When you call, mention priority code 16JR-N1GQ
  • Mon, Tue, Wed 8AM - 10PM (EST)
  • Thur Closed
  • Fri 8AM - 10PM (EST)

Rating and Reviews: Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth

MIDI-fy your guitar with the Roland GK-3 pickup -- then put 900 inspiring and fully editable sounds at your feet with the GR-55 guitar synth pedal.

"We broke up, but we are together again at last!" submitted October 31, 2011

Musical Background: Working musician
Music Style: all but country
Sound: Let me start by saying that this is the second time I bought this unit. The first time I sold it because I needed money and because I had only one gripe with the unit. The problem was that I missed using my guitar in regards to volumes, feel and also the whammy bar. With the pickup system on the Gr-55 I would dive bomb and hit the pickup and the wail would just end. Also, even though the guitar models,amps,pedal effects etc are pretty good, they did not have the feel and complete sound I was akin to...those two reasons are why I sold it. Then I realized after a few gigs of playing out without the GR-55 that I really missed it. The reason I had to get it back is that the synth sounds on this thing are nothing short of awe inspiring. Add to that with the proper adjustment of the pickup and calibration menu (which will take some time to get right) the tracking is phenomenal compared to past relics. I use the piano,sax,harmonica,church bell, and other cool synth pads and bass effects that add a whole new dimension to our sound and the expression on peoples faces in the crowd add joy to having this gem. One more thing that I really missed was the thumb drive plug in which I utilze to its full potential by putting samples on it and adding them to our songs. For instance we play Children of the Grave by Sabbath and when it gets to the bridge I trigger Vincent Price doing the Thriller speech over the juggernaught sounding drums and guitar. There are so many things you can do with this great sounding unit that I can say literally I can't part with it. Feature: Like I said the USB thumb drive adds a great dimension to this unit, also it is great to load guitar backing tracks to the drive and then jam with sounds on the GR-55; it's like having the e-band and a synth in one! The addition of having two PCMS playing at once or controlling them in one patch with or without the guitar is great too. The only thing that I find this unit lacks is an XLR output and a dedicated guitar input to use the moldeled guitar tones to have a more authentic guitar feel and tone, but this is a synth unit so I have accepted that and bought the Eleven Rack to work that end of the spectrum and together they are the shiznit. Ease of Use: It does take some time to understand the setup of custom sounds as you will find that you may have artiufacts from the preset that was installed if you do not go through everything and set it exactly as you want it. But, the presets are also a great place to start to get inspiration to build your sound and keep the paramaters of the patch. Just expect to take some time getting used to the interface and jumping back and forth through menus quite often. I have not tried the librian so I don't know if that is an easier alternative, but all in all I could not think of a btter way of making the unit more user friendly. Quality: I did have an issue with the first units GK-3 pickup on the A pickup where it would be faint at times and also there is a screw that hides the wires to the GK-3 that came out on the first one and it was lost. The second unit had the same problem with the screw, so I used some locktite to take care of that. Besides those two issues it is built strong and holds up well for live use. Value: I think this is a great value for everything you get. So much so that I bought it again even after losing money on the sale of the first one Manufacturer Support: N/A

"Gotta get it, gotta get it!!! I GOT IT! " submitted November 6, 2012

By Louis A in San Juan, PR
Musical Background: I write and record my own music
Music Style: Hard rock, pop-rock and blues.
Overall: I purchased the Roland VG-99 a few years ago, and hands down, it's a great piece of guitar modeling equipment, though very expensive! The VG-99 models two voice outputs which is awesome to say the least. But where the VG-99 stops, the GR-55, for about half the price does all of the two voice modeling the VG-99 does, but goes way further by adding two more additional voices which are based on keyboard and synth sounds - over 900 of them. Just think, you can have voice 1 doing a concert piano, voice 2 doing background strings, voice 3 doing a COSM guitar sounding like an electric12-string, and voice 4 using you guitar's normal pickups - with built-in effects and distortion. All or any combination of the 900 instruments plus all of the guitar modeling capability of the VG-99. The GR-55's interface is about 10 times easier to understand and begin using than the VG-99. BTW, the 900 sounds sound like real instruments. My wife who's totally against these gadgets, was visibly impressed when she heard the piano sound coming out of my guitar's amp. This GR-55 is just amazing. You gotta get it!

