When you call, mention priority code 172Q-SJW0

Rating and Reviews: Roland VG-99 V-Guitar

With the Roland VG-99 V-Guitar, you can open your guitar up to the world of MIDI. The VG-99 features a dual GT-Pro-class processor for endless possibilities.

Roland VG-99 V-Guitar Customer Review submitted May 3, 2008

Overall
Sound: In my opinion roland and line 6 have been doing the most cutting edge work in guitar FX. With the VG-99, I have to say they've surpassed line 6 by a wide margin. The Range of sounds you can get with this is equal to at a guitar processor plus an analog synth and if have a midi module you can use those sounds as well. I suppose some could say "this vintage guitar and/or amp doesn't sound exactly like the one i hear on such and such recording." That's hard to argue. If you can't match the sound you need by tweaking with the 99 a bit, you probably don't know what your talking about. Feature: As far as features go this has more than any of it's ancestors. I was afraid some features would be taken out to make it easier to use (a common issue with roland's GR line.) But plenty of features have been added. The D-beam and ribbon controller are cool additions. I might miss the pedal board of the VG-88 but i've had a keyboard expression pedal and a dual switcher pedal kicking around here for a while and they plug right into the 99. Ease of Use: They managed to make the new model really straightforward, without sacrificing power and options. Perhaps the best aid in this is the editor and librarian software. I'd like to give roland additional praise for supporting OS X as well. For some the issue of how and where to install the GK pickup might present a problem. A couple of points: A) You don't need to put this on your 7000$ vintage museum piece, any guitar with a decent setup will sound equally good. B) If your not handy with a drill and screwdriver you can use double sided tape. Quality: I haven't had any serious problems with roland products, as of yet. The vg-99 looks a bit more delicate than the 88 or 8 though. Value: It seems like the price is jacked up on this at first glance, but it will take days or weeks to explore all the features. If your the type of guitarist who buys a lot of different axes and amps and the keeps them in your closet because there too valuable to use, this will definitely save you money.
32 of 35 people (91.43%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Buy this and a GK3 and you will play more than you ever have." submitted October 20, 2007

By a customer from ns.sympatico.ca
Musical Background: 30 years playing guitar
Sound: I have owned the VG8 the VG88EX and now the VG99. This is the first unit that really does sound exactly like the guitars and amps it models. It is by far the most amazing guitar product I have ever used. The only complaint I have heard is that it doesn't play well with piezo pickups. I use a GK3 and it works perfect. Feature: According to the Roland rep, over 4000 adjustable settings. Value: For the price of one amp you get every guitar , amp and effect known to man. Manufacturer Support: I couldn't figure something out but after 5 or 6 emails the Roland rep found an answer for me.
22 of 26 people (84.62%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"This is any guitarist's "dream" system to use for any guitar, by just properly mounting a GK pickup and especially fine-tunings" submitted March 31, 2009

