When you call, mention priority code 1ZY-W2CK

Rating and Reviews: Stagg EDB3/4 Upright Bass

The Stagg EDB Electric Upright Bass is a 3/4-scale bass ideal for electric bassists looking to learn upright. It boasts a maple body and quality electronics.

"Stagg EDB" submitted February 21, 2011

Musical Background: Active Musician, Weekend Warrior
Music Style: Indie/Alternative, Jazz, Musicals
Sound: Special note: this applies to both pizz and arco The Stagg EDB sounds as close to an upright as you can get in the price range. Many say that it's basically a glorified fretless, but I'd argue the sound has more of an "earthy" sound to it. Playing alone, you can definitely tell it's not a traditional upright, but in the midst of a band (jazz, bluegrass, blues, etc.) I think the normal audience member wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I sort of find the "sub bass" dial to be a nice feature, but would have preferred a "tone" dial instead. The sub bass does just as it suggests by adding more definition to your low end, but if you crank it all the way up, I think it begins to sound nothing like an upright at all. Overall, I give it an 8 out of 10. Pros: Earthy sound while retaining a very decent upright tone especially for the price Cons: Sub Bass leaves a bit to be desired Feature: While I appreciated the plastic pieces that came with the upright, I found them to be more annoying than helpful. The plastic portion that goes into your stomach feels and looks awkward while the portion that emulates the body for your left hand is higher than an actual upright forcing you to change your technique considerably. For those reasons, I don't use either and play it as an actual stick. I've still had to adapt my technique a bit since it's only my hands keeping the upright in position, but overall, I think it's worked well. The 9V battery that came with it didn't have a very long life and I had to change it after only a couple of hours of use. I'm not sure if that's universal or just luck of the draw. Pros: Slim design makes the upright very portable and manageable, Neck feels realistic albeit a different material Cons: Plastic "body" to me was cumbersome and unnecessary. Ease of Use: Plug in play, find the right EQ and you have an instant bass. Nuff said. If you've never played an upright before, there is a learning curve and don't trust the "fret markers" on the side, if anything get a tuner and correct them with a sharpie and white out if you want to use them. Pros: Extremely easy to transition from acoustic upright to this Cons: Can be difficult to total beginners but that's the nature of upright Quality: The Action was ridiculously high but that was easily adjustable. Value: Overall worth it for what you play for hands down. Manufacturer Support: Never had to deal with customer support or warranty issues, so I don't have a place for an opinion.

"Stagg 3/4 - a beast with a few irritating glitches" submitted March 6, 2012

By Paul D.E. Mitchell
Musical Background: 30 years on all basses
Music Style: Jazz, blues, soul, rock
Overall: It played striaght from the box flawlessly at the gig but although a remarkable beast and value for money, there were already three problems after two gigs.(a) The gromets for the two rests are too tight. This is common to all reviews I've seen. Cure: take a battery drill which is easier to control and use a small bit at low speeds to widen the gromet apertures whilst being careful not to scratch the bass. Problem solved.(b) The spike resonates with certain notes unless it is fully extended - so it's only okay if you're seven foot tall. To stop the spike top clattering about inside the body, remove the thin back plate where you'll discover the third problem (see below). Cure: push the spike in and roll a strip of gaffer-tape around the topmost part of the spike making sure it's not too thick. The tape is not infinite-life so make sure it stays adhered and doesn't decay and jam in the spike-tube. I suppose you could also shorten the spike itself.(c) With the back-plate off, you will see wires crudely taped down by adhesive metal-coated screening tape. The plate is metal-lined and a little corner of screen-tape overlaps into the plate recess to connect with it. It's a mickey-mouse arrangement and the wires are exquisitely vulnerable to the retractions of the top of the spike into and out of this wiring-box. Cure: superglue the wires and tape out of the way of the spike movements. Also check for exposed wiring (which there was in mine) which could come into contact (making nasty crackling sounds) with the metal tape and insulate them. Sadly this wiring and spike box area will need maintenance and regular checks with heavy gigiging - or you could leave the spike permanently set.Still far more plusses than minuses. They could even do away with the left side hand-rest and mount-protusion to allow fuller access to the higher registers.Mitch of the Goodfellas, Cardiff

