When you call, mention priority code 1763-ZHLJ

Rating and Reviews: Tascam DP-008 Recorder

Capture CD-quality audio with the Tascam DP008, a portable device that's perfect for stress-free recording on the go.

Overall

"Amazing Recorder for your ideas and songs, sound is spectacular." submitted February 18, 2011

Musical Background: songwriter, recording artist
Music Style: indie, blues, rock
Sound: This thing is amazing, great sound, power, production, build everything about this product is great. Just the sound alone from the external mics is better than any 4 track tape you could ever mix. Feature: Yes sd card and manual, I had to buy the power adapter but well worth it. If you like stripped down recording basic sounds and clean crisp digital real time recording this is your guy. I dont like all the bells and whistles of some other products, cheesy sound effects is not what im after a great recording is and this product delivers. Ease of Use: I recorded four songs in two hours. Yet to mix but I just had so many ideas flowing knowing how easy i could record. The manual is easy to read. All inputs are great and all knobs and buttons feel and look and respond well. Quality: Great, I would get some kind of soft case for it, but this thing is well made. Value: Great Value for the price and zzounds makes it affordable with 4 payments if you purchase 250 worth or more. glad i came here, glad i have this recorder The Wow Factor: I will sleep with this thing lit up by my bed hopefully my wife does not get mad Overall: This thing is just bad As@ plain and simple get it if you want to record your songs and ideas.

"Love it as much as my old Tape 4 track- That's saying a lot." submitted March 8, 2010

Musical Background: indie extrordinaire
Music Style: indie extrordinaire
Sound: One of the easiest, best sounding recorders I have ever used. Cuts A LOT of mic set up/ cable moving time out of the equation if you are simply trying to get a quick demo or jam session with friends recorded. It sounds very balanced and clear, amazingly is not too "digital" sounding- not harsh, kind of warm. I love the built in stereo condensors, 8 tracks, reverb and eq possibilities. I hav'nt really tried to use other condensors or other high quality mics yet, but from what I have used, this is one of the best digi-recorders of this generation. when working on something new with my buds, we can quickly get a Quality stereo recording of the room sound as a skecth pad. For multi-track uses- I can just switch from guitar, to bass to percussion to drums to vocals using the same on board mics/8 tracks. Couldnt be more simple. Feature: did not include the AC power supply- had to order seperately- kind of a pain. Runs on 4 AAs though. Comes with 2gb sd card, get one with more memory, The one it comes with will quickly run out. You need good audio software on your computer to sort all of your master recordings. Has just what you need. Great input/output possibilities. Ease of Use: Very, very easy to get it sounding good, not much adjustment needed, inputs have various options. Manual- very very good, If you have used digital multitrackers before, this will be a breeze. Good for indie rock. Quality: Tascam has a great history of putting out some great multi-trackers (I still have a tascam 4-14 4 track that I have used for 15 years) It is digital- we will see how the computer holds up- handle with care, nice and compact. Value: would have been better if power supply and more memory were included. Manufacturer Support: no idea The Wow Factor: VERY VERY easy to use. every musician/ songwriter needs one. Not much bells and whistles to fiddle around with- just think about your music. Overall: I just hope the brains of this thing hold up.
63 of 65 people (96.92%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"If your thinking about it, just do it." submitted February 9, 2011

Musical Background: Active Musian
Music Style: Rock, Country, Alternative
Sound: The sound of the Tascam DP-008 pocketstudio is as I would expect from Tascam. I use Boss Vocal and Guitar processors with the Built in Effects. Feature: The 8 tracks to record on and the Punch In feature are easy to work with. Ease of Use: Very easy to use. For years I recorded with the Teac 3340s and 3440 4-track recorders. This is much easier to lay down tracks. Quality: The unit has performed perfer so far. Value: The price is reasonable for the features you get. People have said my Demos sound like they were recorded in a professional Studio. If you can't sound good with this unit, find youself another field to get into. Manufacturer Support: Tascam has been around for many years as long as I can remember. The Wow Factor: Technical Marvel may be a good discription. Overall: I have no reason to look for anything else at this time. It does everything I need it to. I use it to make my own Backing tracks for my group and they sound great as far as I'm conserned.

