When you call, mention priority code 1ZZ-N15S

Rating and Reviews: TC-Helicon Play Electric

Mash up a VoiceLive vocal FX processor with a guitar multieffects/looper pedal, and you get the TC-Helicon Play Electric -- a solo performer's best friend!

Overall

"TC HELICON PLAY ELECTRIC IS GOOD FOR VOCAL AND GUITAR FX" submitted October 7, 2014

By LF B in Philadelphia, PA
Overall
Musical Background: semi-pro/weekend warrior playing in indie bands
Music Style: pop, soul
Overall: I've had the Play Electric for about 6 weeks. I've used it solo at home and in rehearsals and a show with my band. I've also watched all the the TCH instructional vids (from the general overview ones to the advanced deep editing ones). This is a fantastic pedal for out of the box guitar and vocal fx processing. The starting presets that TCH devised are nicely varied and tweakable. With that new 500 preset mega download they just released, there's no way you won't find tons of usable presets for almost any style of music. My favorite thing about this pedal is the vocal harmony options. The pedal really does a great job of following your guitar progression and providing interesting harmonies based on the chords you're playing. I also play bass (where you don't get clear harmonic information while playing) and often set the keys I'm playing in in the pedal beforehand. The vocal harmonies I get back using that approach are fantastic too. It's cool that they have 3 variations each of major/minor harmonies that you can set/change. I can spend all day just trying different settings with the harmonies alone. The guitar FX and amp sims are pretty cool, too. There's great variety and (again) everything is tweakable. If you're looking for a certain band's signature sound, you're likely to find it well reproduced in the presets. I'm really impressed. Where this pedal disappoints is with the looping functionality. I've used loopers in pedal form in the past and the learning curve for hitting the RECORD and STOP footswitches in just the right places, so that your loops line up properly is just ridiculously bad on this pedal. It shouldn't take this long to master that and be able to nail it consistently. I bought this pedal for live performance primarily. Not being able to depend on nailing the loop timing is a big minus for me. The TC Electronic Ditto looper was easier than this as was the Boss RC3. I've used both and was up and running for performances almost immediately. Too, You only get 30 secs of looping time on the Play Electric unless you go into deep editing mode and sacrifice the UNDO functionality. Then you get 60 secs looping time. That's pathetic. TC Helicon needs to re-think the looper on this pedal from the ground up. I don't care how many 'in-performance' vids they have up showing folks using the looper on this, it doesn't work as seamlessly as it could. Though you can make edits to presets and store them at the pedal-level itself, the best way to rename, reorganize and tweak presets is via the VoiceSupport software by connecting your pedal to a computer via usb. I find that software very easy to use and a very helpful way to back up my settings and to really just get my arms and brain around all of the presets at once. There are potentially hundreds of presets to manage. So, in conclusion: this is a stellar guitar and vocal fx pedal with a good software interface but that has a shamefully underwhelming onboard looper. I'm keeping it for the former, but I still have my other loopers (TCE Ditto and Boss RC3) on my pedalboard. I was hoping to be able to downsize my rig with this pedal, but I can't because of the looping issues with this.

"Quality effects" submitted December 7, 2015

By Luke W in Barton, VT
Musical Background: Performing and recording artist
Music Style: Rock, Country, Christian
Overall: It takes a while to figure this thing out but the effects are high quality. For guitar, I run the pedal into my guitar amp. Works great once you place your favorite sounds where you want them. Vocal effects are second to none. I recommend buying the Switch 6 or you will be very limited on what you can control on the fly. Adding the Switch 6, you come close to the abilities of the big Voicelive pedal while spending a fraction of the price. If you are in a band with multiple vocalists, you may find that your voice is going to sound different than the others. It's going to be smoother with more tone and superior effects. That can actually be a downfall when you're trying to blend. Every vocalist in your band should have the same mic and this unit.

"TC-Helicon Play Electric" submitted June 30, 2015

By Mark Z in Riverside, CA
Overall
Musical Background: 45 years playing and recording music. Play multiple instruments.
Music Style: rock, hip-hop, country, blues, jazz, I love to boogie.
Overall: Great processor, opened up a catalog of the more subtle vocal affects we look for. Found so many great presets and created even more. Vocalists in my sessions group have purchased the processor after using mine. It's everything I expected in the first version and more. Simple to use in live situations and priceless in field recording situations.

"Voice Live Play Delivers what is says" submitted April 21, 2015

By Leo James in Terre Haute, IN
Overall
Musical Background: Song writer retired from traveling. Play locally now.
Music Style: Country, Rock, Jazz, some studio work.
Overall: I took the unit out of the box, hooked it up to a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 so I couldtest both, the amp modeling and vocal effects. It delivers on both counts. As with any processor you have to look beyond the presets to see what they can be made into after editing to taste. The unit is a singer/ guitarist tool. For me it is what i wanted and needed. I don't know about Wow factor or Manufacturer Support. All I know is whether or not it will help me achieve my musical goals and it will. It is nota Line6 or Boss processor or a Digitech vocal processor, it is a compromise of the two with practical features. I would recommend this product to a friend.

"This is awesome!" submitted November 19, 2014

By Chris T in Charleston, SC
Overall
Musical Background: Professional. While I may not be a "pro", I do get paid. And it's my only job :)
Music Style: Americana
Overall: The VoiceLive Play GTX was TC Helicons first venture into guitar effects like amp modeling etc. I was one of the first to get it. I have used it at 250+ gigs/year for two years now. While the amp models could sound good after some tweaking, the FEEL was not QUITE "there". In my opinion, the Play Electric remedies that. And more. It takes different guitars (Electrics and Acoustic/Electrics) REALLY well! I run it through a Bose L1 MII with a B2 bass. Don't miss an amp much at all. The vocal fx and harmonies were awesome on the GTX. Somehow, they are even better in the Play Electric! And with the guitar sounds caught up, I sound BETTER than ever!

When you call, mention priority code 1ZZ-N15S. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976