"It's SOOO Good!" submitted March 11, 2013

By Brent B in Atlanta, GA
Musical Background: Playing 40 years
Music Style: Jazz, R&B, Ambient, Gospel
Overall: I recently ordered the GR55...and am only sorry I hadn't gotten into guitar sythesis a long time ago. The unit is well built, pretty intuitive and has a great variety of sounds. Some of the sounds I'll honestly never use but most are going to be able to be tweaked into something I can put in the rotation. If you play small coffee house gigs you can amaze your audience with pianos, strings, etc in addition to guitar with the push of a pedal. I play a Godin ACS Slim with nylon strings. It tracks well on the GR 55 with proper adjustment of string sensitivity and velocity (see YouTube video). Recording is clean and latency free. I haven't tapped all of the features but I have yet to find a critical weakness. Some of the included horns are a little cheesy but with midi hook up I can use horns from my DAW. Again, live or in studio this little box adds a good portion of magic and keeps the need for finding other musicians all the time. Bottom line: Get One!

"Roland GR-55" submitted April 5, 2012

By Larry Crocker in Ponchatoula, LA
Musical Background: Playing guitar for 46 years
Music Style: I play a variety of styles
Overall: I haven't had it long enough to even get close to all this is capable of, but in the short time I have had it I am having a blast with it.... Your imagination is the only limit......And just the little bit I have figure out has people amazed that have listened to it... I will say for certain sounds you may have to rethink your playing style... But I have no problem with that because I love learning new things when it comes to playing.....

