When you call, mention priority code 1446-KL88

Rating and Reviews: Tascam MF-P01 Portastudio

Headphone output. Uses standard cassettes.

"long live cassette tapes" submitted May 29, 2008

Musical Background: musician, songwriter, recordist
Music Style: whatchamacallit
Sound: The secondary reason I got this little guy is that I like the very slight tape saturation as a natural compression instead of the brittle sound of going straight into a computer. Primarily it was because it is so easy and basic to use. But seriously, if you like analog warmth, this is the easiest way to get it (and the cheapest). I got mine as part of a package deal that included a simple dynamic mic and some decent headphones, and I recorded a track of just my voice and a nylon guitar all on 1 input. I like the warmth. Then I transferred it to a computer and turned it into an MP3 and this was within an hour of getting it out of the box. You can get multitrack programs free online, but nothing beats that natural tape saturation. Feature: I am being a bit harsh here, but I know this was not built with 'features' in mind. I think the designers probably figured you would do all your adjustments before input to the 4-track. No EQ, no FX send, just a straigh, simple recorder that lets you layer ideas. This is not a bad thing necessarily if you use it for what it was meant for. There are few ways to use it as a tool to get creative in your routing or anything. Just a recorder. Volume and Pan and 4 tracks. Other than that, the single input recording gets annoying. If you want to use any stereo sounds, or a vocal/guitar take at the same time (so much more natural feeling when you lay down a song) I would reccommend shelling out a few extra bucks for the Porta02 mk.II because it lets you independantly record 2 tracks at once. Ease of Use: If you can use a cassette deck you can use this. The only reason it doesn't get a 10 is that the LED for the input level is kind of limited so it's hard to get that exact point where it is only slightly clipping. It can be done, but it is hard to read easily. Quality: I worry about mine. Tape decks are fragile as it is. This thing is plastic. Doesn't feel very durable. I worry when I have to pack it to transport somewhere. Value: C'mon now... it's about 80 bucks to get into the world of multitracking. My first 4-track completely changed the way I wrote music. Even if you won't be making some kind of master recording on it, it will open your mind to riff writing and combining parts and it's just so cheap that it almost begs you to buy one. Manufacturer Support: I dunno. mine hasn't broken yet, but I am very careful with it. The Wow Factor: The price, the analog, the simplicity. I have other recording methods like CuBase and Audacity software, but sometimes its nice to just do something SOOO simple and hassle free. And it's so cheap it almost jumps out of the catalog at you. I'd get another one just to have around in case my first one breaks. Overall: Not the most sophisticated little toy by far, but worth the price. If mine broke I would be very sad and go get another one ASAP. I have no complaints at all. It is what it is, a cheap little simple tool for being creative. I worry that cassette tapes are going to go the way of the 8-track and the floppy disk one day, but as long as they are still sold I will still use them.
30 of 31 people (96.77%) found this review helpful. Did you?

Tascam MF-P01 Portastudio Customer Review submitted July 26, 2007

Overall
Sound: I sing opera and often need to sing with recording without instruments for clarity of tone and pitch evaluation. I then add instruments on the other three tracks (from other recording devices) for effect and support to get the total experience. This simple recording device is perfect for my purpose! Quite frankly, I cannot say enough positive expletives in this regard!! Buy this recording device - it is an excellent and productive product!!!! Feature: simple and sweet for my use as described above. I love the analog effect! You do not need the manual to make a great recording. If you were born before digital (I am in my mid-50s) you will appreciate the pure outdoors sound from the recording device. Just leave the laptop for word processing and the like. Ease of Use: ditto Quality: I hate plastic! But this unit looks and feels well made. My reel to reel Teac built some thirty five years ago was solid metal - I love metal! It will last. But, we all know the downside of yesteryear components that end in the trash bend because they cannot be fixed for lack of parts. However, I would estimate this recording gear will last for many years down the road. Value: Trust me - it is worth the price!
15 of 16 people (93.75%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"warm sound, easy to control, looks cool, portable, wut more can you ask" submitted July 8, 2005

Overall
Sound: The sound is pretty good, considering it is recorded on tape. Clean, warm sound, and inexpensive to buy tapes. Feature: It doesn,t have all the adjustments of bass, treble, mis, etc., but i think all you need to make a song is the volume level, pan, and input level. Quality: you get a great system. Its cheap and reliable. I dropped it acouple of times and lef tit in the heat, and it works just fine. Value: one of the best things a bought below 100 dollars. It is reliable and looks pretty cool. The Wow Factor: I put an 8, because i would want a digital recorder, but if you are low in cash, this is exactly wut i would want. cheap and good to go right out of the box. Overall: this is my first recording system. I bought it in high school, use it in college, and will probably use it even longer, because its so easy to use, and portable.

"If you've got too many ideas floating around and no where to put them, you'll love this thing" submitted November 27, 2005

Musical Background: 20 Years Guitar and Drums playing
Music Style: Rock, Country, Folk
Sound: Not bad really. There is hiss, but nothing too distracting. I think of this thing as a quick and easy way to get arrangements and ideas down. When I'm ready to record "for real," I'll book studio time, or scam the use of my friends digital set-up. Feature: No EQ, no levers (just rotating dial thingies), no noise reduction. If you don't have one, you'll need a line transformer to use a decent low impedance mic. Quality: Doesn't seem to sturdy. I wouldn't take it out on the road. I worry it will break soon, though it's so cheap I'll just buy another. Value: If it had an EQ and the ability to record on two tracks (or more) at once it would be ideal. Manufacturer Support: I've never had to call them. The Wow Factor: Not very sexy, it's very basic. Overall: I'm happy with how it performs for my needs: making demos, capturing ideas without having to fiddle around.

"read this" submitted February 15, 2006

By a customer from pascack.k12.nj.us
Music Style: inde
Sound: the sound is one that you would expect, from a 100$ recorder, but i have had it for about 3 years and i have had no problem with it and, it has been a wonderful starting point in my recording experience. Feature: it is a very simpile prodect Quality: 3 year s and counting Value: this product is more then worth the price. i would be willing to pay more for it Manufacturer Support: never really needed but i know that tuscun is a very helpful brand The Wow Factor: it is very plain Overall: it was a very good starting point for me and that best that it could be but i fell that i must moive up to a more advanced peace of equment.

When you call, mention priority code 1446-KL88. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976