"Love this little unit!" submitted April 20, 2012

By D N in Carbondale, IL
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing guitar for 40 years, 28, professionally.
Music Style: Most rock-related facets of music.
Overall: I love this little unit! I already have a 2488mkll, but I moved to a small space and needed a really small temporary "studio," and the DP-008 fits the bill perfectly. I also own a DR-07, and used a 688 Midistudio for years and years, needless to say, I love Tascam gear!I bought the power supply as was recommended by other reviewers, but the fact that you can take this unit anywhere is awesome! I'm very impressed that as small as the unit is, you can still easily operate all of the knobs and controls. It's a very well engineered piece of gear. Buy it!

"zZounds and Tascam are a perfect match. Thank you" submitted October 17, 2011

Musical Background: percussionist, Bongos,congas
Music Style: afro cuban, african
Sound: Words can't explain how much I love the Tascam recorder. When I got this message I had just finish with the recorder. I can really express myself well with the Tascam digital recorder. May God bless zZounds for allowing me to get this product and make payments while I use it. As soon as I finish paying for the Tascam recorder I'm gonna buy a PA system so that I can go out and perform my new musical creations. You have't heard the last of me. Peace and blessing to all the staff at your store. Love Gregory Norflee

"Easy to Use Recorder" submitted June 5, 2012

By Arjun Kaul
Musical Background: Professionally since 2004
Music Style: Rock, Metal, Classic Rock, RocknRoll, Funk, Symphonic
Overall: I have been a PC based audio producer musician since 2002 and frankly have HATED recording with PCs.Troublesome interfaces, system crashes, latency, non-portability etc etc. And last but not least, that annoying fan noise and AC hum that creeps into every recording. I was just dying to find a way to get out of PC based recording.I was looking for an easy and painless way to be able to make my music and songs without the hassle of using a computer or laptop.Portability is also imprtant to me because I know that the size and type of a room affects the way your voice and instruments will sound. So i needed to be able to take my recording setup anywhere I wanted to.I needed a portable studio.I was able to record a full song with harmonies, guitar solos etc using just the internal microphones within 5mins of opening the box.The quick start quide helped me do this. In fact, all you really need to read is the quick start guide which is right in the beginning of the manual. You'll easily be able to figure out all the other functions and options on your own once you read the first 5 pages.The guy who said it's intuitive is right. Its a VERY intuitive device. All the things you need to use while recording are provided right in front of you.Here are my initial findings:+ Ease of use. This is already covered well by the others. Power up and you're recording. This is the BEST feature of this device. You can record songs very fast.+ Build quality. Good construction. NOT all metal but reasonably sturdy. Not cheap plastic either. Knobs are rubberized which means they wont break and are easy o rotate. Also the device has a good bit of weight. Which means it HAS something substantial in it. I'd suspect any device that's too light. Mind you this isnt heavy. It has a good weight for its size.+ Size. Its way smaller than an ipad and about the same size as a small tablet. Its like a palmstop studio.+ Knobs! After years of using a PC for recording, you'll LOVE the feel of tweaking knobs.+ Inbuilt mic quality. VERY good mics. You can adjust sensitivity (Lo/Hi) which is another bonus+ Phantom Power - Workd like it should and makes for endless possibilities. Hook up a nice large diaphragm condenser mic and you're talking serious stuff. For people on a budget I recommend Rode NT1A Anniversary Vocal Condenser Microphone Package+ Battery operation. I use four rechargeable NiMh cells and it works like a charm. I prefer this over using adapters and power supply units. I dislike clutter and unnecessary wiring. It's annoying!+ Battery life. Using just the internal mics, you can use this for a long long time. 4+ hours for sure. I haven't tried this with phantom power. Will try that and get back to this review.+ Tuner and Metronome ready. Both accessible at the touch of a button on the front.+ Sound quality. Crystal clear. CD/Studio grade no doubt.