When you call, mention priority code 1415-1RZS

Rating and Reviews: Shure SM57 Mic

Own a time-tested legend: the Shure SM57 cardioid dynamic microphone. It's a worldwide favorite on drums, guitar amps, and more -- on stage or in the studio.

"All season all terrain!" submitted March 31, 2013

By Brownsound L in San Diego, CA
Musical Background: Electric Guitar,Bass Drums,Live/Recording 20+yrs
Music Style: All kinds where loud Electric Guitar is wanted!
Sound: A very natural reproduction of sound live or recording. Audio environment friendly Ease of Use: C'mon man! Quality: lasted me 15+yrs of heavy use so far! Manufacturer Support: never had to.... The Wow Factor: I never leave home on the way to a gig without the SM57 on my guitar case as well as a small mic stand. I reposition my own mic in front of my amp cause half the sound man out there are not guitar players! some are computer geeks running the sound boards! Overall: I have been using the SM57 20+yrs weather its on toms,snares,Bass drums(yes! Bass drums!)guitar amps,percussion,vocals you name i"ve been there done that. Very easy and quick to get awesome sound and EQ on the mixer.I purchase a Jet city isolation cab six month ago and installed an Eminence Lil Texas. Long story short I wanted to get away from that SM57 mic for recording purposes and try something else.I tried Audix i5,senheiser 609,xl's and other brands under $200 range no matter what I did i could not get a good descent sound. After six month of experimenting I grab one of four SM57's I own,well needless to say the true awesome guitar sound is back and works with pro tool 9 tons better than the other mics. Don't get me wrong other mics that I mentioned sound great but they get lost in the mix or you have to do massive EQ changes.To my ears,the SM57 is more natural or lets say a more audio environment friendly,very reliable,I own four of these and have lasted me 15+yrs now through a lots of set ups and tear downs as well as accidentally drops.Cant go wrong with the SM57 and for $99 a piece,one of the best musical equipment purchases you will make, I have no regrets.... I purchased mind for $79 each 15+yrs ago brand new!

"Possibly the best mic of all time" submitted January 1, 2010

Musical Background: semi-pro
Music Style: Punk/Hardcore, All
Sound: For live instuments this is great Guitar,Drums or even vocals.works equaly well for recordings. Feature: mic to cord to mixer Ease of Use: plug and play well set your levels Quality: I have 2 57's that are almost 30yrs old and they sound as good or better than the new ones I have. but even the new ones sound better than any other mic at this price period. Value: must have for any musician. I say all giging musicians should own 1 57 and 1 58. and if you have a home studio you probably have a few already and if not buy some.and the last one I bought they were only $70 retail and I would pay $100 if I ever need anymore. Manufacturer Support: never had a problem The Wow Factor: A must have mic. Overall: this mic has defined music from Bon Scott's vocals to just a bout every live show you've ever seen these are the mics that get the job done.
17 of 19 people (89.47%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"AWSOME MIC AWSOME PRICE!!!" submitted November 16, 2005

Overall
Sound: THe sound is great. People thinks its just the mic that makes your guitar or snare etc. sound good. ITS NOT!!! You must have a great sound to being with. However this mic colours the sound slightly and captures sound great. Recommended on guitars snare and toms. Feature: Came with a mic clip thats handy. Other than that this mic doesnt need features. Its a one of a kind. Quality: Bulletproof, Shatterproof. Go ahea throw it against the floor. It'll still work. Value: Get one of these mics you wont regret it guranteed Manufacturer Support: Shure has great support for the customer.
40 of 45 people (88.89%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"GREAT mic, even BETTER price!" submitted January 11, 2004

By a customer from something.com
Music Style: Rock/Metal/Punk/Jam
Sound: The 57 is incredibly clear. 10 out of 10 for the price, but we still have to note that there are plenty of high-end mics that will outdo it, so for fairness, it gets a 9 here. Feature: Well, there aren't necessarily any features to the mic, but I honestly have to admit that mics without a switch tend to be more durable (one less thing to break). Quality: Durable as you can possibly imagine. This thing's shell is like tank armor. I'd be willing to bet you could put a bullet to its casing and still come out with a working mic (of course, you can't aim at the windscreen :). Sound quality is simply awesome. Value: Simply incredible value. $90 for a mic that's a small step under some $900 mics. Manufacturer Support: shure.com - never used it myself, as it hasn't been necessary, but I've heard good things. The Wow Factor: Slim body, baby... just how I like 'em. :o) Overall: This mic will probably belong to my grandkids someday... assuming they get into recording or music too.

