When you call, mention priority code 173G-YM97

Rating and Reviews: PreSonus Studio Channel

More than just a mic preamp, the Studio Channel lends warm tube character to your tracks and helps shape your sound with a VCA compressor and three-band EQ.

"Eureka's got a baby brother!" submitted February 18, 2009

Musical Background: musician
Music Style: acoustic/electric roots rock
Sound: With this mic-pre,my vocals are HUGE!The compressor does a great job taming my very loud and beefy vocal style.I also love the flexibility of the compressor.EQ works well on the voice,but i'm still working with it on acoustic guitar.(i probably should change my strings) Anyway,great product and with the pricetag @ around $300.....it's a steal. Feature: The features on this baby are awesome.I love the soft-knee option and gain make-up on the compressor and the shelving/peak-dip on the EQ.The preamp has some handy features as well. Ease of Use: This is my first piece of front-end gear and it was very easy to figure out. Quality: I accidently dropped it when taking it out of the box and it's worked fine ever since. Well built. Value: Great buy! Manufacturer Support: Had questions about product when first purchased.Technician was very helpful and friendly. The Wow Factor: It does look cool mounted below my multi-tracker.The VU meter is classic,but I needed everything this unit had to offer for quality sounding recordings and it has and does still deliver. Overall: I was recording straight into my 8-track recorder using a large-d condenser(vocals and acoustic guitar)I had no mic-pre or control of dynamics other than fader riding.I was getting very decent results,but now with the studio channel I'm getting great results.This unit will bring your home recordings to the next level.

"Blown away!!!" submitted January 9, 2014

By Corey Cross in Lexington, KY
Musical Background: Professional singer/songwriter
Music Style: URBAN A/C, POP
Overall: I'm a singer/songwriter and just finished my debut LP with a new record label in LA. I am a 'Showtime At The Apollo' winner and have sang for as many as 100,000 people. I take vocal 'sound' very seriously, especially in my own writing and recording. I wasn't able to get a good vocal sound out of my gear easily. Often times some vocal takes would distort because I was using built in Mic Preamps. Then I read the reviews on the Presonus Studio Channel Tube Mic Preamp and decided all of those great reviews couldn't be wrong. Boy, was I rewarded! This thing has changed everything for me in my home recordings. I just set it up for vocals according to the specification recommendations of the manufacturer and gave it a try. Unbelievable! No distortion, clear, warm, and simple. Exactly as advertised. Don't even think about buying another mic pre for your home studio or for your studio. This thing ROCKS! Guaranteed!!! And thanks to the folks at Zzounds.com for making purchases easy.

"CLARITY" submitted October 22, 2012

By John R in Novato, CA
Musical Background: 1st year/home studio
Music Style: HIP HOP and R and B
Overall: I am very happy with my purchase.without the no interest payment plan,I might not have been able to get my well needed preamp.zZounds is where it's at!

"Must Have Item For Any Studio" submitted June 21, 2012

By Oscar D in Copperas Cove, TX
Musical Background: 18 years as a artist/producer/engineer
Music Style: Hip Hop/Rap/R&B
Overall: I picked this lil puppy up, plugged it in and starting turning knobs......WOW!!!! The sound that came from my mic (AKG C214) was awesome and it reduced the amount of effects needed in Pro Tools. For what this baby does, it could easily be priced 3 times as much. I don't really mess with the tube drive that much but depending on who I'm recording, I will add a lil tube to their vocals. The only improvement I would make to this unit is adding the power button on the front or something. Why? Because my rack is full now so in order to turn it off I have to go behind the rack and turn off the power. (My quick fix to that is having the entire rack plugged into a power strip....that way I can just flip the switch on the power stip.....not sure if that's a good idea though). Overall, you can not go wrong with this unit; especially if you want clean, transparent vocals.

"presonus does it again for a great price.." submitted March 13, 2009

Musical Background: hobbyist, active musician
Music Style: hip hop, rock, jazz
Sound: great sound especially if you learn to tweak it to your kind of music, its a very good product for your buck seriously.. ive use avalons etc.. and trust me this delivers a very good sound. not because i own one. worth every penny.
16 of 18 people (88.89%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"not bad at all" submitted October 6, 2014

Overall
Overall: Not bad, not bad at all. Used with an AT-4040 for entire project. No issues with the unit. The vu meter does work, the gain just needs to pushed for it to work (strange). However, if you stack vocals this unit probably isn't what your looking for. The sound quality breaks up when stacking.for truly professional sound I prefer the tonebeast tb12.

