866-ZZOUNDS (866-996-8637)
When you call, mention priority code 20N-Z2KC

Rating and Reviews: Roland RD-64

Powered by Roland's expressive SuperNATURAL piano engine, the RD-64 stage piano's 64 keys are fully weighted with escapement -- yet it weighs only 28 pounds.

"This little guy gets funky." submitted May 12, 2013

By Tyler T in Torrington, CT
Musical Background: 15 years on Guitar and 7 years on keyboards
Music Style: Funk, Classic Rock, R&B, Folk Rock, Indie... all the good stuff.
Overall: I've waited a long time for something like this. I'm a guitar/keyboard player who is obsessed with vintage sounds. I started with a Casio privia, but it quickly became evident that I'd need an upgrade. I got a used nord e2 and hooked it up to the casio as a midi controller. I just couldn't get into the sounds.. the velocity switching was too dramatic for my taste. Sold that and picked up a new Kurzweil sp8-4. It had amazing Ep's and organs, but the acoustic piano was god awful sounding. Too metallic and mid rangy..(I know I'm picky right?). Anyway.. after NAMM 2013 it was between the new Casio Px 5s, and the RD 64. I initially thought the Casio was better in terms of with it could do, and I'm sure for some it will be. For me the ep's sounded too boxy and fake, and I wondered who long I could handle the stark white color. The limited range of the Rd's 64 for notes had me worried, but I went for it anyway and I'm really happy with it so far. The ep's sound amazing live and the velocity switching is very smooth, it almost feels like you're playing the real thing. I'm not much of a organ player but I love the b3 that it has. This is not the keyboard a organ player would be interested it but it fills that slot well. I do think the top rotors on the leslie sim accelerate to fast, and the bottons are a bit far away for real organ playing, not a deal breaker for me.. (ie not a organ player). The Clavs are totally usable, especially with a real wah pedal. The Acoustic piano's are great, the quality is there, but they sound a bit compressed. Probably best represented in stereo, but I'm a mono guy. They seem to be at a lower volume than the other samples too, so you have to give yourself more head room on the PA, or amp. They cut through a band mix fine with a little onboard eqing.. again not a deal breaker. So all in all I'm very pleased with it, my band loves the sounds and are exited for the new material it leads itself to. I didn't give it a 5 star rating because I feel there's always room for improvement. This is for people who need and quick and easy board with great vintage sounds to hit some dates with.

"RD-64" submitted March 23, 2015

By Larry D in Pahoa, HI
Musical Background: keyboards and guitar
Music Style: Rock, blues, country, Island regge
Overall: The quality of this keyboard is just what I was looking for. Top notch feel and sound in a compact package that doesn't feel and sound like a kids toy. This keyboard feels very solid and the keys are very responsive with a very natural feel. The sound is very natural also, but can depend on what you are playing through. My only complaint is the sound output volume between the piano settings and the organ settings, no way to balance other that physical volume change on each use.

"Great decision" submitted September 30, 2015

By Louis Watson in West Orange, NJ
Overall
Musical Background: Vocalist/Piano/Keys Playing professionally for over 35 years
Music Style: jazz, pop, r&b, reggae
Overall: So glad I purchased this instrument. In all my years of playing, this has been my all time favorite setup. Wasn't quite sure if I could get by with 64 keys, then I thought about all the music Ray Charles and Donny Hathaway made with their 64 key wurlitzer and the decision was made. Plus they couldn't change octaves like you can on the RD-64. Sounds are decent, but where it works for me is plugged into Apple's MainStage, playing their instruments as well as pianoteq 5 through MainStage. I get the sounds I want, when I want them, the portability, the action and control. Love being able to load into a gig in one trip with my keys over my shoulder. Love setting up and enjoying what I'm playing and hearing.

"Roland RD-64" submitted August 31, 2015

By Steve H in Burlington, NC
Musical Background: ProfessionL since about 1985
Music Style: Variety. Blues, Beach(old R&B) Country
Overall: Great sound and easy to carry. I don't see why they didn't put strings and a brass section instead of 3 clavinovas. It would have been a much better rounded product.

"On the pianissimo and fast parts this piano is an absolute sucker" submitted September 8, 2013

By Rebetiko P
Overall
Musical Background: Professional musician, Singing, Piano, Guitar, Bouzouki, Composing
Music Style: Blues, Rebetiko
Overall: I have this piano for about 2-3 months now and have been making money with it every day as a street musician. I needed a compact piano with weighted action and a decent onboard piano sound, so when this came out I grabbed it right away. I use it in combination with a Roland KC-110 amplifier. It seems like a reliable sturdy piano so far. Being shorter than an 88keys piano is an advantage for transporting it through the subway every day. A longer piano would oscillate more and that would have a negative consequence on the keybed on the long term. On the other hand it is not as short as it could be for a 64keys piano and it is rather heavy for a piano that doesn't have its own speakers. It is heavier than many 88key pianos with onboard speakers. The action is really hard to get used to. I have been playing on a Kawai ES-4 with an "advanced hammer action 4" before I buy the Roland and it seems that this keybed can't compete with the Kawai on the fast parts. I keep struggling to include all the notes that I included with the Kawai on my performances, but it seems really hard to do that with the Roland. Trying not to drop the detail of the articulation I had with the Kawai, I struggle and struggle with the Roland and loose the smooth mellow feeling that came easy with the Kawai. On the pianissimo and fast parts this piano is an absolute sucker. Also the left and right output for the amplifier and the headphone output are really low volume. The volume of the headphone is really low and cannot function in parallel with the audio left and right outputs, so you can't monitor what you are playing with headphones as you play together with other musicians. The piano sound has some problems too. At many times the high pitched notes sound twice. Once when I hit the key, and once again a fraction of a second later. In addition when you turn the resonance effect on (second button default effect) the bass becomes muddy and the amplifier distorts even at low volume. The keyboard and the sound of the Roland do not seem connected at all, compared to Kawai digital instruments. Of course it doesn't feel like an acoustic piano at all. Then again, Roland doesn't make acoustic pianos. Despite all the negative things about the Roland RD-64, this piano did what it was bought to do. It helped me share my music on the street and I have already raised the money I spent for the piano, the amplifier, the battery, the microphones, the inverter, the stands, the compressor, the carrying cases and the hand truck. So know, I'm looking forward for my brand new Kawai ES-7 that will be staying always at home where I can develop my fast and expressive finger technique, something that couldn't be done with the Roland RD-64.
10 of 18 people (55.56%) found this review helpful. Did you?

866-zZounds (866-996-8637)
When you call, mention priority code 20N-Z2KC. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976

Seen it for less somewhere else? Get it for less at zZounds. Simply click the “Seen it for less?” link on any product page and as long as we‘re not losing money, we‘ll beat any legitimate competitor‘s lowest price, usually within two hours. Want our best price even faster? Call us at 866-zZounds (866-996-8637), and we‘ll provide you with a lower price on the phone. Also, if you purchase from us and later find the product for less elsewhere, call or email us within 45 days, and we‘ll refund you the difference.

Buy it, try it, like it, or return it to us for a full refund. It‘s just that simple. If you‘re not in love with what you bought, return it to zZounds within 45 days, and we‘ll promptly arrange for an exchange or a refund. No hassles. No hidden charges. And if a product‘s defective or damaged, call us at 866-zZounds (866-996-8637), and we‘ll email you a prepaid shipping label so you can easily return it to us at zero cost to you.

Simply click the Seen it for less? link next to the gear you want or call us at 866-zZounds (866-996-8637)