When you call, mention priority code 1434-FCKG

Rating and Reviews: Shure SM7B Dynamic

Capture studio-quality vocals with Shure's classic cardioid dynamic mic. A favorite microphone for hip-hop production, the SM7B handles SPLs up to 180 dB.

"Shure SM7B lives up to its reputation!" submitted December 9, 2010

By a customer from verizon.net
Musical Background: Recording Engineer & Professional Musician
Sound: The sound quality of this product is exactly what you'd expect. Professional, clean and robust. So far I've just used it on Voice Over and it has performed well. I recorded a little bit of vocals through it and I can tell it will be excellent at this too. I'm pleased. Feature: An additional windscreen was included that lets you get right up on the mic. Ease of Use: Meat and potatoes mic. I do wish the filters were a bit easier to adjust, but I understand why they are engineered as they are. It is to prevent someone from accidentally changing the filters/roll off. Quality: Built like a tank. This mic is gonna last forever. Value: I think the product is worth the typical $349 asking price, especially if you haven't already invested in a lot of other dynamic mics. The Wow Factor: Sexy Baby! Overall: I'll be satisfied for good.

"Upgrade your SM57 now... Great Dynamic Vocal Microphone" submitted December 20, 2012

By Robert D in Los Alamitos, CA
Musical Background: Vocalist
Music Style: Rock, Jazz
Overall: I own 4 Large Condenser mics, but they didn't handle the dynamics of expressive vocals well, so I went to the SM57 and loved it..... until I bought the SM7B... enough said... Genni is out of the bottle now, so can't go back. The SM7B is a very clear sounding mic over the SM57 and is a keeper. Using it with the Golden Age Mic Pre73 and a Focusrite 2i2 and have zero noise... Worth the money for sure.

"SM7 perfect for Project Studio..." submitted December 27, 2010

Musical Background: Recording Engineer, and Active Musician
Music Style: Folk, Alternative, Rock
Sound: The Shure SM7b is an everything mic. I like the flat response setting, but I love the fact that you can control the frequency response. It is perfect for the style of music I'm recording. We want a nice clear and accurate sound, and that is exactly what the sm7 offers. So far, I've used it on vocals, acoustic guitar, and snare, and I haven't been dissapointed with any of the results. When using it on vocals, there is a very nice proximity effect. Feature: I love the frequency response switches. That is the reason that this mic is so versatile. You can cut the lows, you can boost the sweet spot in the highs, you can leave it flat, or you can choose any combination in between. It also came with an extra, thicker pop filter. That was a nice surprise. Ease of Use: Plug the mic in and hit record, great sound no matter what. Quality: This mic has a thick and sturdy metal frame. I don't think I'll have any problems with this thing breaking down. Value: Before holding the mic in my hands, I thought it might be a little pricey. But from the time I opened the box to the time I plugged it in and listened back to the first recording, I knew it was worth it. Just looking at it in the studio makes you feel confident about what you're recording. Manufacturer Support: I haven't had to deal with support any, and hope I won't have to, but I like to think that a company that puts out products this good won't skimp on their support. The Wow Factor: It looks great. It makes you feel like you know what you're doing when you're using it. Overall: This mic will stay in my studio as long as I have a studio. I don't know if I can stand not having one now.
15 of 16 people (93.75%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Built like a tank" submitted October 8, 2013

By Purnash D in Jamaica, NY
Overall
Musical Background: Musician, teacher. Songwriter, engineer.
Music Style: Pop, rock, Indian classical vocalist.
Overall: The shure sm7b is just a beautiful well built mic.... It's very good for a high pitched loud singer like myself.... The settings in the back of the mic names the mic work on anything!!.... Just make sure u have a preamp with tons of gain and this mic will just shine!....also make sure u know why ur buying it!!! It has a wonderful tone and if you guys have a noisy neighborhood it cuts off background noise very well....BUY IT!!!!!!! U can't beat the performance of this mic with this price!

