Easily worth the price. Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed any support so far.

"Incredible value" submitted October 7, 2004

By 3DDD59080
Overall
Musical Background: PRO DRUMMER AND BASE GUITAR.
Music Style: ROCK
Sound: good for practicing pro or begginer. Feature: yes you get aset of sticks and of course the moniter that has over 100 sounds to play along to.You can also record. Quality: Yesmade nice and simple and is bound to last up to about 2-5 years. Value: Worth it. Manufacturer Support: No. The Wow Factor: A lot Overall: Anything up to about 10 years.

Yamaha DD55 Drum Pad Customer Review submitted November 21, 2005

By a customer from excite.com
Musical Background: recording musician
Music Style: various
Sound: a slight step up from GM drum sounds Feature: nice bundle with headphones and a DVD Quality: nothing special here. for the money however, fairly nice Manufacturer Support: NA Overall: The pedals blow and the pads are not as sensitive as I would have liked but it is a servicable midi drum controller for those hard to program tracks (it also doubles as a portable practice kit).

"DD-55... nice little midi controller with decent onboard sounds as well." submitted March 4, 2004

Overall
Sound: The internal sounds of the DD-55 are surprisingly good. I use it as a midi trigger however, so the sounds coming out of Battery are even better ;) Feature: Came with an AC adapter and fairly lightweight (maybe 5A) unmarked sticks. I have heard that there are some units out there without AC adapters, so you may want to double check when buying. Quality: It's a pretty sturdy unit. Mine has probably 20 hours of heavy play on it so far, and everything works like it did when it was new. Value: $140 Manufacturer Support: haven't needed to.

"Nice Unit" submitted June 22, 2007

Overall
Sound: The speakers on the unit are ok. It actually sounds better through the headphones. If you take it anywhere to play, I recommend an amplfier or speaker. Overall the sound is decent. Feature: This thing is loaded with all sorts of features. If you're considering buying this unit, keep in mind different websites/retailers sell this unit bundled with different accessories. Some retailers sell it with a power cord and some don't. Some retailers sell it with headphones, sticks and a power cord. Just make sure you check the product desription to see what comes with it. Also, even though there are two foot pedals included, I replaced them with the Yamaha KP65 kick tower and Yamaha FC4 sustain pedal to give the kit a more realistic feel. However, if you don't want to spend the additional money, the foot pedals that come w/ the unit will do. A stand for this unit is a must. Either a snare stand or the Quiklok DS55 Drum Machine stand will suffice. Ease of Use: Easy to use and the manual is very user friendly. It may take a while to go through everything but it's worth the time. Quality: Upon first glance it may appear to be a toy. However, I can assure you it's not. The outer casing is very sturdy and the pads can take a beating. I've had my unit for over a year and it's holding up well. My four year old son has beaten the tar out of it and the unit is still standing. Value: I think it could be a little cheaper but you won't find anything else on the market that has all the features of the DD55 for anything less. I think it's a great value. Manufacturer Support: Haven't had the need for any support. The Wow Factor: Own it and plan on buying another one.

"Good start-up kit." submitted August 25, 2007

By a customer from sbcglobal.net
Musical Background: Active Drummer
Music Style: Everything, mostly ROCK
Sound: Has some cool sounds, nothing to write home about. Feature: Good features, lacking in total control. Ease of Use: Just plug in and play, cool. Quality: Mine still works, i think. Cheap pads and pads are to small for me. Value: Good value for a starting drummer or practice kit. Manufacturer Support: Haven't had to send it back... so i don't know. The Wow Factor: I have it. Overall: Good for a kid who wants to start getting the fundamentals of drumming. Not a pro item.

"I have it, I will give you the low down" submitted December 15, 2003

Music Style: Everything mostly session work
Sound: Sounds very good, hook it up to a PA and you will say wow and choke prolly. The selection of sounds is decent approx 200 sounds 100 of which are standard drum kit sounds, 25 or so cymbals, and the remaining 75 or so bizarre stuff, tambourines, cowbells, hoots and hollers, etc. Feature: Not incredibly feature laden, but hey you're only paying like 2 benjamins on this bad boy right? You can create custom kits, etc to suit your needs, beef up reverb, change pad sensitivity, thats about all youll ever need usually. Quality: Yeah this thing is made pretty well, i have had it over a year and beat on it relentlessly going against everything the instruction manual says and it still rocks hard Value: This thing is pretty well worth your money if you are starting or you have a big big big acoustic drumset like i do and want something smaller to dink around with Manufacturer Support: never needed any The Wow Factor: I have it, and i think i will probably be upgrading to a full kit electronic setup from roland Overall: The bass "pedal" on this guy is really what gets my goat, it basically sucks and i get double triggers and stuff all the time if i don't take my shoe off, which can be incovenient major as Zenon, girl of the 21st century would say

