When you call, mention priority code 1734-D50V

Rating and Reviews: Squier Affinity Strat

Get started right with the Affinity Series Strat, the ideal guitar for young players and first-time rockers.

"Great guitar for the price!!!" submitted April 12, 2009

Overall
Musical Background: Hobbist (for now)
Music Style: Rock, Alternative, A little Punk
Sound: I usually play rythem when it sounds great, but if u just use the bridge pickup it can get a little twangy sounding.(FYI I use a Marshall MG15 DFX amplifier) Feature: I think that for the price they did a great job with everything. Ease of Use: This guitar is pretty easy to use but sometimes the tone nobs don't make much of a differance even if thts the only pickup your using but having an ok amp can help with that. Quality: The finish on my guitar is great and hasnt worn at all even though I've put a bunch of use into it. I have heard some complaints about the frets sticking out to much on the fingerboard that can really be brutal after a while, but mine is great. Value: I think for the price its the best you can get. Manufacturer Support: Havent called them but this website has some great customer service. Ive only emailed them and they have been great. The Wow Factor: It has the classic stratocaster look without the price. Overall: I think for the price this is a great guitar, but as I said earlier it is only good for begginers and once you get better you are probably going to want a better guitar.

"Very good if you Mod it correctly." submitted June 3, 2007

Musical Background: Been playing for 7 nearly 8 years,
Music Style: Hard Rock, Metal, Prog,
Sound: With the stock pickups the sounds was not at all that great for the music i play. Hard Rock/Metal, I needed something which could give me a better sound suited to a lot of metal bands. Mine is about 7 years old now and everying is working great. I replaced the pickups with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail at the bridge and a Dimarzio Crusier at the neck. This guitar is now a beast! It sounds incredible. With the Crusier at the neck you get a really nice vintage strat esque tone that gives an original Fender American series a run for its money. And the Hot rail is perfect for metal. Feature: Pretty good. For a budget guitar the features are pretty good. The tremelo i was surprised at how well it stayed in tune. I use it and abuse it just as much as i would a Floyd Rose and it stays in tune. TBH the reason i praise this guitar is because i modified it to my personal specifications. The tuners are now Klusons. The pups are all custom. The Setup is all perfect. Ease of Use: The neck is incredible. It is perfect for a beginner or pro. It is so thin and fits the hand perfectly. The maple fretboard is super fast as well. And the frets are very good quality with no dents or scratches Quality: Very good for a budget guitar. It amazes me it has lasted 7 years. I have other guitars an Ibanez and Jackson and i still use this and in some ways prefer it. It was my first guitar and i am still in love with it. Value: Very good value. I really like this and even though the mods i made cost more than the guitar itself it was still a great purchase 7 years ago when i first started to play. Manufacturer Support: Never needed any. But Fender are very very good. The Wow Factor: At first glance ppl look at the headstock and decide its respect value which is silly. A guitar should be judged for by its playability and sound not the name on the headstock. People assume squire are rubbish but i tell you. My guitar is better than any fender i have ever played. And im not even lying. It still looks great with a few dents here and there. Mine is orange with black pickguard and it still looks as good as the day i got it. Overall: I really like this guitar. It is perfect for me. If you ever fancy modding a guitar start with a strat. Turn a mediocre strat into a beast that will make purists spit at their vintage Fenders!
27 of 28 people (96.43%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN GUITARS TODAY!" submitted May 9, 2006