"Impressive and affordable." submitted April 16, 2011

Dylan from zZounds
ZZOUNDS CREW REVIEW
Sound: Originally designed as a broadcast microphone the SM7B lives up to its reputation of having a full and well rounded sound. The low end of this mic makes it especially ideal for male vocalists with deeper voices but I've had good results using this for female vocals as well. Being a large diaphram dynamic mic it has all the benefits of using a dynamic mic like less backround noise or signal bleed while maintaining the clarity you get with a condenser mic. Which makes it ideal for home studio use. This mic is also one of my favorite choices for guitar cabs and gets great results with distorted or clean tones. Feature: Shure includes two wind screens one large one and one smaller one. I've used the large one a couple times but it never seems necessary in a recording situation So mostly the smaller one does the trick. Other than that not much else is included other than the usual spec sheet and owners manual. The mic clip is part of the metal frame thats attached to the sm7B and allows it to tilt up and down which is perfect for vocal placement but was clearly not designed with other placement applications in mind. The bass roll off and presence boost both work as expected and are nice options to have though I'm usually happy with the results without either one engaged. Ease of Use: Plug it in. Quality: This mic is well constructed and built to last which is exactly what you would expect from Shure. I don't see myself needing to replace/repair it anytime soon if ever. Value: Worth every penny. Manufacturer Support: NA The Wow Factor: Looks great. Sounds great. Whats not to love? Overall: The Shure sm7B is an excellent choice for any project studio and a great addition to any professional studio.

"Great mic" submitted January 3, 2011

By a customer from sbcglobal.net
Music Style: Rock, Acoustic
Sound: This has a great sound. Very little/low self-noise. It does take a lot of gain, but I knew about that going into it. The only slight negative is that the windscreen doesn't negate some 'p' sounds from singers; I have to back them up a little. Feature: Nice selection of filters on them mic plus two different kinds of wind screens. Ease of Use: Very easy to get a good sound. It definitely sits well in a mix. Quality: It's a Shure. I'm not worried about reliability, though it will be kept in my little project studio.

"Clean!" submitted November 19, 2013

By Robert Jericho in San Antonio, TX
Musical Background: Full time musician
Overall: I bought this mic once before but it was before I bought a decent preamp, not a good idea. However, If you have a good mic pre, it will become more apparent when you buy this microphone. It's very crisp and clean but not two bright where you have cut a bunch of frequency when mixing it for vocals. Great for loud singers with lots character. It sounds great with the ISA one and the 610 solo.

"SM7B" submitted February 4, 2014

By William M in Corona, NY
Musical Background: Producer/Sonwriter
Music Style: All music but I mostly record hip hop & R&B music
Overall: I had this mic for a few wks now and the sound quality is just what I was Looking for in a mic.

"Best Selection For Home Recording" submitted July 4, 2012

By Craig Belton in Palatka, FL
Overall
Musical Background: 15 Years of Hip Hop, R&B and Gospel recording experience. Over 20 years of producing Hip Hop / Rap.
Overall: After doing home recording for 15 years, I have found the perfect mic in the Shure SM7b! I have tried many different mics from many companies and Shure has never been a disappointment to me and this mic has surpassed my expectations! I became interested in this mic after watching a YouTube clip on Bruce Sweden and Michael Jackson and the recording of Thriller. It tool a while for me to decide to buy this mic because I was sure I had and I did have a winner in the Rode NT1. However, I wanted a new mic for a new project and I decided to get the SM7b. I has great features! The way you can taylor the mics sound output is an excelent feature, but the most impressive feature for home recording is how it cuts out room noise. i run a loud wall unit AC with no booth next door to the city transportation depot and train station and I have to tell you that all that gets tracked is the vocals! The train horn makes it to the mix also, but I just have the artist to stop for a min. and BOOM! I get the cleanest mixes i've ever had. It's not the best looking mic but girls like it! lol! I have recorded all types of voices from male to female and some voices can be a challenge, but once you learn how to "fish out" the nasty nasal frequencies that occur with some voices then you end up with a fantastically warm sound professional sound that adds a real analogue fullness to you signal. I would recommend this mic above any other mic for home recording. Moreover, I don't use an external preamp at all! I get enough boost from the preamps in the Roland VS Studio. Absolutely the best solution for noisy environments.