+ Reverb. Doesn't sound cheap like a lot of other effects processors out there. Very good quality reverb. And you can choose from a few different types.+ Look. It looks very cool. Has a very well thought-out design with well matched colors. It's important to ME :pThis unit doesnt really have any obvious negatives. Here are some requests to Tascam for a future firmware update:> More effects like compression and mastering gates and expanders. This is so that we can just mixdown the whole record with NO need for a PC. Basically i mean complete onboard mastering and compression.Right now, I mix down all the tracks and then mix and master them on the PC. I get the best results this way.COMPRESSION and LIMITING is badly needed. Just the inclusion of a soft limiter can make a massive difference in the sound of your recordings.> Recording direct to wave. I really don't know why Tascam records in its proprietary format in its own file system after which you need to export your recordings to WAV format. I can live with this too. It doesnt take super long to mixdown and its a great excuse to go take a break. If there was a means for on-board mastering and more mixing effects like compression and parametric EQ the current setup would work just fine. Maybe I'm just being greedy.> Allow for 24bit recording. Presently it is fixed at 16bit.> Provide mp3/ogg supportTips:1. To make the most of the recordings made with this unit, I would recommend exporting the tracks of your song and then mixing and mastering on a PC with any DAW of your choice. This way you can apply track compression/saturation as well as mastering expanders and the like.2. Get rechargeable cells. It runs on 4 batteries. I use NiMh rechargeable cells and I couldn't be more pleased. yes phantom power will exhaust them sooner but be glad you can even use phantom power on a portable multitrack device. I have an Envie Speedster 4 cell charger and it charges to max in 1.5 hours. I would charge cells maybe once a week depending on how often I used my Rode NT1A condenser mic with this. Now my entire performance and recording rig is mobile and clutter free. I also have a battery powerd amp the CUBE Street Battery Powered 2x6" Guitar Combo Amplifier which is quite good.3. Learn how to use the different combinations of external and internal mics while recording. I have been able to go direct with my acoustic guitar and also use the internal mics to pick up the sound. this way i have two channels of the guitar and mixing them together provides a nice robust sound. This way there are endless possibilities to getting the perfect sound.4. Understand that its the quality of the SOURCE of sound that matters and not the capability of your recorder. This means that if your sound source is rubbish, no amount of post production will change that fact. Learn how to POSITION the recorder when using the internal mics and you'll be surprised by the results.NOTE: I am putting up videos of my recording full songs on this device on youtube: /user/tascamdp008.In a nutshell, as an audio engineer and producer who's worked with all the latest DAWs and audio inerfaces, I'm 100% satisfied with this item and am glad I bought it. Of course it could have more features but am sure with some prodding Tascam will provide those in the next firmware update.In the words of Deep Purple in 'Smoke on the Water', with this you will be able to"Make records with the mobile..." Coz we don't have much time!;)"

"Buy this!!! Possibilities are endless." submitted June 2, 2011

Musical Background: Songwriter/Guitar/Vocals/Recording hobby
Music Style: Folk rock, Rock, Alternative, etc
Sound: The sound quality is wonderful. Feature: Buy the AC adapter. You'll regret it if you don't. On-board reverb is awesome. Ease of Use: The device requires a learning curve, but it's worth being patient, and figuring this console out. It does a lot for the money. Some things aren't user friendly, so study the manual, or simply transfer the tracks to a computer program you're familiar with - it'll be easier to cut/paste that way, and things of that nature. Quality: The device seems to be made well, but I wouldn't drop. Plan to take good care of it. Value: ...would have paid more, but glad it was a budget price. The Wow Factor: Looks sharp. Overall: I picked this product because it simplified my recording hobby. I was tired of dealing with "Dropouts", and sound card issues with computer programs. I'm still going to use Cakewalk, but only for Fade-in/out, plugins, effects, and such. This product allows you to tranfer files with ease, with it's built in USB port, and SD card.