"Industry standard mic." submitted November 20, 2012

By J G
Overall
Overall: What can I say about it that has not already been said. It's a great mic for vocals and instruments. You know what else it great? zZounds! I always try and buy from them. They are friendly, competitively priced and delivery is fast.

"Works GREAT" submitted October 16, 2013

By Andrew A in Sand Lake, NY
Musical Background: Drummer/now doing sound mostly
Music Style: Classic Rock
Overall: I have been using shure mics for years and have never had a problem with them. I have purchased more SM57's due to more on-stage amps being used ,they work great bringing the sound to the FOH for a more clear sound coming froom the speakers, once everything is timed correctly, the sound is awssome.

"Like a good screwdriver, not expensive, reliable, loved." submitted January 12, 2011

By a customer from me.com
Musical Background: Amateur
Music Style: Vamp
Sound: A little dull, but just a little - and comparing it to condensers, which might not be fair. As a vocal mike, works well but sensitive to plosives. Needs pop filter. Feature: It just works. Ease of Use: Plug in. If not sound, then check everything BUT your SM57. Quality: I gave this mike no respect, and it was still limping along after 30 years, until (see "Support")... Value: It ain't no Neumann condenser, but it's $100. It'll do, pig, it'll do. Manufacturer Support: The grill wouldn't stay on anymore and I said, WTH, after 30 years I can plunk down the $58 flat repair fee and send it back to Shure. For this price, they sent me a new one, no questions, no discussion, "here you go". I guess the old girl had some capsule damage (I let my two little kids play with it) and they decided it was time to put her down (sniff). The Wow Factor: Eh - not a sexy mike, but neither is a screwdriver. You need a screwdriver, you buy it, you use it (a lot). Same with the SM57. Overall: I'll be happy if my new replacement SM57 lasts 30 years. Probably outlive everything else I own.

"thuper!" submitted December 30, 2003

Music Style: emo
Sound: I record my snare with it, and it's the only mic I've used that gives it that explosion sound that you hear in professionally recorded drums, as opposed to the dull sound of home recorded stuff. Feature: I guess I kind of wish it came with like five of them. Value: while being very cheap for a mic as good as it is...$80-90 is still a lot of money in my book. Manufacturer Support: I haven't needed any support so far. The Wow Factor: it's got a *nice* shape.hehehe.

"Shure is nice!" submitted May 28, 2014

By Mike M in Paducah, KY
Overall
Musical Background: Veteran amateur.
Music Style: Freedom Rock.
Overall: Having read so many times over the years that the SM57 was the way to mic a guitar amp, I wised up and bought one. Nice! Might even work good as a vocals mic with a touch of EQ.

"Quit reading the reviews and buy the thing." submitted January 7, 2004

Music Style: Any
Sound: This mic sounds good on just about everything. I hear that Tom Petty always uses one for his vocals. (rumor) Feature: What can I say? It's tough and sounds good. Did I mention it's under $100? Quality: Tough Tough Tough! Value: Definetly worth the price. However if you plan to use it for vocals, buy a pop screen. Manufacturer Support: Who needs support? It takes a nuke to destroy one of these. The Wow Factor: Look, I've seen people abuse the hell out of loaner 57s and 58s and they just don't quit. (the microphones or the morons) Overall: The SM57 was my first mic, and every real studio has like, 8. A good personal collection of mics is say, 4 to 10, and the Sm 57 can be half of them.
11 of 13 people (84.62%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"SHURE SM57" submitted November 20, 2005

Overall
Sound: Larger size maby. Feature: Nice and durable. Quality: Picks up alot. Value: It's a must have, not the best, but better than others for sure. Manufacturer Support: No problems with it yet. The Wow Factor: Very sexy mic. Overall: Love it, can't let it go, record all my vocals on it.

