When you call, mention priority code 161J-Y4YZ

Rating and Reviews: Roland KC550 Keyboard Amp

Be heard on stage with 180 watts of clear, deep power, thanks to the Roland KC-550 keyboard amp, with four sets of stereo inputs for all your gear.

"The stuff" submitted May 5, 2007

By a customer from bamlett.com
Musical Background: R/E
Music Style: Jazz
Sound: I don't think you can find anything that gives comparable sound in its unique category. It was like hearing a 19' Bosendorf while playing my FP3. The bass and mid bass were the most like hearing a real grand. I know I've owned a couple. The higher I went up in pitch the less the keys sounded like the real thing but that makes sense since there is no way to get the surface area of three grand strings into that tiny little compression driver lens they use on the horn in the 550. Now if they'd used a compression driver with a 4'' titanium lens then you may get the sound of a real piano because you'd be able to deliver the kind of air a real piano delivers off the strings. The sampled sounds in a realistic sounding keyboard synth have already captured the resonance of the surrounding reflective surfaces so the only thing left to do is deliver roughly the same amount of moving air to get the density of sound (presence) for the highs. In order to do that roland would have to charge another 500.00 to put in a high frequency driver of that quality and the price of the cab would be very high. Therefore the sound of the roland 550 is about as great as can be expected for the price. Feature: You could go on forever adding features once you incorporate a 4 channel mixer in the system. However for the money I can add features like reverb, compression, and such. The only feature that I think is truly missing from this cabinet is the ability to switch the amp from 110 volt to 220 for international touring. These days anyone who misses that is living in the dark ages and I have to say that Roland is sadly remiss in many of it's products for not equipping their musical products with obvious dual voltage (preferably auto sensing) features. Ease of Use: It doesn't get much easier than this. Quality: I just got the amp so I have yet to learn its weaknesses. New it looks great. I'd probably have preferred one of the newer rubberlike finishes instead of the more old fashioned carpet surface which looks great out of the box but on the road and even at home it picks up every speck of dust in the world and every piece of velcro that passes by grabs hold of it. Not to mention that my cats are constantly being reprimanded and sent outside for thinking I bought it as a scratching post. Value: For the price I paid there was no equal anytime anywhere at any price that I know of that could compete. Manufacturer Support: So far I have not needed support for any roland products. I once tried to inform them of an unscrupulous retailer (seriously criminal) in another country and Roland USA head office had no way to process my complaint nor did anyone ever get back to me. The Wow Factor: I loved everything about it except the carpet. The carpet looks great but it is hard to keep looking great. For those who don't smoke but sometimes play where there is smoke -- that stench always comes home with them and it never comes out. Overall: I just got it so it is hard not to like it at this point. It was the best I could find... in fact I'd ordered a 350 and they sent a 550. For a couple days I thought I'd just forgotten how large it was and then talked to the rep who said he'd upgraded me because there was a technical problem with the one I'd ordered.
61 of 65 people (93.85%) found this review helpful. Did you?

Roland KC550 Keyboard Amp Customer Review submitted April 13, 2004

Music Style: Everything.
Sound: I knew of this amp's legacy long before I bought it, and it met every expectation. I tried it in the store, and it reproduced the lowest piano note with a true rich tone. TONS OF BASS!!!!ABSOLUTELY AMAZING PUNCHY TIGHT LOW END!!! I am using this with a full band, and it cut through the rest of the instruments even with half volume. Feature: This amp has four channels, one of them being a mic input. I imagine it would be great as a solo gigging PA, but haven't tried a mic in it yet. However, I bought this for a guitar synth, so both the keyboard player and my synth are going simultaneously, and this amp handles us both with ease. Value: I didn't check out any other amps, but I'm pretty sure this one sounds better than just about anything else out there. But I still wish it were cheaper :(
43 of 46 people (93.48%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Looking for a great amp? STOP...You've found it!" submitted July 9, 2004

By a customer from cfl.rr.com
Music Style: Gospel and counry
Sound: I play Roalnd's V-Drums on this amp.The sound is great.We can plug the bass guitar in, at the same time, and both instruments sound great. Feature: The built in 4 channel mixer, stereo links, and aux in's, make it very versatile. Quality: It's got a heavy carpet cover, all coners have metal protectors, easy roll casters underneath, and a steel grill on the front. Value: Sounds better than other brands more expensive units. Manufacturer Support: I experienced a power surge and burned out the power pack. I took it to a local Roland repair center and had it back in one day. The Wow Factor: The unit is sleek and black. The front slopes back and projects the sound up and out. Like leaning a regular amp back against a wall. Overall: When I wear this one out...I'll look at a new Roland!
11 of 12 people (91.67%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"KC 500" submitted May 2, 2013