"So Easy and So Good" submitted July 19, 2013

By Steve S in Miami, FL
Overall
Musical Background: Guitar, been playing 6 to 7 years mostly jamming at home on my own or with a small band
Music Style: Rock, Metal, Alternative
Overall: Since I got this thing, Cutting out a Demo is a piece of cake. Recording is cake. Mixing is Cake. Read the Manual and you'll be an all out pro. Get the Power Supply. This thing should come with it because it will kill batteries within like 4 or 5 hours. Its worth the money though. I was stuck between this and the 4 track version. I am so glad I got the 8 track. Way less track bouncing and much more recording, panning and mixing that you can do. The built in mics sound great to me.The metronome really helps you get great sounding tracks. I've been told the same by people that have heard my recordings. Get a bigger SD card though. If you're like me, we're coming up with stuff all of the time. You'll appreciate being able to have all of your material there ready to edit, and some backups, in case you mess up. The transferring to computer process takes a little bit but not more than like 5 to 10 minutes depending on how big the file is. Everything is really easy compared to my old Cubase.

"Tascam DP008 Get it, you won't regret it!" submitted April 18, 2011

By a customer from sbcglobal.net
Musical Background: Bluesman
Music Style: blues, rock, folk
Sound: It is the Tascsm DP008 and has several volume controls, all work, master output is great and built in mics work well,as well as direct inputs Feature: This is what I needed! Simple way to record my music and get it onto a CD or into a mp3 player! no hassles with complicated menus, just plug in and play! Ease of Use: Great manual (please do read it, it really speeds up the process) the effects are minimal, basic reverb, use you pedals to enhance your instrument recording. It's small size makes it easy to transport to any location. Quality: It's a Tascam, enough said. Value: I weighed what I wanted to do more than I did price. Other units might have added extras but i have everything I need to record a full band, guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, and vocal enhancements, so I did't need alot of extras. Price was excellent plus I have the option to make payments. Manufacturer Support: No need to so far. The Wow Factor: Just an alround great package. Overall: My only problem with using this product is .... I need more hours in the day!

"the tascam dp-008 is a great little studio. You can do a lot of things with it, also it has 8 tracks. It is the big brother of t" submitted January 11, 2010

Musical Background: hobbyist musician
Music Style: Rock 60,S AND 70'S
Sound: Take your time and read the manual. you can also hook up a wah wah pedal between the guitar and the 008 and so on, with other affects. Quality: It is built to last. I use it 3-4 times a week and also do a lot of erasing. Value: yes Manufacturer Support: I haven"t had to deal with them yet. Overall: I like everything about it. I wish it had more affects. YES I would buy another one if something happened to this one
12 of 13 people (92.31%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"The only negative thing I can say about this recorder if you want to take it as negative is that Tascam should supply the AC ada" submitted January 4, 2012

By a customer from att.net
Musical Background: 47 years/12 String Guitars/Professionally
Music Style: Folk/Folk Rock
Sound: Great for solo guitar players. Feature: For myself, I found the features were the greatest. Very easy learning curve as compared to my old Tascam DP-01/FX/CD. Ease of Use: This is a no brainer. If you can read the English language only prerequisite needed. Quality: I'll own it for quite a while. Value: Yes I think this product is moderately priced. You won't have to take out a 2nd mortgage on your house to pay for it. Manufacturer Support: Have not had to call them as yet. The Wow Factor: The Best! Overall: Yes if it was lost or stolen I would replace it.

"Mother's Little Helper" submitted February 3, 2012

By Mich S in Chicago, IL
Overall
Musical Background: Lifelong musician/performer, music and songwriter.
Music Style: Folkrockacoustic
Overall: I am VERY pleased with this purchase. The pocketstudio is user friendly and not difficult to figure out at all. Makes the amateur recording artist into an amateur professional ;). The shortcomings are that you get what you pay for. Something so small has limitations in sound levels. If you are using the pocketstudio for homerecording to get some tracks down before going into a studio, then this is exactly what you want. Only one track can be mastered at a time, so keep that in mind. You have to dump the files onto your pc before you can master another track. 2Gb is not sufficient storage, so plan on getting a bigger SD card right away. Notwithstanding the limitations, this little gem is a keeper.