Overall
Musical Background: Been playing 35 years. I am an active musician.
Music Style: Anything but jazz
Sound: The pickups seem to have a lower output than regular Fender strats and sound a bit thinner. I like the thin twangy sound though and find it allows for more "player influence/expression" to come through. Because the bodies are not as thick as regular strats, the guitars are consistently lighter and have a real lively "springy" sound (unplugged)that also comes through when you plug it in. Feature: I has ALL the features found in every standard configured strat. The chrome plating is holding up/aging as well as my '74 strat. I like the grooves in the bridge saddles for the string to rest in (unlike original Fender Mazac saddles). Again, the body is thinner, less weight on your shoulders all night when gigging. I like the optional maple fingerboard over the one piece maple neck style. Would prefer the old style PU selector switch (easier to figure out when wiring). Truss rod wrench/saddle wrench/tremelo arm were included. It's a strat. Don't look for features found on other models. Ease of Use: To me they play and feel great! Very user friendly, much better than a beginner's guitar. Gets all the sounds every standard strat makes. As far as I know, there are no neck shape options available. If you like the '70s style C shape, you'll like this. Very light and comfortable to hold. Quality: Materials used are as good as any standard strat costing MUCH more. I have found that workmanship can vary from guitar to guitar though. The fret work on the rosewood necks are consistently better than that on maple capped, don't know why (rough edges). Sometimes the frets are filed unevenly (height wise)and cause fretting out when stretching notes, usually in the 6-9 fret range. Nuts are cut very well. Great wood finishing. Advice: Try 2 or 3 guitars to find the right one. Like any guitar, they need to be set up and that usually takes care of most problems that you initially experience. When made right, they're great. More quality control of the fretwork should be done. I've had no probs with reliability. Important note: The Affinity Strats "crafted in China" are made differently than those marked "crafted in Indonesia", different construction and parts used (why have a rosewood strip on the back of a rosewood fingerboard neck?). I've found the workmanship/materials of the China strats consistently better and would rate them much higher. Value: I'd put the Squire Affinity Strat up against any comparably equipted, currently manufactured standard stratocaster. I beleive that the quality CAN BE excellent and is certainly of equal value to a strat with the word Fender written on the headstock. Manufacturer Support: I do all my own set ups and have not encountered any problems that required using the factory warrenty. Take the time to select the best one from the selection the store/dealer has in stock. Because of the price or for some other undisclosed reason, I've found most "walk-in" places don't like to pull out guitar after guitar until you've found just the right one, unfortunate. For the beginner, any one will probably be just fine and buying "sight unseen" on the internet will not result in disappointment. Do have it "set up" soon after for maximum playing enjoyment. The more serious player will be more selective and be greatly rewarded for their efforts. The Wow Factor: I love strats and I love the Squire Affinity strats (made in China, not Indonesia)! Overall: A great buy! A great playing guitar! If you like the looks of '70s strats and want to save loads of hard earned cash, this is the guitar for you! I've had the "real thing" and think the Affinity series are as good if not better. I've encountered the same problems with the Squires as I have with the Fenders. Just like any guitar, you have to know what to look for and pick the best one. To choose Squire or Fender is more a matter of preference. Do you like higher or lower output pickups? Do you like it heavy or light? Staggered or flush poles on the pickups? You have to get over thinking that if it says Fender on the headstock it is going to be better. Squire will always have an uphill battle for credibility among profesional musicians. The Affinity series Strat (made in China, not Indonesia)is a well made, good sounding and playing guitar. And it's only $149.99! Suggestion: Increase the selection of finishes (LOVE the gold finish!)
11 of 12 people (91.67%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"squire affinty tweaked" submitted May 16, 2011

Musical Background: intermediate
Music Style: blues,country
Sound: the playability of the squire affinty strat is where its at., file the fret edges, through aset of vintage noiseless pickups, new set of strings and away we go. 41 mm neck,alder body slightly skinnier than a mexican fender which I like better, plays and sounds awesome, couldnt be happier. And zzounds is great,packaged and came out of the box in perfect flawless condition. nice guitar to hot rod to your taste. jerry z. Feature: great Ease of Use: easy Quality: quality control is superb Value: yes Manufacturer Support: zzounds is the best, I know Im getting new, not re-packaged The Wow Factor: red metalic with maple neck,sexy Overall: might want to soup up another one with lace sensors,the basic guitar plays so awesome when you upgrade the electronics man it makes you just want to keep playing.

"Good bang for the buck" submitted June 26, 2014

By Jim N in las vegas, NV
Overall
Musical Background: started at the age of 11 i'm 55 now so it's been a few years, mainly Guitar, jam at home and with friends
Music Style: 60's rock, metal, blues, just depends on my mood
Overall: I purchased it as a project guitar, I don't have the funds nowadays to spend a grand or more on a fender standard strat or to build a strat from scratch ( body,neck,tuners, pups and so on) Right out of the box it looked awesome in metallic red with the maple neck, the pick ups even though they are squire it will still sound like a strat just weak but that didn't matter to me I plan on putting in either Fender Custom Shop ’69 Stratocaster pickups or Fender Custom Shop Texas Special Strat Pickups, I already changed the pots to Fender 500k and black knobs, not sure if I will change the tuners the stock tuners they have no slop in them and they stay in tune, I did hard tail the bridge I don't need the tremolo bar to work backward plus it greatly helps keep it in tune and lessens string breakage. The neck was perfect no cheese grader effect from the side of the frets just nice and smooth, great action, I priced out all my parts I want to change out and is still less than a Fender mim strat even counting the cost of the guitar itself I will end up with a comparative $1000 strat for less than half the price. But right out of the box it is defiantly a decent guitar the only thing I would suggest is to hard tail it it will take about 5 minutes to do, if you don't know how to do this just search on YouTube " how to hard tail a stratocaster " your guitar will stay in tune a lot better and you won't be breaking strings all the time. Hope this helps if your looking for that real strat look and sounding guitar. PS if you wan't to get a Hendrix, Trower or SRV tones with out having to buy a bunch of pedals pick up a Peavey vypyr VIP series amp they have a ton of effects even the VIP1, it's on sale all the time around $99 very affordable and the volume dose go to 11 lol