By Winston Wallace in Napa, CA
Overall
Musical Background: I am a professional keyboardist and have played professionally for 50 years. I started when I was 11.
Music Style: I have played virtually every kind of music, I even played at a Gypsy funeral once. You name it, I have played it.
Overall: This model predates the KC 550. I have had it for about 18 years, have played well over 1,000 dates plus enumerable rehearsals, and it is still going strong. I would love to have a new one to compliment mine but the economy, as a musician, is tough. I would recommend this amp to anyone, anytime. They made me enter a review for manufacturer support but I have never needed it.

"Great sounding speaker for big venues" submitted November 6, 2004

Music Style: christian
Sound: very clean, ..warm , ..articulate ...and powerful sound. ...i've only used it in my home. ...it has a tweeter, and 15" speaker, so if you want that loud deep bass sound, it's there. Feature: has a main eq, ..high, mid, low, ....4 channels..stereo, ..one of the channels also has a low impedence input, ..ie for mics ...individual channels have volume knob only, ..and then there's a main volume knob. ....you can run a non powered output from the speaker, ...i wish it also had a powered out to run external speakers as well, ..but it doesn't have that...but you can connect it to other kc speakers to run it in stereo ....overall, it has almost everything a keyboard player needs. Quality: it looks tough and i haven't had any problems with it so far, ...if i had to, i would depend on it for live gig use.....although it's always good idea to have some sort of backup. ...but this speaker looks solid Value: i got it for a good deal ..but i think it's also worth the going price as well. it's a good product....i really haven't come across any "keyboard amps" per se, that sound better than the roland kc series, in particular this one. The Wow Factor: i tell you what, ...if you want a 'powerful' sounding keyboard amp, ..this is the one. But the thing is, not everyone 'needs' a 'powerful' amp, ...this amp has a very clean warm nice sound to it, ..but it also has the capability to make the walls shiver and give you a headache due to the enormous bass that this is able to deliver, ..not everyone needs that kind of capability in a speaker, ...especially if you're just going to be using it as a practice amp at home. ....but if you're going to be playing live at bigger venues also and need the volume and punch and clarity, ....you'll need this Overall: this speaker is more than what i need at the moment, in terms of power, ...it has a horn tweeter and a 15" speaker with 180 watts..... so it has the capacity needed for me in the future when i will be playing in bigger venues, ... whenever this speaker is in my room and my roland rs50 keyboard is plugged to it, i have the speaker only on about 25% of what it's capable of, ..because i don't need the amazing bass it is capable of while i'm practicing in my room, ....but it's capability becomes necessary in live performance situation when you're in a bigger environment, ...so it's pretty versatile. ...All in all, ...it's a very good quality speaker, ...i don't think there is anything you can say bad about it in terms of it's performance.

Roland KC550 Keyboard Amp Customer Review submitted January 11, 2008

Sound: Very good sound. Manufacturer Support: Tweeter blown after 6 months. From what I've heard this is a recurring problem with the KC550. Now, tweeter's on back order - come on! Overall: I have a 30 year old Acoustic Control Corp amp that is more dependable.

"Good warm, rich, deep electronic voices but not good for acoustic piano" submitted September 28, 2010

Overall
Sound: This amp is great for strings, percussion, bass, electric vintage keys, etc. However when trying to play a full concert grand sound from my Yamaha Motif XS8 it absolutely fails to deliver...it is a huge dissapointment....the piano sound is like something coming out from a tin box. I am trying to sell this and buy high end PAs. Feature: The amp offers low, mid, high and power boost adjustments. The rollers are key! Ease of Use: Easy, simple to use. Value: For acoustic piano patches....the value is bad. Good for all other patches on your keyboard...warm bass and other electronic voices.

Roland KC550 Keyboard Amp Customer Review submitted July 9, 2006

Overall
Musical Background: classical trained, thrash/metal keyboardist
Manufacturer Support: tweeters blow so much that theyre constantly on back order. Overall: the tweeter issue ruins it.

When you call, mention priority code 161J-Y4YZ. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976