"If i play a Roland GR-55 in the woods, will anyone hear" submitted May 21, 2011

Music Style: top 40, country, acoustic
Sound: if you are a MIDI nut, then read on. if you are thinking about being a MIDI nut, read on. If you don't use or understand MIDI on guitar, then this will be a waste of your time to read. Feature: my first Roland Guitar Synth was the GK-1/GM-70. it cost 3 times more than the GR-55, and had no sound, so you had to add an outboard sound module. i still have it in my music room. i later purchased a GR-20 with a GK-2 then GK-2A and the a GR-20/GK-3. (which cost the same as the GR-55) i say all this to let you know i really do use this unit to gig. Ease of Use: the GR-55 takes some study. if you never had a MIDI unit, it can be pretty deep until you understand the method. in the simplest form, the unit is a fancy guitar tuner that quickly determines the note you played and then makes a MIDI number that triggers a sound module. all this happens in .001 sec. what has advanced with the Roland system is the abality to track faster, and having the onboard sound the latency is very small. as a rule the higher strings track faster, but the GR-55 tracks the low E very comperable to the High E. in the GK-3 pickup set up you can adjust for string lenght ( you will need to convert inch to mm). this is a BIG step forward. also you can now store up to 10 differnt guitar settings ( when you set up the GK-3 on the guitar, you then use a simple set up menu to match your guitar to the GK-3. this makes for the fastest tracking). in the past, if you had more than 1 MIDI guitar you had to set it up and the unit only held 1 setting. with the GR-55 you can actually store up to 10 seperate guitars. I have MIDI on 2 Jaguars, 1 Strat, 1 Les Paul , 1 Micheal Kelly Hybrid and 1 Ovation acoustic. now i can plug and play with the touch of a button. If you only have 1 MIDI guitar this is a mute point (until you add another guitar with MIDI, which you will probablly do if you become a MIDI nut) Quality: the GR-55 is in a nice metal case now. has lots of expansion capabality ( which i guess i will use one day...like you adding a 2nd MIDI guitar) the Sound Module partis VERY slick. it is like getting a Roland top of the line sound module for free. (you can even MIDI into it from another device if you want to use some of the sounds). it is very easy to program, all be it most of the sounds are pretty good and pre-set. i like the CLT footswich, that has the abality to be programed to do something differnt on each sound... like a Leslie speed for organ or an Octave UP for Piano. I have not yet touched on the Guitar sounds.... so far i am just talking about the MIDI Guitar part ( yes, i play most of the simple keyboard parts in the band on the guitar ) .. very cool B-3, Honky Tonk Piano, Horns, strings and even steel drums for the electric slide (did i say that) as for actual Guitar sounds, now take a Roland multi-effect stomp box and put it i the GR-55. any (any) Roland stomp box sound is hidden in this little blue unit. Chorus, compression, distortion, flange.. all in there. NOW... take it one step more and the Guitar Stomp Box can also take the MIDI Guitar signal and process the Guitar. you will need a #2 pencil and a legal pad now. You can play a B-3 sound (from the Guitar MIDI sound part), with a nice Chorus on the Guitar (form the Guitar processor part) , and add a 12 string acoustic simulator ( from the MIDI Guitar part of the Guitar processor) and take the guitar direct out to one amp (and it has modeling on the output too), the MIDI sound module (like the keys sounds) out to another amp (i do this all the time) and make more noise and have more fun than a monkey in a barrel... on a Tuesday, in the rain even. Value: the GR-55 costs less and offers many times more the power of any previous Roland Guitar Midi unit. Manufacturer Support: I rank this based on the last time i needed support from Roland. it was 1986 and Al Gore had not even invented the internet. but they sent me schematics, parts and everthing i needed to fix an issue then (that was caused by gravity, not manufacture failure) in the last 20 some years, i have not had a Roland product fail. The Wow Factor: IF you are a Guitar MIDI nut, this is the next unit in the eveloution. more sounds than Lassie can jump over, quick response (if you had an older unit then you know what i am saying) I have not been able to out pick it yet (which was very common in the older units) if you are a weekend warrior and your band needs some keys, but you only have guitars, give it a try. i have played "MIDI Keys" on guitar for..well a long time. has paid for itself over and over and over again. Overall: one last note... so far i only mentioned the GUITAR part. I also play BASS. mostly 5 sting Spectors, but i do have a Hofner and a 62 Jass. I have 1 (one) bass pick-up set up. i have only used it on the 5 string as an experment. the GR-55 can handle the BASS GK-3B with just a simple set up change. for as much as i sing the praises of the MIDI Guitar, i have never found the MIDI Bass to be much value to me (maybe i play to many walking lines). it tracks OK, and maybe on a slow song you could add strings. BUT.... one LAST note. one of the bands i play in has a Steel Guitar player. He uses the GR-33 on the top set, and places the GK-2 to pick up 6 of the stings ( you would need to seach MIDI Steel Guitar for details). eventually the GR-55 will become the Steel Guitar standard for MIDI, i am sure. i already see a few players using the GR-55. MIDI Steel Guitar is an entire chapter and i will only give you the option the seach if you are looking for that type setup.
74 of 78 people (94.87%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Roland GR-55 Guitar Synthesizer" submitted July 3, 2014

By Doug F in Adrian, MO
Overall
Musical Background: 40-plus years guitarist, including professionally, some teaching, home recording. Bass, Mandolin, Ukulele as well.
Music Style: Rock, Blues, Progressive Rock, Fusion, some Jazz and Classical.
Overall: At first glance I figured that the latest guitar synthesizer by Roland, the GR-55, was probably just an improvement over their previous guitar synth product, the GR-33 (which was pretty darn cool in it's own right). However, I stand corrected as it is much, much more. Not only is it a guitar synthesizer with the ability to layer two distinctly different sounds or "tones" in the same "patch", but it is also a guitar modeler and an amp modeler to boot!. Although I had read something along these lines prior to purchasing the GR-55, it was still quite a pleasant surprise as to how accurate was it's performance of these myriad functions both collectively and separately. Not just another in a long line of guitar multi-effects etc, but truly an advancement in the overall world of combined modeling, guitar synth and multi-effects possibilities. The tracking is better than ever. Altered tuning's are a breeze. Acoustic and electric guitar models are quite awesome. Plus it features great looping abilities as well. A small compartment on the units side can house a jump-drive to play mp3's along with everything else if so desired. Oh, did I mention that it is the most simple and user-friendly device of its kind that I have ever seen as well. Quick editing "on the fly" with the "E-Z edit" feature and/or all the deep editing parameters are very intuitive and simple to use. Endless creative possibilities for hours on end. Various output settings allow you to use any setup, be it line-in to the PA, your fave amp combo or stack, or both! Along with my GK-3 (13-pin synth pickup) equipped axe, the GR-55 along with a few output cables are all I need to bring to the gig. Enjoy!

