When you call, mention priority code 176J-68MW

Rating and Reviews: Tascam DR-40 Recorder

High-quality recording -- to go! The DR-40 packs adjustable stereo condenser microphones, XLR mic/line inputs, and 4-track recording at up to 96 kHz/24-bit.

"I really like the DR-40 so far!" submitted November 28, 2011

Overall
Musical Background: Mainly guitar/vocals and a bit of everything else. Mostly home recording these days.
Sound: I have been very happy with the sound so far. Feature: The XLR's are a great addition. I was prepared to purchase the DR07mkII when I saw this one. It doesn't appear you can set the XLR levels individually. That would be a nice addition. The line in allows you to hook your mixer's balanced outputs into the XLR jacks....this opens up a whole new set of options. Ease of Use: The menus are fairly intuitive. I have checked out the manual for some items, but I think most people could figure out the basics by playing around with it, as I did. Quality: The DR40 seems reasonably well made. It seems like it could last awhile, although it IS mostly plastic. I would say it is comparable or better to other units of this type and price point. Value: I would compare this one to the Zoom H4N. There are pros and cons to each, but for my personal needs, the Tascam had what I wanted at around $100 less. The unit is worth the price. However, if you want a longer USB cable, windscreen, desk tripod, carrying case, or any other accessories, you have to pay extra for them. And they aren't cheap. ($30 for the power supply, $50 for the "dead cat") Manufacturer Support: I have not dealt with the Tascam support and therefore cannot rate it. The Wow Factor: If you are looking for a portable digital recorder with a lot of options, this should definitely be a model to consider. Overall: If something happened to this one, I would definitely want to get another one.
31 of 32 people (96.88%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Dependability issues" submitted December 20, 2012

By Drew D in Boston, MA
Musical Background: hobby
Overall: I love the features and sound quality and simplicity of use. However, the dependability of this unit is not good. The output jack stopped working just before the 1yr warrantly expired, paid them $50 of labor to fix it. Now the warranty is expired and the unit stopped powering on all together. I can't justify spending more money on it to get it repaired. So I'm $250 into it and it won't even power on so I can use it. I am seriously disappointed with this purchase, and would not recommend it to anyone I know.

"Tascam DR-40 Portable Digital Recorder" submitted August 25, 2014

By Kenny G in Auburn, CA
Musical Background: I play an iPod
Music Style: I am a Voice Actor
Overall: Super item with great features. I also have a DR-05 and love 'em both. Got the DR 40 because of Phantom power ands XLR inputs. My only grip is with both units using the built in Pres have very very low gain.Especially with my low gain RE-20 So i use a Cloudlifter CL-1 (another great product I bought from zZounds) to boost the gain and it works great. Real good stuff !!!!!! Thanks you zZounds for Play n Pay and your virtually over night delivery. ..... SO THERE !!!

"Great little recorder" submitted May 1, 2014

By Chris Immele in Kansas City, MO
Overall
Musical Background: Over 40 years as professional guitarist, bassist, band leader
Music Style: Soulful Blues, rockabilly, jazz, gospel, country...whatever
Overall: Have had the DR-40 for a month and am impressed so far. It was recommended by a friend in the AV biz so I'm not surprised at all. Great features many of which I've not used yet but I'm still learning the unit. I was also VERY impressed at how quickly I received my $25 rebate...wow! Never received any rebate within two weeks of sending it in. Top quality product and service!

"High quality recorder" submitted May 15, 2012

By Lawrence Boots in West Covina, CA
Musical Background: Drummer/Percussionist, 30Years
Music Style: Classic Rock, Blues, Rrogressive Rock
Overall: This thing works great! Very good quality recordings through the built-in condensers, and the line/mic inputs are great too. I use the external mike inputs to check the miking of my drum kit. (very useful as there isn't always someone to play it for me while I listen from the back of the venue). I did have to spent some hours reading the manual and learning the menus, but it's a high quality tool and does everything it claims. it was worth every penny.

When you call, mention priority code 176J-68MW. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976