"Do It! Do It! Do It! Because this is one of the only times in your life you won't be sorry you did." submitted June 24, 2010

By a customer from pjfusco.com
Musical Background: Broadcaster
Music Style: Political talk
Sound: Here's the thing: I do a two hour daily broadcast over the Internet. Soon it will go live to three hours with callers. I needed a broadcast quality microphone, and there are really only two choices, the Shure Sm7b, or the Electro-Voice Re20. I know there will be people saying otherwise, but I was brought up in the industry so I know from whence I speak. The difference in price is minimal, so it comes down to personal preference. The SM7b brings out the best in my voice which is rather deep, it files all the raspy edges off as opposed to a condenser which hides the raspiness behind a hot sound. Think of it this way: A high end condenser would be the voice you use to meet the girl, the SM7B is the voice you use once you get her home. Feature: There is an equalizer on the back with bass roll off, flat, and presence (think condenser wannabe) settings, useful if you're bored, but flat is where it's at for me. Ease of Use: Sound is what this microphone is all about...tons of pure, unadulterated sound. Quality: It's a Shure, what else do you need to know? Built like a brick s__thouse, you can be assured it will do the job for many years to come. Value: Are you kidding? All I can say is, compare, and then you will be satisfied it is an extraordinary value for the money. Manufacturer Support: It's a 6 because I haven't needed support, so I wouldn't know how good or bad it is. The Wow Factor: I don't consider anything inanimate to be sexy, and I don't get weird with gear, ever. That said, I did ask the SM7B to marry me, but she said it wouldn't work out. Look, it's a good looking mic, better on a broadcast boom. I see Dennis Miller uses an SM7B. Overall: I will remain satisfied with the SM7B for as long as it performs which should be longer than I stay alive, but I think I'm going to give the EV RE20 a shot too.

"Greatness!!!" submitted May 12, 2011

Overall
Sound: It really doesnt get any better or easier than this!!! The sound quality produced by this is beautiful!! It's simply incredible Feature: Everything included is simple and easy to understand. Ease of Use: Beyond easy. At the end of the day, your interface and engineer determine the quality of your mix but this mic makes it easier for everyone involved. Also, its as easy as plug in and press record with this mic. Of course when using a mic, you want to check your levels for each artist before recording but besides that, just plug in and go!!! Quality: Sturdy and good looking Value: A must have and a great bargin Manufacturer Support: No need. This mic is easy to use and sturdy so I havent had to contact anybody regarding it. The Wow Factor: Very good looking!!! No funky colors, it looks professional. Overall: I am seriously thinkin about buyin another for recordin multiple tracks at one time but that is the only reason I would need another any time soon.

"SM7b" submitted July 14, 2013

By Brad Engstrom in San Diego, CA
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing music for 30 plus years. Bass is my first instrument, then guitar. I'm currently touring with the English Beat.
Music Style: I've played Blues, Hard Rock, Jazz fusion, Reggae. I currently tour with the English Beat.
Overall: I use this on my singer's voice. It's very unique so not all mics sound right for him. I've heard great things about these SM7b's so I thought I'd give it a shot. Wow! IT's smooth response and bass roll off is just what the DR. ordered! He sounds amazing. After each show people say how great his voice was. Nice job SHURE.