"A warm, but tenuous sounding mic. Awesome!" submitted April 1, 2006

Musical Background: audio engineer
Music Style: contemporary christian
Sound: I love it. Great pop for its tailored made sound. I used it on my snare and toms. And they just sound really great. Also are very versatile as a guitar amp mic, and even a vocal microphone. Ease of Use: Great pop on the snare drums. But the tailored sound of this mic would have to be tainted just a little for a vocalist. Quality: I still wonder about the loose head and why you can keep turning and turning it Value: great instrument dynamic mic

"Solid Performer" submitted October 2, 2012

By C A in Frisco, TX
Music Style: Blues, rock
Overall: This mic is the standard in the industry for recording an amp. It is solid, well built, takes a licking and still performs well. You could not hope for a better sounding quality dynamic mic than this one. Notwithstanding, I do still think the mic is a bit overpriced for what it is.

"SM57,LC?" submitted March 31, 2014

By Lake McGlaughlin
Overall
Overall: Can only say that the SM57 is an excelent mic....Have no idea what the LC designation is - Tho The overview/spec,info give many details about the SM57,it makes no mention of what the LC designation means?

"I'm Shure glad I got one." submitted October 17, 2005

Music Style: classical/jazz guitar
Sound: Use it conjunction with a Roland AC60 amp. Guitar: Juan Hernandez Professor (classical). I can't ask for anything better. I set the mic about 8 inches from the soundboard, and yet it still picks up the sound very well. Feature: Included pouch useful. It was shure nice that the company also included a mic clip. Although, it would've been even better had Shure included the windscreen. No switches, no worries. Simplicity is king. Quality: Solid body construction. Plastic screen/grill assembly might shatter if dropped. Value: Very good for the price. Manufacturer Support: Haven't used it. The Wow Factor: No need for 'sex appeal.' The sound is great, and that's the most important factor.

"Pimptastic" submitted August 3, 2005

Overall
Sound: This is a powerful microphone. I've recorded clean sounds with it which came out great but then I wanted to try some distortion and the first thing I noticed is that it picked it up with great accuracy however it got all of the cone. Moving it off axis with the cone helps to get a loud and clean distortion sound. Record low and mix high. get the sound in the yellow and boost the volume with your sequencer or iTunes so it won't peak. Using a condenser is a good idea for vocals to cut through the mix but if you have a screaming, angst ridden serial killer vocalist this will help you attain sound control so nothing peaks. Compression will fix this for condenser mics, high compression. Feature: It doesn't have many features but it doesn't really need them. Since it is directional, point and hit record. I got good results without compression so it is optional. For directional mics you don't really need it. Quality: Dependable with Shure quality sound and craftsmanship. I have an older shure mic passed down to me from the 70s which is still in excellent condition. The Shure Model SM 59, basically the same mic as the 57. Value: I've tried some expensive condensers and this is easier to use and you have more directional control of the sound. I have used this mic in a basement and it shined beautifully like being in a $1,000 recording booth. My song's chorus effected guitar sounds like Tonic. Condensers are sensitive and have to be positioned just right otherwise you have high peaks and harshness for loud instruments. Record reasonably low without peaking and mix high. Manufacturer Support: Never had to call them but I believe you can email them from www.shure.com for support The Wow Factor: Kiss the mic. You give love to your mic and your mic will give love back to you. ;) Looks can be deceiving. STP used this mic for the whole Core album Overall: Excellent mic for under $100 which will sound good on nearly everything. Drums, Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Keyboards, etc. The best bet for any beginner wanting to start out recording. Try the Shure and if the sound isn't for you buy a condenser later but keep in mind it is more sensitive to sound and can be more difficult to use. For Drums some people prefer condensers overhead for cymbals because of the higher frequency you are recording. It makes it sound more crisp.