Yamaha DD55 Drum Pad Customer Review submitted October 10, 2004

Overall
Sound: The sound is clear Feature: The features will fit to your needs Quality: I've had mines for five years and it still works like it is brand new

"This drumkit is an awesome little machine." submitted April 24, 2004

Overall
Music Style: rock, metal, weird stuff nobodys ever heard of
Sound: These drums definitely sound awesome through a good set of headphones Ive had mine for like 2 years and it still rocks the house everytime I plug it into my amp. I never use the speakers onboard beacuse they sound muffled and distorted. but if you plug in the phones or an amp, you will be pleasantly surprised. Feature: mine didnt come with a stand or a carry case or a power supply but it did come with some low end sticks that I promptly replaced. the pedals work great the hi-hat works way above my expectations, and the bass drum sometimes hits doubles and triples which is annoying sometimes, but can sound awesome at other times. also you can put any drum on any pad. you can turn your hi-hat pedal into a bass drumm and have double bass!! or you can move your hi-hat to any poad on the kit and the pedal will still open and close it! its sweet. Quality: I bang so hard on thes drums I thought my sticks were gonna break. It is very durable. the only reason i rate it a nine, is because the bass pedal malfunctions occasionally, but not bad or often enough to ruin the whole package Value: I think this product is awesome. I bought it out of a catalog and hit gold. I love it. Manufacturer Support: I have never had a problem where support was needed. The Wow Factor: I think it looks pretty cool, its not plain looking at all. it kinda looks like a toy which makes alot of people hesitate purchasing one. but once you get used to it you will like it. Overall: If it got lost or stolen I would definitely replace it. I expect to be jamming on this kit for a long time. I mean you can take a small 10 or 15 watt amp and your drums anywhere and set up in 30 seconds! i origionall bought mine for use in my dorm room but now i take to me friends house or on road trips or wherever.

"You'll be surprised!" submitted June 1, 2007

By a customer from earthlink.net
Musical Background: Professional musician, producer
Music Style: Yes
Sound: As usual, Yamaha comes through with propriety modeling; a number of great sounding, USABLE kits! Feature: The only reason this got an "8" is slight lack of routing; headphone jack doubles for recording output. Ease of Use: Really improves stick control, foot control! Quality: Sturdy enough for home studio work; I read a review where a teacher said they bagged the pedals to keep dirt out...I would recommend this. Value: ABSOLUTELY the best value in a usable, affordable electronic drum set: small footprint, some great sounds! Manufacturer Support: I dunno...haven't needed it for my keyboard or this product; guess that says it all! The Wow Factor: I own it! Overall: Even down the road, it's still going to be a great supplimental kit.

"short and simple." submitted November 3, 2003

Music Style: all
Sound: i like this my cousin owns one and it is so awesome. Feature: i like to play on it i am going to buy one because i am in a band and it is easy to carry. Quality: nothing will break on the drums it is so cool. Value: i think it should be cheaper. like $175. no less then that but no more the $210. Overall: it is a very good item.

