When you call, mention priority code 15Z8-4W49

Rating and Reviews: PreSonus HP4

Add four headphone jacks to your home studio with this crystal-clear distribution amplifier. Each channel has an individual volume knob and 150 mW of power.

Overall

"Transparent and powerful. Great deal for the money." submitted January 16, 2010

Musical Background: Current hobbyist, former touring musician
Music Style: Rock, Fusion, Ambient
Sound: I can't believe some of the negative things I'm reading about this headphone amp. Maybe they got unlucky, or I got lucky or... something. Mine has done nothing but work flawlessly since I bought it. It is transparent and powerful - which is exactly what I need. I haven't used the monitor out, but as a headphone amp - it's perfect. Feature: I think the manufacturer put their money into excellent sound quality. The features are sparse. I wish I could turn it off without unplugging it. I wish they had used taper pots instead of linear pots for the volume controls. The usable gain range is small. It's built solid. Ease of Use: The other side of lack of features is ease of use. There's not much to know here. Plug it in and go. Quality: For my use in the studio it has been a rock. Because it doesn't have an off switch, it's basically been running for three years continuously with no problems. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on the road. I suppose you never know for sure from looking at the outside of a product, but this one looks as if its built to take it. Value: Compared to other units that do the same job, this one is a little more expensive and has fewer features. On the other hand, the quality of the sound is considerably better than others I've used. Other people who have recorded with me have noticed how transparent it is and asked what they were listening to. Manufacturer Support: I haven't dealt with the company who made it because nothing has gone wrong with it. That's my favorite kind of service: built-in. The Wow Factor: It's a truck. There's nothing fancy about it. It wouldn't catch your eye. It just works. Overall: I don't know why I would replace it (although it's annoying that I can't turn it off). When I bought it - it was as an afterthought with a couple of sets of $250 headphones. The salesman gave me a little deal on it. For that price I didn't expect for it to be nearly as good as it is sound-wise. If it was stolen I'd probably just get another one. I can't hear the difference between plugging my phones into it - or directly into my Fireface 800. To me, that's the holy grail of headphone amps: same sound, more channels.

"A essential studio tool" submitted May 16, 2014

By Lee J in Chicago, IL
Overall
Musical Background: 35 years professionally as session vocalist and guitarist.
Music Style: Songwriter / country music
Overall: The guts of the HP4 is enclosed in a metal case. It has four inputs and each one has a volume control. I use the HP4 with high quality headphones and have no problems. There is no static, clicks, or hums. I DO NOT run my studio monitors thru the HP4 so I cannot commit on that feature. I only use the HP4 when I have guest performers over and additional headphones are required. When I mix or edit I plug my headphones in the computer interface.

"just mediocre" submitted December 28, 2007

By a customer from ebay.com
Musical Background: musician recordist
Music Style: RAWK
Sound: the main sticking point is that the monitor level control, which is active, degrades the sound quality of your signal. your monitors will sound a little "funky" and "veiled". I upgraded to the SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2, which is a passive device, only slightly more expensive, and crystal clear. The presonus I will keep to use as a headphone amp. it's decent for that. all of the pots are a little weird though. at the lower range, the left/right balance is skewed, you can hear it shift back and forth as you turn them up. this is true on all 5 of the controls. but if you need a solid headphone amp for tracking, this will do the trick. just don't expect professional sound quality as a monitor controller. for that, use the Mpatch 2 or Nano Patch, or the A Designs ATTY for the same price
10 of 13 people (76.92%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"It's alright, I guess" submitted January 19, 2013

Overall
Overall: okay so my mine gripe about this unit is that the volume knobs aren't very useful. The first quarter turn is basically on or off. It gets louder from there until just past the half way mark. The last third does nothing to increase the volume. The sound quality is great don't get me wrong. It's accurate and true to the source. Just a little too much of an all or nothing kind of thing on the volume pots. This is of course just on the headphone volume pots. I don't the monitor output section as I have a different routing set up that I like better for that. So I really can't say how the monitor output volume behaves.