"A versatile, great sounding microphone at an extremely reasonable price." submitted July 25, 2009

Sam from zZounds
Music Style: Alternative, Electro, Shoegaze
ZZOUNDS CREW REVIEW
Sound: It's hard to describe the "sound" of a particular microphone. Different microphones sound wildly different on every source. Even a microphone that is more suited to vocal applications will sound different on every vocalist. With that being said, the SM7B definitely has a fairly distinct sonic character. The microphone sounds relatively similar to an SM57, but slightly more mellow in the upper midrange with a bit more presence in the high frequencies (from around 8-10Khz and up). Overall, the microphone isn't as bright as most condensers (which is typical of almost every dynamic microphone), but is slightly brighter than, say, an EV RE20, or a ribbon microphone. Lower midrange is clearly represented, and the microphone reproduces the bass frequencies accurately when the bass roll-off is not engaged. Yet, the bass is not hyped at all, and the SM7B would not be my first choice for bass-heavy instruments (bass guitar, kick drum). The SM7B is suited to a variety of sources, and has worked well (for me) on electric guitar cabinets, bass cabinets (when I want to pickup more of the midrange of the bass), male vocals, and even some acoustic guitar applications. Overall, the SM7B (like the SM 57) is a wonderfully versatile mic that sounds excellent on some sources, and perfectly acceptable on most sources. Feature: The SM7B contains many useful features. The microphone has a cardioid pickup pattern, and does a pretty decent job of rejecting room sounds (when close micing). The microphone also has switches for presence boost and bass roll-off, which are both useful when needed. The SM7B comes with a great suspension mount, which acts as a shockmount, and also comes with a larger windscreen for voiceover or broadcast applications. The internal windscreen does a great job at taming plosives. On the surface, the SM7B seems to be a fairly basic microphone in terms of features, but in actuality, one gets a lot for the money. Overall, the only other items that one would need with the SM7B are a microphone stand and an XLR cable. No extra shockmounts or pop filters are needed. Ease of Use: It's pretty easy to get a great sound with the SM7B. As long as one is familiar with micing techniques, mic placement, and proper microphone usage, getting an accurate representation of a source is very easy. The microphone comes with a detailed manual that clearly explains all of the specifications of the mic. Engaging the bass roll-off or presence boost is merely flicking a switch. One caveat of the SM7B is that it has a relatively low output level. In order to use the SM7B, one has to have a preamplifier that can provide a lot of clean gain. I have used this particular mic with several different preamplifiers, and many are not able to cleanly amplify the SM7B's low output level (for instance, the UA Solo 610, or the Golden Age PRE73). I personally have gotten better results from a "clean" preamplifier, rather than a preamp that has a lot of "color." Quality: Shure is famous for making microphones that stand the test of time, and the SM7B is no different. In typical Shure fashion, the microphone is extremely well built, and the suspension mount is very sturdy. It doesn't seem as durable as the SM57, but then again, almost no other microphone is. These microphones were designed to live on the stands of broadcast studios, without ever being put away. I doubt I will ever need to replace the SM7B due to damage/quality issues. Value: For its current asking price, the SM7B is a steal. The microphone is wonderfully versatile and will remain as part of my microphone collection for a very, very long time. The mic is a professional piece of equipment and is very capable of making a professional recording when used correctly. Many professional studios are using the SM7B for all sorts of applications, and many albums have made considerable use of this microphone (for instance, the original SM7 was the microphone used almost exclusively on the vocal tracks for Michael Jackson's "Thriller"). The asking price is very reasonable. Manufacturer Support: N/A; I haven't needed to contact support for any reason, but I have heard many people have had good experiences in dealing with Shure's customer service. The Wow Factor: N/A; The SM7B has a basic, practical design that is perfectly adequate for what it is. Overall: Overall, the SM7B is a great workhorse microphone that can be used in many different applications. Some sources, such as male vocals and electric guitar cabinets, give excellent results with the SM7B. Many people tend to overlook large diaphragm dynamics such as the SM7B and the RE20 in favor of similarly priced condensers. Yet, in my experience, if one is working in less than ideal acoustic conditions, or if there is any amount of audible background noise, it is often better to choose a great sounding dynamic over a condenser microphone. I have found that many similarly priced condensers do not provide the same overall sound quality that the SM7B provides, and it is much easier to get a good sound with the Shure. If one is just starting to get into recording, and one needs a good, versatile microphone at a great price, look no further than the SM7B. Alternatively, any one who has been recording for some time owes it to themselves to check out the SM7B. There's definitely a reason why this microphone is getting so much hype, and the SM7B definitely lives up to its lofty expectations.