"Stagg Upright Electric gets gigs!" submitted November 8, 2012

By Bob P in St Petersburg, FL
Musical Background: Pro: low brass, bass, keys
Music Style: Rock, jazz, classical
Overall: As a lifelong electric player (Music Man Sterling), I made the jump to the Stagg about a year ago in the hope that it would open some doors to small-group jazz playing. After some woodshedding, my scheme is bearing fruit: gigs in the book that I wouldn't have had with my electric. I'm very happy with the Stagg. It is well made (built like a tank), reliable, and sounds good (looks great, too). It doesn't sound like an acoustic, but it's a reasonable facsimile of an acoustic as heard through an amp--and that's how most everybody hears an acoustic these days, anyway. I don't use the metal arm which is intended to simulate the bass shoulder under my left arm, but the other arm--which rests against my body--is, in my opinion, essential. Therein lies my only complaint: the press-fit rubber bushings into which the arms are inserted are cheesy and poorly designed but, admittedly, functional. Oh, and if you use the well-implemented headphone amp regularly, you'll be going through a lot of 9V batteries. Other than that, this is a "buy"--even at a significantly higher price!

"Decent quality, a little awkward." submitted May 2, 2014

By Doug L in St. Louis, MO
Overall
Musical Background: Playing electric bass/guitar for a decade. Pretty new to upright
Music Style: Rock, Country, Rockabilly, Psychobilly
Overall: I'm pretty new to upright bass in general. I'm learning how to play in the rockabilly/psychobilly style of slap bass (transitioning from electric bass) However, I am in the Navy and spend a lot of time in tight quarters on a ship, so I wanted something that I could take out with me and practice on. I think that this is probably better suited for a somewhat experienced bass player as opposed to a learner, but I'm making due. One problem is that with no body to lean against, you are holding the entire thing up with your left hand while trying to use your left hand to play the thing. It tires you out pretty quick that way. The build quality is nice and it is definitely an attention getter. The neck/fingerboard is allegedly some kind of wood, but it looks and feels like it is one big piece of plastic or composite material. One major design flaw is the tuners. I imagine that they were meant to give the authentic look of an upright bass scroll - which they do. However, it makes it a complete pain to try and string because the opposing pegheads are just so close together and in each others way. This was doubly frustrating when I installed some synthetic weedwacker slap strings on it. So yes, if you were wondering, you can get weedwackers on it, but you're going to have to doctor up the ends to fit in there and it takes quite a bit of trial and error to make it work. You'll also have to have the bridge filed down to handle them, because otherwise the E will slip out of place even under normal playing, let alone slapping. Another drawback is that with synthetic strings on this bass, the output is reduced dramatically. I probably lost nearly half of my volume after putting the weedwackers on. Also, don't expect the "slap" to carry through the pickup. If that's what you're after, you'll need to install something extra under the fingerboard. I wish there were EQ nobs on the electronics instead of what it has. As it stands, you'll have to do a lot of work to get quality, usable sounds out of it. On-board EQ could have reduced this hassle. Overall, it is a nice tool/toy, but I couldn't imagine it being someone's "main" bass or anything. It serves my purposes well, and often I just use it as a slapstick to work on right hand stuff without even plugging it in or putting headphones on. It's a quality instrument that, with a bit of work, could be worth more than it costs.

Stagg EDB3/4 Upright Bass Customer Review submitted January 5, 2011

Music Style: Psychadelic rock, jazz, blues
Sound: This is a good electric upright bass. It gets the job done. It doesn't an acoustic sound to it, but it is very warm and mellow, a good upright tone. I usually have some effects on it so acoustic sound isn't nescesary for me. I also like the headphone jack in it, it's great to practice while others are sleeping. It's very hard to bow because the bridge is alot flatter than the normal acoustic uprights. it's a great bass and is worth the money. p.s. get new strings these strings on mine are very sharp and wear my hands down Feature: Headphone jack, active tone,