"Fender Squire Affinity Stratocaster" submitted June 24, 2014

By Jim N
Musical Background: Playing 45 years
Music Style: cant just label one style, but i play a lot of 60's jams to current music
Overall: I'm on a tight budget and wanted that strat sound for playing Jimi Hendrix, Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughan and newer Eric Clapton.(i own a 2014 Gibson USA SG special and a 2012 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional pro limited edition) I saw this S.S.S. pup Squire Affinity at Zzounds for a hella good price and picked it up as a project guitar, I didn't want to pay $250 for a fender body and $250 for a neck then the cost of pups and hardware it would have been the same price as a mim fender strat standard. I opened the box on the squire the setup (china) was right on to fenders specs, the frets were smooth no cheese grader effect, the machine heads (tuners) are tight no slop at all and once I hard tailed the Tremolo Bridge it stays in tune forever and a day. So far I've changed the volume and tone pots to fender 500K ($7.00 each $21.00 for all 3) The stock pups are not too bad and you do get that fender tone, I do plan on changing the pups but I still haven't made up my mind if i'm going to go with Custom Shop Custom '69 Strat Pickups, or Fender Texas Specialâ„¢ Strat Pickups either way a set of 3 from fender is only $249.99 so the squire was right around $150.00 + $21.00 for the pots and new pups will be $250, my total cost to do my project Strat is going to be less than $450.00. If you are a beginner or on a budget like me and want a real strat I would say hell yeah pick one up. I love the metallic red body with the maple neck and totally stock this guitar this guitar plays very well and sounds pretty dam good

"The product is very good for what you pay." submitted December 29, 2005

By a customer from ntlworld
Music Style: rock and funk
Sound: I think the sound quality is very good but i do not rate this guitar 10 because of a problem i had with the tone stick Feature: The product came with the baic accesories but could of offered more Quality: It is fairly reliable but i have had some probolems with the tuning and tone controls.Perhaps they should be redesigned? Value: For its price the guitar is of very high quality Manufacturer Support: I have not had to contact the company. The Wow Factor: I really like the smooth swooping lines and the colour options (i have metallic red).It just looks cool. Overall: I will probably have the product for about a year before looking for new.I would probably get a fender as the quality is a bit better.

"great guitar is a squire fender" submitted April 20, 2008

Overall
Sound: This product sounds very good. It wouldn't be recommended for a heavy medal band, more for moderate rock. Feature: The most useful feature is the thing that changes tone. i haven't figured out how to use the whammy bar on this guitar yet. Ease of Use: It is a very good guitar. I can modify it to my taste at the flick of a switch. Quality: I bought this guitar used for 45 dollars with an amp, and I didn't know how old it was. No idea. Value: yes Manufacturer Support: haven't had support Overall: 5 years

"A few tweaks and hallelujah!!!" submitted February 13, 2007

Music Style: Rock, Blues
Overall: I'm a beginner and bought the Squier Affinity Strat on the advice of my cousin "String". He has played for over fourty years and started his career at eighteen years old playing with Ronnie Van Zant and the original Lynyrd Skynyrd band. Prior to leaving the music store, he had the guitar technician restring it with D'Addario EXL110 strings, lower the action, adjust the bridge and bridge springs, file the fret ends smooth to the fingerboard, and correct the intonation on several strings. "String" says it plays and sounds as good as any Fender Stratocaster he's ever picked. I wouldn't know the difference, but if it's that good to him after some minor tweaking, it's plenty good enough for me!!!