"A sexy mic that really bangs your voice out there a mic for every one that you will love from the moment you take it out of the" submitted February 11, 2010

Musical Background: hbbyist
Music Style: R&B
Sound: upon getting this fantastic mic in the mail I did a side by side with my old mic and the sound quality put me thru the roof.My podcast sound so much better . The only thing I have to do its get a tube preamp but the good thing is this mic is working great with just my mixer. Feature: the yoke is very impressive and I will say the pop filters do make a difference. kudos on shure for giving two great filters instead of making us buy them. Ease of Use: I just took it out of box and plugged it in and started working it was that easy. Quality: This mic is very solid great sound good case for the mic and good thick wind screens Value: for the money this mic is very worth it like you was always told you get what you pay for well this is so true. Manufacturer Support: have not had to deal with them as yet The Wow Factor: This mic is a must have for any singer band or any home studio and iv you are going to do VO work this is the mic for you Overall: I will be happy with this mic up untill the day I can not talk no more. I plan on getting a tube mic pramp to help out and give my voice a richer sound and so the voice over demos I do will have a real bang.

"SM7B Reviewed - now buy it." submitted June 29, 2011

Musical Background: Musician, Music Teacher, Arranger, Hobbyist Engineer
Music Style: Classical, Jazz, Opera, and other styles as I enjoy them.
Sound: Sound - Tailored for Vocals (Voice Overs and Male Vocals), Bass-Baritone instruments Quality - Excellent sound quality - switchable patterns allow you to shape the sound (bass roll-off is very helpful) Response - What goes in, comes out clean - very low-handling noise and it keeps out a lot of the room sound. Better? - I like it over a lot of condensers I've used. The SM7B is meant for close-up - I tried recording from a distance to see how well it works and the sound was decent; however, it was not as clear as other mics. 1 feet is about as far as I would stand from it. Live vs. Recording - I've yet to take this on the road, and when I do, I will definitely take an external preamp with enough juice for it (RNP to the rescue). Equipment Used with SM7B - I use the FMR RNP with the SM7B Tips? - Watch your preamp gain settings - you need enough gain for it but you do not need to always keep it at full blast. Even with quiet vocals, I've been successful with a lower gain setting (as long as the meters are reading at about -18dbFS(RMS) on the RNP - sometimes even at a 30dB gain setting on the RNP. Mic placement is the key, especially if the room isn't all that great. Feature: AW7S Windscreen included. Most useful feature is the switchable response (bass roll off and mid-range boost) The new Electro-Voice RE320 has a "dual personality" switch that optimizes it for kick drum and other bass instruments - it would be nice to have that extra feature. Ease of Use: Set it up and it's ready - just like any other dynamic microphone. Quality: Exceptional Shure quality. I own quiet a few Shure mics and the build is solid. Personally, I wouldn't take this mic on the road only because I like it in the studio. This mic seem like it will last for the next 20 years or so. Value: Most used microphone in my home/project studio. It's my first go-to mic for vocals and bass/baritone instruments. Manufacturer Support: Shure = great sound. No issues with the product (or any other product from them), therefore, never had to deal with customer service. The Wow Factor: What can I say? It's a great mic. Overall: Very satisfied. I'd like to get a few other large dynamic microphones to add to the collection and maybe another SM7B eventually.

When you call, mention priority code 1434-FCKG. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976