"Roland GR-55 Guitar Synthesizer" submitted April 8, 2012

By George Y in Charleston, SC
Overall
Musical Background: 30 years...guitars, drums, and mandolin. Jam at home for fun.
Music Style: Rock, Country, and Blues.
Overall: This unit is amazing...! The sounds that it can produce are amazing...it allows me to sound much better than my true skill levels. It is also a tremendous amount of fun...makes you want to play your guitar. I am very glad I bought it!

"Simply Fantastic" submitted March 9, 2014

By Ryan Long in Fort Worth, TX
Overall
Musical Background: 20 years playing, gigging, home recording experience on guitar, bass, and vocals
Music Style: Rock, pop, progressive rock, jam band
Overall: I absolutely love my GR-55. This unit has a bit of a learning curve, so let me offer some potentially helpful tips.First, the one and only weak point in this unit is the speaker emulation. I do not recommend using the speaker emulation for direct recording - instead, feed the amp simulator into a speaker impulse in your DAW. Doing this, I am able to get incredibly convincing sounds for any amp style.Similarly, when you use the GR-55 live, you'll get the best guitar sounds by running the unit through a power amp and into guitar speakers. Sounds GORGEOUS! The synthesized sounds should be run through full-range speakers, but they still sound pretty good, even through a guitar cabinet. Fortunately the GR-55 allows you to do both.If you know any keyboardists, then you already know that synthesized sounds aren't intended to be used as "stand alone" sounds. That's why you never hear any keyboardists using the "oboe" patch on their keyboard. Instead, the intention is to BLEND two synthesized sounds with the guitar modeled sounds to gain a richer palette. Blending string sounds with acoustic guitar sounds, for example, gives a dense and beautiful "reverb" effect. When I use the sitar emulator, I blend the "natural" sitar sound from the hex pickup with two different sitar synthesized tones to get the richest possible sitar effect - and it is gorgeous! So the secret to this machine is BLEND and MIX your tones!Tracking is not an issue once you learn to expect that piano sounds coming from bendable guitar strings are bound to sound a little funny. Learn to play the GR-55, and you will have a blast.The modeled guitar sounds are all EXCELLENT. I'm really surprised. Triple-O module detuned a fifth sounds EXACTLY like a rich baritone acoustic. P-bass sounds exactly like my real P-bass! Amazing!I am just blown away. This is the coolest and most useful piece of guitar equipment I've purchased in a long time. Well worth it! I don't have a Roland-Ready Strat, but now I'm saving up for one!

"Crazy good fun." submitted December 4, 2013

By Ryan L in Fort Worth, TX
Overall
Musical Background: 20 years' experience live performance and home recording.
Music Style: Rock, jam band, progressive rock, avant garde
Overall: How do I say this? There are certain people who buy guitar synthesizers thinking that they can just play the way they normally play, but instead their guitar will sound like a sax or a piano or a marimba. If you're this kind of person, don't even bother. You won't be happy with a guitar synthesizer. Just buy a keyboard and learn how to play that instead.The GR-55 has piano sounds and sax sounds and marimba sounds. (And a whole lot more.) But you're still playing *a guitar*. Do not expect that you can play "Arpeggios From Hell" using a MIDI triggered steel drum sound and have it sound like Calypso-Yngwie, you know? The purpose of all these MIDI sounds is to create sonic blends and textures that would otherwise be unavailable. Play the GR-55 like you're playing a guitar, because *you are* playing a guitar.Once you wrap your head around that, this thing becomes the greatest machine ever. It can model any type of guitar. It can model sitar. You can create 12-string sitar sounds (seriously) in any key and any tuning. You can model a variety of great amps (I suggest bypassing the speaker sims and using either a real guitar cabinet or an impulse). You can create ambient sounds or use xylophone tones to create a more percussive attack. You can play bass on guitar. You can create wild synth sounds. I mean, the possibilities are almost limitless.I am not a big "effects guy." I thought I would dislike this thing. But I love it. I can do anything with it. Paired with a good DAW setup, a good speaker cabinet, and a good PA, you can basically do anything. I don't know what else to say. I'm blown away.Invest some time into figuring out how make your own voice with this thing. Don't just play "piano sounds on guitar." Think like a keyboardist: utilize the product's polyphony and create unique-but-usable sounds that would otherwise be impossible to create. If this sounds appealing to you, then trust me: You will love this thing. But if you think you can just turn your guitar into a Hammond organ or something... have more reasonable expectations.This thing rules.

