When you call, mention priority code 208-RTYX

Rating and Reviews: Vintage Modified Bass VI

The legendary Fender VI 6-string baritone bass is reborn in this affordable Vintage Modified version from Squier, with three pickups and a 30" scale neck.

"Well Worth The Wait" submitted April 21, 2014

By Rex B in Lomita, CA
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing over 50 years. Anything with strings and frets, drums, percussion, sax, etc. Pro.
Music Style: Good. Don't like bad.
Overall: After waiting months to get this instrument, I am extremely happy with the quality of workmanship. The neck (once adjusted) is excellent. No dead spots. Fretwork perfect, no sharp edges, leveled and crowned properly! Plays like a dream! This is rare these days, especially on a low cost guitar. The fret work is far superior to two American made Gibsons that I own! Nut is cheap material but cut well and doesn't bind with trem use. The sunburst finish is very nice, which surprised me considering complaints I had read. Nice grain and a birdseye. The pickups sound great (and no noise!) and the electronics seem fine. Acoustically, it is very loud with a rich tone. Tuning heads hold tune and work smoothly. I will replace the impossibly crappy bridge and trem arm/collet with Staytrem parts, and the strings with LaBella flats. With these upgrades, this will be a fine, professional quality instrument. I've been coveting one of these for over 40 years (yeah, I'm old). I am very happy with this one! Thanks zZounds!

"Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI 6-String " submitted September 18, 2014

By Arnold S in Waco, TX
Overall
Musical Background: 30 + years of playing. I play guitar, bass, keyboards, & drums. I play semiprofessional.
Music Style: Rock, blues, jazz & fusion.
Overall: It was a blemished item at a discounted price. However the blemishes were so small that it took a couple of days to find them. I had to set up the action some because the low string buzzed. The grooves in the bridge had to filed to a deeper groove to prevent the strings from jumping out of the bridge while playing the bass. I also had to cut down the screws on each bridge adjustment because the screws were in the way of the strings. Overall I am very pleased with the bass. It plays and sounds great after the modifications. Great value!

"Beast of a bass " submitted January 24, 2016

By Kevin G in Brooklyn, NY
Musical Background: Went to music school/play in bands
Music Style: Metal, grunge, country
Overall: I've been playing bass and guitar for years and decided to buy this hybrid of an instrument. I'm in a grunge band, and the first show I played with this brought it down. A good 6 people came up to me after asking how my guitar was getting so heavy and how I made it sound like a bass. This thing pushes out thick, heavy sounds. Buy one.

"It's a bass, it's a baritone, it's got a whammy bar" submitted December 31, 2014

By Tom S in Philadelphia, PA
Overall
Musical Background: played about 9 years, 4 (Celtic) and 5 string banjo, bass, guitar, uke
Music Style: Jazz, rock, old time, Americana, Irish
Overall: This is an awesome bass/baritone guitar. Low strings as thuddy as a Beatle Bass, or more so. You have to get used to the switches, which is why ease of use must be acquired. Quick enough, though. Why I say "baritone, when you use the top strings, you can great sound chords from about the 5th fret up. Truly awesome. Oh, and did I tell you about the tremolo? Let me tell you about the tremolo. It's better than a Strat. You can "dive bomb" or do a "power climb." Finish is good, as well as the frets, tuners, and fretboard. Pickups are very good. Keep an eye on the jack. It can loosen, and you might want to upgrade that. For the price, there's noting that comes close. Pay $2K for the USA one. Or buy a Fender USA Strat and have enough money left to pay the rent.

"Good For Guitar, Not So Much For Bass" submitted March 13, 2016

By Jamie A in Houston , TX
Musical Background: 30+ years playing professionally
Music Style: Classic rock, Britpop, power pop, C&W, jazz, Beatles, '80s, '90s, contemporary, blues.
Overall: (Before I get too far into this review, I want to clarify that I owned a Jaguar baritone guitar about 10 years ago, and it sufficed for a bass guitar more perfectly as I could've hoped.) I play bass and sing lead vocals in a band that does an Elvis Costello tribute, so I was looking to replace my Jaguar baritone guitar (which, sadly, I no longer own) for visual aesthetics as I did 10 years ago. Thinking this would be an ample replacement (one more pickup and a pantload of bells & whistles the Jag didn't have), I went ahead and ordered it. Allow me to say this review is based on being a bassist using it as a "6-string bass", ~not~ as a baritone guitar. It ~is~ called the Bass VI, after all. Squier has done yet another cracking great job, and if you're looking for an E-to-E baritone guitar on a budget, you won't do any better. The quality of the build is superb, and, having seen and played vintage Bass VIes, my hat's off to them for the attention to detail during the reproduction. Now, on to my bad news. It doesn't do what it says on the tin, so to speak. As I stated at the top of this review, I used to own a Jaguar baritone, and it sounded like a bass with two extra top strings. It had the punch and warmth of a bass, along with the clarity of a guitar. The Bass VI loses the low end response as of the third fret (C) on the A string and doesn't give it back, regardless of the pickups or settings. It still baffles me as to how the Jag, with one less pickup and far less configuration options, out-bassed something that's actually advertised as a 6-string bass. They should bring ~that~ one back, lemme tell ya. So, if you're looking for a different guitar sound, or just something cool and funky to play, you could go farther and spend more than the Bass VI, but stick with the real deal if that's what you're expecting. (I wound up returning the Bass VI and getting the Squier Jag 5-string bass, which is what I should've done in the first place. Also, as I never had to deal with Fender/Squier customer support, they get 1/2 star, but not for any lack of help.)

When you call, mention priority code 208-RTYX. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976