"A solid product at a great value" submitted January 28, 2012

By Matthew Messatzzia in Ardentown, DE
Musical Background: 10+ years experience with bass guitar
Music Style: Jazz, funk, blues, rock
Sound: Many people have complained it doesn't sound like an acoustic upright or that it just sounds like a fretless bass guitar. First of all: it doesn't sound like an acoustic ... because it's NOT acoustic! It's a solid body bass. Find an electric guitar that sounds like an acoustic without digital processing. It doesn't sound like a fretless bass guitar to me, either. I think these people are A) Not EQ'ing the Stagg properly B) Are pushing it through a bass amp that provides too much color to the sound and C) Are playing it like a BG. Proper pizzicato technique (full side of finger and through the wrist as opposed to the finger-tip methods of bass guitar) and EQ (lows, lots of mid, cut the highs.. think wood) and this Stagg sounds great. Feature: The headphone output and MP3 input are very cool, especially for students. I like being able to swing at 3 AM without disturbing my neighbors or my wife, as we live in an apartment. The support bars that are intended to simulate the body of an acoustic are a little awkward. The hip support bar is well placed but the one on the opposing side seems a bit higher than where the actual body would curve. Most omit it when they play. Ease of Use: This product is geared towards bass guitar players, it seems. Double bass is a totally different beast than bass guitar. That being, said there is a steep learning curve and I advise some instruction. A downside of this bass is without a full body you cannot balance it against yourself as you would with an acoustic, which can be a key element in double bass technique. Quality: For the price, it is pretty well constructed. It is not made of the finest woods but does the job. Like any cheap upright bass, a proper set up will be needed. Value: Nothing compares for the price. You will need to put a couple hundred more dollars into it for a proper set up and better strings, so the price is mildly deceptive.. but as I said before, this is the case with any inexpensive double bass. Manufacturer Support: Haven't had to deal with them The Wow Factor: It's very cool, that's for sure! I was drawn to it the first time I saw it. Overall: This is a great product for the money and is a great start for transitioning to double bass, or is an affordable option for acoustic double players who have limited space or have difficulty traveling with it.
12 of 13 people (92.31%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"This EUB is worth looking at." submitted August 12, 2011

Musical Background: pro bass player
Music Style: ethnic, jazz, rock
Sound: I compared this to my friend's $5000 EUB and it sounded close - at 1/10th the price. There was some fingerboard string buzzing. The action height wasn't the problem - it was the supplied strings. Changing the strings really helped. Feature: Could use a built in hanging bracket for hooking it to a playing stand. Would really help stabilize the instrument. I may have to improvise the bracket I saw on another EUB. Of the two supplied wire body spacers (simulating the shoulders of the bass), the player side spacer works, but the treble side, meant to support the higher thumb positions seems a little silly and unnecessary. Ease of Use: It's really great for the price. Quality: It looks well made and durable. The gig bag is substantial, padded, and heavy. Value: See above. Good deal. Manufacturer Support: Not yet. The Wow Factor: Purely practical addition for an upright bass player tired of schlepping the big bass around all the time. It does look sleek and cool in black.
11 of 12 people (91.67%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Stagg - Very nice instrument" submitted June 13, 2012

By Thomas Brennan in Clayton, NY
Overall
Musical Background: I have been playing for 15 years, and play semi-pro.
Music Style: R&B, Motown, Blues, Jazz, Gospel, Christian, Big band, show tunes.
Overall: I bought the Stagg EDB a month ago. I am quite satisfied with it overall. the sound is good, and it approaches the sound of an amplified upright. The bass needed to be set up. I tried to play it right after buying it, and the action was very high. No documentation came with the bass, so I was on my own. I lowered the action all the way down, and it played better, but there was significant fingerboard buzz at about the 6th fret position. I then took it to a friend who is a master luthier. He adjusted the truss rod, and that helped a bit. The most significant adjustment that he made was adjusting the nut. He filed it down, and that dramatically improved the action. We then raised the bridge a bit, adjusted the truss rod back a little, and it plays beautifully now. Very little neck buzz anywhere. I like the feel of the neck. i am not an upright player, I have only played electric basses, both fretted and fretless. This feels really nice, and it can be bowed. I get a monster tone out of it when I bow it. This thing really shakes the basement when bowed. I do use the body bar, that extends into your gut, but I don't use the other bar. It seemed superfluous to me. I really do see that it would be a lot better to have the girth of the upright pressing against your body and your leg. This kind of floats in space. I am hoping to find some kind of pillow or cushion to give me more contact with the bass. I think I need that. I have been playing for 15 years, and play semi-pro. R&B, Motown, Blues, Jazz, Gospel, Christian, Big band, show tunes.
19 of 21 people (90.48%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Loving it with my mind and body" submitted November 21, 2014

By Rock K in New York, NY
Overall
Musical Background: Lifelong classical pianist, recently came to blues and jazz
Overall: Always wanted to play upright, but cheap acoustic instruments are usually crap and I couldn't afford a good one. In comparing electric uprights this with the cheaper Dean Pace, I liked that this had a long 3/4 upright bass scale rather than the electric guitar bass scale. I suppose it's a plus that the Stagg is bowable, but I really don't see myself bowing anytime soon.The stick rattles in the body because of a DESIGN flaw -- which means it will rattle for you too. This pisses me off, but there aren't a lot of options at this price level. So (and this won't really make sense unless you have one), I removed the long panel from the back and wrapped tape around the stick so it would jam into its tunnel when the stick is in playing position. Unfortunately, this solution falls apart when the stick is pushed back up for transport and then re-extended at the gig. I have simply opted to leave the back panel off, so I can secure the stick whenever I have to.The hip brace sockets also come loose and rattle, but you can easily retighten them.The low e string is already dead after a week of playing.But having said all that, I would still recommend this instrument as an introduction to upright bass. And I would recommend trying upright bass to anyone interested in music. It's not hard, so you'll be good enough to play simple music (blues and 50s rock) with your friends in like a week.But best of all, the fingerboard is at eye level for first and second position, and the scale is so long you can really see what you're doing. It might be the bent of my nature, but working through teach-yourself books with upright bass has really brought music theory alive to me in a profoundly visceral and intellectual way.

