When you call, mention priority code 1ZQ-9GW5

Rating and Reviews: Squier Vintage P and PJ

This is no average P Bass. Lightweight, but thick with tone, this bad boy has Duncan Designed pickups and a fast maple neck to supercharge your sound.

Overall

"If You Spent More For A P-Bass, You Ain't Gonna Be Happy With This Review!" submitted April 26, 2008

By a customer from fuse.net
Musical Background: Active Musician, 40 years experience
Music Style: Classic Rock, Blues, Soul
Sound: It sounds like a classic Fender P-Bass. It shouldn't, for the price, but it does! Perfect for Classic Rock, Blues, Soul and Classic R&B. Feature: Not real crazy about the agathis body, but for the money, a great value. The neck is as good, if not better than the Fender MIM P-Bass. The Duncan pickups do a great job. Ease of Use: It only has a volume control and a tone control. It's a P-Bass...that's all it needs! I slightly increase the lows and highs on my amp's EQ, roll back the tone control on the bass, and I've got the James Jamerson, Duck Dunn, Jack Bruce sound. That's it. Simple. Quality: The Squier Vintage Modified series are very, very good. I also own the Jazz version. Fit and finish is very good, hardware is average but acceptable, the Duncan pickups are excellent. The VM series are passive basses, so no batteries to mess with. The P-Bass pickguard is not the best. The satin finish on the neck feels a little inexpensive to me, but very smooth and very fast. There is an ever-so-slight neck dive due to the lightweight agathis body. Value: Bass Player Magazine recently rated the Jazz version as the Best All-Around Value, and this P-Bass cousin is just as good. Manufacturer Support: No experience. The Wow Factor: Personally, I'm not a big fan of the white w/ black pickguard, but for the 70's vintage look, Squier did an exceptional job. This is a very practical bass for live play or recording and it also makes a great backup for any situation. I'm gigging with it tonight. Overall: Squier has everyone talking about their VM series basses. Good quality, good value. I am very happy to own the P-Bass and Jazz basses. I do own more expensive basses, but for the money and then some, this is one healthy bass!

"Excellent After A Pro Set Up" submitted November 4, 2016

By Kenneth F in Bullhead City, AZ
Musical Background: I've been Playing since 1968, Guitar, Bass & Keyboards
Music Style: Classic Rock, Southern Rock, Country, Blues, Surf, Oldies, & Bluegrass.
Overall: I received the PJ Bass in 3 business days. It was shipped in a Factory Sealed Fender Box, inside a bigger outer box. The set up job was not good. I adjusted the truss rod, tightened the screws (screws loosen in different humid or arid warehouse areas on all instruments). The action was HIGH so I set the action with the proper radius and got it right... The intonations were spot-on. The rosewood fingerboard was a bit dry so I oiled it. I found out that there was still a lot of polishing compound left on the fingerboard and I cleaned that off when oiling the neck. Then I polished the rosewood with some 2000 grit to remove any surface grime and surface imperfections and re oiled and cleaned the neck. Next, there were a few minor jagged frets, not real bad, but I polished the burrs off with a Stewart-Macdonald fret polishing emery board. I polished the frets to remove a bit of oxidation from storage. The nut needed to be cleaned up a bit and I lightly rounded off any jagged edges... The pickups were not at the proper height so I dialed them in. Now the Squier plays like a real P Bass and has no fret burrs or finish flaws... It's perfect now. Some say the pickups should be changed out, but I'm playing it on an Ampeg Bass Amp and I don't see the need to spend any more on expensive pickups. I don't have any hum. Surprisingly, the factory strings were good and I didn't need to change them. After being set up properly, it sounds and plays great on the Ampeg. If you put a good set up job on these Squier Vintage Modified Series basses, they are a good inexpensive investment for working musicians...They just need a little TLC and to be set up properly. A properly set up Squier Bass and an Ampeg BA115 Bass amp will Rock your World, and not your wallet!

"The new standard for entry level basses!" submitted July 5, 2013

By Derek G in Elkton, KY
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing at home and in bands for around 5 years.
Music Style: Classic Rock, Blues, Old School Hardcore, Post-Hardcore, Metalcore.
Sound: For a Squier, it sounds AMAZING! I play many live shows with my band every month, and I always get good tone out of it. Also, it is great for a various styles of music! Feature: Not many features, its a P-Bass. The Duncan Designed pickups really give a good tone to the bass. It does the job, and does it well! Ease of Use: Set it up and play it! Quality: As far as I can tell, this bass is very well made. I have been playing a minimum of 3 or 4 shows a month since I purchased it, and between travelling and gigging, it has held up extremely well! If you took the name off the headstock, I would not be able to tell the difference from a legit Fender. Value: At under $300.00, I can't think of a better bargain on the market. This bass sounds better than the Fender (Mexico) P-Bass that I paid $450 for. Manufacturer Support: No problems with any Fender/Squier product I've ever owned, so I can't say from experience. The Wow Factor: The white on black finish looks sick, and the Duncan Designed pickups sound excellent! Overall: I recommend this bass to ANY beginner, and even to seasoned musician's on a budget. Also, it would make a great back up for live shows if you have much more sophisticated gear!

"Four stars" submitted February 22, 2008

Overall
Musical Background: Whenever I can, boys..
Music Style: Pop.
Sound: Dull. Passive pickups. Feature: Controls are not very responsive. Not worth the effort. Ease of Use: It is a stick with four large strings. Quality: Get serious! It is a cheap knock off made in a third world country and sold for three times what they would pay for it. Value: Look, it is a low end bass. Don't buy a low end bass. Even as a beginner it is better to start in the mid price range. When I started I bought cheap. Dissapointment is not far off. You may even quit in frustration because you have a cheap bass and amp and cannot get the "sound" you should have. You will spend more in the long run having to upgrade. . Save your money. Buy something worth at least $400.00 and be happy. A clue, get an amp of at least 100 watts. 150 is better. Trust me. You will need the extra poop to get heard over the six stringers.... Manufacturer Support: They solved the problem alright. They took it back... Overall: Not much good can be said about any of the low end basses. Cheap wood, questionable pickups, poor strings...

Squier Vintage P and PJ Customer Review submitted April 16, 2008

Overall
Sound: It sounds ok I think. I dont agree totally to the other review on this page. Alot of people cant really see past their nose when it comes to instruments. If you think it sounds a bit dull its probably because you have not set your eq right on your amp. As for using a highter watted amp I agree but dont jump in anp buy a big expensive amp, your looking for an amp thatb provides plenty of low end at high volumes. Feature: It lokos really nice and is light weight Ease of Use: Now Instead of playing with this bass and not liking the sound and throwing your toys out of the pram and braking your back with expense and buying a really expensive guitar, you can do what I did. The wood on this guitar is good, dont let anyone tell you otherwise, I took the pickup out and replaced it with an EMG-P active pickup. because I was changing to active I had to change the pots and wiring too. I bought a thicker pick guard and use Elixer or ernie ball strings. A gotoah bridge and gotoh machine heads. I use an Ashdown electric blue 15" bass amp 180 watts, sounds great and i DI the amp straight into a mixing desk. his bass now sounds better than a a vintage 900 pounds fender P Bass and all for a total price of 150 pounds. Quality: Great Value: Cheap and cheerfull - Never goes out ot tune Manufacturer Support: N/A

When you call, mention priority code 1ZQ-9GW5. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976