When you call, mention priority code 157J-T3TQ

Rating and Reviews: Squier JMascis Jazzmaster

The single coil pickups and floating tremolo on the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster let you wail with torrents of tone like the Dinosaur Jr frontman himself.

"Better than an "ORIGINAL"!" submitted October 28, 2012

By Dave W in Redding, CA
Music Style: Rock, Blues, Country
Overall: I am amazed at the quality of these Squier guitars! Honestly, other than the name and some better quality electronics these are as good if not better than the American made products! I have purchased 30+ guitars of which many are collectables I have to admit my Squiers are as good if not better playing and sounding! The J Mascis is another "DREAM GUITAR"! TOTALLY UNIQUE IN DESIGN AND PLAY it rivals the collectables! I am considering putting in my custom JM pickups based on an 64 JM but am having so much fun with the "STOCK" pickups WHY? LOL These are basically P90's stock which sound AMAZING!!!! this is a PLAYERS GUITAR and the neck is BUTTER!

"Squire J.Mascs Jazzmaster Signature Model" submitted December 2, 2012

By Lance L in Jacksonville, NC
Overall
Musical Background: Since 2003. Guitar, bass, drums. Was in a band for 3-4 years. Now i just play at home.
Music Style: Mixed. Still learning
Overall: This guitar is excellent. A low priced signature model from a person who obviously understand what guitars are all about. The Jazzmaster itself is a total educational machine. Dual switching and toners and pick-up configurations is what makes this guitar a total encompassment of what guitar SHOULD be about. This guitar taught me alot about guitars, sound, and what it takes to make expression happen. The pick-ups are warm and the swtiching only furthers that expressiveness of jazz amp sound and thick and foggy presence prescribed to the Jazzmaster. This guitar is a quality EXPERIENCE. I play it through a Ibanez Tube Screamer and the amp is perfect as a starter amp and has the switching variables to compliment the switching of this guitars pick-ups and tones. The switching has some volume changes along with the tone so it's good to have a boost on your amp or an exterior boost/gain device. The pick-gaurd an excellent change from the regular white or tortoise shell gaurds. I personally hate staring into a wierd brown thing while i play so the gold is a must and i am just not into silver so it's perfect in that regaurd. The only complaint i have had is that the tremolo bar is not as solid as the old Jazzmasters is. It doesn't lock in the same way and if you don't pund it in it's not going to stay in there. I put mine in with a proper hammer(anodized) but you probably should use a rubber or plastic mallet to put it in there. I just did whatever was fastest and sure to make it stay. It can always be pulled back out but i just don't see it as the same without it. It sounds great and though it's a little, well, alot less responsive than vintage Jazzmasters it still responds effectively and the spring could be changed and i'm sure there's something out there to make the trem.bar stay in permanantly. The tuning machines are quality too. It stays in tune and i also recommend nut sauce for anyone who plays any stringed instrument. It helps the machines too and it really does stay MORE intune if not EXACTLY in tune. The pick up toggle switch is a little rigid but again nut sauce is the way to go to get an automatically worn in feel on that too. This is a beautiful guitar and a quality low-cost signature model suprisingly from J.Mascis. Most signature models are on the other end as far as pricing but this is definitly a players guitar and not a model built for show or tech over production or illusion. It does what it says it does and IT is it's frills. A true piece of history and an educational experience in owning this piece of electronic and musically atuned instrument. Comfortable and playable. Great neck shape and true feel. Coming from a person who's played on shred machines and vintage Fender's this guitar is fit for life and worthy of any player who wants to learn and know what they are doing and what sound is all about. A mentalists device and alot of fun. The Jazzmaster is not too heavy not too light and though the J.Mascis signature is inked in the headstock and is replicated it's still cool because this guitar has everything J.Mascis on his except custom paint and adapted tremolo. Good buy and good make by J.Mascis. I can't believe he got this through at this price.

"a notch above...." submitted July 25, 2013

By shad warrell in hemet, CA
Overall
Musical Background: 23 years of studio and stage experience behind all kinds of guitars....
Music Style: surf, blues, jazz, americana
Overall: so, I wanted to review the J Mascis Squier Jazzmaster and give you insights from my perspective. I also own a Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster which I'll use as a comparison. the first difference I noticed right off the bat was the packaging. greater care was taken in the factory box to insure the guitar was protected. there was a tag hanging from the tuner that indicated that the guitar was quality checked for both playability and cosmetic condition. nice touch. I don't care for the gold anodized pickguard and will be replacing it with a AVRI red tortoise guard, asap. I wanted this model over the standard Squier VM Jazzmaster for a couple reasons. one, I like that the rattly / buzzy standard JM bridge was replaced with a tune-o-matic style. VERY nice. second, I like the vintage white color as opposed to the Olympic White that the VM jazzys come in. the aged plastic parts are a nice touch as well. this guitar is really solid and played well for me right out of the box. I owned a classic player jazzmaster (MIM) that i've since sold as I find the Squier VM jazzmasters to be every bit as good if not superior for less than half the price. both my VM Squier Jazzmasters even hold their own against my 62AVRI Jazzmaster! I was debating on whether or not to spend the additional $100 to get the J Mascis over the standard VM and I'm REALLY glad I did. I've been playing for over 20 years and have owned some high end guitars. I'd have no problem making this my main gigging guitar at all. very solid value here... simply can't find a better value at this price point if you're in the market for an offset fender.

"Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster Guitar" submitted November 11, 2012

By David O in Kenton, TN
Overall
Musical Background: Guitar, bass, since 1959.
Music Style: Rock and roll, classical, folk, and limited country.
Overall: I always wanted a Jazzmaster since I played a friend's 62 model. The Squier is NOT a 62 JM, but it's build quality and sound exceeds my expectations. I hate the cheesy metal pick guard, but it is gone now. Watch the switch and the volume pot on the upper bout. It fooled me into thinking the pickups went dead.
12 of 14 people (85.71%) found this review helpful. Did you?

When you call, mention priority code 157J-T3TQ. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976