"Very handy. Great for the price." submitted November 11, 2012

By First Name Last Name
Overall
Overall: I needed something to quickly lay down harmonies over stereo tracks. Importing and exporting is a bit of work, as with any small, menu-driven interface, but works well and is easy to understand. Do read the manual, get the AC adapter, and a big SD card for convenience. The built-in mics work well, though you may get buttons clicks in your recording when punching in if you use them. External mics work great with it. Nice that it has phantom. Flexible input settings. Easy monitoring.Watch the overload indicators. It's hard to tell from the level meters when you'll hit them, and there is no forgiveness in digital overload. The only thing I really wish it had was basic compression.

"Tascam DP-008" submitted December 28, 2012

By Jason Huggett in Killeen, TX
Overall
Musical Background: 20+ years. Ex-professional guitar player. I play for fun and like to record music these days.
Music Style: Metal, outlaw country, blues, and rock
Overall: Despite what other reviews are stating, I found this unit to be extremely difficult to transfer data to my computer, and I lost a bunch of data while trying to transfer to my computer, after several hours/days of hard work. I personally despise this machine (I have owned it for a little over a year); I would trade for another unit in a heartbeat. Next time I will shop for a unit that has the option of printing a cd from the board itself. I will also look for a unit that has more effects in it.While I was in my home studio, the play back of this machine did sound great. However, punching in and out was a real paint in the brain; it was easier and faster to just rerecord the entire song, rather than keep playing with this cheap software for hours and hours. Overall, I would not purchase this item again, nor would I recommend it to a friend. I am going pawn shopping today to see about possibly trading this piece of Tascam.

"better than its little bro. slightly." submitted November 13, 2009

Overall
Musical Background: pro stage and studio
Music Style: unique
Sound: very clear, very good. the EQ and reverb is a plus, but it's not like having an effect send on a mix board. It sure beats its little brother though. Feature: Cute little reverb application. Could get that anywhere though. Nice that it's built in, but a dedicated send would have been cooler. It gets points for the nice built in stereo mic. Ease of Use: Yeah this guy is a no-brainer for simple recordings, and has a very small amount of mixdown capability with the built in EQ, but not as much as some other recorders in its range that include compressor programs and such. Quality: It's solid enough. I wouldn't go tossing it around much but it can sit on a desk well enough. Value: BOSS micro BR, or one of those Zoom things are around the same price, with a lot more features. This is a BASIC recorder with the (gasp) bonus of a simple EQ and reverb. There's other stuff out for the same price, also with good built-in mics, that have a lot more possibilities. It does sound nice and clear though, and is easy to use. Manufacturer Support: No idea The Wow Factor: I messed around mixing together a couple of guitar parts and drum machine track at the store, and sorry, was just not impressed. It looks nice and sleek and streamlined, but that's about it. Overall: It just doesn't have as many options as I would like, and can find in other all-in-one recorders. If you just want direct recordings from the built-in mics and a tiny bit of sound manipulation (HI/LO eq + reverb) then I guess it's fine, but there are so many more intricate recorders, also portable, and with built-in mics, around the same price. It is very easy to use though I have to give it that.
34 of 47 people (72.34%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Great Product1" submitted December 27, 2010

Musical Background: Active Musciian
Music Style: gospel, bluegrass, mandolin, bass, country,praise and worship
Sound: the sound that come from this this is amazing! Feature: No I had to cough up another $30 for an AC adapter!! Ease of Use: I was making songs in no time with no recording experience at all! Quality: You can see Pride in this unit, they have me for a customer! Manufacturer Support: Not needed them The Wow Factor: Get one you wont regret it! Overall: i will keep it until I want more functionality. That day may or may not come but if it does I tascm is wher I would look first

When you call, mention priority code 1763-ZHLJ. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976