"Disabled, on disability but still able to get the items I need from ZZounds" submitted September 30, 2013

By Donald Murphy in Brooklyn, NY
Overall
Musical Background: Since grade school, non pro on a variety of instruments
Music Style: I like contempory jazz
Overall: You can get quality musical equipment from anywhere but when you're on a special budget and you're in need of some equipment that way out of your budget range you need to consider ZZounds. I've been purchasing equipment from them for years and as newer equipment hits the market and I would like to try it out I go directly to ZZounds. Thye've always been considerate, courteous, patient, informative and last but not least, always willing to set you up with whatever you're in the mood for and or looking to buy. I truly wanted to experience the new Roland GR-55 and have. I went directly to ZZounds and after a short accessment of my present situation they allowed me an installment plan,one of which they allowed me before when I was desperate and in need for some equipment. To you ZZounds and as always "Bless and Thank you". DMurph

"Roland GR-55 Guitar Synthester" submitted October 31, 2012

By David Sauer in Temecula, CA
Musical Background: have been playing guitar at home for 40 + years
Music Style: I have changed over the years as popularity has changed every thing from folk and clasical to rock and jazz
Overall: I love it. It is everything that I expected and I have enjoyed using it daily.even having a problem whith a missing part, zZounds and Roland were very helpful and I had the entire order whithin a week of ordering.

"Awesome way to not worry about a keyboardist" submitted April 29, 2014

By Sheldon Bonada in Culver City, CA
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing for 21 years. I primarily play bass but I can also play a Lap Steel, Keys, moog taurus pedals and vocals.
Music Style: Progressive Rock, Classic Rock, Latin Jazz, Jazz, Classical
Overall: I've always have trouble finding a reliable keyboardist. Either they suck or are too busy. The GR-55 totally gave me options to play and cover songs with heavy keyboards. Now I have two awesome guitarists, one is lead and the other is lead/rhythm/keyboards. Full sounds with the minimum amount of people.

"A great addition for recording my own songs at home" submitted February 26, 2014

By Mark Forcier in Melbourne, FL
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing off and on for about 50 years. Mostly just play at home or at the occasional party or beach bash.
Music Style: 60' & 70's style soft rock.
Overall: I'm a song writer and have been recording my music on my home computer. I wanted to be able to enhance my songs with the sounds of different instruments and effects. The Roland GR-55 has given me the ability to do that. I use it with a Godin XTSA synth guitar. I bought the version of the synthesizer without the GK3 pickup to save the $100 more it would have cost to get version with the GK3 pickup, because the Godin has a built in pickup. Looking back now I should have gone ahead and spent the extra $100 because I found out afterwards that neither my guitar or the non GK3 pickup version came with the cable needed to hook up the guitar to the synthesizer. I had to spend an extra $50 to get that cable. The Roland GR-55 that includes the pickup also includes the cable, so you are really only paying an extra $50 to get the pickup that I might have been able to use on another guitar someday. So think about that when you are trying to decide what version of synthesizer to buy.