"Great Microphone" submitted October 8, 2012

By Roger Bauer in Lexington, KY
Musical Background: fiddle
Music Style: classic country
Overall: Pick up my violin very well, don't need to get too close to the mike. Not intimidating.Great Service from zZounds

"Killer guitar cabinet mic!!" submitted February 6, 2009

Musical Background: Active Musician, hobbyist, weekend warrior,
Music Style: hard rock, alternative, blues, raggae, experimental, Slash copycat
Sound: Clear sound! Like the description says, they block a lot of ambient noise when doing studio work, such as low-flying airplanes which seem to be constantly circling the studio where I record dammit! But we use them for close miking 4x12 and 4x10 cabs and they work great. Also great for vocals, (one of our singers uses Sennheiser, and the Shures are much clearer and you don't have to get right on them to sing). Feature: Not many features besides the great sound. Ease of Use: It's a microphone!! Quality: Tough as nails Value: Great price for the best guitar mike in its price range Manufacturer Support: Never dealt with em The Wow Factor: Hear and you will believe Overall: No need to search

"Ferrari of Mics, at the cost of a Geo Metro"

Overall
Sound: This mic is in everyones locker....You do not own a studio until u have one of these things Feature: add an on off switch as standard equiptment and it would be the best ever Quality: Run this thing over many many times with the biggest truck you can find and see for yourself...if it breaks its only another 80 bucks Value: shure sm57 is a must for studios this thing is the Ferrari of mics at the cost of a Geo Metro Manufacturer Support: shure is the best at everything. period. The Wow Factor: i need a stereo pair of these Overall: ugh havent i said enough buy this mic

"Lose the booth" submitted August 7, 2005

Overall
Sound: I read on the Shure website that these mics as well as the KSM mics are designed for live use. I tried some other company condensers and they all were horrible. But this mic was way better. Shure is the only company that can make a product where you can record anywhere without having to use a special booth or mic position. Everybody endorses Shure for something. Nearly every other mic I used I had to return except this one. Feature: you don't need any Quality: designed for live use to get banged around so it is rugged enough for studio and on tour. Value: Don't bother making a recording booth. Point this mic in front of your amp. Manufacturer Support: Never had to contact them yet. The Wow Factor: The only mic brand you want. Shure won't rip you off. Overall: Forget about the other mics. Save yourself alot of time and dissapointment and record your big hit out of the box.

Shure SM57 Mic Customer Review submitted June 19, 2008

Overall
Sound: Nice flat response upto 3 KHz and enhanced definition at 6 KHz - 10 KHz means this guitar is perfect for such things like the sound hole of an acoustic guitar and snare drums. Works nicely for vocals if combined with a nice condenser microphone (such as Rode NT1-A, or if your rich a nueman). Also brilliant for loads of live sound applications. Feature: A fairly basic microphone package. One polar pattern (cardioid) and no phantom power required. Ease of Use: This product is simple to use for anything. Don't be afraid to try out odd microphone placements with this, for example miking up the back of cab's has worked well for me in the past. Quality: All Shure microphones are very durabile and reliable with this one probably leading the field in these respects. Value: A Cheap everyday use Dynamic microphone. Manufacturer Support: N/A The Wow Factor: Not the sexiest of mics that has ever exsisted.

"As expected" submitted January 20, 2014

Overall
Overall: I haven't got to use with an instrument, but with a voice it is acceptable

"See Popular Mechanics Jan 2008" submitted December 12, 2007

Overall
Sound: This may be the best microphone for recording both vocals and acoustic instruments. The SM 57 was described as the classic unit for this application in the January issue of Popular Mechanics. This would be a great unit to begin making quality recordings. The sound engineers agree!