"Stagg EDB" submitted February 4, 2014

By Gregory Williams in San Diego, CA
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing since the mid 90s, Playing various at a new level of musicianship since 2012
Music Style: I play all types of music, except country. No offense.
Sound: This bass sounds good. To me, it is a cross between DBass and a Fretless bass. If you are looking for that acoustic double bass sound, go buy and acoustic db. It would be unfair to compare this particular to an acoustic double bass. Feature: I like the head phone and MP3 jack. I am able to play late at night, or while family is sleep. Controls and height adjustment are basic. Ease of Use: There is a positional learning curve to get use too. But, does not take long to adjust. Quality: For the price you pay, this bass is well made. Value: This bass listed for sale over $1000.00, and the online price is $699. Quality is good. If you are learning, or just want to explore a different area of bass musicianship, this is a great value. I have other upper mid scale basses. I will probably upgrade in a year or so. There is no need to spend big bucks on something that you are exploring. Manufacturer Support: Have not need them so far. The Wow Factor: It is a sexy good looking bass. It sounds good to me. The wow factor is inside of the person who playing the bass. You can have a bass of any type bass It will always look good. But it is the person who is playing the instrument will create the "WoW, and that the factor. Overall: I am a electric guitar type bassist. I have been playing seriously since 2012, but have been playing bass since the mid 90's. I had an opportunity to play an acoustic upright at the NAMM after party show up the street. I knew then, that is was something I want to learn, and have. But I did not have the space for a full blown acoustic. I researched. a few electric Up Right dub Basses, I came to the decision, that the Stagg was the ideal bass for me. This a great bass for someone like myself or others who want to learn how to play an EDB. I bought this bass in black. It is well constructed. Sub bass and controls are good. Head phone and MP3 works. I really enjoy playing very well, and good to have..

"Great stuff!!!" submitted March 22, 2014

By brian s in chesterfield, MI
Musical Background: 25 years electric bass, 5 years upright
Music Style: soft rock to metal, jazz to big band!
Overall: i love it! its not the exact tone of an upright, but mixed in with other instruments it does just fine!! very easy to adjust and plays great!! no more carpel tunnel issues! takes some getting used to, but is easy to jump right in at the same time! dont hesitate!! im glad i bought mine! Get the stand with it, holding it up by yourself will put a damper on playing! i positioned the stand so it doesnt interfere with the fingerboard, just below where the neck is attached to the body, works great and you wont have to concentrate on holding it up!! Solid construction! Nice case, and very portable! check the reviews on youtube and the video on this site i never needed manufacturers support, so i didnt select it

"Stagg EDB 3/4 Electric upright bass" submitted January 6, 2014

By Johnny T in Valdosta, GA
Overall
Musical Background: I have been playing for over 50 years now. iam a progessive bass player!
Music Style: I play jazz and funk and country and gospel music!
Overall: I Love the upright bass

"STAGG EUB 3/4 Bass" submitted April 23, 2012

By Grant B in Courtice, ON
Overall
Musical Background: Playing for 30 years or so. I play Bass!! Damn Straight! In a Band that plays gigs regularly.
Music Style: Classic rock, Modern rock, Blues and Soul.
Overall: It's a great, full-featured, affordable upright bass. I'm not a upright player buy any standard but this is an instrument to wet your taste, explore and have a lot of fun with. I love playing it. The head phone jack makes practicing painless and really helps you hear how well you're intonating. (or not)!