"Great at first put now I seem to have an issue." submitted June 19, 2014

By John K in Sacramento, CA
Overall
Musical Background: I have been producing 14 years, recording 12 years, home studios, Facilities, churches, universities, I have recorded many songs
Music Style: rock, hip-hop, electronic, Trap, Jazz, Pop
Overall: The unit functioned well for about 2 months. I don’t record vocals much, may have used it 4 times since I’ve had it.It is easy to use, and sounded great. The only problem is somehow their is an uncontrollable noise floor. At first I thought it was my mic or cable, then I plugged my mic directly into my interface and clean signal.It sounds as if someone is running a needle across my mic. little scratchy noises. it is noticeable in the recording so for now I am just using my interface. I will be contacting Pre-sonus for assistance.

"PreSonus studio or PRO VLA II?" submitted February 24, 2014

By paul g in south shore, MA
Overall
Musical Background: guitar bass drums.. im long in the tooth-sound tracks for MMA teaching DVD's
Music Style: Besides being a dyed in the wool blues man.. I really enjoy for my own self Pink Floyd type "wavy" stuff ..
Overall: I own 2VLA II's and one PreSonus Studio Channel.. preface .. I bought 2 VLA from the big "A' new and both were used.. they went back in a hurry.. got 2 NEW VLA's ZZOUNDS and the were new as could be.. then I purchased a B-stock PreSonus from ZZOUNDS and it was a mess.. after a ten minute warm up it made my cheap Dean Bass notes sound like a honey.. very very good for bass. but after 20 minutes it fizzled and the push buttons didn't light. So I returned the problem one and bought another, this new from ZZounds who were very patient, sorry about the B-stock junker sent me a pre paid shipping label and I must say at no time did I worry things would turn out fine which they have. Now to the matter at hand. I have one VLA dedicated to my MicroArranger (KORG) the other to a great stereo mike which sits in front of a cab w/two twelve' and powered by 2 Greta's (Fender) 2 watt amps isolated in another room as is another condenser which I switch between the Bass and another mike .. mono. Its really a tough call but I do know every thing that comes out of the KORG especially the drum patterns are terrific.. very easy to mix down and get em into my computer program. It use to be difficult to bring up the drums as the sound through my monitor speakers because of clipping.. no clipping now.. I have dialed in the 10 knobs and its like Pink Floyd sounding (drums) the voices are sweeter and that's a bonus.. sometimes I bypass one channel and tube the other and adjust the volume-pan on the DP 32 s and that's great also The VLA's are built like the proverbial tank.. The base sounds great but I give the nod to the PreSonus. It really is great to have the bass does not hog the spectrum of frequencies and mush up the kick pedal. The PreSonus has 16 knobs and twelve push buttons .. phantom tube gain Tube Drive compression and eq. These features are not just ornamental they actually make for big changes and they are incremental which I like. The VlA's are not, just a tight clean sweep. Also the VLA's have no phantom power as the STUDIO CHANNEL does. I bought a ROLLS external phantom for 50 bucks. doesn't add any noise and does the job.. of course your adding extra cable in but it is what it is. Should be obvious to ART that a phantom is necessary I have other non tube compressors which do a good job but having tubes you can really tell the different in the mix down.. All instruments stay isolated and you get good imagery in the final production.. I am partial to the VLA's but the PreSonus has more variables to work with and as I said the bass is great thru it. Seems like it was made for bass. Now that I confused you, for the money they both are really good.. I don't have alot of bux so I will be eating plenty of cheap soup for sometime because of these purchases. These are two very good units. If you need help with your bass or vocals I would choose the Presonus. For that matter drums sound good thru the PreSonus but its only one channel, however you can really fine tune whatever you input. where as with the VLA's you would fine tune post production. Overall these units have been a game changer for me.. very inspirational for studio work.. Live.. I don't have any idea. I have visited studio's with much higher end gear, mostly PreSonus but honestly, with my DP-32, the compressors a ZOOM G3 guitar possessor and a few other goodies I would not be embarrassed t at all to compare sonics . I'm sure the nod would go to the mega studios, I'm not that naive but I think diminishing returns would fit the high ends. Finally, once again I say I am very happy with ZZOUNDS. I won't return to "A" onless I need a can opener or something (or MP3's)

"i love this preamp i" submitted February 23, 2013

Overall
Overall: it goes a good job i goes reall well PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL USB Audio Interface

"PreSonus Studio Channel Tube Mic Preamp" submitted March 11, 2014

By Fernando S in Houston, TX
Overall
Musical Background: Professional musician over 30 years, guitar player, vocalist.
Music Style: Tejano Country Rock
Overall: I normally don't have too much time when I'm recording one of my demos at home. This little pre-amp makes my vocals sound awesome...usually in one take!

When you call, mention priority code 173G-YM97. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976