Shure SM57 Mic Customer Review submitted December 22, 2008

Musical Background: Musician, Music teacher, songwriter, music engineer
Sound: I have no words to describe it. It's a fantastic microphone. They sell it as an instrument microphone... I disagree. It sounds really great for male voices. It shines in the following instruments: Classical guitar, violins, cello, trumpets, drums... It's horrible for acoustic guitars but in overall is a fantastic mic. Feature: It doesn't really have a lot but it's ok for me... I wasn't expecting anything more. Ease of Use: Nothing hard Quality: Great sound but as I can see you maybe have to watch after it. It looks very very fragile. Value: Ok I think I got the chance... this price and what a sound... It couldn't be better Manufacturer Support: I never needed any kind of support for the shures but their website is great... The Wow Factor: I like the black color but all for all it's not very sexy... Who cares if the sound is great. This section has no sense Overall: I can't say anything more. Buy it and you will never regret it.

"Great first mic, still worth it for veterans." submitted January 11, 2011

Musical Background: Student, aspiring recording engineer
Music Style: Rock, metal, hardcore
Sound: It's a dynamic mic. it's not going to have that crisp high end that you'll get with a small-diaphragm condenser, but this mic excels on guitar cabs and snare drums. I have even used it as a drum overhead, where, while it may not have that high-end shimmer, it does capture a nice, fat cymbal sound, that should be fine if you are recording a demo, or a diy recording where you don't need everything to sound super crisp. Feature: It comes with a mic clip and a zip pouch. They are nice to have, I guess. nothing to complain about here. Ease of Use: Just plug and play. Point it what you want to hear, point it away from what you don't want to hear Quality: As others have said, the metal casing feels indestructible. The pickup end feels a little loose (it has some sort of internal shock-mount, which is why it feels this way), and I would expect that if I did have a problem with this microphone, that's where it would happen. That being said, I have had no issues with it so far, and I believe you can buy a replacement capsule head if necessary. It's a really solid microphone, though. Another thing about this microphone is, it is used everywhere, so you know that, at the very least, you are buying a microphone that everyone else is using. It's not just some unknown out there. Value: As far as mics go, it's cheap. That being said, when I want another, I will probably buy one used off craigslist, where you can usually find them for $50-70 since they are so indestructible. Still, $100 is not a bad price at all. Manufacturer Support: Haven't needed any The Wow Factor: It's nice enough. No one will care how it looks when it's in front of a guitar cab or snare drum anyway. Overall: This is a great first mic, if you are just getting into recording, and will be needing to record instruments. If you are just going to be doing vocals, I'd go for some large diaphragm condenser, but if you need a mic that you can put anywhere and have it sound solid, this is a great one. That's not to say this is just a beginner or entry-level microphone. Anyone on a budget should have one, and anyone not on a budget should still have (and use) theirs from when they were on a budget. I can't see anyone really being disappointed with this mic.

Shure SM57 Mic Customer Review submitted September 26, 2006

Overall
Sound: This is a great sounding mic for almost everything. I use it as an overhead for my drums (until i get a condenser), and it picks up a good amount of what i'm playing. it's more on the unidirectional side, so its not a great area mic, but it really isnt supposed to be used that way anyways. its alright for vocals. it's kind of hard to get a level volume with it when singing. phenomenal for micing amps. even bass amps sound good with it. acoustic guitars sound ok with it. Ease of Use: Very easy to get a good sound out of anything besides vocals. That's the only difficult thing to get out of this mic. Quality: Very durable body, but the top of it is made of plastic. That part seems like it could break easily, but the rest of it is literally bullet proof. Value: One of the best mic out there and it hasn't even hit $100 yet. Manufacturer Support: No problems to beging with. The Wow Factor: Great piece.

"The BEST Mic!!!!!!!!" submitted July 25, 2013

By Bob F in Mendham, NJ
Musical Background: musician for 30 years
Music Style: rock, blues, country
Overall: I bought one of these when I was 17 in a band. I'm 63 now and still love this mike and a few more 57's I bought along the way. I use for vocals, guitar mic thru the PA (works great!), and micing my acoustic guitar to the PA. There's no mic like this. This is why it has been around for so long. Highly recommended.

