When you call, mention priority code 20M-HZS9

Rating and Reviews: Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Packing a huge sound into a smaller-bodied "parlor" guitar with a distinctive solid mahogany top, this GS Mini delivers that famous Taylor tone and quality.

"Amazing Guitar and Fantastic Customer Service" submitted May 23, 2015

By Rachel I in Peshtigo, WI
Musical Background: Newbie
Overall: This is my second guitar ordering experience with Zzounds. The first guitar, a Baby Taylor Mahogany, had to go back due to some manufacturing issues. The return process was completely hassle-free. Then I ordered this guitar. It arrived very quickly and well packaged. The look of the mahogany is absolutely gorgeous, and the construction is finished, smooth and solid. It is stunning. This guitar feels great to hold and play, especially for a short person like me who also has small hands. Even if you're a larger person, don't let the size scare you away. And what can I say about the sound? It's truly amazing. Mellow, warm and sweet with awesome projection and sustain. The other great thing about this purchase was ordering it from Zzounds. The guitar came in a Taylor box that had never been opened, but there were scratches on the bottom side of the guitar--something that probably happened at the Taylor factory. I was in love with the guitar and didn't want to return it, so I contacted Zzounds and they came to a very fair resolution with me. I couldn't be happier. I've been practicing with it for 1-2 hours a day. It's that hard to put down. If you've been sitting on the fence about whether to buy this gem, just do it. I don't think you'll be disappointed. A side note--the gig bag is REALLY nice. For anyone who thinks the guitar is overpriced, it's not. The construction of the guitar and the gig bag are impressive. And don't forget to humidify it! I'm using the D'Addario two-way system (formerly Planet Waves Humidipak) and it's working great. One pack in the sound hole and one by the headstock. A definite must in Wisconsin's crazy, fluctuating climate. Thanks, Zzounds!

"Small body, big tone!" submitted May 15, 2014

By Paul D in Duluth, MN
Overall
Musical Background: Semi-pro, playing guitar for 40 years.
Music Style: Blues, Rock, Alt. Country, Slide
Overall: I got this guitar for my 9 year old daughter to begin teaching her how to play. The build quality is fantastic and the sound that this guitar produces is way beyond what you'd expect from a small/ travel sized guitar. I would not hesitate to use this at a professional gig or recording session. The all mahogany body gives it a warm, snappy and consistent tone. Beautiful for strumming and finger picking. I love this guitar and I'm secretly hoping my daughter loses interest (not really).

"Review" submitted January 27, 2015

By Chris A
Overall
Musical Background: have played in several bands, recorded, and gigged for the past 10 years
Music Style: blues, rock, jam, jazz, funk
Overall: I play a lot of guitar and have played in gigging and recording bands for the past 10 years and I recently decided to shop around for a small-bodied mahogany acoustic. I played several before taking a shot on the GS mini and am floored by the quality, playability, and tone of it. The build quality is outstanding and the package itself with gig bag is great. The bag is one of the nicer ones I've seen. The guitar's size is great for plunking around the house or traveling obviously, but it also is great in band situations if you play longer sets or switch instruments from time to time. I find that the neck also, is very convenient when switching back and forth from acoustic to electric guitars. The ebony feels smooth and is extremely easy to play. I'm mostly an electric player and this neck makes it very easy on my hands. The tone is quite even and has a touch of the darker hog tone you want in a mahogany guitar. String clarity is even throughout and the bottom-end, while certainly not boomy or terribly prominent is present enough for low runs or bass note fingerpicking. With a heavier pick and strum, the guitar can "flab-out" some and buzz on you but that's easily remedied by lightening your touch (I think I experienced this some because I tend to "dig in" in a bit heavily at times). Tuning has been stable but not quite rock-solid. I don't know if I'll replace the tuners or not, they really are fine tuners stock, but I do like to mod every guitar I own and that's the only thing I can see helping this little guitar out. I also installed my LR Baggs M1a pickup in it and it sounds great through the p.a and install was a breeze since Taylor's end pin hid a pre-drilled hole that was the exact size needed for the Baggs' jack. After a month of ownership, I can honestly say this guitar is definitely the best gear purchase I've made in my 15 years of playing and owning several great high end guitars (The Taylor has taken a lot of playing time from my expensive '96 Guild JF30). A must-own for the working guitarist in need of something smaller. Also of note, The packaging by zZounds and Taylor was top-notch and the guitar out of the box and tuned up sounded perfect. No joke. I have never experienced buying a guitar, even in-store, and not had to adjust it for setup or anything. I also still have the stock Elixers on it, which is insane! I've bought high end Gibsons online and had to have them setup, get rid of the stock strings, etc before I was happy. Nice job Taylor!