"Affinity series Straocaster by Fender" submitted November 13, 2006

Overall
Musical Background: about to start a garage band
Music Style: rock, metal, soothing, invigaration, anything i find that sounds cool.
Sound: nice sound, not too heavy but not too soft. Feature: whammy-bar, 5-area selector switch, 3 easy-to-adjust pick-ups, 2 tone knobs. Ease of Use: easy to use, duh. Quality: good quality for such an affordable price. Value: definitely worth the money, but could be saved for a better one too. The Wow Factor: great balance, easy playing, fun to mess with

"Please read this" submitted October 15, 2006

By a customer from ntlworld.com
Music Style: Blues
Sound: The Sound quality is alright but can be "twangy" and "tinny" Feature: Even for a standard strat it's features are very basic Ease of Use: you can hold it easily and you can just about use it for whatever style you like Quality: it was good to start with..... it is now 2 years old and has rusted a load on the pickups and ive had to replace all strings due to rust. Value: good value Manufacturer Support: never had a probolem that big to need to call them The Wow Factor: it looks great in red Overall: i would think if you wanted a basic guitar that didn't need to last too long this is the one. If you want a good wearin one.... keep lookin

"Entry Level for Sure!!" submitted December 1, 2013

By Lawrence K in Frackville, PA
Overall
Musical Background: 20 + yrs experience, currently jamming at home, have played professionally
Music Style: Rock, Metal, Classical, Blues
Overall: I bought 2 of these Affinity models for my sons (who are beginners). The other Affinity was a tele model and the review I wrote for that was very negative. I just want to make myself clear here that what I expect in an entry level guitar, from a "big box company" like Fender is for the guitar, at least, (at the very least), needs to be playable. You can give me a plywood body, questionable electronics, even flaws in the finish but FOR PETE'S SAKE, DON'T CUT CORNERS ON THE NECK! When I have to spend hours cutting fret wire, leveling, beveling, polishing, smoothing the back of neck, setting relief, setting intonation..........It makes this guitar neither playable nor a value. I can't believe Fender puts their name on this product.

"Great begginer or project guitar! Well worth it!" submitted August 20, 2008

By a customer from Giants4life.com
Music Style: rock& jazz
Sound: the stock pickups aren't very good but i'm getting some fender hot noiseless pickups and they sound great i've heard other strats that have them. once there in this guitar wil sound just as good and better than my friends guitars. Feature: the guitars stays in tune pretty well right out of the box. i am putting some grovers in it to replace the tuners in there. but other than that its great. the frets are nice with no sharp edges even though its a budget guitar. i am making it a project guitar. Ease of Use: the neck is really a great neck. its nice, thin and smooth. even my guitar techer whose been playing for 40+ years thinks it has a great neck. Quality: everythings nice and sound i just have one screw in the pickguard thats crooked but thats easy to fix. the finish is perfect its all even and glossy. Value: its agreat value and a great project guitar. Manufacturer Support: i havent had an problems. its made very well. The Wow Factor: looks good. has a better finish than some other more expensive guitars i've seen. Overall: i think it will be probably 3or4 years before i want something else. it sounds good and i a great deal. if i wanted something else it would probably be a tele or les paul. but this is a great strat and i think it would be a while before i would want a new one.

"There are other things worth the money. This is not one." submitted August 21, 2008

Musical Background: Active Musician/Guitar Repair
Music Style: Metal, Jazz, Blues, Fusion
Sound: Very tinny sound, too bright with no warmth. Basically toneless. Feature: About the same as any other standard strat. Ease of Use: The guitar is pretty easy to use. That is, until the tuning pegs break, the electronics go bad, the neck cracks. Which are fairly common problems with Squiers-especially affinity series. Quality: Don't get me wrong, I love Fender; but Squier just doesn't cut it. Awful construction, these will give you more problems than they are worth. Value: I guess you get what you pay for. Manufacturer Support: Fender's warranties and customer service aren't bad at all, but I have had problems with some of their other companies, namely Jackson. The Wow Factor: You can tell a Squier's a Squier. Overall: I did repair/custom work and sales at a major retailer in the US. During Christmas time, of course we get a lot of kids looking to start up guitar. Understandably, the parents don't want to spend much money on something the kid may never pick up. In this case (or in the case that you just don't have much money to spend), I would look into the Ibanez Gio series. Decent enough that Ibanez still puts their name on it (not "Gio by Ibanez"). They run from 100-200 bucks, and you'll get better sound, better feel, better quality. I hated selling people Squiers. I knew they weren't getting their money's worth, and I knew I'd have to be working on it sooner or later. If you have some extra money, I'd get a Mexican Standard. Just stay away from these.

When you call, mention priority code 1734-D50V. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976