"SHURE SM57 MICROPHONE COMBO" submitted October 28, 2012

By Rodolfo Alcantara in Jacksonville, FL
Overall
Musical Background: I've been playing Ukulele and Guitar at home, But because of my age 75 I can hardly play.
Music Style: N/A
Overall: i like the sound of the microphone, but the SM58 is lot better when I tried to used it with my friend karaoke he got one of SM58. Most of all I am very satisfied when I ordered my merchandise to zZounds, I received my order on time when I found out I made a mistake ordering just a microphone, I called the store and the gentleman I talked to is very polite and helpful, when I discuss to him my problems he didn't hesitate to correct my problems, he knows exactly how to satisfied the costumer. I've been ordering a lots of stuff on line but this is the time I am very satisfied with the agent or who ever he might be in the store. Job Well Done! Highly recommended.

"Shure is not a company that will piss on your back and tell you its raining, they make great quality!" submitted September 10, 2003

By a customer from socal.rr.com
Overall
Music Style: House, Hip Hop, Drum and Bass, Rock...
Sound: Wow, this is a mic that anyone who is recording drums MUST have! This sucker is that damn good, and a litte better! Feature: The mic alone is all you need, if i didnt have a mic stand i wouldnt mind holding it when recording, its still going to sound good. One more thing, i liked the sticker. Quality: The quality of this thing is great! Rugged! If you got a SM57 you can hammer in a nail. Value: I think Shure did something that we wont see in a while, a damn good product. a product sooooo damn good that you will be able to pass this down for generations. Its going to be sounding the same way it sounded when you took it out of the book. Manufacturer Support: shure.com need I say more? The Wow Factor: Looks good, feels good, when it comes out of the box, smells good too. Overall: Im planing on getting 4 more. Overall good ass mic!

"Shure SM-57 is a sure thing." submitted April 28, 2005

By a customer from six12.com
Musical Background: Vocalist, Guitarist
Music Style: Melodic Death, Death, Thrash, Power Metal, Progressive, Tech/Math Metal, Metalcore
Overall: The Shure SM-57 Dynamic Microphone gives out great sound and will work for almost anything from lead vocals, to drums, guitar and bass recording. Its low feedback, low noise and you can tell its just well built by the heavy duty construction. The only possible downside is there is no on/off switch. Its not a big deal but it would have been nice to have. You get a very clean sound with very good bass responses for vocals, which is what I use it for. Its by far the best mic you're going to get for the price and is a "must-have" for vocalists.

Shure SM57 Mic Customer Review submitted January 2, 2005

By a customer from NETSCAPE.NET
Musical Background: MUSICIAN,ENGINEER
Music Style: VARIOUS
Sound: THIS IS A GOOD "INEXPENSIVE" MIC. IT SHINES AS AN INSTRUMENT MIC SUCH AS SNARE DRUM,ELECTRIC GUITAR IN "LIVE" APPLICATIONS. SOME FOLKS USE THEM IN THE STUDIO,ALTHOUGH THERE ARE MANY MORE BETTER AND EXPENSIVE MICS THAT WILL FAR OUTPERFORM THE SM57 IN STUDIO APPLICATIONS. FOR THOSE ON A LIMITED BUDGET THE SM57 WILL DO. IF YOU INTEND TO USE THE SM57 FOR VOCALS INVEST IN A SHURE SM57 WINDSCREEN OTHERWISE THE POPPING SOUNDS WILL RUIN YOUR PERFORMANCE. Quality: DON'T DROP THIS MIC ON IT'S CARTRIDGE. THIS IS A "PROBE" STYLE MIC AS COMPARED TO A "BALL" STYLE. PROBE MICS ARE FAR MORE DELICATE AND WILL TAKE FEWER DROPS TO THE FLOOR BEFORE IT'S READY FOR THE TRASHCAN. The Wow Factor: IT'S A GOOD ALL AROUND MIC, FAR FROM THE BEST BUT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

When you call, mention priority code 1415-1RZS. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976