"Taylor GS Mini Mahogany" submitted September 2, 2013

By Andrew B
Musical Background: Played guitar for 20yrs, couch strummer
Music Style: rock, folk, finger style-bluegrass
Overall: What can I say, this is a great little guitar. I bought this to replace a Big Baby Taylor I recently sold. My BBT was a 2002 model and thus had aged to a very nice mellow sound. I would say that the BBT was louder, but this GS mini has a more balanced tone. I played this model and a spruce topped at a local shop before ordering...the Mahogany blew the spruce away! Has a more balanced tone, and isn't as bright or twangy as the spruce topped cousin. The case is superb for a soft case, and I love the back pack straps. Has a thick +1" padding all the way around, plas a nice padded neck support. The neck is incredible as with all taylors with the NT neck. Its comfy and very fast and easy to play. The shorter scale takes all of two mins to get used to. The finish is a matte finish, not a huge fan, but it is growing on me. If it wasn't Mahogany, I would hate the finish. But I works well with the wood gaining. Mine came with an almost flamed Mahogany top...probably due to it being tropical Mahogany? My only gripe is the lack of binding. The edging on this guitar has a pretty sharp edge. Plus without binding it's not protected well. Not the end of the world, and considering the price point it's not unacceptable. My other grip is the cheapo plastic bridge pins...expected...but would have been nice if it came with Ebony pins to match the ebony bridge. I put some factory taylor ebony pins with abalone dots in and it looks fantastic. The tuners are ok, but could be just a hair better. I believe that they are a different gear ratio than the higher model taylors. I think that the tech that taylor has developed for the gs mini is going to be the future for parlor/travel guitars. I think if they could start building solid wood models with bindings and maybe their ES system, they would dominate all aspects of the travel guitar venue. Maybe make a GS Mini premium. All in all I find myself playing this guitar the most out of my collection. I have a Blueridge BR-160(favorite), a 1971 Martin D-28, and a vintage all flamed maple Goya Classical. The GS Mini is very versatile, and the sound just seems to be getting better day by day as I play. I would definitely recommend a GS mini to anyone looking for couch guitar, but wants something that sounds better than a cigar box with a neck and strings. Not much out their that can compete with the sound of the GS mini, as it sounds almost as good as my full sized dreadnought. LOVE the pay as you play option. Makes it so ANY musician can afford to get decent gear! Thanks Zzsounds!!!
24 of 26 people (92.31%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great travel guitar " submitted June 23, 2016

By Michael M in San Angelo, TX
Musical Background: Lead worship
Music Style: Lots
Overall: Had my GS Mini mahogany for a few days now... First I'll say: love the size, extremely playable and travel worthy. It takes a day until the guitar acclimates to my Texas weather, so I knew it likely wouldn't sound great till the second day, but after that it sounds great. Most of my acoustics are well over the 1k range, but I can't put this baby down, it's so fun & easy to play. Installed a LR Baggs Lyric pickup, and I'm blown away as plugged in, with the new electronics it now sounds better plugged in than my Martin and my expensive Taylor. You can't lose with this guitar

"Amazing instrument" submitted October 1, 2013

By Rod A
Overall
Musical Background: Learning for years...seriously learning about a year.
Music Style: Still trying to find my niche...I prefer country.
Overall: I have only been playing for a year and this is the third guitar I have purchased...and will be my last for a long time. After receiving the GS Mini Mahogany I was first pleasantly surprised at the case that came with it. It is a very well constructed and heavily padded travel case. But the best was yet to come. After removing the guitar I was instantly in love with the look. The guitar is...well, beautiful. After tuning I began playing and cant seem to put it down for any time at all. The sound that resonates form this little guitar is better than my full size...granted my full size is a $120 Takamine which is a good guitar for the price. It doesnt compare with the GS Mini in sound range or volume. I know I will be playing much more now. Its just fun to play this instrument. The construction, wood grain, ebony fret board and everything about this guitar is what I had hoped for. Thank you Taylor for making such a quality instrument at a reasonable price. I would highly recommend this for anyone, but especially for new guitar players that might be getting discouraged. This guitar will motivate you to play more because it just sounds great.

"GS Mini" submitted February 25, 2014

By Paul P in prince Frederick, MD
Music Style: country,blues
Overall: The GS mini is a good choice for a 7/8/small guitar probably one of the best available at this price. I thought this was an excellant guitar,has that taylor sound and the action was just right.,a few of the frets are not level but i will get them adjusted.

"Cant put it down!" submitted October 10, 2013

By Rod A in Global City, Taguig, AP
Overall
Music Style: Still trying to find my niche.
Overall: This is an amazing guitar! Its only my third guitar but I wont be looking for another one for a long time. The sound that comes out is better than either of my full size dreads. This is by far the best travel guitar on the market. This was my first Taylor guitar and when I do get another one, it will be a Taylor. Quality, looks, feel and sound through high mids and bass are amazing. The shipment from Zzsounds came faster than expected and arrived in perfect condition.

"taylor gs mini" submitted November 20, 2014

Music Style: blues finger picking
Overall: I like the guitar very much, it is just a little too small.

When you call, mention priority code 20M-HZS9. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976