"Exceptional Instrument with Dubious Accessories" submitted March 24, 2011

By a customer from charter.net
Overall
Music Style: folkrock, heavy metal, classical
Sound: I believe the Stagg EDB 3/4 upright bass is a exceptional instrument. I am using it mainly in the studio. The quality of the sound is outstanding for jazz or folk music styles. It's definitely more expressive than any bass guitar I own. Feature: The Stagg EDB 3/4 upright bass came with a dubiously made gig bag. I wouldn't put faith in it to be durable for too long if used to transport the instument from gig to gig. It also comes with a hand and hip support metal assembly. I found both pieces to be awkward. In all honesty, however, this is my introduction to the upright bass. Up until this point, I've only played bass guitars. Maybe I'm not using these additional pieces correctly. In any event, I use the instrument without either and do okay in that fashion. I also found the original strings lacking. I broke the G string trying to get the instrument tuned. After replacing it, I finally got the instrument in tune. The replacement string (a D'Addario) holds and keeps tune perfectly. The factory strings wander out of tune with regularity(a minor, but annoying quibble). Ease of Use: As stated earlier, it's a tad awkward but I'm sure I'll get used to it. As for the pressure you need to apply to the strings to get a clear sounding note, it's pretty decent performer. The instrument itself has a very brief learning curve because all the controls are self-explanatory. I especially appreciate the headphone input. It's nice that one can play this instrument in the middle of the night without disturbing anyone's sleep! Quality: The upright bass itself is exceptionally sturdy. It's durability should be unsurpassed. My instrument arrived in perfect condition. The accompanying stand, however, was delivered with a broken tightening handle. zZounds provided stellar support. They were willing to take the entire stand back. I couldn't see the point. The unit was in perfect condition minus the one part. I jury-rigged a solution that I like better than the original bolt and handle assembly that was provided. Manufacturer Support: I can't rate Stagg's support because I didn't use it. The 10 is for Zzounds. They were very willing to step up to the plate to make sure I was satisfied with the product I purchased. Tremendous customer service!!! Overall: In summation, the Stagg EDB 3/4 upright bass appears to be a sturdy, well-designed instrument. The same cannot be said of the cheesy supplied gig bag, and the factory strings are definitely not good quality. Replace those two exceptions and this instrument should provide years of enjoyment. It's playability, and the quality of the sound it produces, are outstanding.

"Electric acoustic bass sound and feel in a small bag." submitted February 23, 2010

By a customer from HOTMAIL.COM
Music Style: Jazz, R&B
Sound: I purchased a Stagg EDB-3/4 VRB and it exceeded my expectations. The instrument not only looks great but it also sounds good. The bass sounds very much like my acoustic standup. It has the same feel and sound response as an acoustic standup. I play this bass with a GK 1001RB amp and 15" GK Backline speaker. I am very pleased with the sound quality of the instrument. I play R&B, Blues and Contemporary Gospel and this bass gives me more style options. I recommend this bass for anyone who wants to add the sound and style of an acoustic bass to his or her music. The convenient size and portability of the instrument makes it easy to move about while on the road. Feature: No accessories come with this instrument. Ease of Use: I did not receive an operations manual with the instrument. I feel a guide to the care and use of the instrument would be helpful for beginners. Quality: The quality and finish of this bass is very good however, I would recommend a hard case for working on the road. Value: I think this a good value for the price. Manufacturer Support: I have not had to contact the manufacturer for any reason. The instrument was made in China. The Wow Factor: A very good looking bass. It attracts attention everywhare I have played it. Overall: This a good buy for my purposes and I will not need to replace it.
19 of 23 people (82.61%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Stagg EDB 3/4 DBR BK" submitted June 1, 2014

By Pablo F
Musical Background: 20 años de experiencia, JP bass, Freetless, Guitar
Music Style: Indie Music, Jazz fusion,
Overall: Imponente, llama la atención con solo verlo. Lo compré por un tema de espacio, bastante portable. No me gusta el control de sub graves, pero se corrige con un compresor. Los conectores de audífono son débiles. Los apoyos de la cadera es un poco incomodo y el aza de agarre lo quite ya que es incomodo para tocar, También quite el apoyo para correa, ya que, molesta para alcanzar notas altas. La Pagina web del fabricante da muy poca información técnica de los componentes electrónicos del instrumento. Pero en general estoy conforme con la compra. Su valor US $ 709,6.- (incluidos gastos de envío e impuestos) Cabe señalar que en mi país se han vendido bastante rápido este modelo.

"Stagg bass" submitted May 9, 2012

By Glenn B in Sterling Heights, MI
Overall
Musical Background: 35 years. Bass, guitar, keyboards.
Music Style: All styles.
Overall: The first bass I recieved had a neck that was snapped in half. The second bass I received to replace it had a busted tuner. I never even got to tune it to play it so I cannot really comment on it but to say that it seemed rather poorly made. Chinese products are very inferior and you get what you pay for I guess. I must say that the people at Zzounds are very good to deal with and I will definitely buy from them in the future.

When you call, mention priority code 1ZY-W2CK. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976