By a customer from embarqmail.com
Overall
Musical Background: hobbyist, music engraver, arranger
Music Style: folk, jazz, pop, progressive rock, techno
Sound: The 24-bit sound quality is very dynamic in offering many "extremes" from very dry to wet effects. Checking out all of the presets, as I'm doing still now (just got it yesterday) with headphones is quite impressive! And having the D-Beam and Ribbon Controller used by some patches is also very easy to interact with. Feature: The updated OS firmware 1.04 (online from RolandUS.com) now offers better support for piezo pickups which have even better sensitivity to a user's playing sinse their detection of tuning is much more accurate. Thus if you get a guitar with piezo pickups builtin, you are definitely better off. I'd suggest the Carvin SH575 Synth Access guitar. Ease of Use: My familiarity with the older VG-8EX gave me a "bias" in easily adjusting to the VG-99's interface (better display AND panel layout than before). I'm especially interested in its MIDI and/or USB MIDI/Audio support for use with its included Editor/Librarian and a PC DAW program (like SONAR). Quality: It is very light weight with a very fine finish and compact design, but since so many LEDs are used [obviously designed with low-lighting stage use in mind], I hope their bulbs don't burn out anytime soon <g>. Value: I wish that I had known that the VG-99 specifically is designed (with an included connecting cable, and software/panel support for the FC-300 AND included it as a "bundle". As it is, I clearly "need" (and want) to buy it AND the "optional" PDS-10 stand, as rack mounting it (although screws were provided for that) is not that practical for me. Indeed, I'm using its shipping box as a pseudo-stand until I get a proper one <g>. Manufacturer Support: I have only dealt with Roland via their website never having a technical problem with any of their gear except one, which I haven't yet gotten help about -- the LED display "died" on my 5+ year old XP-50, although I replaced its internal battery, it still doesn't work, but the instrument does still work fully otherwise. I had a similar problem my my Kawai GMega synth. The Wow Factor: Since I could and did directly compare the design to my older VG-8EX (which I've now "retired"), I consider the LED display and overall compact "ergonomic" and _light weight_ design to be MAJOR improvements. It made LOTS of sense to separate the "embedded" pedals of the VG-8 into the much more versatile FC-300 foot controller, which I certainly intend to buy later, as well as the PDS-10 stand. Overall: It's already replaced my VG-8EX (which is still fully functional) and my GI-10 Guitar MIDI Interface, which are no longer needed! The "need" now for FERITE cores "wrapping/attached" to the GK cables (to eliminate/minimize) interference is a VERY smart design feature that was "considered" for the VG-8. Presumably, the ferite cores are sold separately as they DON'T come "pre-installed" on the new GK cables -- although it WAS on the one included with unit.

"To guitarists looking for stompboxes, amps, guitars and other instruments crammed into one machine" submitted July 16, 2008

Overall
Music Style: Rock (RATM, U2, Audioslave, Coldplay)
Sound: The sound on this product is amazing. I played a Roland Ready Strat through it and was suprised at how clear the sound was, despite the single-coil pickups of the Stratocaster. Feature: Delay, reverb, stompbox modeling, guitar modeling, amp modeling, instrument modeling, etc. Anything you want to play and almost any effect is available by using this product. Ease of Use: I found it to be somewhat complex. I don't read manuals on products if I can help it, simply because I like tweaking and toying around with it. But I would say reading the manual would probably be a big help. As far as the interface goes, it seemed pretty straight forward. Quality: I never felt that I would break it. It seems that if you purchase this, it will last you for a very long time, despite taking the occasional bumps and bruises that come from being on the road. Value: This is a seriously nice piece of machinery from Roland. It sound amazing and everything, but in reality, that's pretty expensive. You could buy a Gibson Explorer or SG for a similar price. I definitely think that the price needs to be lowered on this. If it was somewhere around the $700-$800 range, I would go out and buy one in a heartbeat. Even so, I'm almost positive I'll be buying one anyone because its so awesome! Manufacturer Support: I never had experience with Roland support The Wow Factor: Intuitive interface, nice bright screen. This is one sexy piece of equipment. Overall: All in all, if you can drop the cash, go for it. This machine is definitely one you won't want to miss out on.

"Slightly disappointed" submitted December 22, 2010

Musical Background: Band member
Sound: To be honest I'm still getting my head round this, right now I,m using a VG8 system with a Godin LGX SA through a Music man amp I have changed the speaker to a EV 12inch, to me it sounds great (and a lot of people say so too at our gigs) I'm sure it must be brilliant once I've sorted it out, but its just not as straight forward as the VG8 was,,, and it looks like I got to find some more money for the FC300 :( Feature: out of the box it was just the Vg99, to use this live I'm going to need a stand and a foot controller didn't tell me that at the shop !! good job my guitar is fitted with the pickup needed to run this thing ...but I knew that !!! most sounds need tweeking for my needs ... Ease of Use: Think you have gathered I,m not finding this that easy I recon its going to take me a couple of weeks or even months to get the VG on the road ... Quality: I cant comment on reliability because I havnt had it long ..but its Roland and I'm a fan Value: To be fare there is nothing else out there that does what this claims to do but it is expencive and you need more equiptment to run it dont even get a bag thats extra !! Manufacturer Support: Roland have never let me down The Wow Factor: Because I love my VG8 I though this would be loads better maybe it should come with a tutorial DVD Overall: To Expencive to disguard I'm sure I'll look back next year and say how brilliant this is

When you call, mention priority code 172Q-SJW0. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976