"GR-55" submitted April 12, 2012

By Robert W in Big Sandy, TN
Overall
Musical Background: 45 years, Professional, Guitar, Drums, Keyboard, Harmonica, Violin
Music Style: All types
Overall: I have been playing for years and this unit has opened up new possibilities for me. I'm a mediocre keyboard player so it always took longer to record the other instruments. I had to learn the piece and then record it. Now I can play it on the guitar. Each instrument has it's own mechanics so don't expect to do a pull-off using a piano it doesn't work well. The set up is important for smooth tracking as well as the way you play and type of pick or fingering you use. The COSM is great it's like having access to a multitude of pickups guitars and amps. I have compared them to some of the real equipment and I can't tell the difference. I am getting a internal one for my STRAT. I would recommend this unit for anyone that plays a guitar. Even if you don't use the MIDI the other goodies are well worth the price. There is a high learning curve to use this unit because of all the adjustment and control you have. The GR-55 is one of the best composition tools I have ever used.

"Roland GR-55 Guitar Synthesizer and Roland GK Fender Strat" submitted July 17, 2013

By Lonnie S in Clayton, NC
Musical Background: Guitar 15 years
Music Style: Christian / Blues
Overall: A guitarist must have. With this and a Roland Gk ready Fender Strat you can get rid of all your lose pedals and other guitars. I'am very pleased with my purcahase of both items from the quality stand point and performance of both. I have wrote a couple of patches one for acoustic and one for a les paul so I can use one Guitar for our church services. I also must say that zzounds is amazing to buy from and work with. There pay as you play and free shipping along with the best price why buy anywhere else.The only negative that I had at all is the owners manual for the GR-55 synth. The functions are not explained very well, so after calling there support line a few times and with some hands I'm off to the races.

"Great versatility and tons of sounds" submitted June 25, 2013

By Pete P in Boca Raton, FL
Overall
Musical Background: Playing Guitar 40 years. Home Recording.
Music Style: Heavy Rock, Metal
Overall: I do a lot of creative multitrack recording and as a guitarist I wanted to get more sounds out of my guitar. This unit definitely does that. Hear how I used it on my latest YouTube song/video- "Transformation” on my channel PetepopGTR1. The synth comes in around the 1:30 mark. You can hear the cello, piano and string sounds. They sound awesome. I'd give it 5 stars but I'm a pretty fast player and sometimes certain patches can't keep up with me. Also some patches have an attack that is delayed so you can’t use those patches when you’re shredding. You can get lost in the editing of the sounds if you want to modify them. There are countless variables you can change. It does have some odd glitches when saving them though. Many users have posted the same complaint on various forums. That’s another reason to give 4 instead of 5 stars. The acoustic guitar patches are really amazing.

"gr 55" submitted April 13, 2014

By matthew holme in Morwell, NA
Musical Background: 30 years guitar clasical and metal blues jazz
Music Style: Steve vai style pertruci style blues jazz and clasical
Overall: Divided puck up issue when mounting on my peavey guitar very tight fit between bridge and humbucker I find the nylon clasical guitar sounds to be very digital fake sounding how ever les paul tones are of the wall gutsy sustain piano amazeing glass Cielo sounds like a sick chook on heat

"Fast responce" submitted September 13, 2012

By Caesar C in Falfurrias, TX
Musical Background: Over 30 years playing guitar
Overall: This is the first time I ordered from zZounds, plan to order again in the future. Play as you pay is the best idea zZounds came up with.

"If you can still deal with LATENCY in 2012........" submitted April 17, 2012

By C V in Denver, CO
Musical Background: Semi-pro
Sound: The sounds are decent but a bit dated. VERY obvious latency on the more percussive patches. This is more of a guitar processor than synth--sounds best on the dual guitar/pad patches. If you're into adding 'atmosphere' to your guitar sound then this is right up your alley. Oh and seriously--the distortions are ridiculously over the top...sheesh! Feature: NO 1/4" input?!? Synth input only. Solid metal build though and GREAT large LCD screen. Ease of Use: Very easy to get sounds. Setup is crucial mind you....RTM... Quality: Solid. Value: A bit on the pricey side for basically a fancy processor... Manufacturer Support: No support needed yet The Wow Factor: Needs a firmware update to play REAL percussive sounds convincingly on the guitar! Overall: Still looking for the midi guitar nirvana....I bought this because ONLY (now) Roland makes a guitar synth and want to use piano sounds mostly. Unfortunately the piano and similar patches are the most ANNOYING and LATENT. (NEW FIRMWARE?????)