"BUY... THIS... DRUM!" submitted July 12, 2006

Musical Background: Hobbyist, active musician, in a band
Music Style: jam drummer... pretty much anything
Sound: The sound on my 4 track recorder sounds like a perfectly mic'd drum. My only complaints are minor. There should have been more cymbal sounds. If you listen through headsets, they sound great. I personally agree that the sound is a little weak through the built-on speakers, but what can you expect from those things. I own a bass amp, and I plugged my DD-55 right into it like a guitar, and the sound is shockingly realistic. No buzzing or anything. Through the headphones or amp, the sound is a 10. Feature: Too many to mention, but here are a handful: 1) I've always been jealous of guitarts, because they can bring an acoustic to a campfire and jam away, and I'm stuck with just some lame ass bongos. This thing is very compact, and it runs on batteries. 2) So many digitally recorded actual drum sounds, your head will explode. Hand percussion sounds excellent, too. 3) You can plug it straight into a recorder, just like a guitar, and it sounds awesome on the recording. Not fake at all. 4) Get creative! I plug it into my guitar effects pedal for insane sounds. 5) This is the biggest one for any drummer... PEDALS FOR THE HI-HAT AND BASS DRUM!!! The ONLY reason I bought this is because I didn't have to hit a pad to get a bass drum sound. Plus, if you don't like the feel of the pedals it comes with, or if you want to play double bass with ease, you can buy and use the foot pedals that Yamaha sells for their full size electronic drum sets, and use those. Ease of Use: Plug 'n' play, baby. Manual is easy to understand. Move any drum to any pad. Adjust each pads volume, if you want. Very user friendly. Quality: I'll keep it short. It's a ten. It would be embarrassing to play on stage with this, just because it can never duplicate the look of a real drumset in the minds of rockers. But, every drummer that has busted my balls while I was plugging this thing in for a quick jam, has dropped their jaws when they see how realistic this thing sounds and feels. Value: You want the feel and sound of a real set, with the ability to take it anywhere and jam with your guitar buddies, now you can. Buy this. Manufacturer Support: I haven't needed any, which is a good thing. I've beaten the hell out of it for going on three years now, and still haven't had anything go wrong. The Wow Factor: Couldn't care less about the "sex appeal". I'm a drummer. Overall: If there was a 20 to vote on this, I would have. One word of advice that I cannot emphasize enough, though. People always complain about the sound out of the on-board speakers... give it a rest! Spend $50 - $75 on a bass amp, you cheap bum, and you'll never complain again. Before, if I wanted to jam at my friends house, I had to lug my entire set over, only to have to play very quietly, because it was too late at night. Now I pick up and go in a flash, and can play as hard as I want, and all I have to do is turn the volume down. I love this thing.
21 of 22 people (95.45%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Fancy yourself a drummer? No room for a full set? Buy this YAMDD55" submitted February 6, 2006

Overall
Musical Background: garage-bandleader, Funk-jazz enthusiast and part-time recording engineer
Music Style: Funky-Jazz
Sound: This product sounds incredible for it's price range. I found it to be a marvelous instrument for practice when I didn't have my full set with me. Of course each drummer has his own sound on the acoustic traps that is unique but that aside,this unit sounds like real drums! I borrowed from a friend's little brother to check out when I loaned him my keyboard. I play funky-jazz,gospel and neo-soul and I even see myself recording with this unit because it sounds so authentic. Feature: I would not expect this YAMDD55 to have anymore accessories and features than it has because of the low listing price. I wish I had one of these when I first started out learning drums because of the headphone feature. I started out playing the drums but my mom made me give them up because of the noise. YAMDD55 cancels out all the problems with noise with its headphone feature. Quality: This product appeared to be especially well made,and put together to withstand some rugged use. Unlike some other units I have seen and used, this is not toy! Value: Yes, see above comments Manufacturer Support: Not applicable. The Wow Factor: Guys, I don't mean to be redundant but,if you see the above comments, Yes, I want this unit. Overall: Yes, I would be satisfied with this product for a good while, I could use this for writing and recording with my own instrument. The thing I liked most about this unit is the fact I can carry it anywhere.

"Great for practice and limited studio use but not perfect" submitted February 17, 2004

Music Style: Drum Rock
Sound: Very good drum sounds, and lots to choose from. The hihat sound is usually mixed a bit low, but that can be tweaked if you take the time. Good dynamics (hit louder, sounds louder). Rolls get picked up correctly. Feature: VERY portable, which is great for drummers who are used to dragging around tons of stuff and spending time getting it set up. Just plug it in and you're ready to play. Of course you'll also need an amp if you're playing with others. Quality: Seems reliable, and pads are lasting well, but wouldn't go on the road - this is a practice and maybe cheap studio interface. Value: For $200 if you try hard enough you can get a real drum set used (starter set) or for $300 get a new Starion etc, which is better to learn on in my opinion. But if you want a very portable electronic kit with a Midi interface, its a great value. The Wow Factor: Looks rather dorky. But does the job.

When you call, mention priority code 12DM-CNYF. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976