"IF YOU DONT LIKE IT LOUD THEN TURN BACK" submitted January 23, 2006

Overall
Musical Background: home recoring beat maker and rapper
Music Style: hardrap
Sound: it hits so hard and i love it!i have my monitors and two headphones hooked up to the presous hp.it is so load my nabors hate me but i love it.music has never been the same,if you cant bump like i bump then i cant even hear it so let me turn it up and tune your crap out. Feature: its a headpone amp and monitor control what ealse do u want it to do fly? Quality: it will last for ever.made well Value: had a crappy rolls waste of my money.bought this and ill never go back. Manufacturer Support: didnt need it didnt need the instruton The Wow Factor: it looks good i just dont like bule much Overall: never will replace it it works and it works well.

"High quality unit that does what it's suppose to." submitted December 20, 2005

Overall
Sound: Compared to a Behringer 1204 mixer I've been using to spread the signals prior to obtaining this unit, this is heaven. Totally transparent sound. Huge difference. The ONLY way, I repeat, the ONLY way this changes the signal is by changing it's volume! Perfect. Feature: Not many features, no. The features it DOES have are exactly what such a unit should have. If anything, it could use a second main out for another set of studio monitors for A/B sound testing. Quality: It's tough figuring out which section deserves a ten more ... the sound quality or the build quality. This is all metal. Everything. Jacks, knobs .. front, back, sides, top, bottom. All metal. Rock solid. It's quite heavy especially for it's size. I'm not expecting it to malfunction any time soon. The parts you've come to expect to be plastic are all metal on this. Value: It's expensive for what it does. I'm giving it a nine because you can get something cheaper, probably FAR cheaper, and get the same results. Products that come to mind are the Samson C-Control and the Behringer MINIMON MON800. The Samson does more but costs a touch more I believe. The Behringer (once released) will be a copy of the Samson at a third of the price. I can say one thing though, with either of those, you're guaranteed to get sub-par sound quality. I can't stress enough how crystal clear this keeps the signal that passes through it. Completely beautiful. Manufacturer Support: Haven't dealt with them and I doubt I'll need to. I'll give this a ten because the other catagories lend me to believe this section should have a ten as well ;) The Wow Factor: I wanted a high quality invisible headphone mixer with control for main monitors. This is what this is. It sounds awesome and looks very nice too. I definitely wanted it and it is why I purchased it. Overall: I can't believe how clean this sounds. I've said this a few times already and I need to say it again. It it totally invisible in the signal chain. It sounds like it's not there. It's how I want it to be. If anyone needs a physical control for the DAW and aren't in a giant studio environment with a physical console, then this is a very simple, elegant, and VERY high quality piece of gear. I highly advise it. I suggest anyone with doubts to go to a local music store, ask them to hook this up and then TRY to hear it. I bet you can't! It's that clean.

"Great, until it it a Cheech and Chong and went up in Smoke" submitted November 19, 2006

Music Style: Rock, Pop, Paise and Worship
Sound: Faithful and accurate Feature: not to many, but you could daisy chain it to another one. Ease of Use: Just plug in a go Quality: I used it for a handful of sessions and then smoke started coming out of it. The thing was fried. Value: Works well, after your done with your sessions and it burns out you can roast hot dogs. The Wow Factor: This is the first Presonus product that has just disappointed me. Overall: Bopefully this isn't par for the course, but with less expensive units out there you may want to look elsewhare.

"faulty unit. 3 channels and some smoke !" submitted November 17, 2008

Overall
Sound: the channels that did function buzzed when the faulty channel? was being used (brand new out of the box) Feature: if you call smoke a feature then there you have it Ease of Use: plug it in and watch it smoke Quality: not this one. im sure they make a few that are exceptional Manufacturer Support: have yet to contact the manufacturer

When you call, mention priority code 15Z8-4W49. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976