"Roland GR-55 Guitar Synthesizer" submitted October 6, 2013

By Paul Burress in Herrin, IL
Overall
Musical Background: Iam a south paul been plying for around 40 years guitar and yes I play professionlly
Music Style: I do cover tunes. And write songs. All styles and Christian to
Overall: I love this pedal board. Great sounds, live and studio It made my CD's come alive thank you

"GR-55" submitted January 13, 2014

By Larry Z in Fort Myers, FL
Overall
Musical Background: Played trumpet and bass guitar since 1965...added keyboards & guitar in the 80's.
Music Style: Early trumpet high school big band...Bass guitar was rock, folk and R & B. Todays guitar work with the GR-55 I'm paying Reggae,
Overall: My husband uses this every night he plays and loves it. He actually utilizes it so much we just bought a second unit for back up!. And with the usb backup, he was able to make the two units identical. Thanks for such an outstanding, tough and great sounding unit!

"im too busy to write a reveiw" submitted December 3, 2013

By Meekest m
Musical Background: both
Music Style: progressive rock
Overall: the gr-55 was shipped on time and I love to play it got to go play some more now

"Amazing Instrument Opens a Whole New World!" submitted November 30, 2012

By James F in Lombard, IL
Overall
Musical Background: I have been playing 43 years, both professionally and for fun. I play mostly a Les Paul Standard with a GK-3 for midi guitar.
Music Style: Blues, rock, Latin, instrumental.
Overall: Having used the VG-99 and GR-20 for a few years, I have become an avid of Roland products. The GR-55 takes things to a new level. The presets have options built in which are activated by the expression pedal and the control button. The editing capabilities are awesome, there is even a special screen for creating your own patches. The sounds are magnificent, with lush stereo effects and very pleasant and usable combinations of sounds. The tracking is much better than the GR-20, which wasn't bad to begin with. Also, there are parameters that can be set which will keep the notes within a chromatic scale, eliminating those accidental notes from releasing a string that make synthesizers sound "fake". The unit is simple enough to have fun with right out of the box within minutes. To really get the most out of it you will need to study it a bit. I found some good tutorials online in video format which really helped me get going fast. The phrase looping function is really super-cool; you can get the one man band thing going in seconds. This unit is definitely not cheap, but it is worth every penny if you want to open up a world of creative expression. It is very high-quality in terms of construction and durability, as it has an attractive metal case with a nice large screen.

"Roland GR55 Guitar Synthesizer" submitted April 2, 2012

By Luis C in Kenner , LA
Overall
Musical Background: Over 20 years playing guitar, bass, keys, and electronics. Producer, gigging musician, enthusiast.
Music Style: Progressive rock, incorporating multiple styles.
Overall: This is the best unit of it's kind, that I have played. The tracking is excellent. The variety of sounds is huge. And, the customization of patches is very deep. I had no issues installing the pickup on my Strat. The ability to store and play audio from an optional USB drive, is a terrific, and useful bonus. I am particularly impressed with the acoustic guitar sounds, which are very realistic and responsive. I would highly recommend this product to anyone interested in guitar synth. With this unit, you have an arsenal of guitars, amps, effects, and instrument sounds, at your disposal. Plug into a PA, and it's all you will ever need. An incredible value!

"Great pedal!!!!" submitted February 20, 2012

By Luis C
Musical Background: 2 yrs, Guitar experience
Music Style: Christian
Sound: Amazing!!! Overall: This is an amazing synthesizer you can get virtually any sound that you want. It takes a little bit getting used to because there's so many options to edit the different effects. The flash drive it has is also pretty cool cause you can Play along to backing tracks on it. Roland got it right with this one. A bit expensive but worth it. If you have the money, go for it!!!!!

When you call, mention priority code 16JR-N1GQ. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976